/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How I Became a Muslim

Flame of Hope
03-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Assalaamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa baraktuhu!

My story is a pretty long one and I was posting it in parts in the Stories of Muslim Reverts thread. But I saw that it was holding up others from posting their stories and I didn't want to be in the way. So here's my reversion story....

Part 1: Born to Atheist Parents

“There’s no such thing as God!”

That’s what I believed most of my childhood thanks to the teachings of my parents. They said, “We believe in science. Not God. Where is God? Why doesn’t He show Himself? If He exists why is there so much suffering in this world?” It was and still is a hot topic for discussion with them.

I greatly admired and adored my parents. As a kid, I used to think they were such great thinkers and philosophers. It never occurred to me that they could be wrong. Of course they were right! Till the age of nine I had the opportunity to observe the rituals, customs and ways of life of people of belonging to different religions, but more in particular, the Hindus. I thought my mom was so clever when she pointed out that the Hindus fashioned idols out of their own hands and then worshipped them as gods. “Doesn’t this show you that it is man who has created God?” she would say.

In India, superstitions are in plenty. There’s also much indulgence in astrology, palmistry, numerology and fortune-telling. There are numerous god-men or saints. My parents would have none of this nonsense. They did not believe in any of it. Talk about ghosts and they would laugh the matter off. There were no such things as ghosts. No such thing as spirits. No such thing as God. So I grew up thinking it wasn’t rational to believe in things that were not proven by science to be true.

So my family members had great pride in their intellectual powers of thought and reason. There’s some proof of their intellectual capabilities in their achievements. My mom is a champion chess player and beaten many men in the game. She also won in many badminton tournaments. My grandmother was a respected headmistress of a school. My grandfather was the first lawyer in our town. And my great grandfather used to be a judge who would settle disputes in the community.

Now what was I compared to them? :embarrass I just looked up to them and followed their teachings. I remember arguing with my friends in school about the existence of God. I would demand them to produce their proof it they were right. Of course, none of them could prove it and some of the kids even acknowledged that I could be right in what I said. But still, they were afraid to give up their belief in God.

Later on, I would reflect upon the sad state of affairs of my friends who believed in a god that didn’t exist. I felt sorry for them. But as I thought more and more about God, I couldn’t help thinking about death as well. Finally I thought to myself, “There was nothing going to happen after we died. And these people had invented God to make themselves feel better. It was comforting to think they would go to heaven after death.”

So I thought I knew at the age of eleven the reason why people believed in God. It was because they wanted to go to heaven, the poor things. ;D

Till the age of thirteen, I continued engaging in arguments and debates regarding the non-existence of God with my classmates. Once I even said I could jump from the building to prove He didn’t exist! Sooooo confident was I! :shade:

But now I had reached the age of puberty. And by this time, my powers of observation and reasoning had greatly developed at an accelerated pace.

I was quick to learn that I had many limitations as a girl. I was extremely aware of my weaknesses. I had no desire to compete with men once I acquired this awareness. So I differed from my mom and sister immensely in this respect. As an adolescent, I preferred to wear clothes that fully covered me. The way I conducted myself differed greatly from the way of my sister who had no problem wearing shorts and mini skirts.

As soon as I entered my teens, I had become aware of something called responsibility and the problem of choice. I tossed this issue in my mind, wondering what it meant. I began to ask questions. Why do we have to make choices? Why is there a right way and a wrong way?

More importantly, I asked myself the question, “Why is it that I refuse to take the wrong way?”

As I thought about it, the answer came to me quite easily. I refused to take the wrong way because I could see the end result of it. Subhanallah! Of all the gifts that God has given me, I appreciate most this awesome gift of foresight. I was given the ability to see the end of things and in this way, I was kept safe from many dangers. I always used to think about the consequences of all my actions.

But the best part about all this was that it resulted in an awareness of something else. It was knowledge in my heart somewhere that told me that one day I would have to give an account for all my actions. This was how I became aware of that thing called accountability. In my mind’s eye, through my foresight, I was able to see ahead and know that I would one day be standing before God for every single thing that I said and did! It’s really strange but I had no doubt at all regarding this Day of Accountability.

This was how belief in God took root in my heart. It was a very strong and powerful feeling and it came with a thorough conviction. If making choices and responsibility for one’s actions was real then accountability also had to be real. Accountability to who? Obviously, accountability to the One who gave me the problem of choice! To the One who made me responsible for my actions, to the One who created me! The Unseen God!

There were of course lots of other questions in my mind. I wondered what was the purpose of life and why all human beings had to die. By this time it was clear to me that my parents were wrong about a lot of things. My opinion about them began to change when I realized they didn’t have answers to all questions. I quickly discovered that I would have to find out the answers on my own.

The learning process that led me to Islam was gradual. I had close friends who were Muslims. It was from them that I first learned about Islam. And far from opposing their belief in one God, I readily accepted it to be true. That was really weird now that I think about it. No arguing, no debating, no discussing, no opposing. I just accepted it.

Soon my parents found out that I believed in God. Their reaction was: “Get out of this house! There is no place in here for anyone who believes in God!”

Yes, they were furious. They couldn’t understand how I suddenly had begun to believe in the existence of God. I knew how they felt about it, so I kept my belief to myself. Belief in God was enough for me at the time. I didn’t feel the necessity to become a Muslim even though I had learned some very good things about Islam from my Muslim friends. The first pages of a book I read called “Let us Be Muslims” completely turned me off. I didn’t fancy the idea of becoming a servant of God. “Isn’t what I want important?” I had thought to myself indignantly. “How could I give up my freedom and become a servant, doing only things that God wanted me to do?”

So I lost interest in Islam and entertained the weird idea that it didn’t matter what religion you ascribed to as long as you were good. One had just to follow one’s conscience. What was the need for a religion?

With such a mind set I continued my studies and eventually got a job in a college. I was paid good money and I worked for only about a year before I decided to quit. I wasn’t happy leading a single life. My parents did not believe in the institution of marriage and so I knew that they were not going to find an eligible groom for me. I would have to find one myself or else die an old maid.

Now the big question that arose in my mind was, what kind of man should I choose? Surely he had to be a man who believed in one God like I did. I also thought to myself that he ought to be a man who feared God as well because only such a man would remain faithful to me. So I figured I wouldn’t mind marrying a Muslim, a Christian or a Baha’i.

I remember going up to the terrace one night looking at the starry sky and saying to myself. “He’s out there somewhere. God knows where he is and what he is doing right now.”

The man in question was out there alright. He lived thousands of miles away, on the other side of the globe, in America. And he was a Christian and a very devout, die-hard Christian.

Part 2: The Light of Islam!

How we met and got married was nothing short of a miracle. It deserves a separate story-telling session of its own which will no doubt amaze any listener. I won’t get into all the details. I suppose it’s enough to mention I spent some time talking to my would-be husband and I saw honesty and a real fear of God in his eyes. This was what I had been looking for and soon I found myself saying yes to his proposal of marriage.

I had to wait a year and half before I got my visa to go to the US. During the wait, I sometimes went through periods of frustration and sadness that came over me due to the separation from my husband. I used to keep a copy of the Bible and go through recommended passages to comfort my heart. But I was not satisfied with just the Bible. I also went to an Islamic center to get a free copy of the Qur’an. The funny thing is that at the Islamic center there was a little shop that sold head scarves. I was very attracted to them not because I was thinking I would look pretty wearing them but because I understood their purpose: they provided safety to the woman. And I had always liked the idea of covering up. So I bought a printed black head scarf and brought it home and tried putting it on. Needless to say, my family members were annoyed and disgusted to see me parading around in the house, wearing the scarf around my head. I put it away so as not to arouse their displeasure and cause friction within the household. I didn’t insist on wearing it again.

Waiting for my visa turned out to be a good thing for me. I got the opportunity to read the Bible and the Qur’an quite regularly. I found many similarities between both the books. Both spoke about one God and contained within their pages great jewels of wisdom that I found utter delight in.

