/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why I chose Islam?

Ami
03-26-2011, 12:58 AM
I hope I am posting this in right section!
Ok so some of you were wondering how I became Muslim, it is a long story so I will try explain it.

I was born into a Catholic family but I wouldn't consider my family to be particularly religious as we never went to mass or things like this. However I remember from a young age how much I thought about God and even my mum tells me how I would always talk about having to pray to God because I was afraid God would be angry with me if I didn't pray. This is when I was like 4/5 years old and since my parents aren't religious I don't know who I was influenced by.
Then into my early teens I started second level and we had religion class but it wasn't like primary school anymore because we started to learn about World Religions. I actually remember my first thoughts on Islam as we learnt Muslims pray 5 times a day and do wudu and I just thought oh my God that is so much time I could never do that.
I started becoming really interested in Buddhism for a while and considered myself Buddhist but I think I was mainly attracted to the meditation parts of it because I soon left it. I became really depressed when I was about 16 and I felt like I didn't know what life was all about. I have always been a deep thinker and inquisitive person so I could never accept things the way they are. I always want to look for more answers. I was spending a lot of time at discos and aftertime I started to feel like everything in my life was superficial. I never forgot God though, I still 'talked' to God and asked Him to help me. Then when I was 17 I met a muslim person who really changed my life and that is how I was introduced to Islam on a more detailed level. The person never preached to me or anything but just said that I should research it myself. So I did. I started reading about Islam and thinking I don't believe this mainly because of the women issues. I wouldn't call myself a very modest person back then so it was hard for me to accept why a woman should be modest and why this and why that. I did leave reading about Islam for a while because I wasn't interested but as I spent more time with that Muslim person I was learning more about life and suddenly I found myself changing and wanting to be modest. I stopped eating pork and drinking alcohol.

I would say i spent about 6 months studying the main parts of Islam. I started to understand it more but I am not sure if I started it the wrong way because I was reading books when really I should have turned to the quran alone. Rather I turned to the quran lastly! I was just really angry and upset one night and decided I am going to randomly read a part of the quran. It landed on ad duha and then that is when my whole life changed and I could feel like God was with me or listening to me and had answered me just because of that surah. It was an amazing feeling. I then said shahadah. That was about a few months ago but at the start it took me a long time to adjust - what would I tell people? what about my parents? I did try do Ramadan alone but I didn't complete it as I stopped after 2 weeks. However I never give up on the long term because I know there will be difficulties and that I need patience. I know taht I feel like my life has meaning now. I only started to learn how to pray completely last month. I used to just watch videos on Youtube and use the hadiths to guide me and I gradually picked it up.

The hardest thing is sometimes the feeling of being alone. I dont live in a majority Muslim country and the nearest mosque is 2 hours away so it can get frustrating. I don't feel like there is a lot of information in my country about Islam and I definitely don't think the Muslim community do enough. Did I find the conversion hard? Yes because at one stage I felt guilty that I am leaving the Christian God and accepting the Islamic God but aftertime I realised God was the same all along I just had a different concept of God. Btw I dont believe I ever believed Jesus as being God because I always viewed them separately anyway so that wasnt hard for me.

The best thing about Islam is that I figured out what is real and what is not. The media distorts a lot of things and it makes me sad that people believe it but I think the most important thing as Muslims we can do is: do not tell THEM they have to change their opinions but rather WE need to help them understand Islam better. It annoys me when I hear stories of Muslims saying well this is our way of life you can't understand it because people can understand if they are given the chance and given the correct information. Also I think a thing I was shocked by when I first became Muslim was thinking all Muslims are good e.g. a Muslim drinking alcohol and I was like but they are Muslim how can they do that? Not all of us represent what Islam really is just the way when I was Christian before I did not represent what Christianity was because I never practiced my religion then.

Also another thing I would like to say most Muslims welcome me so much because I converted and it makes me feel like I am so special and part of this big family which is really nice BUT some Muslims treat me like because I am new that I am not on their level and that I am not really like a Muslim which is very hurtful! I just think we all need to be a lot more tolerant of each other and respectful because respect goes a long way.

Well I hope it wasnt too long hopefully its of interest to some of you or if you have any questions then ask its fine!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
03-26-2011, 09:28 AM
:salamext:

Ami that is really interesting! I like how the first surah meaning you read was surah Duha [the Pre-Noon SunLight Glow], that is such an amazing surah..

It's true, alot of converts are shocked when they see non-practising Muslims doing bad. But I think you're right that we should tolerate each other more, so people feel more at ease with Islam.

Ami
03-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks Qadar yes I always read surah ad Duha if I have difficulty with something in life so I try remember how I felt when I first read it. particularly because surah ad duha talks about guidance and how Allah is there for us even if we think He forgot us.

