/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Christian Tradition of Forty Days of Lent: Origins and History

YusufNoor
03-19-2011, 01:39 PM
:sl:

as Muslims, we understand that most of Christianity, like the origins of the trinity, come from Pagan culture and tradition. here is an interesting article about lent:

Abstract
The Pagan roots of Easter lie in celebrating the spring equinox, for millennia an important holiday everywhere. Occurring each year around 21 March, the spring equinox is when the day is at last longer than the night, so winter has gone and spring has sprung. Biologically and culturally, it is for northern climates the rebirth of life, in fertility and reproduction. The ancient Anglo-Saxons and other north European pagans celebrated the return of spring with fertility festivals commemorating their goddess of fertility and of springtime, Eostre. Lenten frugality during the period of subsistence agriculture might have been a necessity rather than a feature, as food stored away in the previous autumn was running out or going bad in store, and little new could be expected soon. So the Easter period of joy was preceded by the forced fast at the end of winter, as stocks ran low. The month of April was called “Eostur monath” and the entire month dedicated to Eostre. So, much of what people commonly associate with Easter is pagan.
http://www.askwhy.co.uk/christianity/0538lent.php

interestingly, we'll get a few "so what-ers" as if you can do WHATEVER you want to worship God...:omg:

EXCEPT saying La Ilaha Illallah Muhammadur Rasoolullah.:heated:

rather odd...

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
03-21-2011, 04:05 AM
I'd like to see christians response and explanations towards this. It would be interesting.

Woodrow
03-21-2011, 04:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
I'd like to see christians response and explanations towards this. It would be interesting.

With a few exceptions about the only Christians who celebrate lent are Catholics and Greek Orthodox. We have very few of either as members. I think we only have one active Catholic member and no Greek Orthodox.

I doubt we will get any Christian responses to this

Fivesolas
03-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Christians who do not practice the holidays of others can still respond. This may be helpful in your research. There are two principles of worship that are sometimes discussed among Christian theologians. They are the Regulative Principle of worship and the Normative Principle. Simply, there are those who approach the worship of God by thinking that if God does not forbid it, it is permissable.This is the Normative principle. The other idea says that if God has not commanded it, it is not permissable.

I am convinced of the Regulative principle. God is not to be worshiped according to the thoughts and imaginations of man. Rather, He has prescribed in Holy Scripture how He is to be worshipped. So practically speaking, we look to the Scriptures for such things as Lent, Easter, Christmas, et. If they are not found, then we are under no obligation as a matter of faith and practice to participate in them.

I don't see any holiday prescribed by God under the New Covenant. There are two ordinances, the Lord's Table (communion) and Baptism. When Christians come together to worship God we have biblical justification for prayers, preaching, Scripture reading, the ordinances, fellowship, singing, and taking meals together. Beyond this, I know of no practice such as lent, Easter, Christmas, et. that has been handed down by Christ or the Apostles.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Eric H
03-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Greetings and peace be with you YusufNoor;

The Gospel of Mathew explains that Lent is to remember the forty days Jesus spent in the wilderness

Matthew 4
Jesus Is Tested in the Wilderness
1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted[a] by the devil. 2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3 The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”
4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’[b]”

5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6 “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:

“‘He will command his angels concerning you,
and they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’[c]”

7 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’[d]”

8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’[e]”

11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.
Blessings.

Eric

Fivesolas
03-21-2011, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you YusufNoor;

The Gospel of Mathew explains that Lent is to remember the forty days Jesus spent in the wilderness

Blessings.

Eric
Eric,

Do you mean to say that Lent was created to remember the 40 days Jesus spent in the wilderness? The way you worded this, it sounds like your saying that the Gospel of Matthew teaches Lent. It does recount the history of Jesus' temptation in the wilderness, but it does not teach Lent.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!