PDA

View Full Version : A's or B's

Beardo
03-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Clear cut question

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd Al-Maajid
03-12-2011, 06:55 AM
I would rather get a B while also learning a lot because grades doesn't matter all the time and learning is what will help you in your career.

For example, A manager would not promote a team member if he doesn't know about the project he's working on and though he has got good grades.

Sometimes grades does matter a lot and you need to cheat to get an A. :p Believe me you wont mind doing that if required...:D

Tyrion
03-12-2011, 07:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
Clear cut question
Not really. Like most things, it really depends... It depends on the class, the subject, the reason you took the class, etc... There are some classes where I'd like an A, but I don't care if I learn anything. At the same time, there are others where I'd much rather take something from the material, even if my grade suffers.

marwen
03-12-2011, 07:00 AM
isn't there a way to get A and have a good learning ? Anyway, once you get your diploma and start working you will know then that what you learnt is what matters, if you are still a student then no way to convince you to get a B instead of A :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd Al-Maajid
03-12-2011, 07:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
isn't there a way to get A and have a good learning ? Anyway, once you get your diploma and start working you will know then that what you learnt is what matters, if you are still a student then no way to convince you to get a B instead of A :D
Beardo needs to learn a lot of things...:p

If you get a B or even an F do not cry and never lose hope...:p Desi mom's not going to kill you...:D

Hannah.
03-12-2011, 12:06 PM
This reminds me.. I was 2 marks of an A in both of my a level exams. >_>

Zuzubu
03-12-2011, 10:56 PM
I want A's, if the informationa is not important

Ansariyah
03-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Truth is:

Have I ever gotten an A ...wishing I had a B instead? No.

GuestFellow
03-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Salaam,

I hate learning most of the time. So I go for the first option.

PouringRain
03-13-2011, 04:28 AM
I couldn't decide. If I was getting an A, but not learning "much" (translation: not learning anything) then the class would feel like a complete waste of my time. At the same time, if I was learning a lot, while also studying and working hard, then I would not be happy with the B. If a class was just plain difficult, and I wasn't learning anything, because I didn't understand any of it-- then I'd be happy just getting that C! :exhausted No one here wants to know how much I have studied in life (or not studied) and what kind of grades I have made. :nervous:

I guess I'll just vote for the easy A, and be happy for the class time to doodle, read, or write. :statisfie

Beardo
03-13-2011, 05:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
Truth is:

Have I ever gotten an A ...wishing I had a B instead? No.
That's an interesting way to put it, lol. Masha-Allah

Woodrow
03-14-2011, 06:38 PM
I remember in my grad school days and I was teaching at a University in Louisiana on a fellowship earning my MS. The first thing the university president told me was. Be nice to your A students one of them may make a great discovery and bring you fame. Be nicer to your B students one of them may become rich and give a substantial donation to the University. Be the nicest to your C students, one of them will probably be your boss someday.

Lynx
03-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Well,

A > B

So A

muslimah_91
03-19-2011, 05:37 AM
A+++ ......why settle for less!........

Beardo
03-20-2011, 03:09 AM
It's a close battle.

piXie
03-20-2011, 02:51 PM
The one who revises for knowledge and implementation will surpass the one who merely revises for a grade.

peace_maker
03-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Does getting an A mean by cheating and B by hard work?

Beardo
03-21-2011, 03:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peace_maker
Does getting an A mean by cheating and B by hard work?
Not necessarily!

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Assalaamu Alaaykum

Wheres the options for F's and U's? :-\

Nájlá
03-22-2011, 02:15 PM
How could anyone get an A and not learn anything or not much?

I voted for B cos I'd like to carry some knowledge with me

Reflections
03-22-2011, 02:41 PM
I think it depends on the subject being studied, the indervitual and so forth.

There are people-like one of my brothers, who paid little attention to his studies, was more into going out with friends etc and comes exam time..fly through it and get A's. On the other hand I'd have to revise day and night for weeks and finally reach the same sort of score.

But depending on how much I enjoy the subject, suppose I do, I'd study it to the best of my ability AND try my best to get A's.

id2
03-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Interesting question. I'd have to go with Tyrion here, it really depends on the material. For example if it its something Islamic I'm learning, or something that is beneficial for me then I'd go with a B but learning more. But if it's not then I'd go with an A but learn nothing. For example I'm currently a student and think and I'm told that 90% of the things I'm taught in Uni is useless. Also, the higher my mark, the more likely I'd get awards and scholarships so if I'm learning about things such as the "Philosophy of Architecture" (which I was) I'd go with A but learn nothing and hope I can get free money...I really find it hard to believe I'd ever need to access a mental database on useless things such as architectural philosophy.

peace_maker
03-23-2011, 03:25 PM
So I guess, A is for cramming or something like that.
For me, different subjects have different interets, I'm going for B though. But when it comes to History, A it is!

