/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to sleep, in Islam?

Zuzubu
03-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Asalamu Alaykum.

How to sleep in Islam?

I heard the prophet slept in a special way, which made it eassier for him to wake up.

Also that u should recite subhanallah 32 times, alhamdulilah 32 times, then Allahu Akbar 34 times, then sleep.

Also that it is sunnah to lay on the right side (because of lung) and to lay on back, but not on stomach.

Is it true that ur feet must not be towards the kaabah? :O

It's complicating... Can't I lay on my left side, and sleep?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
03-19-2011, 05:11 PM
In the past , my preferred way was to sleep on my back. But after hearing that it's sunnah to sleep on your right side, I got used on it, and now I find it really relaxing to sleep on my right side, especially for my stomack.

Zuzubu
03-19-2011, 05:33 PM
I find it very hard to sleep at back, but I try to do it.

I just find it hard that my pillow gets hot, so I have to change side. :( (I do that after dua'h)

Is it true that u must put ur hand under ur stomach, and not strect your legs, and not sleep for long? My dad tells me the exact opposite. "Don't put hands under stomach, it stops your blood. Strect your legs, or you wont grow. Sleep long, or you wont grow, and can't study."

Human_Being
03-19-2011, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
In the past , my preferred way was to sleep on my back. But after hearing that it's sunnah to sleep on your right side, I got used on it, and now I find it really relaxing to sleep on my right side, especially for my stomack.
Same here like I used to sleep on my left and stomach at same time cos id get hungry durin the night and it made me feel less hungry but since sleeping on right a lot my stomach hurts now if i lie on left.

thing is now i get back pain if i lie on right now so i lie on my back and its ok but i dont think its sunnah to lie on back cos u get frozen on ur back and the jinn can try and scare u when u get frozen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zuzubu
03-19-2011, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Human_Being
cos u get frozen on ur back and the jinn can try and scare u when u get frozen
Please explain this to me, will you? :O And how can it scare us when we can't see it? Does it give us nightmares? =P

OMG??? You think so much about food? Even at the night? xD

Seriously, like all the times I did not lay on my right side, something fell down, or I had a nightmare. :( Like some month ago I was laying on the wrong side, so something fell down which shocked me. It fell down on me, and not because of the pain but because when I saw what fell down I was like yelling "Allahu Akbar" trice, until my parrents and the whole household were at my bedroom. xD

The window was locked, and it has been there a long time without falling down, so that's something I always wondered about. :O Could it be a jinn?

The one time I layed on my back, I saw scary creature with a black hand infront of my head. It's one of those times where you wish for Allahs mercy the most.

I'm laying on my right side, it becomes much better for me. =) I only hate nights where my pillow is so hot that I can't sleep. :( (even at winters)

Besides, as kid I used to sleep on right side too, and this is because each time I looked left (towards my bedroom) I saw people walking around in my room (I was illuminating creatures which others couldn't see)

So I'm pure right-looking =)

Human_Being
03-19-2011, 06:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zuzubu
Please explain this to me, will you? :O And how can it scare us when we can't see it? Does it give us nightmares? =P
U no how sumtimes when u wake up and ur frozen and cant move and u feel ur chest bein crushed? sum ppl hear strange voices and see strange beings too, i only hear strange voices like children laughing or electrical noises but other ppl actually see beings

when it happens I say Allahu akbar like u said and sometimes help me Allah and it goes away but sumtimes i cant move my lips

Human_Being
03-19-2011, 06:10 PM
it happens most often for ppl who lie on their back but it can sumtimes happen in other positions 2

Zuzubu
03-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Wow, makes sense then. Does the sahih hadith say anything about waking up like this? I usually have a nice dream, then I get this thing. That's what I meant by when I layyed on my back. I saw a weird creature with this black hand infront of my eyes. All nightmares comes from satan right? Is this satan a jinn?

sister herb
03-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Salam alaykum

This is one of the most strange pol I ever seen. Have you ever heard that people change they position of sleep several times during night?

Zuzubu
03-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Sister harb, I only change position normally when I wake up, then change again.

And I did not ask where u lie, but your FAVOURITE place to lie. :)

I'm sure I made a much more weird pool.

