/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Little_Lion
03-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Right now I'm reading "Stories of the Prophets" by Sayyed Abul Hasan Ali Nadwi. I know it's supposed to be a children's book, but as a new revert I am very much of the school of thought that says one of the best ways to learn is to learn as a child would, even though I'm almost 40. Start with the simple things and work your way up!

The last book I read wasn't about Islam . . . it was called "Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street" by Michael Davis. Very good read, and an excellent insight to how difficult it was to get the show off the ground and on the air. I just wish it had more on the international broadcasts. :hmm:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
LavaDog
03-23-2011, 12:46 AM
I am reading a book called Milestones by Sayyid Qutb, I got it years ago in Iraq and never bothered to read it until now.

S.Belle
03-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Queen of the ****ed by Anne Rice

if you enjoy reading you should check this out
http://www.islamicboard.com/groups/b...ms-united.html

Little_Lion
03-23-2011, 03:25 PM
I don't have permission to visit it yet, but when I am a full member, I will, thank you!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
03-23-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm going to be reading this:

Civil Litigation Handbook 2010-2011 - Legal Practice Course Guides

This may sound sad but I'm looking forward to reading this.

peace_maker
03-23-2011, 04:15 PM
I am currently reading Stories of the Prophets by Ibn Katheer. I had this book from a long time but never read it, since I wasn't very fond of reading. But now I don't have a choice. :-/

Reflections
03-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Right now I'm reading "Stories of the Prophets" by Sayyed Abul Hasan Ali Nadwi.
I've read the Seerah of the Prophet (saw) by the same author and I thoroughly enjoyed it and advice others to read it,when my father read it, it brought tears to his eyes subhanAllah...may Allah bless the Shaykh who wrote the book and grant him Jannatul Firduas. Allahoma ameen.

I am currently reading Stories of the Prophets by Ibn Katheer
I loved that book!Masha'Allah!

The book I've just finished is 'The obstacles that prevent one from repenting' by Shaykhul Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimullah)..Alhumdulilah was beneficial..

Stil deciding what to read next.

Ghazalah
03-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Khalid Ibn Al-Walid, Sword of Allah. Amazing book.

Ummu Sufyaan
03-25-2011, 05:27 AM
The book I've just finished is 'The obstacles that prevent one from repenting' by Shaykhul Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimullah)..Alhumdulilah was beneficial..
could you please post a link for others to benefit from =)

Reflections
03-30-2011, 10:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
could you please post a link for others to benefit from =)
http://www.scribd.com/doc/23354644/O...ing-Repentance

Al-Mufarridun
03-30-2011, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
Khalid Ibn Al-Walid, Sword of Allah. Amazing book.
is it the one by the late Lt.General I.A. Akram? fantastic book.

Zafran
03-31-2011, 12:54 AM
Salaam

The ninety-nine beautiful names of God by Al Ghazzali

peace

Ghazalah
03-31-2011, 04:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mufarridun
is it the one by the late Lt.General I.A. Akram? fantastic book.
It is. I have it in PDF file online if anyone wants a read. Definitely worth it.

Al-Mufarridun
03-31-2011, 05:10 AM
It is. I have it in PDF file online if anyone wants a read. Definitely worth it.

It definitely is worth reading. easy to read, organized and well detailed book. May Allah(swt) reward the author. Ameen

Its said about Khalid, "He was like a hurricane, he wouldn't sleep nor would he allow friend or foe to sleep." May Allah be pleased with him. Ameen

YusufNoor
03-31-2011, 05:12 AM
:sl:

just finished:

JFK: The CIA, Vietnam, and the Plot to Assassinate John F Kennedy by Fletcher Prouty

just started:

FORGED: Writing in the Name of God - Why the Bible's Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are by Bart D Ehrman

i've also begun:

JESUS WARS How Four Patriarchs, Three Queens, and Two Emperors Decided What Christians Would Believe for the Next 1,500 Years by Philip Jenkins

on deck:

JESUS: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millenium by Bart D Ehrman

A.D. 31: Heretics, Pagans and the Dawn of the Monotheistic State by Charles Freeman

and a horde of new Teaching Company lectures.

:wa:

Haya emaan
03-31-2011, 03:29 PM
currently reading nothing.... just in search of sum very nice books

Muslim Woman
03-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Salaam

The Manners of the Knowledge Seeker.

