View Full Version : All that's healthy ain't so tasty

peace_maker
03-26-2011, 02:29 PM
All that's healthy ain't so tasty

Agree or Disagree?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
03-26-2011, 02:43 PM
it seems to be true ... but you know we should define what "tasty" means (things we get used to eat, popular food, expensive, ..), it depends on the place we come from too.
We can be less confused when it comes to the definition of "healthy". But it's also relative, some things are healthy for some people but not healthy for others and vice versa.

sherz_umr
03-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Ths comes to mind,
'The only way to keep your health is to eat what you dont want, drink what you dont lke, and do what you'd rather not..
- Mark Twain.

I hate green leafy veggies, papaya, brinjals etc. I hope i get sme recipe that make them tasty..usualy cooking weird tasting stuf in difrent ways cud gt 1 to lke stuf thy previously hated.

Wish junk food, sweets etc contained LOADS of nutrition..imagine mom packing burgers,chocolate etc.

Woodrow
03-26-2011, 10:36 PM
The "all" word negates the Question. While it is true some healthy things are not tasty, many healthy foods are very tasty.

To make food taste it's best only eat when you are hungry, do not over eat, and eat a variety not just one or 2 items.

One draw back of growing old is a person's sense of taste often goes along with any feelings of hunger. All food reaches a point it all tastes alike. Many of us older ones rely very heavily on extremely spicy condiments and sauces. The food on my plate all has a single flavor......HOT.

Enough hot peppers can make anything edible.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-26-2011, 10:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Many of us older ones rely very heavily on extremely spicy condiments and sauces. The food on my plate all has a single flavor......HOT.
Assalaamu Alaaykum

I agree, my father loves hot, spicy food, i cannot stand it, as it hurts my tongue, its hard to eat. Although mild spicy is fine.

But to the OP, there are healthy foods which are tasty and some which are not. I believe everyone likes different foods, as we all have different taste buds i think. But i may be wrong :-\.

Ghazalah
03-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Fruits, dates and broccoli are about the only healthy and tasty food. I love spicy food, but from the cultural background I'm from I'm seen as weird for that imsad

Woodrow
03-26-2011, 11:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pєαяℓ σf Wιѕ∂σм

Assalaamu Alaaykum

I agree, my father loves hot, spicy food, i cannot stand it, as it hurts my tongue, its hard to eat. Although mild spicy is fine.

But to the OP, there are healthy foods which are tasty and some which are not. I believe everyone likes different foods, as we all have different taste buds i think. But i may be wrong :-\.
An Actual picture I just took of one of my kitchen cabinets

Woodrow
03-26-2011, 11:41 PM
there are quite a few very tasty foods to be found. Nearly every fruit. Also various nuts. Most salad greens can be quite tasty. In fact nearly everything can be a tasty healthy food. Just avoid added sugars and salts.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-26-2011, 11:59 PM

Imagine the taste if you mixed them all together, subhaan'Allaah. Brother Woodrow you should see yourself in the mirror next time eating them, you might notice steam coming out of your ears :-\ I can imagine it burning my tongue :-\

Its like eating fire almost i guess. I use to like the sauces but i gave up as they were too much for me.

Like i mentioned we all have different taste buds, something one loves others however may not :-\

PouringRain
03-27-2011, 04:31 AM
I love healthy foods! I actually love the natural taste of foods-- completely unseasoned. If I am cooking just for myself, then I leave things completely plain and unseasoned. If I am cooking for my family, then I season and dress things up. (I actually love to cook.)

peace_maker
03-27-2011, 12:08 PM
The "all" word negates the Question. While it is true some healthy things are not tasty, many healthy foods are very tasty.
Ok, I made a mistake there by writing 'all'. I too agree that some foods are tasty and others are not.

True... When our food is spicy, we try finish eating it as fast as we can, regardless of its taste or even what it is. We only want the food off our plates so that we can spend the rest of our time in peace. ;)

format_quote Originally Posted by sherz_umr
I hate green leafy veggies, papaya, brinjals etc. I hope i get sme recipe that make them tasty..usualy cooking weird tasting stuf in difrent ways cud gt 1 to lke stuf thy previously hated.
That's the point, any food can be eaten even if its not tasty with additional spices. By altering the taste of the food to our desire, anything can be eaten.

Many people eat healthy foods either for themselves or being forced by their parents.
Gradually, it becomes a habit. Just because we got used to them, doesn't make it tasty, does it?

there are quite a few very tasty foods to be found. Nearly every fruit. Also various nuts. Most salad greens can be quite tasty. In fact nearly everything can be a tasty healthy food. Just avoid added sugars and salts.
Actually, I was refering to the veggies only. Almost all fruits are tasty, juicy!
Ofcourse most of the healthy foods are tasty but not as tasty as the unhealthy ones. You gotta agree, that unhealthy foods do taste good.

