/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prove that praying 5 times a day is the absolute best way???

Bint-Al-Islam
03-24-2011, 06:32 AM
:sl:

Can someone prove to me that praying 5 times a day is the absolute best way to go, and is the word of Allah.. and by prove, i mean...objectivly and empirically.

Thank You

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tyrion
03-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Proof? As a Muslim, shouldn't the fact that it was prescribed to you by Allah be enough? The details of prayer are also outlined in Sahih Hadith...

Here's a page that gives you some more proof from the Qur'an...

Zuzubu
03-24-2011, 07:06 AM
Narrated Abu Dhar: Allah's Apostle said, "While I was at Mecca the roof of my house was opened and Gabriel descended, opened my chest, and washed it with Zam-zam water. Then he brought a golden tray full of wisdom and faith and having poured its contents into my chest, he closed it. Then he took my hand and ascended with me to the nearest heaven, when I reached the nearest heaven, Gabriel said to the gatekeeper of the heaven, 'Open (the gate).' The gatekeeper asked, 'Who is it?' Gabriel answered: 'Gabriel.' He asked, 'Is there anyone with you?' Gabriel replied, 'Yes, Muhammad I is with me.' He asked, 'Has he been called?' Gabriel said, 'Yes.' So the gate was opened and we went over the nearest heaven and there we saw a man sitting with some people on his right and some on his left. When he looked towards his right, he laughed and when he looked toward his left he wept. Then he said, 'Welcome! O pious Prophet and pious son.' I asked Gabriel, 'Who is he?' He replied, 'He is adam and the people on his right and left are the souls of his offspring. Those on his right are the people of Paradise and those on his left are the people of Hell and when he looks towards his right he laughs and when he looks towards his left he weeps.' Then he ascended with me till he reached the second heaven and he (Gabriel) said to its gatekeeper, 'Open (the gate).' The gatekeeper said to him the same as the gatekeeper of the first heaven had said and he opened the gate. Anas said: "Abu Dhar added that the Prophet met adam, Idris, Moses, Jesus and Abraham, he (Abu Dhar) did not mention on which heaven they were but he mentioned that he (the Prophet ) met Adarn on the nearest heaven and Abraham on the sixth heaven. Anas said, "When Gabriel along with the Prophet passed by Idris, the latter said, 'Welcome! O pious Prophet and pious brother.' The Prophet asked, 'Who is he?' Gabriel replied, 'He is Idris." The Prophet added, "I passed by Moses and he said, 'Welcome! O pious Prophet and pious brother.' I asked Gabriel, 'Who is he?' Gabriel replied, 'He is Moses.' Then I passed by Jesus and he said, 'Welcome! O pious brother and pious Prophet.' I asked, 'Who is he?' Gabriel replied, 'He is Jesus. Then I passed by Abraham and he said, 'Welcome! O pious Prophet and pious son.' I asked Gabriel, 'Who is he?' Gabriel replied, 'He is Abraham. The Prophet added, 'Then Gabriel ascended with me to a place where I heard the creaking of the pens." Ibn Hazm and Anas bin Malik said: The Prophet said, "Then Allah enjoined fifty prayers on my followers when I returned with this order of Allah, I passed by Moses who asked me, 'What has Allah enjoined on your followers?' I replied, 'He has enjoined fifty prayers on them.' Moses said, 'Go back to your Lord (and appeal for reduction) for your followers will not be able to bear it.' (So I went back to Allah and requested for reduction) and He reduced it to half. When I passed by Moses again and informed him about it, he said, 'Go back to your Lord as your followers will not be able to bear it.' So I returned to Allah and requested for further reduction and half of it was reduced. I again passed by Moses and he said to me: 'Return to your Lord, for your followers will not be able to bear it. So I returned to Allah and He said, 'These are five prayers and they are all (equal to) fifty (in reward) for My Word does not change.' I returned to Moses and he told me to go back once again. I replied, 'Now I feel shy of asking my Lord again.' Then Gabriel took me till we '' reached Sidrat-il-Muntaha (Lote tree of; the utmost boundry) which was shrouded in colors, indescribable. Then I was admitted into Paradise where I found small (tents or) walls (made) of pearls and its earth was of musk." (Book #8, Hadith #345)