By Abu 'Abdillah Muhammad Sa'id Raslan

“I spent thirty years learning manners, and I spent twenty years learning knowledge.” - ‘Abdullah bin al-Mubarak
1 Purify Your Intention for Allah in Seeking Knowledge
2 Purify Yourself Inwardly and Outwardly From That Which Contradicts the Shari’ah
3 Completely Free Your Heart for Knowledge and Remove All Obstacles
4 Eat Little, Be Cautious, and Constantly Remember Allah
5 Eat, Sleep, and Speak as Seldom as Possible
6 Reduce Socialization and Choose the Right Friends
7 Choose What to Start With and Who to Teach You
8 Have the Best Manners with Your Teacher
9 Treat Your Books Well
10 How to Act During a Lesson

http://www.kalamullah.com/knowledge.html

Fivesolas
03-31-2011, 08:19 PM
The Bible, always.

Biblical Hermeneutics: A Treatise on the Interpretation of the Old and New Testaments - Milton Terry.

Also,

Works by the late John (Dean) Burgon on Textual Criticism.
An Introduction to Textual Criticism by F.H.A. Scrivener

The hermeneutics takes first place because its for school.

Revert 2010
03-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Is going to start reading King Lear, or maybe cheat with an audio book.

GuestFellow
03-31-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm now reading "The Crusades" by Thomas Asbridge. It's a very good book.

Reflections
04-01-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't like audio books or PDF files, I need a book in my hand..Still need to find another book to read...any suggestions?

Ummu Sufyaan
04-01-2011, 01:17 PM
^Sherlock Holmes :hmm:...unless you mean an Islamic book which i dont have any suggestions....actually the importance and authority of the sunnah by jamal ud-Deen Zarabozo is good.

Reflections
04-01-2011, 01:22 PM
lol yes I meant Islamic books..I lost interest in reading fictional books..I still grieve over the fact that I once upon a time read the whole 'Twlight Saga'..'Days of Jahilyyah' they were indeed

Verdetequiero
04-01-2011, 06:33 PM
The Mexico Reader: History, Culture, Politics.

Little_Lion
04-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Actually, a very interesting fictional book that I read many years ago (and honestly, was my first introduction to some of the philosophy and practices of Islam!) was called "The Lion's Blood" by Stephen Barnes. I haven't read the sequel (Zulu Heart). It's an alternative history where North America was colonized by Muslims from Africa, and white men were the slaves. I should read it again now that I have converted to see what I think of it now, I barely remember it.

Human_Being
04-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Im not a reader like but I just got a borra of Don't Be Sad by Dr. A id al-Qarni haven't really started readinit yet that far in like cuz im not a reader lol but i want 2 read it but I don't understand Don't Be Sad 2 many big words and irts sooooo advanced

Ghazalah
04-01-2011, 09:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Revert 2010
Is going to start reading King Lear,
Out of all the English books I studied this was my favourite :)

Muslim Woman
04-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Salaam

yesterday downloaded “Even Angels Ask : : A Journey to Islam in America (Jeffrey Lang) -

gladTidings
04-02-2011, 10:32 AM
I started reading a translated version of 'From darkness to light' by Ghazi Ahmed last night. It is a very detailed story of a convert.... The prologue is amazing. I usually take my time when reading a book, I like to say I need time to reflect and learn in between, others might say I'm just slow! I'm also reading the life and times of Umar R.A. which I started reading last year :|. My next book will be Martin Lings version of seerah inshAllah.

Muhaba
04-02-2011, 12:16 PM
أصول الفقه, فقه المعاملات, و كتب أخرى للإمتحانات التي سوف تبدع بعد الشهر.
osool al fiqh, fiqh al moaamilaat and other books for exams that will start in a month, insha-Allah.

Human_Being
04-02-2011, 03:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Human_Being
Im not a reader like but I just got a borra of Don't Be Sad by Dr. A id al-Qarni haven't really started readinit yet that far in like cuz im not a reader lol but i want 2 read it but I don't understand Don't Be Sad 2 many big words and irts sooooo advanced
Was readin it as far in as I could get like before i couldnt read any more cuz its so depressin didnt like it man it cud make u sad like

moonseo
04-02-2011, 03:58 PM
yes friend me to like this book! Mas'sha'Allah!
our ulamas are very qualified he knows thing about islam
this is my site name you will vist this teachingqruan.com there you will contact us and know about islam

Hannah.
04-02-2011, 05:14 PM
I've just started reading The Butterfly Mosque by G. Willow Wilson.. and I'm having a hard time putting it down! Love her beautiful writing style & strong sense of imagery. Here's the prologue:

"In G. Willow Wilson’s The Butterfly Mosque, Wilson presents her personal experience as a young American Muslim woman
coming to terms with an understanding of herself as she navigates evolving concepts of religion, cross-cultural dynamics,
and womanhood while she pursues a romantic relationship. Wilson explores both the negative and positive aspects of a
conversion to Islam and ensuing efforts to reconcile Eastern and Western beliefs, the inaccurate portrayals of Muslims in the
media and public discourse, the role of women in Islamic society, and cultivating a healthy, romantic relationship in an Islamic
context. In portraying both positive and negative aspects throughout her memoir, Wilson presents an affirmative appraisal
of an American Muslim woman’s relationship with Islam."