Woodrow
03-27-2011, 12:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peace_maker
Actually, I was refering to the veggies only. Almost all fruits are tasty, juicy!
Ofcourse most of the healthy foods are tasty but not as tasty as the unhealthy ones. You gotta agree, that unhealthy foods do taste good.
OK I admit unhealthy is tasty. Although I have long ago lost any desire for sweets and the like, I confess that over the years I have eaten more than my share of empty calories.

elina
03-27-2011, 01:25 PM

your cupboard looks much like mine, though except for the tabasco i have different makes :)

I really like fruit and veg which i do find tasty, shame its not as tasty as chocolate though :)

Human_Being
03-27-2011, 07:37 PM

Tat's crazy bruv how do ur insides cope?!

@ OP I disagree cuz lots of healthy food tastes good and lots of unhealrthy fud tastes yuck! But I like plain food.

Woodrow
03-28-2011, 12:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Human_Being
Tat's crazy bruv how do ur insides cope?!
Oddly I found in my travels that the people, in the countries with the most spicy foods, have the least amount of stomach disorders. Although spicy foods will aggravate things like ulcers, it seems that they prevent ulcers if a person does not have them.

syilla
03-28-2011, 02:34 PM
healthy food actually taste good....food used as medicine does taste awful...and i think junk food actually taste terrible...just tell me one 100% junk food no nutrition and at all that still taste good

sherz_umr
03-28-2011, 02:51 PM
i could die for sweet stuff..chocolate,cakes,ice creams etc.. Bt my mom doesnt let me eat em nymore,coz ma dads diabetic.. I ABSOLUTELY ADORE ths arabic (some say its greek) sweet.. I think its cald 'backlava'?..its a load of chopped pistachio mixture wrapped in a thick sticky brown semolina. Dad says just looking at it wil giv ppl diabetes..unhealthy but yup.
If i go2 heaven,im defntly gona ask for a house made of this..lke the gingerbread house..

Woodrow
03-28-2011, 03:04 PM
i could die for sweet stuff..chocolate,cakes,ice creams etc.. Bt my mom doesnt let me eat em nymore,coz ma dads diabetic.. I ABSOLUTELY ADORE ths arabic (some say its greek) sweet.. I think its cald 'backlava'?..its a load of chopped pistachio mixture wrapped in a thick sticky brown semolina. Dad says just looking at it wil giv ppl diabetes..unhealthy but yup.
If i go2 heaven,im defntly gona ask for a house made of this..lke the gingerbread house..
While Baqlawa (Baklava) is very high in calories and sodium, it is a very healthy food when eaten in moderation. It has a good level of protein, no trans fats, also a good source of Vitamin A and iron. Like many things a little is good for you a lot can fatten you up very fast.

Endymion
03-28-2011, 03:24 PM

To make food taste it's best only eat when you are hungry, do not over eat, and eat a variety not just one or 2 items.
I agree.

One draw back of growing old is a person's sense of taste often goes along with any feelings of hunger. All food reaches a point it all tastes alike. Many of us older ones rely very heavily on extremely spicy condiments and sauces. The food on my plate all has a single flavor......HOT.

Thanks for saying that.I was really worried about my Father who add salt and spices on every food and call them tasteless.According to my personal opinion,it was becoz of he is growing old and smoking Ciggerette :cry:
But i was not confirmed about that so never share it with anyone.
But i think now i can say that for sure,my conclusion was right :statisfie

Reflections
03-28-2011, 03:42 PM
I hardly eat healthy, maybe just the odd fruit once a week, cook anything but vegetable-and if I do cook veg I add chicken to it...and I'm a total junkie :ermm:

peace_maker
03-29-2011, 10:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
just tell me one 100% junk food no nutrition and at all that still taste good
Potato fries... Full carb and fat, yet, yum!

I ABSOLUTELY ADORE ths arabic (some say its greek) sweet.. I think its cald 'backlava'?..its a load of chopped pistachio mixture wrapped in a thick sticky brown semolina. Dad says just looking at it wil giv ppl diabetes..unhealthy but yup.
Baklawa... So good. How come arabic sweets are so tempting?

