/* */

PDA

View Full Version : If Allah exists...

APL
03-06-2011, 03:21 AM
Hello everyone, I think this is a fundamental question and I'm surprised it has not been asked in the context of Islam. If Allah exists, why do bad things happen to good people? There are people who are intelligent and successful but do not believe in Islam while there are hard-working believers who suffer for no discernible reason.

Now I can foresee some of the answers to this question, so I'll try to post what I think some people will say.

Some people might say that bad things are a "test" for people. Bad things happen to good people as a way for Allah to test someone's faith. The test may actually help the person, though he or she may not know it, and the person may be rewarded for their difficulties in the afterlife. However, this argument has been used in MANY religions I have come across. Many religions say that hardships are a test of faith, so what makes Islam different? If Islam has the same answer to the same fundamental question, then there's no reason for someone to be Muslim instead of Christian or Jewish.

Other people might say that bad things happen because a person has been bad. However, I stress that this person in question has been, by all accounts, good, to the best of his or her ability. The person may be kind, compassionate, hard-working, pious, and an all-around good person, so why lay hardship on him or her? There are more corrupt, detestable people in the world who live their lives without ever suffering such hardship.

What about that person's goals and dreams and desires? Let us say that this good person has a good goal. This good person wants to help the poor people who suffer, and wants to do so by obtaining a job to best help the poor. The job may be to be a doctor to help the poor and sick, or an engineer, to build better living conditions for the poor. With such good intentions and goals, why should the person face hardship when another person may want to become a doctor or engineer just for the money?

I hope the good people of this forum can provide a rational, clear, descriptive answer to this question. It will not only help me, but I think it will help many people in embracing Islam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
CosmicPathos
03-06-2011, 04:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by APL
Hello everyone, I think this is a fundamental question and I'm surprised it has not been asked in the context of Islam. If Allah exists, why do bad things happen to good people? There are people who are intelligent and successful but do not believe in Islam while there are hard-working believers who suffer for no discernible reason.

Now I can foresee some of the answers to this question, so I'll try to post what I think some people will say.

Some people might say that bad things are a "test" for people. Bad things happen to good people as a way for Allah to test someone's faith. The test may actually help the person, though he or she may not know it, and the person may be rewarded for their difficulties in the afterlife. However, this argument has been used in MANY religions I have come across. Many religions say that hardships are a test of faith, so what makes Islam different? If Islam has the same answer to the same fundamental question, then there's no reason for someone to be Muslim instead of Christian or Jewish.

Other people might say that bad things happen because a person has been bad. However, I stress that this person in question has been, by all accounts, good, to the best of his or her ability. The person may be kind, compassionate, hard-working, pious, and an all-around good person, so why lay hardship on him or her? There are more corrupt, detestable people in the world who live their lives without ever suffering such hardship.

What about that person's goals and dreams and desires? Let us say that this good person has a good goal. This good person wants to help the poor people who suffer, and wants to do so by obtaining a job to best help the poor. The job may be to be a doctor to help the poor and sick, or an engineer, to build better living conditions for the poor. With such good intentions and goals, why should the person face hardship when another person may want to become a doctor or engineer just for the money?

I hope the good people of this forum can provide a rational, clear, descriptive answer to this question. It will not only help me, but I think it will help many people in embracing Islam.
you tell me what is good and what is bad? How is building better living conditions as an engineer for poor people good? Is it good because majority of humanity thinks it is good to help people? Or there are some objective reasons or natural laws for such an act to be good? I'd say that building better living conditions as an engineer for poor people is bad if it is negatively impacting your health cuz you are sleeping less due to high work load, causing you to have tension due to workload, spending less time with your kids as you have to work long hours to complete the project successfully etc etc....