Revert 2010
04-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Is going to purchase the Sealed Nector at some point, I have heard it's amazing : )

Haya emaan
04-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Is going to purchase the Sealed Nector at some point, I have heard it's amazing : )
sealed nector... i was wondering i had heard the name... its translation of ALRAhIQ ALMAKHTUM right..?? its really an amazing book i love it..!!

MariamA.
04-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Im reading Men of Monsters - by Patrick Ness.
Its the triology in of : The Knife of Never Letting go & The Ask & The Answer.

Reflections
04-02-2011, 08:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mun-o-salwa
sealed nector... i was wondering i had heard the name... its translation of ALRAhIQ ALMAKHTUM right..?? its really an amazing book i love it..!!
Yes it's that one..one good read!

peace_maker
11-13-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm reading Enjoy Your Life by Dr. Muhammad Abdul Rahman Al Arifi. :D

That's next on my list. :)

Huzzy_786
11-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Currently reading story's on this forum :)

جوري
11-13-2011, 05:29 PM

I recommend this book for children.. it is amazing, I just bought it for my niece and she seems to like it..

:w:

serena77
11-13-2011, 09:04 PM
i LOVED the butterfly mosque it was an excellent read and i too had trouble putting it down. its one of those books that i was so sorry to see it end
serena

truthseeker63
11-13-2011, 09:06 PM
I am reading a book called The Israel lobby and U.S. foreign policy by John
J. Mearsheimer
, Stephen
M. Walt

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=zIrFUBs7G6kC

syed1
11-16-2011, 01:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Human_Being
Was readin it as far in as I could get like before i couldnt read any more cuz its so depressin didnt like it man it cud make u sad like
I haven't read the book but I did glance through it and found some interesting points on how to over come sadness etc. can you tell me why you found it making you depressed? it is actually intended to do the opposite..

Snowflake
11-16-2011, 02:17 AM
If it counts, just finished reading 'A thousand splendid suns' Khaled Hosseini.

Ali_008
11-16-2011, 03:07 AM
I'm reading (very lazily) "The Dark Tower VI - Songs of Susannah" by Stephen King. The first five books were really good and intense.

~Raindrop~
11-16-2011, 03:10 AM
Bookworms United

Topic: Whatcha Reading?

It's been a bit quiet in there recently.. :unsure:

Haya emaan
12-05-2011, 05:19 PM
currently reading translation of "ayyam min alhayati" by Zainab alghazali.. i had the book for over a year but didnt had courage to open it.. but now something forced me to read it..

Muezzin
12-05-2011, 06:47 PM
I just read the entries on the story contest. It would be great if everyone else would too, and vote for the one they enjoy most. :)

peace_maker
12-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Just surging through a Nancy Drew edition. :p

Ghazalah
12-05-2011, 07:48 PM
-SPSS for Psychologists. :hmm:

-Healing with the medicine of the Prophet PBUH- By Ibnul Qayyim :statisfie

peace_maker
01-08-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm nearly gonna finish "My Great Love for Jesus Led Me to Islam" by Simon Alfredo Caraballo. This is the first book I'm reading on comparison between Islam and Cristianity. Not that I didn't have any such books, but I simply didn't want to read them. Because I thought it would interfere with my faith. But after reading, I'm feeling as if I have made my faith stronger. Subhaanallah.

Tyrion
01-08-2012, 08:37 PM
The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Beardo
01-08-2012, 08:46 PM
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

MustafaMc
01-08-2012, 10:10 PM
I am reading "Empire of the Summer Moon" about the rise and fall of the Comanches, the most powerful Indian tribe in American history.

joyous fairy
01-08-2012, 11:15 PM
I am readin 'The Sealed Nectar'. I have read it before but I am reading it again. Its easy to forget parts.

serena77
01-08-2012, 11:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by joyous fairy
I am readin 'The Sealed Nectar'. I have read it before but I am reading it again. Its easy to forget parts.
anyone know where i can get a decent copy of this? i've seen the title tossed around a lot... and i have to be careful of where i buy things due to my living situation. .... whom i live w/ i mean... but amazon doesn't have any copies ... except by 3rd party sellers... so i'm a bit hesitant... there's no way my library would get it either.
jakazallah khair
Serena

joyous fairy
01-08-2012, 11:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by serena77
anyone know where i can get a decent copy of this? i've seen the title tossed around a lot... and i have to be careful of where i buy things due to my living situation. .... whom i live w/ i mean... but amazon doesn't have any copies ... except by 3rd party sellers... so i'm a bit hesitant... there's no way my library would get it either.
jakazallah khair
Serena
I got mine from Amazon. You should look at the sellers rating and if its good then go for it. I brought A LOT of uni books from there and they were labelled as 'good' condition, but they were in excellent condition. They looked new. inshaAllah if you can find a bookstore online then maybe go for that?