Ramadhan
03-24-2011, 08:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bint-Al-Islam
Can someone prove to me that praying 5 times a day is the absolute best way to go, and is the word of Allah.. and by prove, i mean...objectivly and empirically.
I don't understand your question. What do you mean objectively and empirically proof for shalah?
Do you believe in the day of reckoning, and in heaven and hell, or do you require objective and empirical proof for heaven and hell also?

However, just to entertain you, we can go through the sound logical deduction/reasoning:

1. Do you believe that Allah exist?
if yes, then go to the next question

2. Do you believe that Qur'an is the direct, pure speech/words of Allah?
if yes, then go to the next question.

3. Do you believe that Allah words are eternally true?

4. Do you believe that Allah wants the absolute best for us?

5. Do you believe that Allah command is for our own absolute good?
if yes, then you may want to read the following al qur'an verses that command us to do shalah. I am only including some of the many verses that absolutely espouses that obligation and the benefits of shalah:

"This is the Book in which there is no doubt, a guidance for those who have taqwa; who believe in the unseen, and who establish Salah, and spend out of what we have provided for them" (2: 2-3)

"The believers, men and women, are protecting friends of one another; they enjoin good and forbid evil, and they establish Salah, and give Zakah, and obey Allah and His Messenger. Allah will have His Mercy on them, and surely, Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise." (9: 71)
(pay attention to the part: and obey His messenger)

"So whatever you have been given is but (a passing) enjoyment for this worldly life, but that which is with Allah is better and more lasting for those who believe and put their trust in their Lord. And those who avoid the great sins and lewdness, and when they are angry, they forgive. And those who answer the Call of their Lord, and perform the Salah, and who conduct their affairs by mutual consultation, and who spend of what We have bestowed on them." (42:36-38)

"Seek help through patience and Salah; truly it is extremely difficult except for the humble true believers." (2:45)

"Oh you who believe! Seek help through patience and Salah. Truly, Allah is with those who are patient." (2:153)

"When have finished performing the Salah, remember Allah standing, sitting, and reclining, but when you are free from danger, perform the Salah. Surely, Salah is enjoined on the believers at fixed times." (4:103)

Now, when are those times?

Here's the verses that explain those 5 times:

Shalah Fajr and Isya':
O you who believe! Let your legal slaves and slave-girls, and those among you who have not come to the age of puberty ask your permission (before they come to your presence) on three occasions; before Fajr (morning) prayer, and while you put off your clothes for the noonday (rest), and after the 'Isha' (late-night) prayer. (These) three times are of privacy for you, other than these times there is no sin on you or on them to move about, attending (helping) you each other. Thus Allah makes clear the Ayat (the Verses of this Quran, showing proofs for the legal aspects of permission for visits, etc.) to you. And Allah is All-Knowing, All-Wise (QS.24:58)

Shalah Fajr and Maghrib:
And establish regular prayers at the two ends of the day and at the approaches of the night: For those things, that are good remove those that are evil: Be that the word of remembrance to those who remember (their Lord) (QS. 11:114)

Shalah Dhuhur, Asr, Maghrib and Isya':
Perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat) from mid-day till the darkness of the night (i.e. the Zuhr, 'Asr, Maghrib, and 'Isha' prayers), and recite the Quran in the early dawn (i.e. the morning prayer). Verily, the recitation of the Quran in the early dawn is ever witnessed (attended by the angels in charge of mankind of the day and the night). (QS. 17:78)

Shalah Asr' and Dhuhur:
Yea, to Him be praise, in the heavens and on earth; and in the late afternoon and when the day begins to decline. (QS.30:18)

Shalah Asr:
Guard strictly your (habit of) prayers, especially the Middle Prayer; and stand before Allah in a devout (frame of mind). (QS. 2:238)

Therefore, unless you answered "no" to one of the questions above or have any doubt no matter how small, you would surely understand that shalah 5 times a day is an absolute clear direct command from Allah SWT.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ali Mujahidin
03-24-2011, 10:41 AM

As salaam mualikum.

