/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Non-Muslims! How do you know that your religion is true?

Flame of Hope
03-07-2011, 07:52 PM
A question for non-Muslims. How do you know that your religion is true?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zuzubu
03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Because the light shows me the truth. =)

glo
03-07-2011, 08:08 PM
I don't KNOW that my beliefs are true.
By definition religion/belief in G/god(s) is based on faith and cannot be proven. There will always be people who claim that there is some proof or another ... but none of those 'proofs' stand up to scientific scrutiny.

Whilst I don't KNOW that my beliefs are true, I remember a moment in my life where I reached a point of conviction, and it has continued to grow over the years. I would describe it as a calling or a touch by God himself.
I am sure that that conviction is from God. It has given me a framework which to live my life by, which gives me purpose and peace and joy.

I cannot really say any more than that, as further details of why and how I came to faith would go against forum rules.

Flame of Hope
03-07-2011, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I cannot really say any more than that, as further details of why and how I came to faith would go against forum rules.
We respect your right to believe what you do, even if you can't provide reasons for your beliefs. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
abjad
03-07-2011, 09:46 PM
my religion is Islam....
please log on the thread i think u will find who asked and his)as christian) and yet his remarks to the answer.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1135621AA3zDyQ

CosmicPathos
03-07-2011, 10:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Flame
A question for people of all religions. How do you know that your religion is true?
just wondering, are you ok? You've been asking this question countless times. There was a similar thread started by you. Sounds pretty weird for a Muslim "sister". I just hope its not a troll.

Flame of Hope
03-07-2011, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
There was a similar thread started by you. Sounds pretty weird for a Muslim "sister". I just hope its not a troll.
The earlier thread is asking MUSLIMS how they know Islam is true. This thread is asking NON-MUSLIMS how they know their religion is true.

If they are both the same, then I guess you are right in calling me weird and a troll.

If my questions are annoying people here or causing ANY disturbance, then I think it's best for me to leave this forum.

Jazakallah khair to all brothers and sisters who "tolerated" me during my brief stay here. I did learn much. :) Salam!

marwen
03-07-2011, 10:33 PM
^ not at all sister, your posts are not annoying. On the contrary, I think they are very beneficial and gave all of us an opportunity to rethink about our faith and to increase our iman.
I think there is a little misunderstanding in brother scientist's post.

yas2010
03-07-2011, 10:37 PM
salaam sister

If my questions are annoying people here or causing ANY disturbance, then I think it's best for me to leave this forum.

I like the questions you ask, they are thought provoking but also they allow my non-muslims friends to come to this forum and realise that 'we' muslims do not follow our faith blindly and we do like debate and transparency as much as the media portray us otherwise.

So don't leave the forum. :)

abjad
03-07-2011, 11:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by
I did learn much
....but am still learning...believe me; you are on the right forum i assure you;(by experience)
Be patient, A sabr jameel

remember..Iblis is always on the look out (a)you to make mistake and decide to leave BUT dont bow regret ask forgiveness, and keep on and that is you passed and for sure the next soon you will realize; and easily will avoid (i tell this i have experienced)
(b)causing conflict with your brothers and sisters(as the thread) never Bow ..Iblis laanatuLLAH aleyh;
is our enemy and that the words of our Lord.

so please stay and add me to your Contact.

shukran

Yes....asaa tuhibuna shey wa huwa sharulakum
wa asaa antakrahuna sheyin wa huwa Kheirun Laku
m"

Ghazalah
03-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Flame! I like your threads, stay! imsad

I know that Islam is the true religion, because for every point, there is logical reason to it.

Flame of Hope
03-08-2011, 12:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hodi
remember..Iblis is always on the look out (a)you to make mistake and decide to leave BUT dont bow regret ask forgiveness, and keep on and that is you passed and for sure the next soon you will realize; and easily will avoid (i tell this i have experienced)
(b)causing conflict with your brothers and sisters(as the thread) never Bow ..Iblis laanatuLLAH aleyh;
is our enemy and that the words of our Lord.
Jazakallah khair for reminding me about Iblis, kind brother hodi! Gosh! I used to have a signature seeking refuge in Allah from Shaytan. Silly of me to remove it. What an enemy he is! Alhamdulillahir Rabbil al ameen for giving me brothers and sisters to remind and encourage me.

Flame of Hope
03-08-2011, 12:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by yas2010
I like the questions you ask, they are thought provoking but also they allow my non-muslims friends to come to this forum and realise that 'we' muslims do not follow our faith blindly and we do like debate and transparency as much as the media portray us otherwise.
Very well said, my respected sister. Such was my intention when I started the threads, for I am very much against blind faith and wish for all people to use their minds and intelligence to know the truth. And if people do follow religion blindly, it isn't my intention to criticize them. But rather, it has been my hope that they learn something from other people's views and opinions who belong to the same faith as they do.