I'll Chicken your eggs.

Cabdullahi
03-19-2011, 09:28 PM
some people are like a washing machine when they are sleeping.....

Ghazalah
03-19-2011, 09:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
:giggling:

I try to sleep on my right but my left is so much more comfortable =/

Zuzubu
03-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Yes Ghazalah, that's what happens to me at times.

I'm not that sporty when I sleep though, more like a statue. ;) But I mean your favourite sleeping place? (where u lay at start)

sherz_umr
03-20-2011, 02:54 PM
This 'freezin' when u lie on the back is called sleep paralysis. Seeing visions (or visual/auditory halucinatns plus anxiety atacks) are symptons. It hapens especialy in people who suffer from guilt and fear (of religious nature).
-Sleep on the side,
-by heart nd recite ayatul kursi,
-have faith, ur a gud person who prays. Allah wont let anythn bad happen to you. Angel protects those who recite ayatul kursi at night. Believe.

Source : me, sufferd for many years. Now free and happy.

peace_maker
03-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Asalamu Alaykum.

How to sleep in Islam?

I heard the prophet slept in a special way, which made it eassier for him to wake up.

Also that u should recite subhanallah 32 times, alhamdulilah 32 times, then Allahu Akbar 34 times, then sleep.

Also that it is sunnah to lay on the right side (because of lung) and to lay on back, but not on stomach.

Is it true that ur feet must not be towards the kaabah? :O

It's complicating... Can't I lay on my left side, and sleep?
Waalaikum salam, bro.

I can't lay either on my right side or my left side and sleep, I give a try but, eventually end up on my stomach. I also find this angle comforting to me.

But it is true that its sunnah to sleep on your right side or on your back. And its forbidden to sleep on your stomach because satan sleeps like that.

I don't think there is any problem to point your feet towards the kaaba, during sleep or any other time. You should only not go toilet facing the kaaba.

I don't know much about how exactly we should sleep but I do it this way,

Make ablution (wudu) before sleep. Beacause it is said that if you die in your sleep then you'll be in the state of ablution. We should also try to be in ablution all the time, coz death can struck us any time.

Hold your hands together in front of your face and suplicate, recite surah al-fatiha, ayatul kursi, surah al-kafirun(thrice), surah al-ikhlas(thrice), surah al-falaq(thrice), surah al-nas(thrice) and last two verses of surah al-baqara.
Spit three times in your palms and wipe all over your body.
Spitting doesn't to spit out your saliva, just softly blow.
The Prophet used to rub his hands over every part of his body.

And sleep preferrably on your right or back, I think left is also ok but never on stomach. And its ok if you turn over on your stomach while sleeping.

And if see a bad dream, then get up, seek refuge from Allah, spit three times on your left (again not spitting) and change your side, even if you have to change to left and go back to sleeping. But if you were sleeping on your back, don't turn over on your stomach.

And nightmares are from satan and yes, satan is a jinn. But not any ordinary one, only satan can whisper to you, no other jinn can.

There is a barrier between humans and jinns. We both lead two different lives. Neither can we interfere in theirs nor can they interfere in ours. I also heard that in the day of judgement there will be both, humans and jinns.

The thing about freezing when you suddenly get up in the middle of sleep has nothing to with jinns. Sometimes it happens due to the stop of blood flow, if your body was not in a comfortable position, and its your brain that wakes you up when its too late, I think...
It just happens, ok? It has nothing to with jinns or the side you are facing.

I dunno anything about putting your hands under your stomach but, I do know that the Prophet used to sleep on his right side, with his right hand under his right cheek in a way that the palm touches the cheek.
Of course you can stretch out your legs, that would be the best posture.

Don't go falling for jinns, bro.