So when I went to America to join my husband, I had in my suitcase both the Bible and the Qur’an. However, during the first few months of my stay in America, I wasn’t too keen to read the Qur’an for I had to show my loyalty and support to my deeply religious Christian husband. He was a member of a Judeo-Christian denomination called the Worldwide Church of God. He read the Bible so much and so frequently that the pages were frayed and worn out. He took his Bible with him everywhere! He used to observe the Sabbath and attended the Seventh Day Adventist Church. I went to church with him several times. I met many nice people at church. I even made some very good friends. I was particularly attached to an elderly couple. I was pretty happy with the way things were going....... until I went to California to visit my in-laws.

That visit to California was the turning point in my life. There I got an opportunity to see Christianity from real close quarters. Until then I really didn’t know much about Christianity. All I knew was they worshipped one God, that they believed Jesus was the son of God and that there were two groups among them (according to what I had read in history books): The Roman Catholics and The Protestants. I personally didn’t believe Jesus was son of God. If Christians believed it, so what? I didn’t care what they believed as long as they believed in one God. I had the similar attitude towards the Hindus. I personally detested the worship of idols and never believed in them. But if the Hindus wanted to worship them, so what? At least they believed in the existence of God and they believed in the principle of karma.

I was a believer in the existence of God and my attitude was all people who believed in God were believers, whether they were Muslims, Christians, Hindus, Sikhs or Jews. I kept peace with all religions in this way. But all that changed dramatically when I went to California.

So what happened there you ask? Well, it was when I was travelling in the metro train, on my way to Los Angeles, that some men entered the train and passed slips of paper to the passengers. I looked at the piece of paper in my hand and read it with utter disbelief. This was what it said:

WHAT MUST I DO TO BE SAVED?
The answer to this question is, absolutely nothing!
The only requirement is to believe what God has said in His word, and He says, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved”.
Only believe? Yes, that’s all! Believe means to trust completely in what God has said concerning salvation.
What do we have to believe?
That Christ died for our sins, and that He was buried, and
that He rose again the third day.
Christ died to give us eternal life. If you desire to have eternal life make the following prayer:
Heavenly Father, I know that I am a sinner and that I have a need to be forgiven. I now receive Christ Jesus as my Lord and Savior.
Thank You for having forgiven my sins. In Jesus name. Amen.
John 1:12 But as many as received Him, (Jesus) to them gave He (God) power (authority) to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name.

Do absolutely nothing to obtain salvation?!! Jesus died for our sins?!

I wonder if you could understand the state of my heart at the time of reading that slip of paper. It was like I was in the middle of a violent whirlwind. I felt as though my world was struck by thunder and lightning. To be sure, a great tempest had risen in my heart. I felt the fire of hatred and loathing swell up inside of me. My mind was burning with anger, denial and extreme disgust. My heart was screaming out loud that the content of that slip of paper simply could not be true! It was so evidently false that I was surprised that anyone actually believed in it!

My mind was in a state of great turmoil and shock. How could anyone believe that Jesus Christ died for his sins? How could anyone accept such an idea?!

This little piece of paper prompted me to embark on a speedy journey of investigation regarding Christianity. I took hold of the Bible and tried to find within its pages any proof that supported the claim that Jesus had died for our sins. The Bible was silent on this matter. Jesus had never said anything to even hint that he had come to die for our sins! That meant only one thing. That this entire story of Jesus dying for our sins had been made up!

There was no stopping me now. I found out that there weren’t just two groups within Christianity. There were hundreds of them! Why, I wondered, were there so many denominations when the book they read and believed in was one?! Each denomination believed in strange things. The most preposterous was the idea that Jesus was God. There was also the concept of trinity that didn’t make any sense to me whatsoever.

I was amazed that people could believe such things about Jesus and God, especially when there was nothing in the Bible to support such beliefs. Jesus never claimed to be God, had never claimed that he would die for our sins and he had never mentioned anything called the trinity.

All those claims made no sense to me and I wasn’t one to accept things that made no sense.

First, the saying that Jesus was God. And the second, that he had died for our sins!

There was a clear cut argument in my mind that told me flat out what lies they all were!

The argument went as follows: God wouldn’t be God if He died. All men are destined to die. Therefore no man can be God, even if he were to claim he was one.

So if Jesus died for our sins, it’s the same as saying God died for our sins. How does that sound? Does it make even one iota of sense?! If God really did die, and He is one God, mind you, then how did this world continue to operate? After death, where did God go?

There was no way that I was going to accept such nonsensical beliefs regarding God. Then I began to wonder, did my husband too entertain such beliefs? Did the friends that I had made in the Seventh Day Adventist Church too believe this crap?

I went ahead and asked them if it was true they believed that Jesus was God and that he had died for their sins. It wasn’t something they openly declared, but they admitted that this was indeed what they believed. This was the e-mail they had sent me in response to my questions:

“No evil or sin can stand before a Perfect God. Even what to us is just the tiniest of wrong is totally intolerable to His perfection. All it takes is one sinful act. Look at Adam and Eve. They committed only one act, and a very small one at that, but that act allowed sin to enter this world. They knew that the consequences of that one act was death, but God made a promise to them that there was a way they could be redeemed from those consequences. It is that promise that the prophets wrote about. It is that promise and its fulfilment that is the underlining theme throughout the rest of the Bible. The message is that not only were the Jewish leaders who crucified Christ evil, but so were David, Lot and the others. That also includes you and me. Even the smallest evil makes us deserving of death. Just as there was nothing Adam and Eve could to do undo what they had done, there is nothing we can do to undo the evil we have done. But the same promise God made to Adam and Eve He makes to us. He only asks us to accept that promise.”

How could anyone believe in such a theory!? But that is precisely what my good Christian “friends” believed. According to them, all evil, all sin is the same in the eyes of God. So the penalty for a man who steals a loaf of bread is the same as the penalty for a man who goes out and murders ten people! What kind of justice is that?! I’m thankful the law and order system in America does not treat all crime with the death penalty! Is justice here on earth better than God’s justice?

And what utter rubbish to even think that we are all deserving of death for the small sins that we commit and that we can be saved simply by believing that God died for our sins!!

Whether we believe or we don’t believe, it still doesn’t save us from death, does it?!

If we commit a sin, it is not because of Adam and Eve! We commit a sin when we choose to do wrong or evil of our own free will. We alone are responsible for our actions. For the mistake I make, nobody else can be held accountable. That would simply not be justice! Therefore, even if somebody were to come up to me and say he or she was willing to take the burden of my sin, I would not agree to it! Since it is I who committed the sin, it is I alone who must face the consequences of that act! It just does not make sense that we should consciously make mistakes and commit sins and all kinds of crimes and put the whole burden on somebody who is totally innocent. There is no law and order system in this world where Tom commits a murder and instead of Tom, Dick is hanged for it!! If such a thing were to be done, this whole world would be upside down!

My heart was screaming in anger that I would never ever accept such an outrageous belief that someone died for my sins. If this was what Christianity taught, I wanted to have absolutely no part in it! I would reject it outright.

I was then quick to reach for the Qur’an to find out what it had to say about Jesus. What I read satisfied me. According to the Qur’an, Jesus was a servant and messenger of God. Not son of God or God.

I didn’t have to read much to realize that the Qur’an confirmed everything I used to believe as true within my heart. It confirmed my belief that God was One, that He was the Creator possessing all power and might and that He was the One before whom I would stand one day to give a full account of my actions. I saw the entire Qur’an as nothing but a book that helped me prepare for the Day of Accountability, the fearsome Day which I had never for a moment doubted. Everything in the Qur’an made perfect sense! There was not a single thing in the Qur’an that brought low or defiled the concept of the One true God. Everything in it exalted the nature of God, giving a clear cut, undeniable explication of what He truly is like, the One to whom belong the most beautiful names, the One who was Perfect, free from impurities, the One who made no mistakes!

The light of faith had now entered my heart, dispelling all darkness and I could now clearly see where I stood. I saw that I could no longer accept the Christian way of life. I could no longer accept anything but Islam, the religion of the Qur’an.

