/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Words/Names: Deception

Beardo
03-14-2011, 04:53 AM
What are some words and names that are deceiving?

Like, did you know "Sean" is pronounced Shawn? :X

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
03-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Well, this is awkward... Nobody liked my thread...

Okay, how about "Bologna" being pronounced as "Baloney"?

GuestFellow
03-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Ashely. Sounds like a girl's name but it can be a guy's name too.

Tenancy. Tenancy can mean ownership in issues in relation to co-ownerships but this term can also appear in leasehold transactions...

Disclosure. Disclosure in litigation means someone has revealed a document or evidence that they possess or used to possess but it does not mean those documents/evidence has been inspected.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Just noticed the geeky thread.

how about

Auntie=Aunty? i dont think im really good at this but i tried :-\

sometimes people say please and i think they mean the police (coz of the way they say it) :-\

Rime=Rhyme <-- im not sure if thats real but okay

Aisha,Ayesha, Aesha :-\

Honour-Honor

Humour-Humor <--im thinking this is the different wording between the geeky Americans and GEEKY British folk.

hope i helped :-\

.. peace ..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S.Belle
03-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Tracey. Jordan, and Paige are both names for males and females

any words that began with ph like phone

eye is said like I

ardianto
03-21-2011, 08:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
Well, this is awkward... Nobody liked my thread...

Okay, how about "Bologna" being pronounced as "Baloney"?
It's remind me the a movie that I watched on my TV, "From the mixed file of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler".

Human_Being
03-21-2011, 10:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by S.Belle

eye is said like I
Lol and aye is said like I and can mean yes in some places

Ramadhan
03-21-2011, 01:30 PM
When I was first learning english, I thought 'dust' (verb) actually only meant "to sprinkle dust on/over something", and I was shocked to find out that it also means the opposite (ie.to remove dust)!

The same with some others such as cleave, buckle, etc.

And when I was in Boston, I often heard bostonians said "irregardless" with such thick boston accent, which surprised me because I knew that the word does not actually exist, "regardless" is the correct form.

Little_Lion
03-22-2011, 03:49 PM
It's irreGAHdless! I'm originally from the Boston area, and yes, that's very commonly said there! :lol: We do tend to make up a lot of words!

Here's one, "Brigid", an Irish name, is pronounced - in the US at least - as either "Breed" or "Brigit".

ardianto
03-22-2011, 04:09 PM
How about : U2, 4ever, sk8tr ?

Beardo
03-25-2011, 07:37 PM
^ Oh yeah, I hayt wen ppl tlk lyk dis

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!