Human_Being
03-20-2011, 06:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peace_maker
The thing about freezing when you suddenly get up in the middle of sleep has nothing to with jinns. Sometimes it happens due to the stop of blood flow, if your body was not in a comfortable position, and its your brain that wakes you up when its too late, I think...
It just happens, ok? It has nothing to with jinns or the side you are facing.
Um, I fink ur talkin about when u lie on ur arm or somthin and ur arm goes numb and u cant move it i dont think thats it

I think its wat sharz_umr said sleep paralysis or sumfin.

weird think is like i had 3 sleep paralisises this morning first was normal secodn was scary but thurd and the last one was really euforic felt so good like i was hi on drugs or sumthin and the buzzin felt like a massage lol so weird!

all 3 times i was on right side

Zuzubu
03-20-2011, 08:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sherz_umr
have faith, ur a gud person who prays. Allah wont let anythn bad happen to you. Angel protects those who recite ayatul kursi at night. Believe.
I rarely pray to be serious, it's like 1 week I pray, and 2 weeks I lay.....

I don't got time to read a big surah like Ayatul Kursi that often. :( (I just do some takbir)

Ghazalah
03-20-2011, 09:01 PM
I rarely pray to be serious, it's like 1 week I pray, and 2 weeks I lay.....

I don't got time to read a big surah like Ayatul Kursi that often. (I just do some takbir)
You need to work on your Salah before anything else, make this your priority. This is the firs thing you will be asked on the Day of Judgement.

Ayatul Kursi is not a surah and is not big, it's no more than 5 lines max, it's the most powerful ayah, learn it inshAllah. :)

Zuzubu
03-20-2011, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peace_maker
Hold your hands together in front of your face and suplicate, recite surah al-fatiha, ayatul kursi, surah al-kafirun(thrice), surah al-ikhlas(thrice), surah al-falaq(thrice), surah al-nas(thrice) and last two verses of surah al-baqara.
Sister, did I forget to tell you, that I am not a jinn? Only human. :)

Surah Ul Mulk should be fine?

Thanks, once I thought that spitting 3 times on ur left side meant that u should spit out liquid, but now I know it is only air. =) (of course I didn't spit, due to cleanness)

But thanks a lot for all those tips. =)

The prophet (saw) used to sleep in a way that spelled his name. A special way with his legs and elbows. =)

Ramadhan
03-21-2011, 04:16 AM
I keep finding inconsistencies in your posts.

In one you wrote this:
format_quote Originally Posted by
I don't got time to read a big surah like Ayatul Kursi that often. (I just do some takbir)
While every muslim would know that ayatul kursi is an ayat (hence its name), not a surah.
Second, ayatul kursi is not that long, you can memorise it in an hour max if you devote your time, and it would be one of the most important investments you ever made in your life.

And then in the following post you wrote this:
So you object to reading ayat kursi (a single ayat) because it's too long, but asking if you can read surat al Mulk which is a whole surah, consisting of 30 ayats before you go to sleep??
sorry to say, but many of your posts do not make any sense.

Zuzubu
03-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Naidamar I will learn it insha'Allah some day, don't worry. And no, I don't know what an ayat is, I just heard that it's some long verses that you read before going in and out of your house. While Surah Al Mulk proptects you from the horror of the grave.

Zuzubu
03-21-2011, 07:21 AM
Besides, I wouldn't ask here, if I already knew it.

Ramadhan
03-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Naidamar I will learn it insha'Allah some day, don't worry
I am not worried, as it is actually for your own benefit, not mine. You are the one who should be worried.

And no, I don't know what an ayat is,
ayat means verse. an ayat meand one verse.
If you still don't know what ayat/verse is, just open your qur'an and start reading.

I just heard that it's some long verses that you read before going in and out of your house.
Ayatul kursi is QS. Baqarah: 255.
So ayatul kursi the verse number 255 of Al Baqarah. open up your qur'an and you will see it.
If you don't know already, Baqarah is the second surat (chapter) in the qur'an, after Al Fatihah. Al Fatihah is a surat, consisting of 7 (seven) ayats (verses).

My advice, if you don't know something, either learn it, or ask someone knowledgable about it, instead of forming very strong opinions, like this:

Sister, did I forget to tell you, that I am not a jinn? Only human.
Why did you say that sister peace_maker accused you as a djinn?
Your posts really do not make sense.

Zuzubu
03-21-2011, 08:57 AM
because I have to read so many verses is extremism.

Ramadhan
03-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Besides, I wouldn't ask here, if I already knew it.

You did not ask.
Read again your posts.