….................to be continued.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ghazalah
03-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Flame! Finish it now! You can't just end it like that! <_<

I love it btw :wub: You sound like an professional author :p MashAllah! Aww.. :D

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-27-2011, 09:41 PM
That was amazing!

Jazakallaahu Khaair for sharing it with us sis.

Will be looking forward to the next post insha'Allaah

.. peace ..

Sawdah
03-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Wa 'alaykumusalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh sister Flame :)

format_quote Originally Posted by
The light of faith had now entered my heart, dispelling all darkness and I could now clearly see where I stood. I saw that I could no longer accept the Christian way of life. I could no longer accept anything but Islam, the religion of the Qur’an.

….................to be continued.
SubhanAllah, this is such an amazing story, I can't wait to read the rest! :D

JazakiAllah Khair for sharing your story with us sis. ^^

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Flame of Hope
03-28-2011, 01:21 AM
La ilaha il Allah, Muhammaddar Rasul Allah!

Well, I think I've pretty much covered how I became a Muslim. So I've fulfilled my obligation by narrating how it happened. But I guess, you all wanna know what happened after faith had pierced my heart....and how my husband reacted.

But that's another story....which I shall tell you another day. ;D

Just kidding. I can't afford to upset my brothers and sisters and leave them in suspense. So I'll do my best to post Part 3. The part that's probably the most emotional with a lotta surprises and things that will astound all as to the greatness and power of Allah! Inshallah, today will be the day I post it. At least it's my intention to.

Al-Mufarridun
03-28-2011, 01:37 AM
looking forward to it. :D

MustafaMc
03-28-2011, 01:45 AM
This is a very interesting story, better than any movie :popcorn:
We are all sitting on the edge of our seat waiting for what comes next :?

Abdul-Raouf
03-28-2011, 03:26 AM
ALHAMDULILLAH...ALLAHU AKBAR..
That was the longest read in IB for me...in recent time.

No matter how long it goes. i will read it cos...the end is gonna be islam - the best.

It was simple english....thanks... It was very Indian(right?).
The West people often.. put in their proficiency and make it complex.

------------------------------
Just curious to know the below...
Indian..? from WB, TN, KL ?? Cos theres where Atheist are more in numbers i believe.

World Peace
03-28-2011, 04:41 AM
salamo aleacom warahmato Allah wabarakato sister Flame

Masha Allah :smile: mabrook for reverting to Islam. Alhamdo lillah, Your story is wonderful. Subhan Allah, Allah guided you with your intellect, the very thing that your parents used to deny him. Looking forward to reading part 3.

I would like to share with you the following links, I hope you find them useful sister. Welcome to Islam :smile:

Discover the Truth about Islam
theradiantlight.blogspot.com

Islamic Religion
islamreligion.com

Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him)
rasoulallah.net

Islamic Invitation
islamic-invitation.com/index.php

Flame of Hope
03-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Part 3. Love, Gratitude, Guidance

Love is a powerful thing between husband and wife. I loved my husband very much. He loved me in return and we couldn’t live without each other. It had been a hard wait when I had been separated from my husband as I had waited for my visa to go to the US but the letters we used to write to each other made the pain of separation bearable. It was a delight to hear the footsteps of the postman as he arrived at the gate to announce that I had mail. I would see the American postage stamp on the envelope along with the familiar handwriting and smile. Those letters came frequently and consistently and were ample proof to everyone that our relationship was true and sincere. It was because of my love for my husband that I went all the way to America to live with him, leaving my family behind, to a place where I had no relatives. Such is the power of love. It makes life worth living.

But after my trip to California, things between I and my husband could no longer be the same. I wondered if my husband believed that Jesus was God or that Jesus died for our sins. If he did believe such things, I was determined to talk him out of it, to make him see that these things were untrue and that they did not make any sense. I couldn’t bear the thought of my husband believing in that kind of nonsense. I wondered if he knew anything about Islam. And I wondered what would be the best way to approach him and invite him to Islam. It’s strange that my faith in Islam at that time was strong enough for me to entertain such thoughts!

Anyway, I waited for the right moment. When I saw that he looked relaxed I casually threw him a question. “Do you know anything about Prophet Muhammad?”

I distinctly remember that a frown appeared on his forehead when I asked him this. “Why are you asking me that?” he wanted to know.

I then began to talk about Islam. My husband listened for a while but it soon became clear to me that he wasn’t interested in discussing it. He changed the subject.

But I am a stubborn little thing. I wasn’t going to give up so easily. In the days that ensued, I engaged in many heated arguments with my husband. First I wanted to know what his beliefs were and even more than that I wanted to know if he believed Jesus was God or that he had died for his sins. My husband’s way of answering was to avoid answering the questions. This merely made me more incensed. He never gave me straightforward answers. And in the end he would always say, “You will find all the answers in the Bible. Read it and you’ll know the truth.”

The truth!! I yelled at him that I had already read the Bible and that I had found no evidence in there that supported those absurd claims that Jesus was God or that he died for our sins.

On a side note....I’m rather hot-tempered. My husband isn’t, thankfully. Alhamdulillahir Rabbil al ameen! If both of us were hot-tempered, our apartment would have been in flames and burnt to the ground! ;D

Once while we were in the car driving around town, I asked my husband which church was the best church to join. I said, “There were so many denominations within Christianity it was hard to decide.”

My husband’s reply? “You can pick any that takes your fancy.”

“Oh, so it was just a matter of picking what you liked?! As though religion was an item that you went shopping for? Pick the one you like and ignore the one you don’t?”

I was sooooooo frustrated.

We argued almost everyday about religion. My husband held even more closely to the Bible, telling me that he could not deny Christ. He didn’t take me seriously at all. He told me I could believe whatever I wanted. He had no objection if I wanted to embrace Islam.

So he continued reading his Bible. And I continued reading the Qur’an. This went on for a few days until a day came when both of us visited the library. I wouldn’t be wrong if I told you that it was a day that changed my husband’s life forever.

I went to a computer to get online and immediately started doing my research on Islam while my husband went off to find a table and do his usual reading of Christian books. I wanted to find out information on how to become a Muslim. I found the information I was looking for. All I had to do was declare the shahadah. However, there was more information on the subject. My eyes fell upon the part where it spoke of inter-religious marriages. I discovered that if I were to embrace Islam by saying the Shahadah, my marriage to my husband would be automatically dissolved. A Muslim woman was not permitted to marry a non-Muslim.

The moment I read that, tears welled up in my eyes. It had taken me only a few seconds to decide what I was going to do. Inside, I felt as though my heart was broken, in pieces. But my decision was unshakable and firm.

I got off the stool and went to find my husband. He was sitting on a chair with books on the table, reading. He saw me and the look in my eyes. He knew I was ready to go home.

It was evening and already dark as we walked to our car. I had not said a single word. But there were profuse tears flowing down my cheeks. My husband knew something was wrong. Instead of driving me home, he took me to a park.

I remember it was kind of chilly and there were stars in the sky. We sat on a bench and my husband turned to me asking me what was wrong.

“I have made a decision,” I said through my tears. “I’ve decided to leave you. I’m going to embrace Islam.”

And I told him about what I had found on the internet....that a Muslim woman can’t be married to a non-Muslim.

I told him that I wished him well in life and that he could follow his religion the way he wanted to. I had no objection if he wanted to remain Christian. But I couldn’t live with him anymore. My decision to embrace Islam was final and I was not going to allow anything or anyone to stand in the way. I didn’t know where I was going to go and what I was going to do after leaving him. All I knew was that I had to do the bidding of my heart. My love for truth was greater than the love I had for my husband.

My husband knew from the tone of my voice that I meant every word I said. Until that day, he hadn’t taken me seriously at all. But now, he realized that the threat of losing me was very real. It shook him.

He then made a request to me. He asked me to give him time to learn a little bit more about this strange religion that I had become so fascinated with. I agreed.

