/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami hits Japan after Earthquake.

yas2010
03-11-2011, 09:19 AM
:sl:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598 :cry:

lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un. 'Surely we belong to Allah and to Him shall we return' (surah al Baqra v 154)

I pray that Allah (Swt) grants mercy on all those affected.

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
03-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Has there ever been this many large and extra large earthquakes within short period of time in the past recorded history?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_re_...pan_earthquake

By MALCOLM FOSTER, Associated Press Malcolm Foster, Associated Press – 42 mins ago
TOKYO – A magnitude 8.9 earthquake slammed Japan's eastern coast Friday, unleashing a 13-foot (4-meter) tsunami that swept boats, cars, buildings and tons of debris miles inland. Fires triggered by the quake burned out of control up and down the coast, including one at an oil refinery.
At least one person was killed and there were reports of several injuries in Tokyo, hundreds of miles (kilometers) away, where buildings shook violently through the main quake and the wave of massive aftershocks that followed. A tsunami warning was issued for dozens of Pacific countries, as far away as Chile.
Japan's meteorological agency said that within two hours, large tsunamis washed ashore into dozens of cities along a 1,300-mile (2,100-kilometer) stretch of the country's eastern shore — from the northern island of Hokkaido to central Wakayama prefecture.
Prime Minister Naoto Kan said the quake caused "major damage in broad areas" but nuclear power plants in the area were not affected. The government prepared to send troops to the quake-hit areas.
"This is a rare major quake, and damages could quickly rise by the minute," said Junichi Sawada, an official with Japan's Fire and Disaster Management Agency.
TV footage showed waves of muddy waters sweeping over farmland near the city of Sendai, carrying buildings, some on fire, inland as cars attempted to drive away. Sendai airport, north of Tokyo, was inundated with cars, trucks, buses and thick mud deposited over its runways. Fires spread through a section of the city, public broadcaster NHK reported.
The tsunami also roared over embankments in Sendai city, washing cars, houses and farm equipment inland before reversing directions and carrying them out to sea. Flames shot from some of the houses, probably because of burst gas pipes.
Elsewhere, large fishing boats lay upturned on land, some distance from the sea.
Officials were trying to assess damage, injuries and deaths but had no immediate details. Police said at least one person was killed in a house collapse in Ibaraki prefecture, just northeast of Tokyo.