Please clarify one thing before we go any further. Do we infer from your question that you have doubts about whether it is necessary at all to pray five times a day? Or did someone tell you that it is not necessary at all to pray five times a day because there is no objective and empiric proof to do so?

Bint-Al-Islam
03-24-2011, 04:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar

I don't understand your question. What do you mean objectively and empirically proof for shalah?
Do you believe in the day of reckoning, and in heaven and hell, or do you require objective and empirical proof for heaven and hell also?
I mean by ...objectively and empirically because that’s the only way to define absolute knowledge of truth. I mean, we can objectively prove that tables are made of wood and that were talking through computers

Bint-Al-Islam
03-24-2011, 04:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ThisOldMan
As salaam mualikum.

Please clarify one thing before we go any further. Do we infer from your question that you have doubts about whether it is necessary at all to pray five times a day? Or did someone tell you that it is not necessary at all to pray five times a day because there is no objective and empiric proof to do so?

Someone told me that it is not necessary at all to pray five times a day because there is no objective and empiric proof to do so. I herd Shias dont pray 5 times a day. They combine their prayers

Woodrow
03-24-2011, 04:59 PM
:sl:

Thank You
I can not offer any proof that it is the absolute best way to go. As it is not.

The absolute best way would be for us to achieve perfection from the moment of our conception and never once stop from prayer. Every thought word and deed would be a prayer and no thought other that of Allaah(swt) would ever enter into us. But, that is not attainable, all that most of us can ever achieve is the minimum acceptable. That has been laid out in the ahadith named in some of the other posts.

Ramadhan
03-24-2011, 07:39 PM
I mean by ...objectively and empirically because that’s the only way to define absolute knowledge of truth. I mean, we can objectively prove that tables are made of wood and that were talking through computers

I still do not understand. Objective and empiric proof of the best way compared to what? not praying? praying 10 times? praying once a day?

Remember that ibada in islam is very specific, and unless the commands to do so are given in the qur'an and exemplified by prophet Muhammad SAW, it is not allowed to do ibada in any way we wish. So, for daily shalah, we base it on qur'an and ahadeeth, and NOT what we think is the best way.
Do you also require objective and empirical proof for fasting?
non-muslim doctors would advise against a month fasting because they say it may harm your health, so do you listen to the doctors or do you obey Allah and His prophet SAW?

In short, the empirical and objective proof that shalah 5 times a day is the best way is:
1. Allah commands us to do so (as I have posted the verses in my previous post)
2. prophet Muhammad SAW did it every single day from when the commands for the 5 times shalah were received/completed until he died, and from his commands to all muslims to do shalah in the same way he did it.
In fact, on his deathbed, his last message for us is to guard our shalah.

Someone told me that it is not necessary at all to pray five times a day because there is no objective and empiric proof to do so. I herd Shias dont pray 5 times a day. They combine their prayers
Ah. It is clearer now.
You must have heard from people who reject ahadeeth. People who reject ahadeeth do not obey the prophet. ironically, this command to obey the prophet Muhammad SAW is very clear and directed by Allah SWT in the qur'an, so it is clear that the hadith rejectors are in fact disobeying Allah SWT. People who are hadith rejectors would tell you to only follow the Qur'an, but how can you follow the Qur'an if you don't follow sunnah, because everything that prophet Muhammad SAW did and said were nothing but exemplifying qur'an?
Remember that ahadeeth regulating and illuminating the daily shalah are numerous and clear and shahih or hasan.
The hadith rejectors do not believe that following the example of prophet Muhammad SAW is the best way or necessary.