After that day, there was a distinct change in my husband. He had begun to read the Qur’an. He also investigated his wife’s peculiar claim that her marriage to him would be annulled if she accepted Islam. He found out that this was very much true. So he increased his study of Islam until finally one day when we were supposed to be heading to a beach or park for a picnic, he suddenly turned the car around and started driving along a different route. “Where are you going?” I asked him in surprise. “To the nearest Islamic center,” he replied. I was overjoyed.

My husband later told me after our visit to the Islamic center that he felt a lot of peace meeting the brothers there. It turned out to be an experience that softened his heart toward Islam. It wasn’t long afterwards that he informed me that he was ready to embrace Islam along with me.

Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen! So the day dawned when both of us accepted Islam to the cries of takbir in the air. For me, it wasn’t as though I was new to the religion at all. I felt as though I had always been a Muslim. As for my husband, Islam was very new and strange. There were still many things he didn’t understand. He embraced Islam probably because he didn’t want to lose me. He did read the Qur’an sometimes, but he read his Bible more. I didn’t care what he did. I was happy that I didn’t have to leave my husband, and was confident that Allah would guide him eventually.

My husband was in the Navy, and he had to go out to sea for 6 months. During this time, he got the opportunity to read the Qur’an from the first page to the last. He e-mailed me one day, and told me that he had been doing nothing but reading the Qur’an. He simply could not put it down! Finally, he told me that he was convinced it was the Word of God. He was now overcome with a great desire to make a declaration of his faith. When his ship reached Australia, he immediately went to the nearest masjid and told the brothers there that he wanted to say the Shahadah. The brothers told him he had already said the Shahadah with me, so he had no need to do it again. My husband then explained to them that at that time, he had no understanding. He did it for me. This time, he wanted to do it for himself. I shed tears of joy when he wrote to me and told me he said the Shahadah there in that masjid in Australia.

Of all the billions of people in this world, we are indeed thankful and utterly grateful that Allah chose to guide us to the Truth. It is the greatest honor anyone can have.

However, while it's true that our quest for truth had gotten us to the Light of Islam, I realized soon after embracing it, that my journey wasn't at all over. It had only just begun.

Great trials and hardships were to come our way. But that's another story. :p

Alhamdulillahir Rabbil al ameen!

-------------------------

seeker1287
03-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Thank you for that - like everyone else here, I was really anxious to read Part 3! Amazing story and I am so happy to hear that you and your husband are both happy reverts!!!! :statisfie

Abdul-Raouf
03-28-2011, 11:21 AM
As expected.. Islam won...and it will win more hearts of the guided. Alhamdulillah

Reflections
03-28-2011, 11:40 AM
I loved every word of it! Allahu Akbar!Alhumdulilah 3ala ni3matil Islam..JazakaAllahukheir for sharing ukhti.

Danah
03-28-2011, 11:44 AM
*sigh* seriously, one of the best stories I have ever read before.

What a great story!!!! JazakiAllah khair for sharing this with us sis :)

I have been waiting you to finish your story impatiently! it really worth waiting!

May Allah keep you, your husband and all of us steadfast on the right path.

This is just reminded me of a story one of my friends told me about. It was about a women who wanted to embrace Islam so hardly and was crying to another Muslim sister telling her that she loves her husband and she don't want to lose him yet she can't lose her faith....and while she was in that state of crying she received a fax from her husband (who was living in another country) all of a sudden telling her that he became a Muslim.....SubhanAllah

moonseo
03-28-2011, 11:49 AM
SubhanAllah, this is such an amazing story, I can't wait to read the rest! :D

JazakiAllah Khair for sharing your story with us sis.

we will Teaching Quran online any buddy wana learn quran online please contact us liveislamicschool.com/

MustafaMc
03-28-2011, 12:37 PM
This story left me utterly speechless. May Allah (swt) reward you and your husband with the highest place in Paradise. Ameen.

Abdul-Raouf
03-28-2011, 12:45 PM
^^ Ameen

ALLAHU AKBAR!

'Abd-al Latif
03-28-2011, 01:17 PM
:salamext:

Now that you've accepted Islam stay firm in it and do not waver in your faith. Whatever trials befall you will only bring good; so long as you stay firm in faith.

Allah says in the Qur'an:

يَا يَحْيَىٰ خُذِ الْكِتَابَ بِقُوَّةٍ

...take hold of the Book with strength... [19:12]

Amat Allah
03-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Assalaamu Alikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh

nothing to say but Allahu Akbar through the tears of happiness I am shedding ; it is an overwhelming feeling which made me speechless and not able to stop my tears...

May Allah never prevent you and your husband from seeing His Al Mighty Face in the highest level of the Paradise which I am begging Allah to make you both and all my Ummah enter it without being reckoning Ameeeeeeeeeeen

Humbly, your sister who loves you deeply and unconditionaly for the sake of The Only true Lord we have Allah:

Amat Allah.

syilla
03-28-2011, 02:14 PM
MashaAllah i'm crying

Allahuakbar May Allah blessed you and your hubby every seconds always :)

Samiro
03-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Great story! :)

Ghazalah
03-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Flame that was beautiful. :wub:

Allahu Akbar. May Allah open more hearts to this beautiful religion. Ameen.

Hannah.
03-28-2011, 04:42 PM
This is the first time I've ever read a long post here on IB.. nearly brought me into tears. Such a beautiful story masha'Allah! May Allah (swt) bless you both <3

I wanted to give you reps Flame, but its not letting me because apparently I've given you reps last time as well :P So in that case, *virtual hug*

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Assalaamu Alaaykum

That story was amazing! Masha'Allaah, almost put me into tears.

May Allaah keep yourself and your husband steadfast upon his deen and grant you both happiness in this life and the akhirah Ameen

Jazakallaahu Khaair.

Flame of Hope
03-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen! Indeed, all praises are for Allah, the Most High. This story of mine is written by Him. It was written in the Divine Book of Decree. And it had to happen exactly the way Allah meant it to. It was He who created me. He who guided me. He who kept me steadfast on the Path. He who protected me, sustained me and kept me safe from harm. Never could I repay Allah for all that He has given me. I consider myself the richest person on earth to have Allah as my lord, Islam as my religion and Muhammad (saws) as my prophet.

I've edited the last part of my story to add in some details.

Glad that my long long story didn't bore you. Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen! And if you were able to read my story, there's a certain sister you'd have to thank. She requested me to share the story of my reversion, saying that she found the threads that I had started to be rather inspiring. I really didn't wanna write my story, but I couldn't turn down the request of a believing sister. I just couldn't.

Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen! So now that I've fulfilled my promise to you, sister, I guess I can disappear and vanish into thin air. :hiding:

Just kidding. :D

Sawdah
03-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Alhamdulillahi Rabbi'l 'Alameen!! WAllahi, sister your story was so beautiful! Alhamdulillah :statisfie

JazakiAllah Khair again for sharing your story with us and may Allah SWT bless you and your family and admit you all into Jannah al Firdaws. Ameen :)

Revert 2010
03-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Salaam sis, I'm inspired it's an amazing story where patience and persistence are rewarded hamdullah. After just reading part 3 it's amazing that if It's Allah wills it and a person has complete faith in Allah then things will transpire even if it seems that there is no hope. Allah Akbar

Faatin
03-28-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm so glad I read this. I wasn't going to read this because it looked so long lol.. But Alhamdulillah I did!Reading it made me realize that I don't appreciate my religion as much as I should, and that I take it for granted. Thanks for this inspirational post sis =]. Hope to read more of your stories inshAllah.

tigerkhan
03-29-2011, 05:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by
Glad that my long long story didn't bore you. Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen! And if you were able to read my story, there's a certain sister you'd have to thank. She requested me to share the story of my reversion, saying that she found the threads that I had started to be rather inspiring. I really didn't wanna write my story, but I couldn't turn down the request of a believing sister. I just couldn't.
Sister i remember ur first post in introduction forum and i request u to share ur revert story and u said i will......i was waiting till then and u forgot.lol. anyway u know y i was interested, i was thinking b4 islam u was .... (i forgot name but ppl who worship Fire) so i was thinking ur story will be interesting.
anyway about ur story wallah i am speechless. its soo nice and soo touching. if i can rate this i give u 100/100. my deep heartily prayers are always with u and ur family, and plz also pray for me.
JazakAllah

Abdul-Raouf
03-29-2011, 06:14 AM
So sister...
What was the reaction of his parents? and how did your parents react on hearing his decision?
Insha'allah..hope they too revert to Islam soon... and Insha'allah and hope you continue a story on them reverting to Islam ..as well:) Yes Im Optimistic...that ALLAH can make us read that as well.