While Baqlawa (Baklava) is very high in calories and sodium, it is a very healthy food when eaten in moderation. It has a good level of protein, no trans fats, also a good source of Vitamin A and iron. Like many things a little is good for you a lot can fatten you up very fast.
Hey, that's great news! I never knew baklawa could be healthy!

format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
Thanks for saying that.I was really worried about my Father who add salt and spices on every food and call them tasteless.According to my personal opinion,it was becoz of he is growing old and smoking Ciggerette :cry:
But i was not confirmed about that so never share it with anyone.
But i think now i can say that for sure,my conclusion was right :statisfie
Why do old people eat so much spice? :-\
I thought as people grow old, they must reduce their spice intake.

format_quote Originally Posted by Bint Abi
I hardly eat healthy, maybe just the odd fruit once a week, cook anything but vegetable-and if I do cook veg I add chicken to it...and I'm a total junkie :ermm:
Whoa, you sure are.
I may not like many veggies but I do have a balanced diet.

Hannah.
03-29-2011, 06:57 PM
50/50 - some taste delicous, others.. not so much.
The other day I had 4 different types of fruit for lunch, I must say I felt somewhat healthy compared to my other friends who were munching down on chocolate :P

Endymion
03-29-2011, 07:16 PM

Why do old people eat so much spice? :-\
I thought as people grow old, they must reduce their spice intake.
Ofcourse they do but as they grow old,they are unable to smell and taste properly,to listen properly and to walk as well imsad Thats Natural,they themselves cant help it :cry:

And that is why Allah SWT command us to be polite with them and not to say a word of contempt to them.May Allah SWT keep us all healthy.Amen.

Haya emaan
03-29-2011, 07:30 PM
all that's unhealthy is tasty... y is so...??^o)

Reflections
03-30-2011, 12:22 AM
I personally find healthy food not so filling

Woodrow
03-30-2011, 12:40 AM

Hey, that's great news! I never knew baklawa could be healthy!

Don't over look the Qualifying statement that goes with it. "When eaten in moderation" in other words in a small amount not as a meal in itself.

peace_maker
03-30-2011, 08:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mun-o-salwa
all that's unhealthy is tasty... y is so...??^o)
Maybe coz unhealthy foods contain lot of fats, and fats taste good. :D

Don't over look the Qualifying statement that goes with it. "When eaten in moderation" in other words in a small amount not as a meal in itself.
Haha... Ok, I get it. Eat it and move it!

Ghazalah
03-30-2011, 06:31 PM
I think I'm the only Arab who does not like Arab sweets, they're so... Sweet =/ not nice. +o( When I go to guests house and they offer me and I say no thank you, they think I'm too shy to take (pfft <_<) so they add more on my plate, then I'm like no really I don't like them! :exhausted

GuestFellow
03-31-2011, 10:06 PM
I can't believe I actually forgot what I voted for.... O_o

marwen
03-31-2011, 10:17 PM
^ a croissant fan ? you certainly voted : 'Agree'. Croissants = tasty + not healthy.

PouringRain
04-01-2011, 12:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
I can't believe I actually forgot what I voted for.... O_o
The one you voted for should be italicized.

GuestFellow
04-01-2011, 11:06 AM
^ Oh thanks! I voted for "disagree".

syilla
04-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Actually potatoes are good for you it have vitamins you know...and very good for skins mind you :p

peace_maker
04-23-2011, 11:33 AM
^Actually, potatoes have only 2 vitamins, vitamin C and vitamin B6, which if found in very less quantity. But, yes, potato does have a good amount of vitamin C but, when it comes to fries, there really is no vitamin C left in them.

Vitamin C is destroyed when heated, i.e., when the temperature reaches to above 70 degrees.

So, french fries are pack of fats, carbohydrates and rarely, protein.

Woodrow
04-23-2011, 12:57 PM
This thread reminds me of a story:

A reporter is given the assignment to find and interview the oldest person in the city and find out what he attributes his old age to. He eventually sees an ancient looking man walking down the street. Stopping the old man he asks "Tell be kind sir, what is the secret of your living as long as you have" the old man replies " I have lived my entire life on a diet of junk food. My main meals are French Fries and a big Mac washed down with a Chocolate shake. I never drink water just colas and other soft drinks. I avoid all fruits and except for French fries I eat no vegetables. I completely ignore calories, cholesterol, saturated fats, salt and all that other nonsense." The reporter exclaims that "That is incredible, by the way how old are you?" The old man answers "I'll be 19 next week."

Moral of the Story: All that tastes good may not be what is best for you.

Salahudeen
04-23-2011, 01:05 PM
The problem is, we have been exposed to all these junk foods that are very tasty to us, if we had not been exposed to them and there was only healthy food available, we would probably find it very tasty because our tongues had not been exposed to all the sweet dishes.

For example, I think years ago, they would have found a healthy meal very tasty because all the junk never existed so they never knew anything else. I heard the favourite drink of the prophet (saw) was honey water, he must've have found it very sweet and tasty but today we would not find it as tasty because we have pepsi and cola lol.

