/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some resources: The importance of the sunnah

Ummu Sufyaan
03-12-2011, 10:36 AM
:sl:
I dont know if this is in the right section...

Anyway as the title suggests, i am looking for lectures and books (in Arabic or English) discussing the importance of the sunnah. A good example of the type of source i am looking for, is along the line of Jamal ud-Deen Zarabozo's "The Authority and importance of the Sunnah."*

Specifically, i am looking for a source/s which address this type question:

What is the ruling of someone who rejects something from the sunnah even if that particular thing is not considered obligatory?

In light of the fact that it is from the sunnah yet someone rejects/denys that it is from the sunnah, what is the ruling on that. im not asking in respect to whether that particular thing maybe obligatory or not, but the simple fact that it is approved by and is a part of the sunnah and yet one rejects/deny's/claims that it isnt...what is the ruling on such

do let me know if the question doesnt make sense.

-----
*is this book available in Arabic?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
missy
03-12-2011, 11:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
I dont know if this is in the right section...

Anyway as the title suggests, i am looking for lectures and books (in Arabic or English) discussing the importance of the sunnah. A good example of the type of source i am looking for, is along the line of Jamal ud-Deen Zarabozo's "The Authority and importance of the Sunnah."*

Specifically, i am looking for a source/s which address this type question:

What is the ruling of someone who rejects something from the sunnah even if that particular thing is not considered obligatory?

In light of the fact that it is from the sunnah yet someone rejects/denys that it is from the sunnah, what is the ruling on that. im not asking in respect to whether that particular thing maybe obligatory or not, but the simple fact that it is approved by and is a part of the sunnah and yet one rejects/deny's/claims that it isnt...what is the ruling on such

do let me know if the question doesnt make sense.

-----
*is this book available in Arabic?

Salaam,
This is what i found on the net,

Denying (the sunnah) could be of two types: a denial of rejection or a denial with regards to interpretation:-
1) If it is a denial of rejection, in the sense that one might say, "Yes, I realize that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said this, but I reject it and don’t accept it," then the person is considered an apostate.
2)If, on the other hand, it is a denial of interpretation, then he is granted a respite, if the interpretation is possible and warranted by the language, and he knows the sources of Islamic law and its resources.
[Sheikh Muhammad ibn Salih ibn Uthaimeen]

Ummu Sufyaan
03-12-2011, 11:43 AM
cool thanks. what book is it taken from, would you know?

missy
03-12-2011, 11:56 AM
i got dis from a site....islamqa.com

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
selsebil
03-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Assalaam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

This is a good article for the importance of sunnah by Bediuzzaman Said Nursi.Please check :

http://www.lightofquran.info/11flash.htm

Insaanah
03-12-2011, 01:17 PM

http://www.islamicboard.com/miscella...ml#post1355612

If you have the book, it's pages 217-222 that my post is summarised from. I don't think it's available in Arabic.

I hope others will suggest some good resources too, as it would be nice to have more than one.

Ummu Sufyaan
03-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Subhanallah, i just thought of something. what (if any) role does a hadith have in determining if something is from the sunnah. i.e if a hadith isn't so strong in authenticity and yet a ruling is based on such a hadith...and someone comes along and rejects that ruling, is that the same as someone who rejects a ruling that is based on a hadith of stronger authenticity. does a hadiths authenticity affect that it is approved by the sunnah and therefore affect the ruling over one who rejects that sunnah.

does that make sense?

AabiruSabeel
03-18-2011, 12:30 PM

^To the question above, from what I learnt from my local scholars, Ahadith do have a role in determining what is considered a Sunnah, but along with that, we also have to see the action of Sahabah, Tabi'een and early scholars' interpretation of the Ahadith. There might be some other factors too which I don't know.

In that case, if a Hadith is Sahih, that itself will not make it a Sunnah, unless the action of Sahabah or Tabi'een confirms that.
Whereas an action based on Dha'eef Hadith can be a Sunnah if the action of Sahabah and Tabi'een confirms that.

This is because some actions of the Prophet :saws1: were particular for himself, or for a specific case or a cause.