And...
Whats your Islamic name and your hubby's Islamic name....any plan to change ? decided about it ?

Flame of Hope
03-29-2011, 06:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tigerkhan
Sister i remember ur first post in introduction forum and i request u to share ur revert story and u said i will......i was waiting till then and u forgot.lol. anyway u know y i was interested, i was thinking b4 islam u was .... (i forgot name but ppl who worship Fire) so i was thinking ur story will be interesting.
Yes, you're right, brother. lol. The pressure was on since that time and I did say I would post the story. I did intend to post it...but I hadn't said WHEN. lol. :D

So I kept procrastinating it. Later, later, later, I would tell myself. As you can see, the story is pretty long, with so many things and events that I had to describe. Just knowing how long my story was made me feel tired. So I just kept putting it off. Then one fine day, I received a PM from a sister. She requested me to share my story and she provided me with a link where I could post it. As usual, I replied back to her that I would post my story soon. In my mind, the word "soon" meant probably in a month's time, maybe two month's time. ;D

A few days passed and I still had made no attempt to post my story. I felt guilty and went to the Stories of Muslim Reverts page and declared that I would be posting my story "soon". lol. This was just to give the sister the hint that I hadn't forgotten her request.

Needless to say, everyone said they were WAITING to hear my story. In their view, the word "soon" meant.....in a few hours, maximum one day. lol.

Now the pressure was too great and I couldn't afford to keep anyone waiting. So that's how I ended up writing my reversion story. I did it, but couldn't have done it without your encouragement and support. So most of the credit goes to you guys. lol. :D

And of course things happen only by the will of Allah. So I thank Allah much for giving me the ability to finish writing my story.

Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen!

Flame of Hope
03-29-2011, 06:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
So sister...
What was the reaction of his parents? and how did your parents react on hearing his decision?
Insha'allah..hope they too revert to Islam soon... and Insha'allah and hope you continue a story on them reverting to Islam ..as well Yes Im Optimistic...that ALLAH can make us read that as well.

And...
Whats your Islamic name and your hubby's Islamic name....any plan to change ? decided about it ?

There's too much that happened after my reversion to Islam. I would really have to write another story to tell you all about it.

Maybe I'll post Part 4 "soon". :statisfie

But to tell you in brief, the parents of my husband took his reversion to Islam much better than my parents. Of all religions, my parents hate the religion of Islam the most.

Yes, I and my husband do have Islamic names. Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen!

Flame of Hope
03-30-2011, 08:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
Insha'allah..hope they too revert to Islam soon... and Insha'allah and hope you continue a story on them reverting to Islam ..as well Yes Im Optimistic...that ALLAH can make us read that as well.
Alhamdulillah! It's also my hope that my family members will revert to Islam. My younger brother has accepted Islam so I and he are the only two members in our family who are Muslims. Maybe I did have something to do with his reversion. Alhamdulillah! It seems that it was a question I had asked him that had got him thinking. :D

Ansariyah
03-30-2011, 09:20 PM
MashaAllah sista, ur story was so beautiful May Allah continue to bless n guide u ameeen=)

Little_Lion
03-31-2011, 12:53 AM
Wonderful story, sis! (Though I do feel like scum that you started a new thread when I still haven't finished mine to post . . . . :lol: )

Insha'Allah my story will someday have the same happy ending that yours does in regard to yourself and your husband . . . I consider myself very lucky with Allah's grace that my husband not only still wants to learn more, but actively seeks out discussion on Islam. It's a step in the right direction, at least. :)

tw009
04-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Ya Allah! I finally got a chance to finish reading you story and it touched me to the core! Its amazing how Allah plans, indeed He is the best of planners. May He keep you and your husband on the straight path and give you all the happiness in the world. Ameen.

JazakAllah once again to take your time out and share with us your beautiful story.

Flame of Hope
04-05-2011, 05:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tw009
Ya Allah! I finally got a chance to finish reading you story and it touched me to the core! Its amazing how Allah plans, indeed He is the best of planners.
Yes, indeed! Allah is the best of planners. Would you believe it but Allah saved me from the sure clutches of death when I was a little girl aged 7. I had gone exploring my neighborhood with a friend and we had wandered to a construction place. There was a tank of water made of cement. We sat on the edge of that tank. I began splashing my feet in the water but then I saw some frogs. I got a bit scared of them. I don't know what happened but my feet slipped and I fell into that tank!

There was nobody around to save me, since it was a deserted place. My friend couldn't do anything and I don't blame her considering she was the same age as I was. I felt myself drowning. I couldn't breathe and I was sinking. I struggled frantically when I thought about the frogs. I desperately wanted to get out. But I knew not how to swim!

I won't tell you what happened next but the fact that I am alive and well today should give you an indication that Allah saved me. If someone hadn't come to rescue me at that precise minute when I was drowning, I would have been dead.

As I look back and think about that incident, I always feel that it's a miracle that I'm alive.

Sorry for the suspense. lol. I'll tell you how I got saved. My friend's aunt had launched a search party for her little girl. Well, she found her little girl but she also found me.

What astounds me is her precise timing. Subhanallah!

If not for her precise timing, there would have been no Flame.

And there wouldn't be anyone to ask all these annoying questions, bugging the life out of everyone. lol. ;D

But Allah is the best of planners.

Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen!

World Peace
04-08-2011, 07:55 AM
salamo aleacom warahmato Allah wabarakato sister Flame

Masha Allah. Thank you for sharing your story. I read part 3, and would like to congratulate you again, and your husband and brother for reverting. :smile: Alhamdo lillah. May Allah guide your parents, and may he bless you and your family, and grant you jannat al Firdaws.

wasalamo aleacom warahmato Allah wabarakato

SAKER
05-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Wow ...very interesting history ...

God bless you

al yunan
05-03-2011, 01:43 AM
Assalamu alaikum sister Flame,
I'm not ashamed to say that your story made me cry and reminded me of Allah S.W.T's greatness Allahu Akbar !
May Allah S.W.T grant you and yours His blessings. Amin
Masalam

جوري
05-03-2011, 02:27 AM
flame.. Jazaki Allah khyran for sharing.. I cried reading through your story.. sob7an Allah.. may Allah swt accompany you and make you steadfast ameen..

missy
05-19-2011, 02:43 PM
:sl:
@Sista Flame:
I don't visit IB that often….so I didn't know that you are a revert…till I followed the link from another thread!!
Your story is beautiful MashaAllah!!...love it <3
May Allah SWT accept all your deeds and reward you...
and May Allah SWT keep you and your husband steadfast and Bless you both in this world and the Hereafter. Ameen...

JazakAllah Khair for sharing!!

Haya emaan
05-20-2011, 03:02 PM
assalam o alaikum

sister flame i went through your story yesterday.. SUBHANALLAH...!! your story was so beautiful.. indeed it is Allah who open ones heart for accepting the truth...
may Allah reward you for all that you have gone through and grants you with lots of happiness and love here and here after...

Amanda
05-20-2011, 05:36 PM
What a heartwarming story... It's wonderful that everything worked out so well for you!

Flame of Hope
05-20-2011, 10:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
flame.. Jazaki Allah khyran for sharing.. I cried reading through your story.. sob7an Allah.. may Allah swt accompany you and make you steadfast ameen..
format_quote Originally Posted by peacelover
@Sista Flame:
I don't visit IB that often….so I didn't know that you are a revert…till I followed the link from another thread!!
Your story is beautiful MashaAllah!!...love it <3
May Allah SWT accept all your deeds and reward you...
and May Allah SWT keep you and your husband steadfast and Bless you both in this world and the Hereafter. Ameen...

