/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu

Abdul-Raouf
03-27-2011, 06:55 PM
ubuntu users.. pls unite here
and post ur tips and queries.

Q: i installed ubuntu in windows7 as an application.. Im unable to connect to my wifi router..even aftr providing the connection..login details.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Little_Lion
03-28-2011, 04:32 AM
Try using your WEP key, instead of just the user name and password. Our Ubuntu box is the central part of our network and that's what we had to do to get it to work.

Ali Mujahidin
03-28-2011, 04:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
Q: i installed ubuntu in windows7 as an application.. Im unable to connect to my wifi router..even aftr providing the connection..login details.
:sl:

Have you tried updating the drivers?

Dagless
03-29-2011, 04:45 AM
Which version of Ubuntu? Are you using network manager? Did you try entering all the settings manually?

format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
Try using your WEP key, instead of just the user name and password.
wep = no security.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Little_Lion
03-29-2011, 05:51 AM
Dagless: there is a bug with some routers that when trying to connect your system to it, it does not recognize your user name and password, and you have to enter the WEP key. The user name and password are still there and encrypted, it just won't allow you to use it for setup (don't ask me why, or how, it just does). It definitely does not mean that there is no security there; we've invited over the comp students from the local tech school with the challenge of breaking into our system because ours is affected, and they can't, it's still secure.

Abdul-Raouf
03-29-2011, 06:06 AM
9.10 LTS - is the one im having..sticking to the old one..as it worked..

its having problem in detecting my router.. - i mean its unable to use the WLAN receiver in my laptop..and detect the roputer..
BUT..when i plugged in a WLAN dongle to my laptop...it detected on its own without asking for the password.

10.04 - LTS tried - but installation problem...after it says 100%...its starting to download again... lucid desktop.iso file

10.10..downloaded yesterday...burned it onto a CD...and it has some installation issue :(

Dagless
03-29-2011, 06:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
Dagless: there is a bug with some routers that when trying to connect your system to it, it does not recognize your user name and password, and you have to enter the WEP key. The user name and password are still there and encrypted, it just won't allow you to use it for setup (don't ask me why, or how, it just does). It definitely does not mean that there is no security there; we've invited over the comp students from the local tech school with the challenge of breaking into our system because ours is affected, and they can't, it's still secure.
I thought you would always have to enter the key? This is off topic, but anyway my point was that wep as a security measure should not be relied upon. I don't know the ins and outs of your student challenge but wep itself shouldn't take more than a few minutes to crack.

9.10 LTS - is the one im having..sticking to the old one..as it worked..

its having problem in detecting my router.. - i mean its unable to use the WLAN receiver in my laptop..and detect the roputer..
BUT..when i plugged in a WLAN dongle to my laptop...it detected on its own without asking for the password.

10.04 - LTS tried - but installation problem...after it says 100%...its starting to download again... lucid desktop.iso file

10.10..downloaded yesterday...burned it onto a CD...and it has some installation issue :(
Hmm that sucks. As bro ThisOldMan said, have you checked drivers? Go to 'hardware drivers' under 'administration'. Type iwconfig in terminal too and tell us what it says.

'Abd Al-Maajid
04-03-2011, 05:21 AM
Congratulations!!! You are free now.

I have never tried using wireless internet on my Ubuntu box. I use DHCP connection.

'Abd Al-Maajid
04-03-2011, 05:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
Type iwconfig in terminal too and tell us what it says.
Code:
abdulmajid@abdulmajid-desktop:~$ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.
hehe

'Abd Al-Maajid
04-03-2011, 05:31 AM
I am unable to run Lotus Symphony on my computer seamlessly, it makes my computer very slow and application itself. Any help is much appreciated.

initially it said there was some problem in installing the sw but then again i fount the icon and it was installed on my PC but it was very slow in startup and all...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!