MustafaMc
01-08-2012, 11:47 PM
You can download it from here or elsewhere http://www.2muslims.com/books/alraheeq.pdf

serena77
01-09-2012, 12:20 AM
salaams sis
i have gotten some things from amazon that were used. for the most part... i've had decent luck.... thanks i may have to go for it.... and until then i'll use the downloadable version....

its funny.... I HAVE a kindle .. which i love dearly but sometimes i just like to actually have the book....
Serena

CuriousIncident
01-09-2012, 04:49 AM
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Karimah
01-09-2012, 07:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
one of the best ways to learn is to learn as a child would
I agree with this sentiment a lot.

Karimah
01-09-2012, 07:38 AM
I'm currently reading Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang. He is somehow able to write his stories with a mix of SciFi/Fantasy/Cyberpunk/Historical but at the same time it is like mainstream fiction. His writing is really awesome.

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-09-2012, 08:03 AM
I see women got much time to read fiction and novels. I dont even get time to read my notebook. :(

Tyrion
01-09-2012, 08:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid
I see women got much time to read fiction and novels. I dont even get time to read my notebook.
I ain't no woman foo'. :raging:

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-09-2012, 08:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion

I ain't no woman foo'. :raging:
Did I just point you out or did I say only women read novels...? ^o)

Muezzin
01-09-2012, 09:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CuriousIncident
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
I thought your username referred to that book.

Marina-Aisha
01-09-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm reading Jane eyre, love this book great classic.

arabic alphabet
01-09-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm reading Bible Quran and Science

joyous fairy
01-09-2012, 10:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina28
I had to read this in school and I really liked it! Tis good.

Scimitar
01-10-2012, 01:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by S.Belle
Queen of the ****ed by Anne Rice

if you enjoy reading you should check this out
http://www.islamicboard.com/groups/b...ms-united.html
Anne Rice books have some serious homosexual overtones in them... Yeah, I did many facepalms reading her books because in my teens I was into vampires - but the gay thing kinda killed the whole thing dead for me. Memnoch the Devil, though - where lestat meets the devil himself is kinda good. Tale of the body thief was rubbish - don't even bother with it. There was this one book she wrote - trying to remember the name...

Ah yes, it was called "The Servant of the Bones" - I actually enjoyed this one the most funnily enough.

I got her Mayfair Witches series too, and thought that was pretty naff, no gayness though and a good insight into the old French Qurater of New Orleans. Other than that, I don't remember much. Was in the 90's, like I said.

Come to think of it, I wish I'd never picked up those Anne Rice books. They were actually kinda crap now that I think about it. The only one I'd probably skim thru again is Servant of the Bones. Probably. Actually, probably not. Stories bore me - unless they are true...

...Eh knee wae,

At the moment I'm reading "48 laws of power" (author Robert Greene)

This book is evil. But better the devil you know, if you know what I mean... Seems to read a lot like the "individuals manual" accompaniment to the Protocols of the Learnt Elders of Zion. Seriously, it sends shivers up my spine.

Definitely not gonna read this one again.

Scimi

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-10-2012, 03:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina28
Why read the book when you can quickly watch the movie...? :p

syed1
01-10-2012, 03:51 AM
Why read the book when you can quickly watch the movie
some times movies dont to justice to the book. Also, sometimes it better to read something rather than watch it. it has to do with which senses you are stimulating and how one learns..

I am currently reading a book called "Muhummad : For the global village (an absorbing story and modern reading into the life and teaching of the prophet of Islam. By Dr. Muhammad al-Haashimi Al haamidi.

a good read so far, alot of interesting history and facts and hadeets and relevant verses of the quran where needed..about a quarter of my way through. definitely reccomend it for the novice muslim or someone who is looking for a place to start to learn about the life of our beloved prophet!

peace_maker
01-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Reading, The Truth about the Original Sin. It's a small book, hopefully I'll finish it soon, inshaallah. Tell the truth, I had no idea what "original sin" is. I only came across it few months ago. And only yesterday, I found out that the "sin" in infact known as "original sin." :hmm:

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-10-2012, 03:14 PM
As'Salaam Alaaykum

I know this may sound ultra weird, but i'm actually reading a few books at the moment..