JazakAllah Khair for sharing!
format_quote Originally Posted by muslima haya
assalam o alaikum

sister flame i went through your story yesterday.. SUBHANALLAH...!! your story was so beautiful.. indeed it is Allah who open ones heart for accepting the truth...
may Allah reward you for all that you have gone through and grants you with lots of happiness and love here and here after...
format_quote Originally Posted by Amanda
What a heartwarming story... It's wonderful that everything worked out so well for you!
:wasalamex

Many apologies for not responding to you sisters. :-[

All praises belong to Allah for guiding me to Islam. I only pray that He keeps my feet firm upon the Path.

Jazakallah khair for your support, encouragement, felicitations and welcoming me so warmly into the the brotherhood of Islam. You are all like my family members. :statisfie

I also have to congratulate you on your uncommon strength and resolve in reading my story.....which I'm afraid is so very long. The very glimpse of it's length is enough for anyone to click the <---- back button on the browser. lol.

Jazakallah khair for having the PATIENCE to read the entire story. :)

AmineH
05-21-2011, 07:55 AM
wow !
It was so amazing and interesting.

May Ayob
05-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Beautiful story

I wish is was a revert myself at least i think i would be more sincere , you guys are lucky!

I know this might be out of my business but sister flame if you don't mind would you please share how you and husband got married only if you are comfortable i'd like to listen to the mircale of your marriage

Salaam

Muhammad
05-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

I began reading this and got hooked till the end! Masha'Allaah a very beautiful and touching story, well-written too. May Allaah (swt) protect you both and keep you steadfast, and fill your lives with goodness and mercy, Aameen!

Re.TiReD
05-22-2011, 09:37 PM
I often read the latest threads on the forum but rarely do I respond to them, I'll make an exception here though , your story is absolutely amazing...Thumma ameen @ all the du'aas in the thread x

Flame of Hope
05-22-2011, 10:19 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
I know this might be out of my business but sister flame if you don't mind would you please share how you and husband got married only if you are comfortable i'd like to listen to the mircale of your marriage
My marriage to my husband is nothing short of a miracle.....if we are to consider that just 5 days after meeting him, we got married! I don't mind sharing with you my story.........because it's a story of Allah's greatness, power and wisdom.

So put on your seat-belts and get ready for a roller-coaster ride......as you read yet another story from Miss Flame once again. :)

Riana17
05-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Assalaamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa baraktuhu to all and Wa alaykumusalam wa rahmatullahi wa baraktuhu to you Dear Writer!

Your story is too long and i read all of them and end up crying, i absolutely loved it, may you be bless for sharing your story because it is an absolute inspiration for all including new converts like me.

I must congratulate you for being so strong (not everyone possess the strength to stand in the right decision!!!) This is absolutely one of the reasons, why Allah guided you to the right path.

I love love love love your story, indeed you made my day.
Masha Allah, nothing is better than being a TRUE BELIEVER.

Flame of Hope
05-23-2011, 06:23 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by andrea17
I love love love love your story, indeed you made my day.
Masha Allah, nothing is better than being a TRUE BELIEVER.
It is because you yourself have firm faith in your heart dear sister that you say this. Perhaps you could also share your story with us. :)

Who Am I?
05-25-2011, 03:11 AM
Nice story, and as you said, there are some similarities with my own struggles right now. I am glad to hear that everything worked out with you and you have peace. That is what I am looking for, peace in my own life. I am not happy right now and have not been for a long time.

Maybe one day I will find the peace that you have found. I am not yet sure that such peace lies in Islam, but I will keep looking, inshaAllah.

Flame of Hope
05-25-2011, 03:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy
Maybe one day I will find the peace that you have found. I am not yet sure that such peace lies in Islam, but I will keep looking, inshaAllah.
You are in my prayers, dear brother in humanity......

P.S. I like your username....Just a Guy.....it sounds....well....there's a touch of simplicity to it. I hope you'll keep the name and not join The Name Change Club....lol. :)

Who Am I?
05-25-2011, 03:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Flame

You are in my prayers, dear brother in humanity......

P.S. I like your username....Just a Guy.....it sounds....well....there's a touch of simplicity to it. I hope you'll keep the name and not join The Name Change Club....lol. :)

I appreciate that. I need all the help I can get right now at this time in my life.

Anyway, I struggled with the name for a bit before I decided on this one. It describes where I am right now. I am Just a Guy, trying to find his place in the world.

By the way, I was going to ask you, does your husband post here? I would like to get his perspective on things, if that is possible, since he used to be Christian and converted (or reverted) to Islam, and I am considering that (though there are a couple of issues with Islam as well that I am struggling with).

I hope I was not out of line in asking you that, and if I was, I apologize.

Riana17
05-25-2011, 04:38 AM
. By the way, I was going to ask you, does your husband post here? I would like to get his perspective on things, if that is possible, since he used to be Christian and converted (or reverted) to Islam, and I am considering that (though there are a couple of issues with Islam as well that I am struggling with).

Hi I was trying to think whats your connection with "just a girl" nah,, just kidding lol

anyhow you are free to ask us even Ms Flame's husband is not here, i am convinced this site is full of true believers.
SALAM and inshallah you will fully understand ISLAM and Allah will guide you & be a real MUSLIM

Riana17
05-25-2011, 04:54 AM
It is because you yourself have firm faith in your heart dear sister that you say this. Perhaps you could also share your story with us.
SALAM

Yes inshallah, its very long though, but like your story, mine might give inspiration to others (or someone perhaps? :p) as well.

I just hope I can catch some of your talent in writing :statisfie:statisfie:statisfie, well oh well, let us see :D.

Who Am I?
05-25-2011, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by andrea17
Hi I was trying to think whats your connection with "just a girl" nah,, just kidding lol

anyhow you are free to ask us even Ms Flame's husband is not here, i am convinced this site is full of true believers.
SALAM and inshallah you will fully understand ISLAM and Allah will guide you & be a real MUSLIM
Right now, there is no "Just a Girl". It's just me... a guy.

Well the reason I wanted to talk to Flame's husband is because he was a Christian first before he converted/reverted to Islam. I am a Christian who is considering converting/reverting to Islam, so I wanted to get the perspective of a Christian convert/revert. I want to see if he had the same issues I have with Christianity and Islam. Probably not because my issues seem trivial (well one of them is anyway), yet I am struggling with it a lot.

Flame of Hope
05-25-2011, 04:00 PM
By the way, I was going to ask you, does your husband post here? I would like to get his perspective on things, if that is possible, since he used to be Christian and converted (or reverted) to Islam, and I am considering that (though there are a couple of issues with Islam as well that I am struggling with).

I hope I was not out of line in asking you that, and if I was, I apologize.
Heyyyyy no apologies! Whatever your questions are, ask away. My husband will be more than happy to answer............

If there's anything else we can help you with, DO let us know! And by "us" I mean......you can feel free to share it with all of us here in this forum.......I'm SURE there are brothers here who were Christians before and then reverted to Islam.

There's brother MustafaMc......you could ask him too.

Actually you can read the story of his conversion here: Brother Mustafa's story

noorseeker
05-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Mashallah sister Flame , beautifully written

I love when you wrote the love for truth was more than the love of keeping your husband, because it shows sincerity.

I have one Question, i dont knw if anyone has pointed out , for weeks now i have noticed your profile says Sister in humanity , not sister in Islam.

So i was a bit confused as wheter you were Muslim

Flame of Hope
05-25-2011, 04:52 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by noorseeker
have one Question, i dont knw if anyone has pointed out , for weeks now i have noticed your profile says Sister in humanity , not sister in Islam.

So i was a bit confused as wheter you were Muslim
If you looked at my profile, it also says: Religion --------> Islam.

I suppose that makes me Muslim. lol.