APL
03-06-2011, 04:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
you tell me what is good and what is bad? How is building better living conditions as an engineer for poor people good? Is it good because majority of humanity thinks it is good to help people? Or there are some objective reasons or natural laws for such an act to be good? I'd say that building better living conditions as an engineer for poor people is bad if it is negatively impacting your health cuz you are sleeping less due to high work load, causing you to have tension due to workload, spending less time with your kids as you have to work long hours to complete the project successfully etc etc....
Trying to help people in need should be seen as a good deed should it not? One of the pillars of Islam has to do with helping the poor, so an engineer tackling the problem using his skill set shouldn't be much different. As for sacrificing health and time to help the poor, I think it is analogous to parents sacrificing their time and health to raise a child. Mothers and fathers give up much of their time and energy to raise a child, and an engineer does something similar in order to help poor people in need of better living conditions.

But let us assume that detrimental activities actually ARE bad, despite the good intentions of the person. Let us assume that the engineer is actually very disciplined, and has managed to balance work and family such that he has time for raising kids and completing his work. Or, let's just say that the engineer is single, and focuses on his work to help the poor and plans to marry later. The point is, the person has good intentions, and has tried to the best of his or her ability to be good. Why punish this person or let him or her suffer? There are other engineers and doctors out there that have no regard for human well being. Are you saying that this engineer, despite his good intentions, should be punished whereas the engineer that just wants money to feed his desires goes on to live his life scot-free?

Hamza Asadullah
03-06-2011, 05:18 AM

Asalaamu Alaikum, Brother firstly you or i are not in a position to judge the life of others. Be they poor, rich, handsome or ugly. We do not know what they go through on a daily basis. It maybe that a rich man although may look happy to you on the outiside but we know nothing about what turmoil or anguish he is going through in his life. You may look at a poor man but is may be completly content and happy with his life even more than the rich man.

Why are suicide rates in the west so much higher than anywhere else in the world? Even though the west has all of the riches in the world. Simply because people are not happy or content with their lives even though they may have wealth. Just a couple of months ago in the UK in London this millionnaire committed suicide. His family was asked his story and his mother said that he lived a normal life until he won a lot of money on th lottery. After that he bought himself a huge house and lived in it partying all of the time with his friends and he lived a life of indulgence. She mentioned sadly that out of the blue he just took his own life. When it was asked of her why her son did such a thing she said that if he did'nt win the lottery then he would still be alive today. When he won the lottery he bought whatever he wanted and he lived the high life but he was never happy. He died in a huge house all alone out of misery.

I also remember watching a documentary of a celebrity property developer who went to the slums of Bombay. He was astounded when he went there and what he had experienced. He said in a place of such poverty you would have thought that you would see people who would be miserable and depressed but they are so happy. He kept saying why are they so happy? He just could'nt understand why they were so much happier than people in the west. In the end he accepted that although these people may be the poorest people on earth but they were content and happy because they had family and friends around them and they had just about enough to survive and that was enough for them. That changed his whole perception of life because it taught him that money does not by happiness but happiness and contentment comes from other things like family, religion, feeling a sense of belonging etc.

Therefore you should never "judge" another and say just because he is rich he is happy or he is poor he is unhappy because you could not be more wrong. You do not know anything about a persons life and what they are going through and what they have experienced etc. We cannot look at another person and say they are happy even though we may always see them smile because what a person is truly going through we would never know. What is hidden inside is not necessery going to be reflected in the exterior of a person.

So accept the fact that you cannot judge who is happy or unhappy for that is something we are not aware of. We can only judge our own lives. Wealth and riches although they may bring some ease in a persons life certainly do not bring about satsifaction, contentment and happiness for it may be that a poor man has a much richer and fulfilling life than a rich man who although has all the riches in the world may live an empty existence.

So we are clear now that you can only judge your own life not the life of others. You also judged how some people are given easy or hard tests but again how can you truly know what kind of tests a person goes through throughout their lives?

A person does not just go through one or two tests in their lifetime but one goes through many tests all throughout ones life. A person may have a simple test one day and somewhere down the line get hit by a very hard test.

We all go through a varying degree of tests in our life. It doesn't mean that we are given one or two simple or hard tests. You or i will never know what kind of tests a person will go through in our lives. People do not always advertise their tests. If we were to know the kind of tests people are going through i promise we would all be shocked and think how would we ever have guessed that person is going through whay they are going through.

