/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do you serve the poor?

Asiyaah
03-07-2011, 12:37 AM
:sl:

Today I listened to an inspiring lecture by Tariq Ramadan about the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). One of the main points of the lecture was that to serve the poor was to walk in the footsteps of the Prophet (pbuh). I'd like to do something to serve the poor in my community but not sure what to do.

Would anyone mind sharing how they serve the poor? Or ideas how other serve the poor in their own community?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
03-07-2011, 01:13 AM

Just my opinion, I feel it is best if we do not make known how we as individuals serve the poor or give Charity in any form as then we are faced with the temptation of doing so for recognition and it is no longer an act of charity.

However some suggestions on how to help the poor.

1. If you have any helpful talents such as Medical training, carpentry, plumbing, legal advice, offer your services for free several hours per week.

2. Buy a meal for a hungry person

3. Offer transportation to those you know do not have their own

glo
03-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Our church provides a cooked breakfast on a Saturday morning.
It is a social and friendly affair and everybody is welcome. People make donations for their food according to their abilities. Some pay much, others pay little, some pay nothing.

We are also a distribution centre for the local Food Bank charity - where people can be referred to pick up food parcels with staple food items to use at home, when they have fallen on times of hardship (sadly, at this moment in time, the need is increasing incredibly!)

Increasingly we have poor and/or homeless people come and join us at the breakfast.

This Saturday one guy asked if we had sleeping bags. We don't ... but I know my husband and I will look for a sleeping bag to bring with us next week. We still have frost some nights, and I cannot imagine having to sleep outside!

Zuzubu
03-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Pay zakaat, build schools. etc.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
nature
03-07-2011, 08:19 AM

there was a thread on here, by sister harb i think asking for toy donations for children overseas, what about something along them lines ? also theres loads of poor/beggars everywhere in the world, muslim and non muslim, just buy them a meal. I believe its still charity whoever you feed. you could also sponser a child ? here in the UK, theres always loads of adverts on the telly asking for donations, to help rebuild childrens lives, those that are hit by devastation etc. what about saving someones sight ? you could also try get active within your community, theres a lot of things you could do. im sure you've got eldereley people in your area, what about helping them buy their groceries ? or taking them somewhere socially, esp if mobility is an issue, cooking them a small meal ? a little thing like that really makes a big difference to an OAP. Anything you do for someone else is charity.

Its really nice to hear of someone wanting to help others, unfortunately you dont get to see many people like that around nowadays.

good luck.

:wa:

MuslimMethod
03-12-2011, 10:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Our church provides a cooked breakfast on a Saturday morning.
It is a social and friendly affair and everybody is welcome. People make donations for their food according to their abilities. Some pay much, others pay little, some pay nothing.

We are also a distribution centre for the local Food Bank charity - where people can be referred to pick up food parcels with staple food items to use at home, when they have fallen on times of hardship (sadly, at this moment in time, the need is increasing incredibly!)

Increasingly we have poor and/or homeless people come and join us at the breakfast.

This Saturday one guy asked if we had sleeping bags. We don't ... but I know my husband and I will look for a sleeping bag to bring with us next week. We still have frost some nights, and I cannot imagine having to sleep outside!
Mashallah, that's really good! I know what you mean, I see people sleeping in the cold all the time as I goto school downtown Toronto and its very sad. I wish I could do more but I'm a student and don't have much disposible income. Hopefully one day I can make a difference as well.

Continue the good work!

yas2010
03-12-2011, 11:11 PM
I wish I could do more but I'm a student and don't have much disposible income. Hopefully one day I can make a difference as well.

Salaam brother,

Have you considered just giving a little of your time.

Whilst I was at university ( many moons ago) i volunteered at a local food kitchen that provided hot meal for the homeless in Manchester, UK.
It was a very humbling experience.

Its just an idea.

JK

Ali Mujahidin
03-13-2011, 01:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by
Have you considered just giving a little of your time.

Very good idea. Costs you nothing but means a lot to them. At the very least, you give them hope that they are not forgotten. Insha Allah.

Woodrow
03-14-2011, 02:04 AM
One of the best things you can give a poor person is simply recognizing them as being human and that their poverty is not by choice.Very often a person who lives in poverty will suffer a lot of self blame, feel separated from the human race and rapidly loose any sense of self worth.

When you see a poor person on the street. do not see them as a poor person, see them as your Brother or Sister in humanity. Greet the poorest person you see in the same manner you would greet the wealthiest person you know. Keep in mind it is probably only your next pay check that is keeping you from facing a life of poverty. Any earthly wealth and prestige a person has, can vanish in a moment, without warning. We all are susceptible to having to live in poverty,

Always remember a poor person is still a human being and the emotional pain they face is often worse than the lack of material goods. A pleasant and understanding greeting can often be the best of charity.

IAmZamzam
03-14-2011, 02:34 AM
Spend extensive time at freerice.com as often as you can. You don't have to spend a penny; the banners at the bottom of the screen provide the money for the poor. (EDIT: Hmmm...looks like you need to sign up now and the sign-up page--for me, at least--isn't working. It didn't use to be like this....)

Probably this depends on where you live, but gas stations and fast food restaurants around me frequently tend to contain a lot of change boxes for charities. CoinStar machines also have various donation options in addition to the change-making one.

IAmZamzam
03-14-2011, 02:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
One of the best things you can give a poor person is simply recognizing them as being human and that their poverty is not by choice.Very often a person who lives in poverty will suffer a lot of self blame, feel separated from the human race and rapidly loose any sense of self worth.

When you see a poor person on the street. do not see them as a poor person, see them as your Brother or Sister in humanity. Greet the poorest person you see in the same manner you would greet the wealthiest person you know. Keep in mind it is probably only your next pay check that is keeping you from facing a life of poverty. Any earthly wealth and prestige a person has, can vanish in a moment, without warning. We all are susceptible to having to live in poverty,

Always remember a poor person is still a human being and the emotional pain they face is often worse than the lack of material goods. A pleasant and understanding greeting can often be the best of charity.
Yes...but all the same watch out for frauds. In America at least there are a lot of con artists out there pretending to be homeless. I remember one who approached me three times in the same parking lot with the same story about being on her way to Texas or something.

Woodrow
03-14-2011, 03:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
Yes...but all the same watch out for frauds. In America at least there are a lot of con artists out there pretending to be homeless. I remember one who approached me three times in the same parking lot with the same story about being on her way to Texas or something.
That is true and a good reason why sometimes non-monetary charity is the best kind. I believe I have come across frauds in every country I have ever been in. Yet the presence of frauds is no need to fear giving charity. One thing I have often found is the truly poor will seldom approach you, you need to seek out and find them.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!