S.Belle
03-23-2011, 04:50 PM
im a crammer so A without learning much

Woodrow
03-24-2011, 02:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nájlá

Sadly in my university years I came across many who took courses they were highly proficient in, simply for the purpose of getting an A, with no need to study as they already knew more than what the course offered. Best example that comes to mind was 2 German students from Germany taking a class in introductory German and an Art teacher taking a course in Preliminary Drawing techniques. They got their A but did not learn one iota of new information.

tw009
04-13-2011, 02:52 AM

I've gotten an A in accounting and not learned much. It happens. My accounting prof would would give us review questions for exam and tell us that our exam will be just like this, so everyone would just memorize the review and not actually learn the concepts so when we went into the exam it was exactly what we were expecting! (He didn't even change the numbers around)

Therefore I did not learn anything in that class and got an easy A. ... and now I'm doing the same course again since I transferred to another uni and Im not liking it at all.

'Abd Al-Maajid
04-13-2011, 03:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tw009
I've gotten an A in accounting and not learned much. It happens. My accounting prof would would give us review questions for exam and tell us that our exam will be just like this, so everyone would just memorize the review and not actually learn the concepts so when we went into the exam it was exactly what we were expecting! (He didn't even change the numbers around)

Therefore I did not learn anything in that class and got an easy A. ... and now I'm doing the same course again since I transferred to another uni and Im not liking it at all.

I presume that you are either from India or Pakistan. :)

tw009
04-13-2011, 02:32 PM
^ lol no I am a Pakistani but not living in Pakistan.

Chavundur
04-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Get an A without learning much and revise , learn a lot too, easy solution

Laila-
04-13-2011, 09:29 PM
I got A in science exam, revised a lot when the exam was coming up, but now that the exam is finished I don't remember a single thing, but what matters to me is that I achieved an A, and when I come back to those topics when we have another exam then I'll just revise again for it, I mean what is the point in learning something but you get B for it, coz at the end of the day when you apply for college or anywhere else they will ask for your grades they wouldn't ask you if you still remember the things that you learned
but then again if you understand the work then it may help you in your later life

Laila-
04-13-2011, 09:37 PM

easy peasy... I've done this many times in my science exams, all I do is memorize the pages and for the sake of the exam, if your talking about maths then you need to learn the stuff as you need to be able to apply different methods
but at end of the day I personally prefer getting an A and not learning rather than getting a B and learning something

abdussattar
06-06-2011, 01:52 AM
Can you please teach me the trick to get an A without studying...?

Just_A_Girl13
06-06-2011, 02:01 AM
I have to say, I would rather make A's. I honestly care very little about school so I would rather take a class where I didn't learn much and get an A. That's just my opinion, of course.

Jalal~
06-06-2011, 03:51 AM
Weirdest thing ever: i made a D in english, but surprisingly, i learned the most from that class through all my years of ever going to school. May Allah Help Us All and grant us the highest level of Paradise.

Haya emaan
06-06-2011, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
Can you please teach me the trick to get an A without studying...?
i also need to learn that... without studying u can only get F^o)

Who Am I?
06-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Wait, where's the C option? That's what I usually got.

Sure, I could have had an A I guess, but I didn't really care. C = Continue on to the next thing.

سيف الله
06-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Salaam

Well I would rather learn and get a B, than get an A and forget everything I learnt after a couple of weeks.

I never liked grading systems anyway, its a poor way to judge the smartness and intelligence of someone.

oh, who has parents like these?

To Summarise - Asian grading system

A - Average

B - Below Average

C - Crap

D - Death

F - F***ed

Soooooo true. >_>

Who Am I?
06-07-2011, 03:39 PM
My parents were like that. They were never satisfied with anything less than an A or the occasional B. They really weren't happy with my C's.

Flame of Hope
06-07-2011, 07:29 PM
:sl:

I don't mind getting a C even. As long as I learn something from the experience, that's all that counts for me. lol.

Failure teaches success, goes a saying. And sometimes failure is better for a man than success. It teaches him humility. :)

Who Am I?
06-07-2011, 08:09 PM
My failures tried teaching me humility. It didn't take, though. ;D

May Ayob
06-07-2011, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Flame
I don't mind getting a C even. As long as I learn something from the experience, that's all that counts for me. lol. Failure teaches success, goes a saying. And sometimes failure is better for a man than success. It teaches him humility.
I agree well said sister Flame, Learning is the goal not getting high marks and boasting about it .
Salaam

Who Am I?
06-07-2011, 10:52 PM
I've always said that formal education is overrated. I'll take life experience over book learning any day.

Flame of Hope
06-07-2011, 11:02 PM
:sl:

There's a saying by Lowell.....

One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning. ;D

Alpha Dude
10-31-2011, 07:31 AM
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Galaxy
11-24-2011, 01:59 AM
I've chosen the second option...but if I want to get a scholarship to university I need an A average..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!