So my brother do not judge the life of others by what you see on the exteriour or what you hear about from others as you and i do not know how happy or sad they are throughout their lives and you and i do not know what kind of tests they will go through throughout their lives. You will only ever truly know about a fraction of a persons life and what they have been through as whatever is in the heart is hidden from us so again do not judge the life of others.

What you see on the outside is notnecesserily what is reflected on what a person is feeling on the inside. Wealth does not bring happiness nor does beauty or health. A person who is poor, ugly or ill maybe much happier and content in their life than a person who is rich, A ugly person may have more contentment, happiness and peace in their heart than a person who is beautiful. An ill person may feel more contentment and happiness than a person who has health.

It maybe that a wealthy person loses their wealth. Or a healthy person loses their health. Or a beautiful person loses their beauty. We do not know what we have until its gone. None of these things cause lifelong happiness and so you or i cannot judge happiness or sadness in ones life based on these things.

You need to ask yourself what is the purpose of my life? Is it to live, work, marry have kids and die? No of course not and if you are Muslim then you would know that is not the answer. We are only created for one purpose and that is to worship Allah. Along our journey in life we will be tested. So in effect we are in a test ground. So obviously on a test ground we are going to be tested. Maybe right now you are being tested more than me. But maybe tomorrow or next week a bigger test may come to me and your test maybe eased. Life is full of varying degree of tests.

If you have an important exam then will you pass if you don't revise? The simple fact is that if you don't work hard and make the effort then you will fail. Therefore you will have to work very hard to pass your exams. Sameway we are in an examination but the only difference is it can end at any second as we are not aware when our exam will come to an end. So just like an examination there will be easier and harder tests. So if we want to pass we need to put the effort in and that applies to anything in life. You have to work hard to get what you want. Sameway if you want Paradise then you have to work for it.

But let me ask you something. our life is on average 70 years. Lets say your 30. You have on average 40 years left in this life. Now if you devote 40 years of your life to Allah then you will gain eternity of bliss in return. Is that fair?

40 years worship= Eternity in Paradise

That is very unfair. Why should we be given eternity of bliss in Paradise for only 40 to 50 years of devotion? That doesn't seem fair to me that we should be given so much for such little devotion. That is being too generous but Allah is the most generous. For just 40 - 50 years of suffering and patience he will give eternity of bliss in Paradise. That is like a few seconds compared to eternity.

Now if a person suffered more and was patient relying on Allah, invested more into the hereafter as in worshipping and pleased Allah and another person just did minimal as in prayed, fasted and kept away from major sin etc then is it fair that they both go to the same Paradise? Of course not and that is because there are many different levels of Paradise depending on how much one put into the hereafter and pleasing Allah. The more suffering one endures with patience and the more one invests into the hereafter the higher the rank of that person will be in Paradise. The difference between one Paradise to another is like this earth and when you look up at the night sky and the star that you see far far away.

So everyone will get what they are entitled to according to their situation and what they went through in life . That is something we cannot know or judge. Only Allah has that knolwedge for he is the best of all judges and Ais most just and true justice will ONLY happen in the next world.

Therefore we are getting SO much more in return for our short life in this world yet we still complain? In the hereafter the currency will be good deeds not money or gold. Once we see our deeds we will wish we went through so much more suffering and endured it for the pleasure of Allah just so that we can gain more good deeds.

So the Reward of going through difficult trials and hardships is so much more than the suffering that oen would have gone through!

Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, "On the Day of Resurrection, when people who have suffered affliction are given their reward, those who are healthy will wish their skins had been cut to pieces with scissors when they were in the world." (Al-Tirmidhi #1570)

We will wish we had invested so much more just so that could have had more good deeds. We will wish we were taken back to the earth so that we can live this life again just so that we can live a life pleasing Allah and doing good deeds but we will not be able to as this is our ONLY chance. We must NOT waste this one chance we have.