I chose Sister in Humanity instead of Sister in Islam because I consider all people of this world......potential Muslims. That makes me Sister in Humanity. :p

Innocent Soul
05-25-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't mind sharing with you my story.........because it's a story of Allah's greatness, power and wisdom.
Then please share with us. I am waiting from such a long time.

Who Am I?
05-25-2011, 06:02 PM

Heyyyyy no apologies! Whatever your questions are, ask away. My husband will be more than happy to answer............

If there's anything else we can help you with, DO let us know! And by "us" I mean......you can feel free to share it with all of us here in this forum.......I'm SURE there are brothers here who were Christians before and then reverted to Islam.

There's brother MustafaMc......you could ask him too.

Actually you can read the story of his conversion here:
Right, I will read Mustafa's story now.

One of these days I will sit down and write down what my issues are with Christianity and Islam and pass them along. I am at work right now so I do not have time to do that yet. But I will soon.

Impey
05-26-2011, 10:18 AM
That was a well written and amazing story in post 1 flame but as it happens I found a site called -----------.com with a shorter but what looks like the very same story - is that your site, was that you?

Flame of Hope
05-26-2011, 04:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Impey
That was a well written and amazing story in post 1 flame but as it happens I found a site called -----------.com with a shorter but what looks like the very same story - is that your site, was that you?
How on earth did you find out?!!!!!!!! :nervous: :omg:

That was supposed to be Top-Secret Classified information. :hmm: :embarrass

Flame of Hope
05-26-2011, 04:14 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Safiya 1
Sorrrry sis for keeping you waiting. :embarrass

I will do my best to post the story today.......... :muslimah:

'Aleena
05-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Though the site's got just one post, I loved it:wub:

Simple and elegant.

Keep posting!

Flame of Hope
05-26-2011, 07:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Safiya 1
Okay, sis. I've got started. I have finished writing a few lines..... I'll probably have to edit once I'm done with the story..... it may take a day or two...or three...or four :embarrass before it's complete. But here's what I've got so far......

----------------------------

Allah The Best Match-Maker

Out there somewhere in the vastness of infinity is The Preserved Tablet (Lahw-i Mahfoos), strictly guarded on all sides by angels.

It is the Divine Book of Allah, the Book of Decree, where the entire story of mankind is written, from the beginning to the end, the contents of which Allah has full knowledge of.

In this Book is recorded the story of two people, a man and a woman, living in opposite sides of the world, thousands of miles from each other, destined to meet and marry....... all because they both had taken Allah as their match-maker.

This is their story........

----------------to be continued. :nervous:

Who Am I?
05-26-2011, 08:10 PM
That sounds a lot like the opening trailer for a cheesy romantic comedy, Flame.

Popcorn and drinks on standby... :D

Munda Pakistani
05-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Sister flame,
What a truly humbling story! Makes me wonder how I'm supposed to compete with the likes of you?

Aprender
05-27-2011, 01:50 AM
O my sister Flame.... :) I can only smile.

Impey
05-27-2011, 11:21 AM

How on earth did you find out?!!!!!!!! :nervous: :omg:

That was supposed to be Top-Secret Classified information. :hmm: :embarrass
One can find out just about anything if you persist. on another tack, are you happy to take questions on your story as there are two areas I don't quite understand or would you prefer to take them privately

Mr.President
05-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Assalamu alikum

I jst finished part 1 and 2 subahanalaaa gr8 story u've experienced a lot and again Peace be unto you and so may the mercy of Allah and His blessings

btw u debated @ the age of 9/10 man u r a brainy little girl masha allah u r gifted

Flame of Hope
05-27-2011, 08:10 PM
One can find out just about anything if you persist. on another tack, are you happy to take questions on your story as there are two areas I don't quite understand or would you prefer to take them privately
It's interesting to know about your persistence considering you are not Muslim. Something about my story must have caught your eye.... whatever it is, I'm happy to know that my story interested you this much. Alhamdulillah!

You can go ahead and ask whatever questions you might have. I'll do my best to answer....

May Ayob
05-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Salaam sister Flame i'm waiting for your story to post :):):):)

peace_maker
05-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Wow, mashaallah! Allahu Akbar!
Indeed, Allah is the best of planners.
Such a touching story, can't believe I read all the pages of the thread.
You have written it so beautifully, so detailed, so described. :)
You are a very good writer, mashaallah. You should be awarded with the 'Writer's Award.' :D

I hereby, certify that Flame has what it takes to be a writer...... and not to mention a questioner too... :p

Flame of Hope
05-29-2011, 09:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
Salaam sister Flame i'm waiting for your story to post :):):):)
Walaykum salam sis!

:omg:

:embarrass

:nervous:

I know I'm in BIG trouble. I know I have to fulfill all my obligations and promises. There's no getting out of this mess I'm in now. :skeleton:

Anyone who keeps a Muslim waiting is in BIG BIG Trouble!

Okay.... okay..... I'm going to post the story.....

Here goes nothing....... :exhausted

Flame of Hope
05-29-2011, 10:48 PM

I've created a separate thread for the story.....

Allah The Best Matchmaker

Who Am I?
05-29-2011, 11:17 PM

I've created a separate thread for the story.....

Allah The Best Matchmaker
Well, there it is. The promo for your cheesy romantic comedy. You should make a trailer now. ;D

Impey
05-30-2011, 05:39 PM
My story is a pretty long one and I was posting it in parts in the Stories of Muslim Reverts thread. But I saw that it was holding up others from posting their stories and I didn't want to be in the way. So here's my reversion story....
Thanks for the opportunity to ask some questions - I have two but for now I will just ask the first one. You said:

The argument went as follows: God wouldn’t be God if He died. All men are destined to die. Therefore no man can be God, even if he were to claim he was one.

Now on the surface it looks like cast iron logic but if one digs in a bit, and this is my question, what for you does it mean to be a 'person'. Sure all men die as far as we know but does that mean they cease to exist at all anywhere, forever from that moment on?

(By the way, philosophically, the statement "all me are destined to die' is unprovable, sure it has not happened yet but who knows?)

Mr.President
05-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Please continue.... Publish the rest of the story ..

Who Am I?
05-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Yeah man, this is like a TV series that only comes on once a week and we have to wait for the next installment.

Ghazalah
05-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Well, there it is. The promo for your cheesy romantic comedy. You should make a trailer now.
Even though you may not mean anything bad by what you say, take into consideration this is a sisters conversion story, something which changed her life for the better and is something she won't forget, calling it a 'cheesy romantic comedy' might offend her. Just think about it.

Flame of Hope
05-30-2011, 08:41 PM

Sister Ghazalah, you're really my pal you know. You got a cute little tiger looking at me there. Shoo shweet.

A fancy red car replaced by a beautiful tiger.

:wub:

Flame of Hope
05-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Yeah man, this is like a TV series that only comes on once a week and we have to wait for the next installment.
News Flash!

Sorry to interrupt you for a brief news bulletin. The notorious Sister Flame has lost her brains. Frantic attempts are being made right now to recover those Elusive Noodles. Rumor has it that they are highly unpredictable and moody. We'll be back with the next installment of the TV series as soon as Flame is able to pin them down in one place. Thank you for your patience.

Fade out.

(Enjoy the following comedy meanwhile..... Mishaps of 2 Super Agents

Who Am I?
05-31-2011, 02:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
Even though you may not mean anything bad by what you say, take into consideration this is a sisters conversion story, something which changed her life for the better and is something she won't forget, calling it a 'cheesy romantic comedy' might offend her. Just think about it.
Well I hope Flame knows me better than that by now, but if I offended anyone, then I apologize. imsad :embarrass

Flame of Hope
05-31-2011, 03:12 AM
Well I hope Flame knows me better than that by now, but if I offended anyone, then I apologize. imsad :embarrass
Awww! Come on! Wipe those silly tears away from your face.

You can't offend me. I'm un-offendable.

I've told you before and I'll tell you again... I don't like to hear the word "sorry" or the words..... "I apologize" from my pals and friends.

Apologizing is exclusively my privilege. Only I get to say those words.

I'm just soooooooo happy that you read my story, enjoyed it..... and that you're eagerly looking forward to the next episode.

