/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Passion of the Christ

Wyatt
03-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Has anyone seen this movie? I watched it yesterday for perhaps the second time in my entire life. I was blown away at how good of a story it was on its own, even though I don't believe that it happened.

Is it consistent to how Islam sees the story of Yeshwa of Nazareth? I respect the Aramaic and Latin spoken language in the movie (and I loved being able to tell what they said and when they switched between them), however, it seemed like it may have portrayed the people who crucified him in an unrealistic light.

And, would Islam be against creating any movie showing the story of significant religious characters?

What do Christians here think of the movie? I think a lot of people would see the movie and think of that as exactly how it happened, when to me, that's very doubtful. I read the part in the Bible, and it could only be you know... Based on a (maybe) true story. I've heard it praised for it's supposed accuracy, but maybe that was referring to how people lived back then.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SalamChristian
03-02-2011, 01:36 AM
It is a very good movie. Notice that Judas hangs himself on a tree at the end, which is consistent with our Gospels, and then falls and his guts spill out. Our Gospels report that the Jews called the field "Hakeldema," ("field of blood"), out of fear of the blood they helped spill. There are two fields to this day which are called Hakeldema in Jerusalem:

en.wikipedia . org/wiki/akeldema

I had to put spaces in the URL, because I am new and I am not technically allowed to post links, out of fear that I might post something inappropriate. But, as you can see, this is a very appropriate link, so I posted it.

Salaam,
Bob

Ramadhan
03-02-2011, 02:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by
Is it consistent to how Islam sees the story of Yeshwa of Nazareth?

No.

And, would Islam be against creating any movie showing the story of significant religious characters?

In Islam, we are absolutely not allowed to even draw pictures of prophets (pbut), let alone stick a person acting as them (pbut).
But are allowed to narrate for them (pbut), thats how its done in movies about prophet Muhammad SAW.
Theres so much wisdom for this. One is to avoid shirk. Surely you have heard/seen how people worship religious characters.
Same with Eesa (pbuh) of nazareth. After his departure, the greek especially started to make statues of him and sooner turned into worship of him as god.

I've heard it praised for it's supposed accuracy, but maybe that was referring to how people lived back then.
Unless mel gibson already lived during 0-33 ad in palestine, theres absolutely no way you can check for accuracy.

PouringRain
03-02-2011, 04:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wyatt

What do Christians here think of the movie? I think a lot of people would see the movie and think of that as exactly how it happened, when to me, that's very doubtful. I read the part in the Bible, and it could only be you know... Based on a (maybe) true story. I've heard it praised for it's supposed accuracy, but maybe that was referring to how people lived back then.
I have never seen it, and to be honest I have actually not had any desire to see it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rabi Mansur
03-02-2011, 05:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wyatt
What do Christians here think of the movie? I think a lot of people would see the movie and think of that as exactly how it happened, when to me, that's very doubtful. I read the part in the Bible, and it could only be you know... B
Mel Gibson based it on the "visions" of a nun (I think she was a stigmatist-Therese Neuman?) who claimed to have visions of the last week of the life of Jesus (PBUH).

The story conflicts somewhat with the gospels and it is not accurate. Notice that some of the events are not in the Bible and he has Mary dressed almost like a nun. I doubt Mariam would have dressed that way 2000 years ago. The story clearly is not consistent with Al Quran.

But what I did like about it was the use of Latin and Aramaic. It was a pretty intense picture. I saw it when it first came out and it really had an effect on me for awhile. The use of Latin and Aramaic was very effective.
:wa:

karima
03-02-2011, 07:16 PM
i have seen it and it is a very good movie, mashaallah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!