Shaythan is always trying to deter us from the right path and one of the ways he tries this is by telling us how unfair Allah is when in reality what we will get in return for our devotion and patience is WAY TOO MUCH than we deserve. It is a bit like your manager giving you a million pounds a day for the current job you are doing. The simple fact is will get MUCH more than we can ever comprehend for the little good we would have done in this world.

If we think deeply about the favours Allah has done for us for will never be able to comprehend his favours because they are too numerous. What is required of us is so little in return for what we will get inshallah. So let us realise that Allah has given us too too much for us to ever even think of thinking of him as being unfair. He created us so knows what is best for us.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
03-06-2011, 06:07 AM
Trying to help people in need should be seen as a good deed should it not? One of the pillars of Islam has to do with helping the poor, so an engineer tackling the problem using his skill set shouldn't be much different. As for sacrificing health and time to help the poor, I think it is analogous to parents sacrificing their time and health to raise a child. Mothers and fathers give up much of their time and energy to raise a child, and an engineer does something similar in order to help poor people in need of better living conditions.

But let us assume that detrimental activities actually ARE bad, despite the good intentions of the person. Let us assume that the engineer is actually very disciplined, and has managed to balance work and family such that he has time for raising kids and completing his work. Or, let's just say that the engineer is single, and focuses on his work to help the poor and plans to marry later. The point is, the person has good intentions, and has tried to the best of his or her ability to be good. Why punish this person or let him or her suffer? There are other engineers and doctors out there that have no regard for human well being. Are you saying that this engineer, despite his good intentions, should be punished whereas the engineer that just wants money to feed his desires goes on to live his life scot-free?
Again, why is helping poor people good? Are you saying that this engineer's intentions to help poor ppl can be called "good" cuz it seems that way to you? In other words, I am asking how do you define what is good and what is not? I am not talking about what Islam says about it. I am talking from a neutral point of view, when a person does not believe in anything.

marwen
03-06-2011, 07:32 AM
we should take the Life+Afterlife as a whole period = justice.
Besides in this life only, a bad thing as it appears to us may not be as bad as we think : it may be a test, or it may be less bad than something that could have happened to you.

Alpha Dude
03-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Many religions say that hardships are a test of faith, so what makes Islam different?
Islam doesn't say that hardships by themselves are the only test of faith. Every single little aspect of life from birth till death is considered a part of the test. We are being watched and our deeds are marked down by angels every day. We will be tested with good stuff and bad. I.e. what did you do with the wealth, health, youth you were blessed with etc.

An important point to accept in order to fully appreciate the nature of this test and why bad things happen, is that this world is finite. It is like a day or part of a day of the real time-line (the hereafter).

Our life here and whatever happiness we can gain is not going to last forever and neither should be seen as an objective. The objective ought to be in passing the test and attaining paradise.

Being good does not necessitate reward in this world. In fact, we are told time and again, that those who are dearer to Allah are those who he will try more than others. Hence why you'll see in the literature on the Prophets, peace be upon them, that they experienced a lot of grief and troubles.

Hardship wipes away sins. We are told in hadith the even the pricking of a thorn is enough to wipe sin. Now, on the day of judgement, the only thing that will be of importance is whether our scales weigh heavy on the good side: hell is something so harsh and extreme that we want to avoid it at all cost. This is enough to understand the hidden blessing behind hardships.

Non-muslims who do good works will be rewarded in this life, if they don't accept faith.

If Islam has the same answer to the same fundamental question, then there's no reason for someone to be Muslim instead of Christian or Jewish.
This is an incorrect approach. If we have determined that Prophet Sallalahu Alaihe Wassalalam was a Prophet and that the Quraan is of divine origin, we have no (rational) choice but to be Muslim. Any similarities between what other religions say is irrelevant, once we have truth established.

Tanya Khan
03-07-2011, 12:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
Asalaamu Alaikum, Brother firstly you or i are not in a position to judge the life of others. Be they poor, rich, handsome or ugly. We do not know what they go through on a daily basis. It maybe that a rich man although may look happy to you on the outiside but we know nothing about what turmoil or anguish he is going through in his life. You may look at a poor man but is may be completly content and happy with his life even more than the rich man.