I dont know how many times shia do their shalah, but you must remember that, because of their deep deep hatred for the shahaba, shias reject most of the ahadeeth narrated/transmitted by every shahaba except Ali and fatimah (ra).
You need to learn how shia came into being (which was instigated by Abdullah ibn. Saba, a jew who set out to divide Islam from within).

Little_Lion
03-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Our Prophet, (saw) was able to describe Jerusalem in detail after the Night Journey, during which the instruction for the Prayer was given to him from Allah (see above) was related. Since he had not been to Jerusalem in person, is this the empirical proof you were looking for that it was a command from Allah? My apologies if this is not what you were asking for.

selsebil
03-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Assalaam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

If you want to understand with the certainty that two plus two equals four just how valuable and important are the prescribed prayers, and with what little expense they are gained, and how crazy and harmful is the person who neglects them, pay attention to the following story which is in the form of a comparison:
Read this :
http://www.lightofquran.info/4word.htm

Like each of the times of prayer marks the start of an important revolution, so also is each a mirror to Divine disposal of power and to the universal Divine bounties within that disposal. Thus, more glorification and extolling of the All-Powerful One of Glory have been ordered at those times, and more praise and thanks for all the innumerable bounties accumulated between each of the times, which is the meaning of the prescribed prayers. In order to understand a little this subtle and profound meaning, you should listen together with my own soul to the following five ‘Points’.
Read this:

http://www.lightofquran.info/9word.htm

Ali Mujahidin
03-25-2011, 06:50 PM
As salaam mualaikum.

To pray is to acknowledge that there is One that is greater than you, that there is One that is more intelligent than you, that there is One that knows more than you. Therefor to pray is very uncomfortable for anyone who thinks that just because they can think, they think that they can think out everything and so does not need to be told what to think. Said thinking, of course, is total nonsense. I am serious. We can only think if there is input of information. Our input of information is limited to only what our five weak senses can perceive. There is certainly a lot more than what our five weak senses can perceive. Therefor to think that our ability to think makes us so great that we do not need bow down to the One and Only is a delusion.

As a very rough analogy, imagine a radio that plays all kinds of wonderful songs and beautiful music. So much so that the radio thinks that it is the source of all that sound coming from it. So it disconnects from the radio station. Do you think that the radio can still play all kinds of wonderful songs and beautiful music if it is not connected to the radio station?

Hope this is useful. Insha Allah.

greenhill
03-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Hmmmm, maybe I will go a bit on a tangent here...

I'm not going to talk about the spiritual aspects, but the others..

The first one is what I have noticed myself in my travels. It was distinct, the level of flexibility between Muslims and non Muslims. I find that most adults in western nations can't squat, sit on the floor for too long whereas those who are regular in their prayers are able to sit on the floor and get up unaided until a ripe old age.

Having to do ablutions at least several times a day keep us clean(er)

The position of sujud (especially when taking time in that position) forces blood into parts of the brain which otherwise would be starved of blood/oxygen.

The whole cycle of prayer (salat) is like a 'light' stretching exercise (with focus on blood movement to the brain [I noticed] with rukuk having the head and the heart at the same level and iktidal blood drains away only to have fresh blood forced in during sujood) ..

It is also therapeutic to the soul..

:peace:

M.I.A.
03-14-2015, 03:24 PM
Its a case of whoever you throw your lot in with..

You get a job, you become part of the job..

That's the circle you move in.

That's your situation and your choices.

So when you pray you become part of people that pray, I'd say belief is power but can't put a value or statistic or tangible proof on it..

Or what you define as power.

Its like being a pro boxer.. Sparring partners are like moving punch bags..

Or whatever your religion implies.

Thrones opposing is a very rare circumstance indeed.. Although what that had to do with prayer is any bodies guess.

...I'm just speculating though, with hardship comes ease apparently.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!