Khalid Ibn Waleed - Sword of Allah.

Stories of the prophets by Ibn Kathir

and I've always wanted to read the Sealed Nectar so reading that too :\, loving all these books masha'Allaah.

There's another book i think it's called the 'Eight Scroll' and I've heard it's pretty good! Someone correct me if the name's wrong.

Btw, I recommend all these books.

Scimitar
01-10-2012, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jεώel oғ ωïѕdoм
Stories of the prophets by Ibn Kathir
Qisaas al Anbiyya? I love this book. I got this on hardback for only £6. I have to say, I read the first three chapters over and over again, because the explanation/exegesis (tafsir) is just so good. I still need to finish the book but I have to admit, it was one of my better purchases last year.

Good call sister.

Scimi

~Zaria~
01-10-2012, 04:02 PM
I only have time to read......work :exhausted......and forums. :)

So much to read......so little time!

Edit: Btw. a good way to increase your knowledge (if you dont have time to read (sigh) ).....is listen to lectures :)

eg. I havent read a single book by sheikh Imran Hosein....but Ive listened to all his lectures (some of which Ive heard a few times over now).
The beauty of this, is that you can be doing house-work (eg ironing/ cooking - ermm, yep - this can apply to the guys too :p ) - and benefitting from an inspiring talk at the same time, Alhamdulillah!

Muti-tasking at its best! :D

Salaam

Periwinkle18
01-10-2012, 04:14 PM
i tried reading the book called how to make a beautiful mind i think by edward de bono buh m so busy now with work i soo wanna read enjoy your life by muhammad al arifi..

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-10-2012, 06:28 PM
As'Salaam Alaaykum

format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Qisaas al Anbiyya? I love this book. I got this on hardback for only £6. I have to say, I read the first three chapters over and over again, because the explanation/exegesis (tafsir) is just so good. I still need to finish the book but I have to admit, it was one of my better purchases last year.

Good call sister.

Scimi
Yes, that's the one.

I also enjoyed the explanation, it is very helpful.

jazakallaahu Khaayr.

Danah
01-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Nice thread.

I am not a regular reader, but I do read when I have time to. Currently the books that I am reading are:

Stories of the prophets by Shiekh Al-Sha'rawi
Duaa, the weapon of the believer by Yasir Qadhi.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-10-2012, 08:05 PM

My orgo textbook

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-10-2012, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven

My orgo textbook
You mean organic chemistry? ^o)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-10-2012, 08:07 PM
^^Yeap, organic chem.

Other than that I still have so many Islamic books to read...just sitting there :/

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-10-2012, 08:11 PM
^^Yeap, organic chem.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-10-2012, 08:14 PM

^^Lol. I love organic chem..cause its not boring and its challenging.

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-10-2012, 08:17 PM

^^Lol. I love organic chem..cause its not boring and its challenging.
Good. Organic chem. class for me was a sleeping hour during higher secondary schooling...:p

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Higher secondary school? Is that supposed to be high school? :/

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Higher secondary school? Is that supposed to be high school? :/
No, that's different here. High school or secondary schooling here is upto 10th standard and 11th and 12th standard is called higher secondary or intermediate. :hmm:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Yea India/Pakistan/UK have high school up until 10th, whereas here in the US, its up to 12th and then college/uni lol.

Anyways, uni hasnt bothered giving me the time to do any other kind of reading...:s. whatever books I have..still sitting there.

syed1
01-10-2012, 08:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
I love this book. I got this on hardback for only £6. I have to say, I read the first three chapters over and over again, because the explanation/exegesis (tafsir) is just so good. I still need to finish the book but I have to admit, it was one of my better purchases last year.
I too read this book and finished it not too long ago. Very good and insightful...

you paid 6 euroS?? wow...I got scammed. I paid about 2.5 times that

zakirs
01-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Recently finished a book called "Cypress tree". It was a good book about an iranian who left his country during the revolution.

Ghazalah
01-11-2012, 12:15 AM
The creed of the four imams. By Br Moosa Richardson.

Don't be said (La Tahzan). Having read the Arabic version I'm now reading the English, cannot get enough of it. Excellent book.