Why are suicide rates in the west so much higher than anywhere else in the world? Even though the west has all of the riches in the world. Simply because people are not happy or content with their lives even though they may have wealth. Just a couple of months ago in the UK in London this millionnaire committed suicide. His family was asked his story and his mother said that he lived a normal life until he won a lot of money on th lottery. After that he bought himself a huge house and lived in it partying all of the time with his friends and he lived a life of indulgence. She mentioned sadly that out of the blue he just took his own life. When it was asked of her why her son did such a thing she said that if he did'nt win the lottery then he would still be alive today. When he won the lottery he bought whatever he wanted and he lived the high life but he was never happy. He died in a huge house all alone out of misery.

I also remember watching a documentary of a celebrity property developer who went to the slums of Bombay. He was astounded when he went there and what he had experienced. He said in a place of such poverty you would have thought that you would see people who would be miserable and depressed but they are so happy. He kept saying why are they so happy? He just could'nt understand why they were so much happier than people in the west. In the end he accepted that although these people may be the poorest people on earth but they were content and happy because they had family and friends around them and they had just about enough to survive and that was enough for them. That changed his whole perception of life because it taught him that money does not by happiness but happiness and contentment comes from other things like family, religion, feeling a sense of belonging etc.

Therefore you should never "judge" another and say just because he is rich he is happy or he is poor he is unhappy because you could not be more wrong. You do not know anything about a persons life and what they are going through and what they have experienced etc. We cannot look at another person and say they are happy even though we may always see them smile because what a person is truly going through we would never know. What is hidden inside is not necessery going to be reflected in the exterior of a person.

So accept the fact that you cannot judge who is happy or unhappy for that is something we are not aware of. We can only judge our own lives. Wealth and riches although they may bring some ease in a persons life certainly do not bring about satsifaction, contentment and happiness for it may be that a poor man has a much richer and fulfilling life than a rich man who although has all the riches in the world may live an empty existence.

So we are clear now that you can only judge your own life not the life of others. You also judged how some people are given easy or hard tests but again how can you truly know what kind of tests a person goes through throughout their lives?

A person does not just go through one or two tests in their lifetime but one goes through many tests all throughout ones life. A person may have a simple test one day and somewhere down the line get hit by a very hard test.

We all go through a varying degree of tests in our life. It doesn't mean that we are given one or two simple or hard tests. You or i will never know what kind of tests a person will go through in our lives. People do not always advertise their tests. If we were to know the kind of tests people are going through i promise we would all be shocked and think how would we ever have guessed that person is going through whay they are going through.

So my brother do not judge the life of others by what you see on the exteriour or what you hear about from others as you and i do not know how happy or sad they are throughout their lives and you and i do not know what kind of tests they will go through throughout their lives. You will only ever truly know about a fraction of a persons life and what they have been through as whatever is in the heart is hidden from us so again do not judge the life of others.

What you see on the outside is notnecesserily what is reflected on what a person is feeling on the inside. Wealth does not bring happiness nor does beauty or health. A person who is poor, ugly or ill maybe much happier and content in their life than a person who is rich, A ugly person may have more contentment, happiness and peace in their heart than a person who is beautiful. An ill person may feel more contentment and happiness than a person who has health.

It maybe that a wealthy person loses their wealth. Or a healthy person loses their health. Or a beautiful person loses their beauty. We do not know what we have until its gone. None of these things cause lifelong happiness and so you or i cannot judge happiness or sadness in ones life based on these things.

You need to ask yourself what is the purpose of my life? Is it to live, work, marry have kids and die? No of course not and if you are Muslim then you would know that is not the answer. We are only created for one purpose and that is to worship Allah. Along our journey in life we will be tested. So in effect we are in a test ground. So obviously on a test ground we are going to be tested. Maybe right now you are being tested more than me. But maybe tomorrow or next week a bigger test may come to me and your test maybe eased. Life is full of varying degree of tests.