Woodrow
04-23-2011, 01:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
The problem is, we have been exposed to all these junk foods that are very tasty to us, if we had not been exposed to them and there was only healthy food available, we would probably find it very tasty because our tongues had not been exposed to all the sweet dishes.

For example, I think years ago, they would have found a healthy meal very tasty because all the junk never existed so they never knew anything else. I heard the favourite drink of the prophet (saw) was honey water, he must've have found it very sweet and tasty but today we would not find it as tasty because we have pepsi and cola lol.
Sadly that is true. The junk foods of today have been designed to be the most tasty and exposure to them does reduce our desire for healthy food. We have become a world of junk food addicts.

However, if we make a conscious effort to eat only that which is healthy, we will discover that over time it will actually taste good. Our bodies have the ability to make us desire what we need. If we curb our intake of empty calorie, good tasting, synthetic foods our own body will cause us to crave that which we actually need. That will make healthy food taste good.

Of course you can live to be old enough that no food has any taste and at that point you can drown anything in hot sauce. Then you can no longer distinguish the difference in taste between a healthy meal and junk, so might as well eat that which is healthy.

Ramadhan
04-24-2011, 03:44 AM
Sadly that is true. The junk foods of today have been designed to be the most tasty and exposure to them does reduce our desire for healthy food. We have become a world of junk food addicts. However, if we make a conscious effort to eat only that which is healthy, we will discover that over time it will actually taste good. Our bodies have the ability to make us desire what we need. If we curb our intake of empty calorie, good tasting, synthetic foods our own body will cause us to crave that which we actually need. That will make healthy food taste good. Of course you can live to be old enough that no food has any taste and at that point you can drown anything in hot sauce. Then you can no longer distinguish the difference in taste between a healthy meal and junk, so might as well eat that which is healthy.

In the US, isn't it cheaper and more convenience to buy and eat processed foods and unhealthy food/drinks?

In Indonesia, healthy, fresh and cooked food are still more tasty and cheaper than processed food, although things are starting to get worse. More children obesity in metropolitan areas like Jakarta are on the rise.

Woodrow
04-24-2011, 05:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar

In the US, isn't it cheaper and more convenience to buy and eat processed foods and unhealthy food/drinks?

In Indonesia, healthy, fresh and cooked food are still more tasty and cheaper than processed food, although things are starting to get worse. More children obesity in metropolitan areas like Jakarta are on the rise.
That is true if you live in a city. However were I am the closest MacDonalds is over 200 miles away. I only know of one Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) and that is 225 miles from me. the cost of driving to get any fast junk food out weighs the cost of home cooking.

Yanal
04-24-2011, 06:29 AM
:sl:

It may not be so tasty but good for the body,being physically fit, makes us aware,while eating junk food and drinking soda to the extreme will make you lazy for prayer and prevent you from acting upon other good deeds. You know the Shai'taan will try to prevent you but you don't want the digestion of the junk food and soda to convince yourself your tired or such.

Salahudeen
04-24-2011, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar

That is true of the UK also brother, where we live, it's much cheaper to eat junk food rather than healthy food, you can get fish and chips for £1.20 and chicken and chips for £1. And you can get burger meals that come with chips and drink for £2. Very cheap.

Chavundur
04-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Taking blood type into account is also very important, I was not knowing that till a few years ago. When I eat white bread at noon, After twenty minutes, A sleepy mode doesn't let me concentrate on mental activities, because my blood type B Rh+ and absorbing white food is not easy in this group. However Red meat is being suggested due to strong stomach acid levels of B Rh+. A types have different disadvantages and advantages.

Salahudeen
04-24-2011, 03:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chavundur
Taking blood type into account is also very important, I was not knowing that till a few years ago. When I eat white bread at noon, After twenty minutes, A sleepy mode doesn't let me concentrate on mental activities, because my blood type B Rh+ and absorbing white food is not easy in this group. However Red meat is being suggested due to strong stomach acid levels of B Rh+. A types have different disadvantages and advantages.
:omg: brother this happens to me also, if I eat a jacket potatoe I am literally falling asleep 20 minutes later. And if I eat more than 2 slices of white bread I also fall asleep.

syilla
05-10-2011, 06:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chavun

no wonder they have these method of diets according to blood type...because i heard its actually not true. but from you've said it is true. Interesting ...

Amanda
05-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Definitely disagree... I love making healthy food, and it usually turns out very tasty...
Plus, think about all the fresh fruits and vegetables that are healthy... nothing beats a salad made with vegetables fresh from the garden! Yum!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!