Ummu Sufyaan
03-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Okay, so some of these posts are in the context of denying the sunnah. i think the question was a little misleading and looking back at it, it was probably because i may have been confused myself (i hope im not this time).

so, round 2.

is there a difference between someone rejecting a sunnah and someone rejecting a ruling. Like if there was a particular ruling made concerning something, and someone came along and rejected the ruling, and said that it (whatever the ruling is in regards to) has no place in Islam or that it was not correct, what is the ruling of such a person?

what if there is a difference of opinion in regards to that thing. so perhaps some scholars say that it is waajib and some scholars say that it is mustahab.

for example, if someone said that polygamy has no place in Islam. or just anything in general that is approved by the shariah, such as the hijab or the niqab and someone claimed that that particular thing is not in the shariah....so perhaps its not so much the sunnah they deny, but a)the ruling and b)an aspect of the sunnah (as opposed to the sunnah as a whole).

why would it not be permissible to hold such views. why and how is that a bad thing? if possible, could i get some sources answering this question.

Salahudeen
03-23-2011, 11:56 AM
http://www.audioislam.com/?subcategory=Hadith

Ummu Sufyaan
03-23-2011, 01:27 PM
^i was meant to actually edit my post above but didnt get the chance to. i haven't yet listened to the lectures, but in addition to the example i gave about polygamy, i'll add to the list, prayer, zakaat, jannah. the denial/rejection of these by saying they have no place in islam, what is the ruling on that.

lets look at the other side of the scale by saying that something is apart of islam
So what im trying to ask is, is that whatever "status" in Islam the above may have, in rejecting and dening their existence in Islam, does it make a difference. in other words does the shraiah differentiate between rejecting something that is related to creed (jannah), compared to something that is obligatory (prayer, zakaat), and something that isn't those two. In principle, it is wrong to reject those because they are approved by the shariah, not so much due to their status.

^would that be right?

Little_Lion
03-23-2011, 02:55 PM
I think I understand what you are saying, Ummu . . . for example, to take covering ones self, what are the differences between someone who rejects the burqa or niqaab but accepts the hijab, even though some scholars have ruled that the two former are the more appropriate, as opposed to someone who rejects hijab entirely saying that it was meant just for the Prophet's (saw) wives due to their status? The first situation does not have such strong evidence saying it is required as the second, but is it appropriate to reject either . . . am I correct?

As for books, I cannot post links, but on IslamicBulletin, under their free e-books link, I found "Fiqh-Us-Sunnah" by Sayyid Saabiq, if that would help insha'Allah.

Ummu Sufyaan
03-24-2011, 09:25 AM
^jazakillahu khair, sort of. im trying to say is, regardless of what ruling that particular thing (we'll call it "x") may hold, what if someone rejected and denied that "x" it has no place in islam to begin with, (although the shariah approves of it). to expound, someone may say that prayer isnt obligatory even though it is, or that something that is haram is indeed halal... so yes, in this case, someone isnt giving that particular thing its correct ruling.

BUT im not asking about not acknowledging the proper ruling of something, but rather denying and rejecting that parilcuar thing has no place in the shariah at all, although it is apart of the shariah/is approved by the shariah, like the examples i gave such as polygamy, niqab, hijab, prayer, jannah etc.

So yes, is there a difference between the two.

AabiruSabeel
03-24-2011, 07:59 PM
It is better if you ask these question to a scholar.

As far as I know, rejecting any Fardh or Sunnah in its entirety leads one to kufr but when there are differences of opinion on whether any particular act is established Sunnah or not, then the ruling might be different. Please consult someone knowledgeable.

kamilkhan
04-05-2011, 04:57 AM
AsSalaam Alaikum WR WB,

Hi Ummu Sufyaan,
I have a few videos, one article and 2 books on my website. You can refer to them.

Site: scanislam.com (Go to the 'Browse Islam' section)

Article: Importance of Sunnah and Hadiths
Videos: Study of Hadith - by Naved Aziz (I recommend these videos. They cover all aspects)
eBooks: 1) Chain of Commands - by Abdul Bary Yahya
2) Compilation of Hadith - by Abdul Ghaffar Hassan Rehmaanee

Inshallah, you will find all the details in these.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!