A large fire erupted at the Cosmo oil refinery in Ichihara city in Chiba prefecture near Tokyo and was burning out of control with 100-foot (30 meter) -high flames whipping into the sky.
NHK showed footage of a large ship being swept away by the tsunami and ramming directly into a breakwater in Kesennuma city in Miyagi prefecture.
In various locations along the coast, footage showed massive damage from the tsunami, with cars, boats and even buildings being carried along by waters. Partially submerged vehicles were seen bobbing in the water.
The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake was a magnitude 8.9, while Japan's meteorological agency measured it at 8.4. It struck at 2:46 p.m. and was followed by 12 powerful aftershocks, seven of them at least 6.3, the size of the quake that struck New Zealand recently.
A tsunami warning was extended to a number of Pacific, Southeast Asian and Latin American nations, including Japan, Russia, Indonesia, New Zealand and Chile. In the Philippines, authorities said they expect a 3-foot (1-meter) high tsunami.
The quake struck at a depth of six miles (10 kilometers), about 80 miles (125 kilometers) off the eastern coast, the agency said. The area is 240 miles (380 kilometers) northeast of Tokyo.
In downtown Tokyo, large buildings shook violently and workers poured into the street for safety. TV footage showed a large building on fire and bellowing smoke in the Odaiba district of Tokyo.
Several nuclear plants along the coast were partially shut down, but there were no reports of any radioactive leakage.
In central Tokyo, trains were stopped and passengers walked along the tracks to platforms. NHK said more than 4 million buildings were without power in Tokyo and its suburbs.
The ceiling in Kudan Kaikan, a large hall in Tokyo, collapsed, injuring an unknown number of people, NHK said.
Osamu Akiya, 46, was working in Tokyo at his office in a trading company when the quake hit.
It sent bookshelves and computers crashing to the floor, and cracks appeared in the walls.
"I've been through many earthquakes, but I've never felt anything like this," he said. "I don't know if we'll be able to get home tonight."
Footage on NHK from their Sendai office showed employees stumbling around and books and papers crashing from desks. It also showed a glass shelter at a bus stop in Tokyo completely smashed by the quake and a weeping woman nearby being comforted by another woman.
Several quakes had hit the same region in recent days, including a 7.3 magnitude one on Wednesday.
Thirty minutes after the main quake, tall buildings were still swaying in Tokyo and mobile phone networks were not working. Japan's Coast Guard has set up a task force and officials are standing by for emergency contingencies, Coast Guard official Yosuke Oi said.
"I'm afraid we'll soon find out about damages, since the quake was so strong," he said.
In Tokyo, hundreds of people were evacuated from Shinjuku train station, the world's busiest, to a nearby park. Trains were halted.
Tokyo's main airport was closed. A large section of the ceiling at the 1-year-old airport at Ibaraki, about 50 miles (80 kilometers) northeast of Tokyo, fell to the floor with a powerful crash.
Dozens of fires were reported in northern prefectures of Fukushima, Sendai, Iwate and Ibaraki. Collapsed homes and landslides were also reported in Miyagi.
Japan's worst previous quake was in 1923 in Canto, which killed 143,000 people, according to USGS. An earthquake in Kobe city in 1996 killed 5,502 people.

MartyrX
03-11-2011, 02:33 PM
In all reality its about normal, but the problem is we humans are everywhere so it seems like we are having more and more.

YieldedOne
03-11-2011, 02:44 PM
May Allah strengthen all who need it during this time!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdul-Raouf
03-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilahi Raji'oon

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Subhaan#Allaah it is sad news.

may Allaah ease the situations of those who have been affected and guide them to Al Islaam Ameen

peace

sister herb
03-11-2011, 07:24 PM
I just got information that one my friend was victim of this tsunami in Japan.

May Allah be mercy to her. I talked with her many times as she wanted to become muslim. I don't know if she read shahada before death but even she wished it.

Pray for her, people.

Trumble
03-11-2011, 10:38 PM
So sorry for your loss sister harb. imsad

This is terrible, and seems to keep getting worse. It's this that worries me most, now

The Associated Press is also now citing Japanese nuclear safety agency officials as saying that radiation levels inside one of the reators at the Fukushima-Daini nuclear power plant have surged to 1,000 times their normal levels after the cooling system failed. Pressure inside the reactor has risen to 1.5 times the level considered normal.
The last thing Japan needs now is a repeat of Chernobyl.

Ramadhan
03-12-2011, 12:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by
I just got information that one my friend was victim of this tsunami in Japan. May Allah be mercy to her. I talked with her many times as she wanted to become muslim. I don't know if she read shahada before death but even she wished it. Pray for her, people.

Inna lillaahi wa inna ilayhi raaji'un.

My work colleague was also in Japan, and alhamdulillaah was leaving Osaka (on the east coast where it's affected) the night before on a cruise ship. She just texted me she was on the sea near vladivostok and could feel the waves was pretty rough.

جوري
03-12-2011, 01:34 AM
May Allah swt make this easy for them .. such a tragedy sob7an Allah.. a horrifying tragedy ..

inna lillah wa'inna ilyhi raji3oon.. anyone of us could be next to any number of disasters.. sob7an Allah..

Trumble
03-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Seems things might be about to get much, much worse imsad

0828: Japan's NHK TV showing before and after pictures of the Fukushima-Daiichi plant. It appears to show that the outer structure of one of four buildings at the plant is no longer there.