The Five Languages of Love-Gary chapman. Another epic book. :p

MustafaMc
01-11-2012, 12:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jεώel oғ ωïѕdoм
There's another book i think it's called the 'Eight Scroll' and I've heard it's pretty good! Someone correct me if the name's wrong.
I have read the 'Eight Scroll' by Laurence Brown and really liked it. If you have ever seen and liked action packed adventure movies like 'Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark', 'The DaVinci Code', and 'National Treasure' you would love this book. It is a novel but with a religious twist.

sis muslimah
01-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Lol. I love organic chem..cause its not boring and its challenging.
me 2 :D lol

started reading 'The Sealed Nectar'

Tyrion
01-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Hey, anyone have any experience with 'Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet' by Karen Armstrong?

Scimitar
01-11-2012, 12:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed1
I too read this book and finished it not too long ago. Very good and insightful...

you paid 6 euroS?? wow...I got scammed. I paid about 2.5 times that
yeh bro, £6 which is approx 6 euro... hardback too. With a sleeve lol. Bargain, came wrapped in plastic too.... fresh off the press. The only book I've bought sealed lol.

I forgot to mention i'm also reading Dajjal The King with no Clothes by Ahmad Thomson (1986). I thought Shaikh Imran Hosein was the originator of most of the opinions abour eschatology re: dajjal and end times, but seems that Ahmad Thomsom got there first. A very important and interesting book, and considering that it was first published in 1986 (when I was an 11 yr old brat) I find that it has withstood the test of time and almost all of what I've read so far coincides with what has happened in the world in accordance with the global agendas he has mentioned in the book.

I do wonder if Imran Hosein has read this book.

Scimi

joyous fairy
01-11-2012, 01:01 AM
Hey, anyone have any experience with 'Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet' by Karen Armstrong?
Assalam alaykum,

I have read this. It is good mashaAllah, but it seems to be aimed at non-Muslims or people who have not read a Seerah before. I read it a long time ago though so I have kind of forgotten and I remember reading the Biography written by Barnaby Rogerson about the same time. That one has a lot of political background in it.

I still have both on my bookshelf so might pick one up and read again soon inshaAllah.

I love reading The Biographies of the Prophet (saw)!

Tyrion
01-11-2012, 01:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by joyous fairy
Assalam alaykum,

I have read this. It is good mashaAllah, but it seems to be aimed at non-Muslims or people who have not read a Seerah before. I read it a long time ago though so I have kind of forgotten and I remember reading the Biography written by Barnaby Rogerson about the same time. That one has a lot of political background in it.

I still have both on my bookshelf so might pick one up and read again soon inshaAllah.

I love reading The Biographies of the Prophet (saw)!

Good to know. I picked it up the other day when I passed by it in a bookstore, since I've been meaning to check it out. I've heard she's a bit more objective with her book, which is what I was looking for since many of the biographies that are aimed exclusively at Muslims tend to make things a little too flowery, and sometimes turn into hagiographies (Something I wanted to avoid this time). :p:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-11-2012, 01:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sis muslimah
me 2 :D lol

started reading 'The Sealed Nectar'
lol hehe :p
Great book mashaAllaah...excellent. You will like it hopefully..inshaAllaah.

joyous fairy
01-11-2012, 01:24 AM

Good to know. I picked it up the other day when I passed by it in a bookstore, since I've been meaning to check it out. I've heard she's a bit more objective with her book, which is what I was looking for since many of the biographies that are aimed exclusively at Muslims tend to make things a little too flowery, and sometimes turn into hagiographies (Something I wanted to avoid this time). :p:
Lol, Thats what happened to me! I was walking through HMV and I noticed some books, and these biographies were on offer so I brought them.

True about Muslims 'flowering' things up. I noticed that in quite a few. When you read the different versions you notice differences in their descriptions of certain events. But MashaAllah, May Allah (SWT) reward the writers.

sis muslimah
01-11-2012, 11:41 PM
lol hehe
Great book mashaAllaah...excellent. You will like it hopefully..inshaAllaah.
indeed its a brilliant book mashallah :)

serena77
01-11-2012, 11:57 PM
I did.. I loved it ... was before i reverted ( most of my life is... ) but i really enjoyed it. i've read some other stuff she has written though titles escape me.
Serena

peace_maker
01-13-2012, 07:13 PM
I know I've mentioned this before.... The Stories of The Prophets by Ibn Katheer. I've gotta admit, I never got passed chapter one. :X But this time, it's a challange!

joyous fairy
01-14-2012, 12:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by peace_maker
I know I've mentioned this before.... The Stories of The Prophets by Ibn Katheer. I've gotta admit, I never got passed chapter one. :X But this time, it's a challange!
lol, Once you get into it, you wont be able to put it down! When I read it, I was like that too.