Faatin
03-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Salaams Ami =]. I read your post and couldn't help but smile. I think it's one of the most beautiful things, when a persons main focus is to try and find a way to connect with God. Especially when one is a teen, and they don't care so much about the world's deceptions and desires, but focus more on pleasing their Lord. Thanks for posting sis, these stories are always heart-warming. I pray that Allah will make this life easy for you, and grant you the highest level of paradise.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MustafaMc
03-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Welcome to Islam. May Allah (subhana wa ta ala) continue to guide you to grow in Islam. Becoming a practicing Muslim was difficult for me as it is not easy being different from every one else. May Allah (swt) make it easy for you.

Ansariyah
03-26-2011, 08:14 PM
MashaAllah, so nice to read ur story. May Allah continue to guide u sista, ameeeen.=)

Endymion
03-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Salams My dearest sister and Congratulations for selecting the right path,the path of success :statisfie

Its truly great and refreshing to read how people find out light while living in the darkness.Your judgments and thoughts about Islam and Muslims today are great and the solutions you suggest for behaviors against Islam are logical and thoughtful.
And one thing to mention.The people who do not consider you to the same level of Islam are right.You are not like them,my dear.You are greater and better than them as they are Muslims without any struggle and you actually find this way for you.To me,you and people like you are on a Pedestal,high in ranks.I always take reverts as selected people :statisfie
If any of the behavior hurt you,just remind yourself that your Islam is for Allah SWT,not for people and Allah SWT knows whats in our heart and mind.He SWT is all-Knowing.

May Allah SWT makes this life easy for you,bless you with health,happiness,honor and success in both Dunyah and Aakhirah.May the Mercy and help of Allah SWT be with you always.Amen.
Keep me in your doaa as the doaa of converts accepted before we old Muslims :statisfie

Love you for the sake of Allah SWT :statisfie

Ami
03-26-2011, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
If any of the behavior hurt you,just remind yourself that your Islam is for Allah SWT,not for people and Allah SWT knows whats in our heart and mind.He SWT is all-Knowing.
That is great advice thank you I will definitely keep this in mind!

Neelofar
03-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Just want to say a kwick welcome to the forum and welcome to Islam! By the way, you are special because you're one of the chosen few that Allah swt has decided to guide towards Islam! Alhumdulillah :D remain patient and make lots of dua!

Ali Mujahidin
03-27-2011, 03:21 AM
As salaam mualaikum.

Ahlan wa sahlan. I pray that Allah will keep you strong and steady on the true path of Islam. Ameen.

Ramadhan
03-27-2011, 10:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ami
Thanks Qadar yes I always read surah ad Duha if I have difficulty with something in life so I try remember how I felt when I first read it. particularly because surah ad duha talks about guidance and how Allah is there for us even if we think He forgot us.

:sl:

Jazakallah for sharing your beautiful story.
May Allah rewards you immensely and keep guiding you the straight path. amiin.

When I was at the deepest of my despair (and I was practically out of Islam), my mother advised me to read surah Dhuha, and it helped so immensely.
Whenever I am down, Id love to recite surah Dhuha (QS. 93) and surah Sharh (QS. 94).
I also find it amazing that they are both next to each other in the Qur'an.

- Qatada -
03-27-2011, 02:12 PM
:salamext: Ami

you will find this of great benefit insha' Allah, to give you an even better understanding of surah Duha;

http://linguisticmiracle.com/duha.htm

Ami
03-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Thank you for that Qatada I am sure I will find it useful

World Peace
03-28-2011, 03:45 AM
salamo aleacom warahmato Allah wabarakato sister Ami

Masha Allah :smile: mabrook for reverting to Islam. Alhamdo lillah, its wounderful to hear.

May Allah guide them and forgive them for the way they treated you. It is unislamic, and does not please Allah. We are all brothers and sisters, and we should all be helping and supporting each other. Even if they still treat you in that way, if you act in the way of prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) and with mercy and patience, they will see the real Islam through you, through your Moral, your words, your deeds, your actions, and may change through you. Do not be saddend, Allah is with you, and he is your protecting friend. Put your trust in Allah. Life is full of trials and tests, and through that Allah strengthens the will of his Servents and their faith. And with their patience Allah will award them paradise.

I would like to share with you the following links, I hope you find them useful sister.

Discover the Truth about Islam
theradiantlight.blogspot.com

Islamic Religion
islamreligion.com

Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him)
rasoulallah.net

Islamic Invitation
islamic-invitation.com/index.php

Ami
03-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Thank you for the kind words WorldPeace and the links I

Ami
03-28-2011, 10:09 AM
(opps...i pressed enter before i finished)........the links I am sure I will find beneficial

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!