0822: The Associated Press cites Fukushima Prefecture official Masato Abe as saying the cause of the white smoke seen above the plant is still under investigation, and that it's unclear whether there was an explosion.

0810: Japanese media reports say that radioactivity has risen 20-fold outside the Fukushima-Daiichi plant."
Source: BBC

If not incompetent design there is always natural disaster. Won't we ever learn and stop building these things?

Alpha Dude
03-12-2011, 09:03 AM
This is really intense. One thing after another. Earthquake, fires, tsunami and now nuclear meltdown.

nuub
03-12-2011, 09:49 AM
May Allah help those that are affected..

sister herb
03-12-2011, 10:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar

Inna lillaahi wa inna ilayhi raaji'un.

My work colleague was also in Japan, and alhamdulillaah was leaving Osaka (on the east coast where it's affected) the night before on a cruise ship. She just texted me she was on the sea near vladivostok and could feel the waves was pretty rough.
Salam alaykum

I am happy your friend is ok. I have friends also in Indonesia. What where effects in there?

Musalman
03-12-2011, 11:51 AM
May Allah save us and them from this earthquake. Ameen.

highway4
03-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Assalamu alaikum, Earthquakes are one of the minor signs of Qiyamaat (judgement day).. The rate of earthquakes increasing is a sign and reminder for us..

Ramadhan
03-12-2011, 02:15 PM
I am happy your friend is ok. I have friends also in Indonesia. What where effects in there?
By the time the waves reached northeastern islands of Indonesia, it was only less than half meter, similar to the effect of the tsunami in pacific northwest.

I think only in the next week that the Japanese government will have full picture of the number of the victims. I remember during the 2004 tsunami the first few days the number of victims was only reported as few thousands in Aceh, which then climbed quickly into hundreds of thousands after a week or two.

And with earthquake this big, Japan will experience more after-shock earthquakes, some of them pretty big, in the next few months especially, up to a couple of years, just like what has happened in the island of sumatra after the 2004 earthquake.

rose17
03-12-2011, 07:58 PM
lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un
may allah help those who are affected
and ameen to all the duas!

Trumble
03-14-2011, 09:09 AM

Minami Sanriku, once home of 18,000 people. imsad

muneeb_a
03-14-2011, 01:19 PM
May Allah swt protect and guide all those who are missing or are displaced and have lost their loved ones. Its a real tragedy that a tsunami, earthquake and nuclear reactor problems are occurring all at once. Islamic Relief currently has a donation page setup for the Japanese Tsunami, I have already donated, please do your bit too.

May Allah protect them all.

Ramadhan
03-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Islamic Relief currently has a donation page setup for the Japanese Tsunami, I have already donated, please do your bit too.

There are also several muslim organizations from Indonesia already sent their emergency and relief teams along with aid, one of which I am a donor is Dompet Dhuafa http://www.dompetdhuafa.org/

Vito
03-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Now comes the volcano troubles.. No rest for Japan at all.

Ramadhan
03-14-2011, 02:20 PM
As I've predicted, the official number of victims is still stuck at 1,800 although by most estimates it should rise above 10,000

Some scientific stats:

Scientists have said that the quake shifted earth axis by 10 cm and made the earth spins a bit faster so the day is now shorter by a few milionth a second. The 2004 sumatra quake made the day 6.8 millionth seconds shorter, and the 2010 chile quake made the day shorter by 1.8 millionth seconds.

Four of the ten largest earthquakes ever since the record began occurred in the past 6 years:
3. Sumatra, Indonesia – 26 December 2004 (magnitude 9.1)
4. Sendai, Japan – 11 March 2011 (magnitude 9.0)
6. Bio-bio, Chile – 27 February 2010 (magnitude 8.8)
9. Sumatra, Indonesia – 28 March 2005 (magnitude 8.6)

At least since the record keeping began a hundred years ago, the past decade has been the most active seismically - by far.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!