Ramadhan
03-21-2011, 08:58 AM

What does this even mean?

Ummu Sufyaan
03-21-2011, 09:00 AM
i was just going to ask the same thing.

i suspect that Zulu is a troll.

Zuzubu
03-21-2011, 09:29 AM
What is a troll? May your hands be covored in dust.

naid, I did ask and stop comming up with off-topic posts if I didn't ask. Simple.

Ramadhan
03-21-2011, 09:39 AM
I will just have to attribute it to age and language barrier.
I cannot come up with any other explanation.

Zuzubu
03-21-2011, 09:40 AM
You don't have to reply on my topics when you are on my ignore list, thanks. =)

Ummu Sufyaan
03-21-2011, 10:23 AM
how did you see his post if he is on your ignore list? i know i cant see the posts of people on my ignore list.

What is a troll? May your hands be covored in dust.
ever heard of the 3 billy goats gruff? how do you not know what a troll is, you repped me.

peace_maker
03-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Sister, did I forget to tell you, that I am not a jinn? Only human. :)
Hey, I was only trying to help. And I'm not a jinn either, or all those people out there who suplicate before bed.

It is NOT extremism! How can you use such a word? And what's with 'I'? You are not the only one, I suplicate even bigger before bed.
And there are many people who spend even more time suplicating before bed.
You shouldn't be careless in such a matter.

If you can read Surah Mulk, why do have prob to read Ayatul Kursi?
Once you memorize everything, it'll be piece of cake.

S.Belle
03-23-2011, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii

lol i was this way when i was younger i would go to sleep with my head on pillow and wake up with my feet there bc i would literary turn about....maybe that made me more of a dryer...

i try really hard to sleep on my right side but always wake up on my stomache (which is more comfortable)
and I cant sleep on my back bc when and if i actualy do i always wake up in the middle of the night gasping bc my breathing stopped

sherz_umr
03-23-2011, 07:31 PM
zuzu :if ur new to islam,its fun to learn ayatul kursi by heart. I mean, ul feel gud wn u learn it and kp repeatin it in ur head. Feel lke uv earnd urslf a rewrd. I recite it simply..wn im hapy,sad,afraid etc

Sleeping on the left side is bad coz the rite lung(bigger of d lungs) compreses d heart. Similarly, the liver wil compres d stomach..so it'l take a long time (increases its work2) for food to b digested. Hence, the body isnt compltly relaxd during sleep.
Sleepin on the front means ur entire lungs are compresd. Such people take smal short volumes of air in and out.
Lying on the back causes nightmares. Such people usualy tend to open their mouth during sleep due to relaxd lower jaw. Leads to snoring, increasd susceptibility to sore throat, cold, cough, dirty coating 6n tongue, gum inflamation, bad odour, and malocclusion (mostly in kids).

Hope this helps.

greenhill
06-23-2013, 05:29 AM
I used to sleep on back. Nowadays it is to my side... Somehow I have noticed that I tend to fall asleep facing the side of the bed. If I'm on the right side I will turn to the right and if I am on the left I will turn to the left.... strange...

Iceee
06-23-2013, 12:34 PM
For me, I don't know, I always felt more comfortable sleeping on my stomach.

Jedi_Mindset
06-23-2013, 01:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
For me, I don't know, I always felt more comfortable sleeping on my stomach.
(5) Narrated Tikhfat al-Ghifari: Ya'ish ibn Tikhfat al-Ghifari said: My father was one of the people in the Suffah. The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) said: Come with us to the house of Aisha. So we went and he said: Give us food, Aisha. She brought hashishah and we ate. He then said: Give us food, Aisha. She then brought haysah as small in quantity as a pigeon and we ate. He then said: Give us something to drink, Aisha. So she brought a bowl of milk, and we drank. Again he said: Give us something to drink, Aisha. She then brought a small cup and we drank. He then said: If you wish, you may spend the night (here), or if you wish, you may go to the mosque. He said: While I was lying on my stomach because of pain in the lung, a man began to shake me with his foot and then said: This is a method of lying which Allah hates. I looked and saw that he was the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him). (Book #41, Hadith #5022) (Sunan Abu dawood)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!