If you have an important exam then will you pass if you don't revise? The simple fact is that if you don't work hard and make the effort then you will fail. Therefore you will have to work very hard to pass your exams. Sameway we are in an examination but the only difference is it can end at any second as we are not aware when our exam will come to an end. So just like an examination there will be easier and harder tests. So if we want to pass we need to put the effort in and that applies to anything in life. You have to work hard to get what you want. Sameway if you want Paradise then you have to work for it.

But let me ask you something. our life is on average 70 years. Lets say your 30. You have on average 40 years left in this life. Now if you devote 40 years of your life to Allah then you will gain eternity of bliss in return. Is that fair?

40 years worship= Eternity in Paradise

That is very unfair. Why should we be given eternity of bliss in Paradise for only 40 to 50 years of devotion? That doesn't seem fair to me that we should be given so much for such little devotion. That is being too generous but Allah is the most generous. For just 40 - 50 years of suffering and patience he will give eternity of bliss in Paradise. That is like a few seconds compared to eternity.

Now if a person suffered more and was patient relying on Allah, invested more into the hereafter as in worshipping and pleased Allah and another person just did minimal as in prayed, fasted and kept away from major sin etc then is it fair that they both go to the same Paradise? Of course not and that is because there are many different levels of Paradise depending on how much one put into the hereafter and pleasing Allah. The more suffering one endures with patience and the more one invests into the hereafter the higher the rank of that person will be in Paradise. The difference between one Paradise to another is like this earth and when you look up at the night sky and the star that you see far far away.

So everyone will get what they are entitled to according to their situation and what they went through in life . That is something we cannot know or judge. Only Allah has that knolwedge for he is the best of all judges and Ais most just and true justice will ONLY happen in the next world.

Therefore we are getting SO much more in return for our short life in this world yet we still complain? In the hereafter the currency will be good deeds not money or gold. Once we see our deeds we will wish we went through so much more suffering and endured it for the pleasure of Allah just so that we can gain more good deeds.

So the Reward of going through difficult trials and hardships is so much more than the suffering that oen would have gone through!

Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, "On the Day of Resurrection, when people who have suffered affliction are given their reward, those who are healthy will wish their skins had been cut to pieces with scissors when they were in the world." (Al-Tirmidhi #1570)

We will wish we had invested so much more just so that could have had more good deeds. We will wish we were taken back to the earth so that we can live this life again just so that we can live a life pleasing Allah and doing good deeds but we will not be able to as this is our ONLY chance. We must NOT waste this one chance we have.

Shaythan is always trying to deter us from the right path and one of the ways he tries this is by telling us how unfair Allah is when in reality what we will get in return for our devotion and patience is WAY TOO MUCH than we deserve. It is a bit like your manager giving you a million pounds a day for the current job you are doing. The simple fact is will get MUCH more than we can ever comprehend for the little good we would have done in this world.

If we think deeply about the favours Allah has done for us for will never be able to comprehend his favours because they are too numerous. What is required of us is so little in return for what we will get inshallah. So let us realise that Allah has given us too too much for us to ever even think of thinking of him as being unfair. He created us so knows what is best for us.

And Allah knows best in all matters
Wow Mash'Allah. great words and an excellent explanation. That has really opened my eyes. Thank you so much. :statisfie
may Allah SWT reward you for your great effort. Ameen.
Pls remember me in you duas as I am going through a very difficult time. :cry:

Woodrow
03-07-2011, 12:57 PM
We all get faced with our share of burdens. The person who has a life of earthly pleasure and fulfillment, often has a very hard path to reach Jannah. We each get the trials we need to prepare us for the hereafter. We each face our limits in trials. Life is very fair as we all get exactly what we need, even if we do not want it.

You never know what is in a person's heart by seeing their exterior life. A very happy looking person with all of his material needs satisfied can very well have an evil heart, that is becoming even more evil by the temptations he faces because of his earthly life of ease.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!