/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Interested in Islam

Jonah4:10-11
03-07-2011, 05:23 AM
I'm joining this site to learn about Islam and hopefully challenge my own perceptions of it.

I grew up in an evangelical church in the U.S. I'm sure much of my understanding of Islam is still rooted from what I was taught there. Hopefully, I'll broaden my understanding.

As for myself, I don't feel that I fit into a specific label. I don't know what I believe. If nothing else, I would say I'm open.
Anyway, I'm glad to be here.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aprender
03-07-2011, 05:25 AM
Salaam!

Welcome to the message board brother! I hope that you find the answers that you seek here! :-)

abjad
03-07-2011, 05:32 AM
asalaam aleykum

welcome on board

http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...does-mean.html

Aprender
03-07-2011, 05:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jonah4:10-11
I'm joining this site to learn about Islam and hopefully challenge my own perceptions of it.

I grew up in an evangelical church in the U.S. I'm sure much of my understanding of Islam is still rooted from what I was taught there. Hopefully, I'll broaden my understanding.
If you don't mind my asking, what were some of the things you were taught about Islam?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Jonah4:10-11
03-07-2011, 06:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
If you don't mind my asking, what were some of the things you were taught about Islam?
I'm not sure I can really relate exactly what I was taught.
Some of the stuff was pretty general, though I can't say I'm necessarily certain of its accuracy. We learned the pillars, some of the customs of some local mosques.

I think the stuff that struck me as odd then is a little easier to relate.
We focused on the "political nature" of Islam. The belief being, that Islam and a secular state are always in contention. In many ways, Islam was a threat to "America."
No matter how 'moderate' a Muslim was, they were still part of a system that couldn't be reconciled. Furthermore, Muslims couldn't be trusted in our military or our government. If we did trust them, we could expect them to betray information to different terrorist or 'Anti-American' groups.

We also talked about the 'sixth pillar' of Islam being Jihad.
While Muslims might say that jihad was a primarily personal the real focus was on the external(war).

Oh, and Allah allows Muslims to lie to infidels in order to deceive them into having a more accepting view of Islam.

We learned the pillars as well as some of the customs of different Mosques. And then we discussed
Beyond that, a lot of i

- Qatada -
03-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Hi Jonah :)

here's a good link to answer your doubts on the issues you mentioned in your post;

http://www.islamreligion.com/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!