Just keep at it and inshaAllah you will finish in no time :statisfie

Haya emaan
01-15-2012, 06:10 PM
reading some fiction, spy stories that are for children:X

~Raindrop~
01-15-2012, 06:20 PM
^I still read kids books too.. Love the Horrid Henry ones :hiding:

Crystal
01-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Hey, anyone have any experience with 'Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet' by Karen Armstrong
Hey I didn't read that book but I read her book about the history of Islam which was really good. I often see her on Islamic documentaries as well. I find her to be objective and yes her books are more aimed at non Muslims which was useful for me at the time as I was not a Muslim.

serena77
01-16-2012, 03:43 AM
i like young adult books too. sometimes authors will make a book - listed as geared towards teenagers because it opens up a larger reading group. and some of the ones that i'm pretty sure are geared towards teenagers are just really good :)
serena

Scimitar
01-16-2012, 03:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by gladTidings
I usually take my time when reading a book, I like to say I need time to reflect and learn in between,
.... ^what she said!

Scimi

syilla
01-16-2012, 05:14 AM
anyone has book novel fiction islamic ones especially on sahabah. i don't like to watch youtube sometimes i miss some important events.

update : i found this http://www.imaanstar.com/khalid.php (actually i want in book easier to read on bed lol)

Abdullahi E
01-17-2012, 04:19 PM
those who have amazone kindle e book if u want i can send u 150 islamic books only islamic i can send to you on your kindle to read it every where you go

$tr@wB3rRy
01-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Qurraa` of Egypt: Brief Biography of famous Qurraa` of Egypt (can you name five atleast? ), a wonderful read and A MUST!

Ghazalah
01-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Strawberry- Abdul Basit, Mahmud Khalil Al-Husary, Al-Manshawi, Mahmud Tablawi? Gah, there was one more I can't remember! How much does the book mention?

MustafaMc
01-17-2012, 10:19 PM
I have begun reading, "Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion" with selected writings by Henry Ford.

serena77
01-17-2012, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahi E
those who have amazone kindle e book if u want i can send u 150 islamic books only islamic i can send to you on your kindle to read it every where you go
salaams
I"m SO envious.. I do have a kindle.. but its registered under my mother's name and she would sadly... have kittens.
Serena

$tr@wB3rRy
01-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Strawberry- Abdul Basit, Mahmud Khalil Al-Husary, Al-Manshawi, Mahmud Tablawi? Gah, there was one more I can't remember! How much does the book mention?
Maasha'Allaah gal, before reading this kitaab, I only knew 2 names but u named 4 that's :awesome:

It mentions 14 Qurra` bio and in name list it mentions names of 168 :)

gladTidings
01-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Currently reading:

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

It is a best seller based on Mortensons life, it is amazing, highly reccomended!! Completely perfect with a cup of sweet cinnamon chai.

Attachment 4549

'Abd-al Latif
01-19-2012, 02:17 PM
How can you do that?

Periwinkle18
01-20-2012, 03:37 PM
whats a kindle??

Im reading 7 habits of highly effective teenagers :P its a good book though :)

~Raindrop~
01-20-2012, 04:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle18
whats a kindle??

You can download ebooks and read them on there.

Al-manar
01-20-2012, 04:01 PM
we shouldn't forget Muhammad Rifat , who is described as ,the ideal reciter,and was the first Quran reciter to read on Egyptian Cairo Radio on May 31, 1934 ...

Attachment 4556

alhamdulilaah
01-21-2012, 01:20 AM
Asalamu-alaikum,

Reading>> 1) Al-Bidayah wan-nihayah by Ibn Kathir.

2) Sunan Darmee by Imam Abdullah bin Abdhur Rahman At-tameemi Ad-darmee (Rahmatullah 'alahe)

serena77
01-21-2012, 02:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by gladTidings
It is a best seller based on Mortensons life, it is amazing, highly reccomended!! Completely perfect with a cup of sweet cinnamon chai.
salaams sis
just for the record.. .there is a lot of controversy over that book... and a lot of what mortenson has said. just ... read it with a grain of salt.
Serena

GuestFellow
01-21-2012, 11:48 PM
I'm reading an accounting book. Man it's so BORING. I just want to shoot myself.

Tyrion
01-22-2012, 12:08 AM
Finished reading "The Giver" by Lois Lowry, and I've now started "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde... I think I'll probably go through some more classics after that, since I haven't had a chance to before now like most people... Most likely Dracula, Crime and Punishment, and perhaps some Jane Austen...

Muezzin
01-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Finished reading "The Giver" by Lois Lowry, and I've now started "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde... I think I'll probably go through some more classics after that, since I haven't had a chance to before now like most people... Most likely Dracula, Crime and Punishment, and perhaps some Jane Austen...
The Picture of Dorian Gray is a fantastic book.

