/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Invalidation of Deeds

Flame of Hope
02-27-2011, 02:22 PM
What are the things that can invalidate our deeds? I'm thinking if I know what these things are I will be more able to avoid those things. Can't avoid 'em if I don't know what they are, right? Any info on this will be MUCH appreciated. Jazakallah khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Reflections
02-27-2011, 02:56 PM
AsSalaamu Aalaykum

Hmm, first thing..boils down to your niyyah/intention, the opening of many books of hadeeths are first with the hadeeth of 'actions are judged by intentions, reported by Umar ibn Khattab (ra).....this hadeeth can be related to the topic...keep both your intentions and actions correct. Reminds me of a saying by the great Imam Shaafi'ee (along these lines) you can't do a good deed through the means of doing something bad...for example, to give sadaqah/charity, something Islam encourages us to do; so fulaan ibn fulaan has the intention of giving sadaqah, however he got the money through the means of stealing it and then gave it feesabililah,and on top expects some sort of ajar gained from it...that isn't correct..so always think whenever doing something, is your intention correct..if not, rectify it, and if you can't do that..leave the action.

Back to the topic of invalidation of deeds..these ayaat come to mind:

So woe to those who pray; those who are heedless of their prayer, those who make show [of their deeds];[Surah Ma'oon, verses 4-7]

Indeed, the hypocrites [think to] deceive Allah , but He is deceiving them. And when they stand for prayer, they stand lazily, showing [themselves to] the people and not remembering Allah except a little … [Surah Nisaa, verse 142]

---Riyya/Showing off...subhanAllah..one of the worst things to do..totally destroys ones deeds...

May Allah protect us from such evil whispers of shaytaan,Allahoma ameen

aadil77
02-27-2011, 03:37 PM
showing off will invalidate your good deeds

Flame of Hope
02-28-2011, 02:38 AM
I've read somewhere that if our earnings are not halal, for example, our deeds would not be accepted. Then there's also the problem of bi'dah and doing things that do not conform with the Sunnah. I'm sure there are more things that nullify our deeds.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Mufarridun
02-28-2011, 03:21 AM
Initially
* wrong/incorrect Niyah(Intentions). they must be done with pure/correct intention.
* wrong applications. they must be done in the way of the Quran and Sunnah.

If the deeds are done with correct intention, and follow the way of the Quran and Sunnah
then these are some that nullify those good/correct deeds

* wearing clothes that are not earned with halal wealth while performing those deeds
* having nourishment in your body, food, liquid, that are earned unlawfully i.e. stolen, bought with non-halal wealth...
* doing the deeds in a house, car, that are not earned in a lawful way
* showing off, after the deeds have been done, to others, such as talking about giving such person sadaqah(charity)
* after doing good deeds, following them with bad deeds, sinning.
* Hasad(Jealousy)

now a word of optimism. even though there are many actions that could cancel out ones good deeds, those deeds are canceled temporarily, for if the Mu'min repents his/her good deeds are restored and Allah(swt) in His infinite mercy will also replace the bad deeds of the Mu'min, when followed by repentance with good deeds.

Allah(swt) knows best.

Flame of Hope
02-28-2011, 06:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mufarridun
Hasad(Jealousy)
How does hasad cancel out our deeds?

Woodrow
02-28-2011, 09:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Flame
How does hasad cancel out our deeds?
I don't think it erases it in the sense of removing that which we had. It is more like it validates that we never had the proper intent for the deed and hence never did have credit for it.

More like an annulment, than an erasure.

ie: That darn Mr X donated $500 to my favorite charity. I can't let him show me up, just because he has more wealth than I have. It is not fair he has more money than I have. I'll donate $1000

My good deed was not because I wanted to give to the charity, it was because I was jealous of the wealth MrX has. My intent in donating was wrong. I did not do a good deed for the right purpose.

Flame of Hope
02-28-2011, 02:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
More like an annulment, than an erasure.
If hasad makes void our deeds, then there must be other diseases similar to hasad that also have the same effect? What do you think, brother?

Al-Mufarridun
03-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Assalaamu Alaikum;

Here are some Ahadith on this subject.

He (sallallâhû alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Beware of jealousy, for verily it destroys good deeds the way fire destroys wood." [Abû Dawûd]

At-Tirmîdhî narrated from al-Zubayr Ibn al-Awam that the Prophet (sallallâhû alaihi wa-sallam) said: "There has come to you the disease of the nations before you, jealousy and hatred. This is the 'shaver' (destroyer); I do not say that it shaves hair, but that it shaves (destroys) faith…" [(Hasan) Jamî at- Tirmîdhî (2434)]

when Allâh's Messenger (sallallâhû alaihi wa-sallam) was asked who are the best of people? He (sallallâhû alaihi wa-sallam) replied: "the one with a clean heart and truthful tongue."They asked: 'We understand a truthful tongue, but what does a clean heart mean?' he answered: 'It is the heart of one that is pious, pure, and is Free of sin, transgressions, hatred and Hasad." [Ibn Mâjah]

source

Allah(swt) Knows best!

Flame of Hope
03-05-2011, 07:47 AM
He (sallallâhû alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Beware of jealousy, for verily it destroys good deeds the way fire destroys wood." [Abû Dawûd]
Jazakallah khair for this information. I was looking for it. :)

Flame of Hope
03-05-2011, 08:06 AM
now a word of optimism. even though there are many actions that could cancel out ones good deeds, those deeds are canceled temporarily, for if the Mu'min repents his/her good deeds are restored and Allah(swt) in His infinite mercy will also replace the bad deeds of the Mu'min, when followed by repentance with good deeds.
Canceled temporarily? If a person doesn't even realize that he may be doing something that is nullifying his deeds how likely is he to repent?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!