CosmicPathos
03-08-2011, 12:30 AM
The earlier thread is asking MUSLIMS how they know Islam is true. This thread is asking NON-MUSLIMS how they know their religion is true.

If they are both the same, then I guess you are right in calling me weird and a troll.

Jazakallah khair to all brothers and sisters who "tolerated" me during my brief stay here. I did learn much. :) Salam!
I was not being offensive. Just wanted to make sure if its not a troll.

I think I did not pay attention to the title of previous thread which was asking Muslims and this one is asking nonMuslims.

Flame of Hope
03-08-2011, 12:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
I was not being offensive. Just wanted to make sure if its not a troll.

I think I did not pay attention to the title of previous thread which was asking Muslims and this one is asking nonMuslims.
It was a misunderstanding as brother marwen pointed out. And then there was Shaytan who did his job in causing dissension. I forgive you brother scientist and I hope you will forgive me too. Please don't be soooooooooo stressed! If you come down to Earth, you will find much peace versus the stressed-out atmosphere there in Pluto. :D

abjad
03-08-2011, 05:29 AM
Alhamdulillahir Rabbil al ameen for giving me brothers and sisters to remind and encourage me.
Me too thank Allah, and those who "reminded me"

brother in Islam and sister in Islam

and yet we have a lot...as usual ....to Learn

glo
03-08-2011, 06:58 AM

I don't think you are a troll, Flame.

You are somebody you likes to ask questions and who wants to know more about others. If that makes you weird, then I am weird too! :thankyou:

I think learning about and from other people is a really important thing - especially in this day and age.
Stay as you are, sis, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise!

Zuzubu
03-08-2011, 07:09 AM
there is already 2 topics...

Flame of Hope
03-08-2011, 07:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zuzubu
there is already 2 topics...
This thread is not really for Muslims. So far only sis. glo has been kind enough to express her views about her religion. I'm hoping non-Muslims will feel free to discuss their beliefs and convictions here, without fear of being criticized. And all this is aimed towards a better understanding of each other and develop tolerance and respect for all members of the human family.

Lynx
03-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Hi Flame

Not all non-Muslims have a religion but to me I don't see any evidence for the existence of any of the particular gods or religion and it's hard to believe in stuff for no reason ;)

3rddec
03-08-2011, 09:34 PM
I will be honest; probably much the same process as youself. Also I have had life experiences which would be meaningfull to myself but never has God turned up at my door to tell me so in the end you have to follow your heart and intellect and have faith. In the end I can honestly say the only time I will know for definate will be when I die.

Love and respect

Flame of Hope
03-09-2011, 02:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lynx
Not all non-Muslims have a religion but to me I don't see any evidence for the existence of any of the particular gods or religion and it's hard to believe in stuff for no reason ;)
What sort of evidence are you looking for? :)

Flame of Hope
03-09-2011, 02:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 3rddec
In the end I can honestly say the only time I will know for definate will be when I die.
True. But wouldn't it be terrible if we found out that we were wrong after death?

Gator
03-09-2011, 03:45 AM
A question for non-Muslims. How do you know that your religion is true?
Hello, well I don't since that I believe ultimate truth is unknowable. But as an atheist, my best shot is based on what I find to be the most reliable description of reality based upon the the input my senses receive and how my brain processes it.

As yet, I have not heard a deity-based doctrine that explains existence as well as atheism does.

Thanks!

Lynx
03-09-2011, 06:27 AM
What sort of evidence are you looking for? :)
Hi, the evidence could be logical proofs like the cosmological argument or empirical proof like if I woke up one day and I saw God on Earth or something.

Ali Mujahidin
03-09-2011, 08:30 AM
As yet, I have not heard a deity-based doctrine that explains existence as well as atheism does.

Just curious. How does atheism explain existence?

Woodrow
03-09-2011, 01:48 PM
This thread is not really for Muslims. So far only sis. glo has been kind enough to express her views about her religion. I'm hoping non-Muslims will feel free to discuss their beliefs and convictions here, without fear of being criticized. And all this is aimed towards a better understanding of each other and develop tolerance and respect for all members of the human family.
:sl:

This thread has a built in problem. I doubt if many of our non-Muslim members will reply to this thread, as we have a forum rule "it is not permitted to promote any religion besides Islam."

I believe very few of our non-Muslims could answer this question without it being seen as their "promoting a religion other than Islam."

A non-Muslim member can find themselves receiving infractions for violating forum rules, if they are not very cautious in how they reply to this thread.

Gator
03-09-2011, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ThisOldMan
Just curious. How does atheism explain existence?
Of course atheism doesn't explain anything (my bad), as its just belief that there are no gods. Rather my belief that the universe and existence is based on non-conscious physical laws and natural processes, kind of makes sense of things for me.

Thanks.

