/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam and integration

Paper
03-09-2011, 02:26 AM
Dear Forumers,
Recently in the Guardian, a UK news paper, there has been an article about a full Burqa-in-public ban proposed by France's president Nicolas Sarkozy. Can you believe that the opposition political party is considered the "conservative" party? It concerns me a little, as I would not want things in the UK to turn sour like they have in France. I was wondering about how well Muslims have integrated into British society, how do British Muslims feel about Britain, does British law inhibit British Muslims from conducting their lives as they wish, do British Muslims receive discrimination etc?

I think I would be the exact opposite of that a Muslim would want to meet, if BBC News is to be believed. I'm Jewish born. I'm gay. I'm an Atheist. Obviously I understand that Islam doesn't approve of any of these things (although as an Atheist it might be a bit difficult to get me to agree). My question is, how do British Muslims feel about potentially having to deal with people who in their eyes may be committing acts or hold beliefs that hold strong taboos among Muslim communities? Would it bother you to live next door to a Jew/Atheist/Homosexual? Would you be motivated to campaign to criminalise these things? Would you be moved to seek out and assault Jews or gays?

I'm never sure what to think. The media always shows the nutters, but every Muslim I've met pretty much has the attitude of "Good for you, but it's not for me thanks".

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
03-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Hey :) Thanks for your asking us on the forums.

I just want to link you to an article which may be of relevance;

The Religious Tolerance of Prophet Muhammad:

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/207/

It should address your question atleast to some extent.

Peace.

aadil77
03-09-2011, 11:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Paper
Dear Forumers,
Recently in the Guardian, a UK news paper, there has been an article about a full Burqa-in-public ban proposed by France's president Nicolas Sarkozy. Can you believe that the opposition political party is considered the "conservative" party? It concerns me a little, as I would not want things in the UK to turn sour like they have in France. I was wondering about how well Muslims have integrated into British society, how do British Muslims feel about Britain, does British law inhibit British Muslims from conducting their lives as they wish, do British Muslims receive discrimination etc?

I think I would be the exact opposite of that a Muslim would want to meet, if BBC News is to be believed. I'm Jewish born. I'm gay. I'm an Atheist. Obviously I understand that Islam doesn't approve of any of these things (although as an Atheist it might be a bit difficult to get me to agree). My question is, how do British Muslims feel about potentially having to deal with people who in their eyes may be committing acts or hold beliefs that hold strong taboos among Muslim communities? Would it bother you to live next door to a Jew/Atheist/Homosexual? Would you be motivated to campaign to criminalise these things? Would you be moved to seek out and assault Jews or gays?

I'm never sure what to think. The media always shows the nutters, but every Muslim I've met pretty much has the attitude of "Good for you, but it's not for me thanks".
nothin wrong with being a jew, we respect judaism alot more than any other faith

Obviously atheism and homosexual acts have no place in islam, but we will still tolerate you and treat you like any other person. We have no right to go and attack people we might not agree with.

Amat Allah
03-10-2011, 01:14 PM
It never matters who you are or what you are, we as Muslims obliged from Allah to treat all kind of people with kindness, respect and Justice ...this is how Allah taught us to be my respected...

and never forget that we are all the creature of Allah The Most Compassionate The Most Merciful and whoever tells you something else(whether from Muslims or non); like treating others than Muslims in a bad way then he is either an ignorant or a lair whom fears not the wrath of Allah...

my neighbours are my neighbours no matter what they are and still remain have their rights on me which Allah sat for them; they must be respected and treated with kindness and justice and must be helped whenever they need help and support and Allah says:

"Worship Allah and join none with Him in worship, and do good to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, Al-Masakin (the poor), the neighbour who is near of kin, the neighbour who is a stranger, the companion by your side, the wayfarer (you meet), and those (slaves) whom your right hands possess. Verily, Allah does not like such as are proud and boastful; (36)" Surat Annisaa

and in the hadeeth from Sahih Muslim the book of Imaan:

-It is narrated on the authority of Anas that the Prophet (may peace blessings be upon him) observed: By Him in whose Hand is my life, no, bondsman (truly) believes till he likes for his neighbour, or he (the Holy Prophet) said: for his brother, whatever he likes for himself.

-It is narrated on the authority of Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allah (may peace and blessing be upon him) observed: He will not enter Paradise whose neighbour is not secure from his wrongful conduct.

-It is reported on the authority of Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) observed: He who believes in Allah and the Last Day should either utter good words or better keep silence; and he who believes in Allah and the Last Day should treat his neighbour with kindness and he who believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his guest.

-It is reported on the authority of Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allah (may peace and blessings be upon him) observed: He who believes in Allah and the Last Day does not harm is neighbour, and he who believes in Allah and the Last Day shows hospitality to his guest and he who believes in Allah and the Last Day speaks good or remains silent.

and in Jami of the Tirmithi:

-Abu Sirmah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported the saying of Allah’s Messenger (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). ‘If anyone causes harm then he will be harmed by Allah. He who behaves in a hostile manner will be dealt with in a hostile way by Allah"

[Abu Dawud 3635]

-Mujahid narrated: A sheep was slaughtered for Abdullah ibn Amr (May Allah be pleased with him) in his house. When he came, he asked, “Have you given some to our Jew neighbour? Have you given some to our Jew neighbour? I had heard Allah’s Messenger say: "Jibril did not cease to instruct me about the neighbour till I thought that he would make him an heir".

[Abu Dawud 5152]

-Abdullah ibn Amr (May Allah be pleased with him) reported that Allah’s Messenger said, “The best of companions in the sight of Allah is he who is the best for his companions, and the best of neighbours in Allah’s sight is the best of them for his neighbour".

[Ahmed 6577]

And do you know my respected that in Islam that he is not a true believer who knew that his neighbour is hungry then slept while he can feed him but he didn`t ...

This is what Allah taught us through the religion of Islam which has been taught to us through His final Messenger; Muhammad Bin Abdillah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him and all messengers and prophets of Allah) and this is how Allah taught us to be Muslims my respected...

May Allah give you the best of this life and the best of the Hereafter Ameeeen

take care of yourself...

Humbly, your sister no matter what you are and who you are:

Amat Allah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zuzubu
03-10-2011, 02:22 PM
I will answer the title as I don't understand hebrew yet. =)

Muslims should keep their religion, and indeed countries like Turkey, Tunisia, France, Denmark, are banning the niqaab/burka/hijab, but we should integrate as we understand the society and become part of it, not that we assimilate our cloth and religion. =)

Paper
03-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Thank you for your replies, as I thought, the media tries to make muslims look bad. No doubt there are extremists and stereotyping muslims will only result in more extremists. I know a lot of young Muslims are angry with the discrimination they have to endure. I think the growing anonymity is causing fear all around.

My opinion is that Britain is a place where people can conduct their lives however they wish, so long its not stopping anyone else living their life. So I would support women wearing the Burqa, but similarly I would support depictions of Muhammed - as both are freedom of expression. I would not support a ban on the Burqa and I would not support protesting at public funerals/honoraries.

Zuzubu
03-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Paper, freedom of expression = you can tell your opinion without hurting people, and with true facts, not discriminations.

Sadly, if you speak bad to a european politician you have to pay him money, while he can say anything he wants to. :(

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!