Periwinkle18
01-22-2012, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha

You can download ebooks and read them on there.
ooooooo interesting :)

Ali_008
03-20-2013, 10:48 AM
This thread has been dormant for a while. Needs some shaking up. I hope others contribute as well, and not let it go hibernating again.

Currently, I'm reading Midsummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare, A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore, and The Biography of ʻUthman ibn ʻAffan by Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi.

I don't know if anyone can claim that they are actually reading a Shakespeare play, because you don't read them, you study them. They take comfortably longer than most books, and you're not done with them if you've just finished what's written in the book. You gotta consider the reference notes, the summaries, the dictionaries, etc.

A Dirty Job is quenching the fiction thirst, and the biography of the third caliph is doing double-duty of non-fiction and Islamic. ;D

Abu Loren
03-20-2013, 11:09 AM
I'm currently reading the Holy Qur'an by Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala.

YusufNoor
03-20-2013, 11:38 AM
necropost???

just finished Carthage Must Be Destroyed The Rise and Fall of an Ancient Civilization by Richard Miles. currently reading Egypt, Canaan And Israel In Ancient Times by Donald B. Redford. both are excellant.

for background i watched TTC's 12part series Great Pharoahs of Ancient Egypt by Prof. Bob Brier, which was great. then, rewatched TTC'S 12 part Origins of Great Ancient Civilizations by Prof Kenneth Harl, which really rocks. the maps in Harl's later courses are phenomenal. and all that made me toss in TTC's 36 part lecture series The Holy Land Revealed by Prof/Archaeologist Jodi Magness. she is a great lecturer and offers great insight into the history of Palestine, though her maps could use some work.

Sothis Girl
03-20-2013, 02:14 PM
The Emotion Code book -- about the magnet healing to release emotional blocks.

Neurospirituality and Neuroscience book

And random articles in internet about Solfeggio harmonics

An article about Egyptology and history of Egypt's ancient deities (Isis, Osiris, etc)

Another article about sacred geometry (even Islam have it. but you don't wanna hear it ;D)

Naeema
03-20-2013, 08:05 PM
I'm currently memorizing Juz' Amma in Arabic, so I'm not reading as much of the Quran as before.

For fun, I am reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. I don't like it as much as Pride and Prejudice or Mansfield Park.

Ali_008, I really enjoyed A Dirty Job. I think it is one of Moore's best works.

GuestFellow
03-20-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm reading the forum posts at the moment.

GuestFellow
03-20-2013, 09:12 PM
You should read the count of monte cristo.

sister herb
03-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Paul De Kruif: Hunters of micro-organisms/Mikrobien metsästäjiä

Book tells about the history of scientists whose created science of micro-organism in Europe (from Leeuwenhoek (1600th century) to Pasteur and Ehrlich). As book is printed at 1927, it is more as historical than pure scientific one.

GuestFellow
03-20-2013, 09:31 PM
^ I rather slash my wrists and see it get infected than read any books based on science. >_>

sister herb
03-20-2013, 10:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GuestFellow
^ I rather slash my wrists and see it get infected than read any books based on science. >_>
You should take a risk. It could to be educational or if not...

Periwinkle18
03-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Falling leaves by adeline yen mah reminds me of hong kong.

Ali_008
12-31-2013, 07:56 PM
I recently read a book called Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Al-Sanea. The author is a Saudi who has lived/still lives abroad, and she was able to make the status of women in Saudi look nearly as bad as in Afghanistan. Of course, they have the financial independence, but the book was so focused on the characters being overly concerned about their reputation. I've read a few reviews by Saudi nationals who say that it does not represent all the Saudi tribes, but even then the damsel in distress angle in the Saudi context seemed quite unbelievable. I've been to Saudi - I mean not just Makkah and Madeena, but even Jeddah, Dammam, and Khobar - and it was hard for me to believe that I was reading about those same women.

sugaray21
01-01-2014, 12:02 AM
Al Ghazali on disciplining the soul, breaking the two desires and the revival of the religious sciences (same book) translated by T.J Winter (aka Abdul Hakim Murad, English convert, professor at Oxford University).
Rethinking muslim women and the veil-challenging historical and modern stereotypes – Katherine Bullock Ph.D - (An Australian convert to Islam)

• “This book straddles many academic disciplines: political theory, feminism, anthropology, sociology, history as well as Middle Eastern and Islamic studies...a powerful critique of the popular western notion that the veil is a symbol of Muslim women’s oppression...the author argues that in a culture of consumerism, the hijab can be experienced as a liberation from the tyranny of the beauty myth...”

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!