Flame of Hope
03-09-2011, 04:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
This thread has a built in problem. I doubt if many of our non-Muslim members will reply to this thread, as we have a forum rule "it is not permitted to promote any religion besides Islam."
Jazakallah khair brother for clarifying. My intention was not to start a thread to encourage non-Muslims to promote their religion, but rather to encourage them to voice their convictions regarding their religion, but giving proof, evidence and reasons for their beliefs. Frankly, if what they believe is really true, then they should be able to prove it. This thread was meant as a challenge to them.

However, if I have violated any rule of this forum, please close down this thread.

YieldedOne
03-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Hmmm...found this interesting.

How do I "know" my religious preference to be true? Well, ultimately, I deepest religious belief is that there is a Creator who love humans and speaks to them via various methods (including holy writs). My religious preference is the One God whom Jesus, Abraham, Moses and David worshipped, the One God who related to each and prophetically spoke through each.

Personally, I believe that this God has spoken to me and, over the years, shown himself to be real as I've walked with him over the years.

I know that the One God is real because I talk to him through prayer and he talks to me through life and Scripture. I know the One God is real just like I would know if any other person were real. (I'm not solipsistic.) I believe in my personal experiences with my Uncreated Creator.

That's about it for me. :)

Ali Mujahidin
03-10-2011, 02:00 AM
Rather my belief that the universe and existence is based on non-conscious physical laws and natural processes, kind of makes sense of things for me.

Well, truth be told, that used to be make sense to me, too. Until Allah saw it fit to illuminate my mind with the Nur of Hidayah. Now I find my life more meaningful than being just a random collection of random events. Insha Allah, that may happen to you, too.

~ Sabr ~
05-30-2012, 02:24 PM
:bump:

Same question for our Non-Muslim members....

Darth Ultor
05-30-2012, 02:37 PM
I have no religion, I have faith. I'm only culturally Jewish. My belief is that God wants you to be a good person, lead a moral life, and worship none but Him. But He doesn't care what holidays you celebrate, what language you pray to Him in, or what religion you call yourself. You get rewarded or punished according to your actions is life.

~ Sabr ~
05-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Thank you for replying Darth Ultor.

Like the world is set in a certain way, the rain happens a certain way, a baby is made a certain way, everything has a step by step way of reaching the goal.

The true religion Islaam is also like this. By no means you are correct in a sense that:
format_quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultor
You get rewarded or punished according to your actions is life.
But this bit is incorrect:
But He doesn't care what holidays you celebrate, what language you pray to Him in, or what religion you call yourself.
Allaah clearly states in the Qur'aan:

"So We have revealed an Arabic Quran to you, in order that you may warn the capital city and all who live nearby..." (Qur'aan 42:7)

"We have made the Qur'an easy in your language so that they may take heed it." (Qur'aan 44:58)

"If We had made it a foreign Quran, they would have said, ‘If only its verses were clear! What? Foreign speech to an Arab?’ Say, ‘It is guidance and healing for those who have faith, but the ears of the disbelievers are heavy, they are blind to it, it is as if they are being called from a distant place.’ (Qur'aan 41:44)

"We have sent it down as an Arabic Qur'an so you people may understand / reason" (Qur'aan 12:2)

and:

"And whoever desires a religion other than Islam, it shall not be accepted from him, and in the hereafter he shall be one of the losers." (Qur'aan 3:85)

So even in Islaam like the world - everything is a certain way - if a person follows the teachings of Islaam, they will InshaAllaah go to Paradise.

Peace

Darth Ultor
05-30-2012, 02:53 PM
^ Every religion basically says that it's their way or the highway. The Christians say that too and quote scriptures. Even the Jews say that theirs is "God's religion" only without the idea that you have to be one of them in order to be seen as righteous in God's eyes and they don't see Heaven as a members only club. These attitudes of the "Big Three" are exactly why I reject the concept of religion.

~ Sabr ~
05-30-2012, 03:04 PM
I do beg your pardon if I offended you in any way Darth Ultor. Have you actually read up on Islaam and it's teachings, instead of looking at Muslims around you or on the internet?

Darth Ultor
05-30-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm not offended, I'm just stating what I believe. I have read into Islam. And I've read 18 chapters of the Quran. I don't feel it to be the true religion. I've gotten more spiritual fulfillment and felt closest to God by doing deeds like prayer, volunteer work for kids with cancer, or charity than I ever had by keeping kosher or dressing a certain way.

~ Sabr ~
05-30-2012, 03:21 PM
I've gotten more spiritual fulfillment and felt closest to God by doing deeds like prayer, volunteer work for kids with cancer, or charity
But this is a part of Islaam also :statisfie

than I ever had by keeping kosher
Halal meat - This is just making sure animals are slaughtered in the name of Allaah, that's it. What is so complicated about that?

or dressing a certain way.
I don't really think this applies to men - as the women have to cover up. The only MAIN thing with men is to not wear silky clothes or wear gold (they are female attributes anyway!)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!