So sit back, relax, have a Pepsi. The most intriguing episode will appear on your TV screen shortly. :shade:

Riana17
05-31-2011, 08:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by peace_maker
Wow, mashaallah! Allahu Akbar!
Indeed, Allah is the best of planners.
Such a touching story, can't believe I read all the pages of the thread.
You have written it so beautifully, so detailed, so described. :)
You are a very good writer, mashaallah. You should be awarded with the 'Writer's Award.' :D

I hereby, certify that Flame has what it takes to be a writer...... and not to mention a questioner too... :p

salam

I told her so

Riana17
05-31-2011, 08:12 AM
Salam
That's not offending, and Ms Flame has a big mind and its okay to show your cool side sometimes
Inshallah we will wait for your love story when you find one.

Me too I wanna watch the trailer Ms Flame!

Flame of Hope
05-31-2011, 08:20 AM

Sorry for keeping you waiting, respected brothers and sisters............

Blame it on Memorial Day. It was a holiday for my kids... but not a holiday for me. lol. Couldn't find time to get away and write.

But I've got something going....

I've written the story in more detail.......

Allah The Best Matchmaker.

Who Am I?
05-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Well alright then. You can expect more sarcasm and cynicism from me then.

Just remember, YOU asked for this... ;D

Impey
06-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Flame
Thanks for the opportunity to ask some questions - this is my second question about your testimony (I hope you will be able to find time to answer my first question in post 80). In your testimony you said that a critical moment was when you sought to find where in the Bible Jesus actually said he had come to die for our sins. I found this most intriguing as everyone of my generation in the West knows that Jesus did this whether they are Christian or not. Anyhow, I thought I must check this out as you say you did and I found there are a large number of Islamic web sites that say it so I wondered did someone prompt you in that direction or did you think it out for yourself.

My next search was of the Bible itself and in a way you are right about what Jesus said IF we confine ourselves to the exact words you used. But objectively, it does seem to me that you have to consider other ways of saying the same thing if one is not to be mislead. I would not call myself in any way a Biblical expert but I found several bits which are the actual words of Jesus that do seem to me to make it plain why he had come. To keep the post short I just quote one of them - Matthew 26:28 "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."

Flame of Hope
06-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the opportunity to ask some questions - I have two but for now I will just ask the first one. You said:

Now on the surface it looks like cast iron logic but if one digs in a bit, and this is my question, what for you does it mean to be a 'person'. Sure all men die as far as we know but does that mean they cease to exist at all anywhere, forever from that moment on?

(By the way, philosophically, the statement "all me are destined to die' is unprovable, sure it has not happened yet but who knows?)
Sorry for taking so long to answer your questions.

All men die. Not just all men, all things die. That's the plain observable truth. Nobody can dispute this fact and there is really no need to dig further.

Why would you want to dig further anyway?

As for what happens after men die, that's knowledge that belongs to God. And this knowledge has been communicated to mankind through His messengers.

Flame of Hope
06-18-2011, 12:27 AM
In your testimony you said that a critical moment was when you sought to find where in the Bible Jesus actually said he had come to die for our sins. I found this most intriguing as everyone of my generation in the West knows that Jesus did this whether they are Christian or not. Anyhow, I thought I must check this out as you say you did and I found there are a large number of Islamic web sites that say it so I wondered did someone prompt you in that direction or did you think it out for yourself.

My next search was of the Bible itself and in a way you are right about what Jesus said IF we confine ourselves to the exact words you used. But objectively, it does seem to me that you have to consider other ways of saying the same thing if one is not to be mislead. I would not call myself in any way a Biblical expert but I found several bits which are the actual words of Jesus that do seem to me to make it plain why he had come. To keep the post short I just quote one of them - Matthew 26:28 "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."
Everyone of your generation in the West knows that Jesus died for their sins whether they are Christian or not....?

Dear brother in humanity, what do you base this opinion on? What is the evidence to suggest that everyone in the West believes such a thing?

When I first read about the idea that Jesus died for the sins of mankind I did not need to check out Islamic sites or do research to know that it was pure falsehood. Actually, it happened to be the turning point of my life...... coming to know that Christians actually believed that Jesus was God and that he had come to die for our sins. So to answer your question..... no. Nobody prompted me or guided me away from Christianity. I thought it out myself.

As for that verse you quoted: "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins." .... if that verse means that Jesus died for our sins, then it's a conclusion that I would have to reject. I'm not going to accept the idea just because it's in the Bible.

Truth is clear from falsehood. But it's clear to only those who use their power of reason and do not lean towards their emotions.

Impey
06-18-2011, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riham
Sorry for taking so long to answer your questions. All men die. Not just all men, all things die. That's the plain observable truth. Nobody can dispute this fact and there is really no need to dig further. Why would you want to dig further anyway?

As for what happens after men die, that's knowledge that belongs to God. And this knowledge has been communicated to mankind through His messengers.
Fascinating answer. Firstly, I would want to 'dig' since I want to have some kind of confidence in the hear after, know where I am going so to speak. I tend to agree that we cannot be sure but just one final point, are you saying that in Islam no one can know their ultimate fate when they die?

Impey
06-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Everyone of your generation in the West knows that Jesus died for their sins whether they are Christian or not....? Dear brother in humanity, what do you base this opinion on? What is the evidence to suggest that everyone in the West believes such a thing?
Let me be clear, I said 'of my generation', notice I was careful not to say everyone believed it only knows about it since it was taught in church and school to all.

When I first read about the idea that Jesus died for the sins of mankind I did not need to check out Islamic sites or do research to know that it was pure falsehood. Actually, it happened to be the turning point of my life...... coming to know that Christians actually believed that Jesus was God and that he had come to die for our sins. So to answer your question..... no. Nobody prompted me or guided me away from Christianity. I thought it out myself. As for that verse you quoted: "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins." .... if that verse means that Jesus died for our sins, then it's a conclusion that I would have to reject. I'm not going to accept the idea just because it's in the Bible.
This is interesting and of course you are quite entitled to believe or not as you conscience and mind dictate just as I do. But what puzzles me is that you in that case referred to the Bible at all, why did it matter? Secondly, presumably, if its in the Qu'ran (and I am given to understand that lots of what is in the Bible is in the Qu'ran) you would accept it - so where is the difference for you?

Truth is clear from falsehood. But it's clear to only those who use their power of reason and do not lean towards their emotions.
Well I cannot agree that this is always the case or that truth is easily disentangled from falsehood. Also I cannot accept that reason and emotions can be separated so easily. I don't know your background but it is a fact that the brain put simply has a rational part and and emotional part and therefore any thought gets filtered through both (unless the brain is damaged). Key to this is the amygdalae in the medial temporal lobes with a primary role in processing memory and emotional reactions. In practice this means that emotions are essential to making judgements no matter what logic you employ. For example, I well remember the story of the killing of the first born in Egypt to free the Israelites and I can rationalise that as just punishment because the Egyptians did the same to the Israelite children but my emotions tell me otherwise and I think I would hardly be human if I felt otherwise.

Flame of Hope
06-18-2011, 10:08 PM
I tend to agree that we cannot be sure but just one final point, are you saying that in Islam no one can know their ultimate fate when they die?
Yes, no one can be sure what will happen to him when they die. Muslims live between fear and hope.... and even the Prophet (saws) said that he had no idea what would become of him on the Day of Judgment.

Flame of Hope
06-18-2011, 11:45 PM
But what puzzles me is that you in that case referred to the Bible at all, why did it matter? Secondly, presumably, if its in the Qu'ran (and I am given to understand that lots of what is in the Bible is in the Qu'ran) you would accept it - so where is the difference for you?
Ah, respected brother in humanity, I read the Bible because there are many sparkling gems to be found therein. Those gems are universal principles of truth that apply at all times, at all places and to all human beings. :)

Here are a few passages that I really like:

1. “You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to destruction is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only few ever find it.” Matthew 6:13-14

The universal truth expressed in this verse: The way to Paradise is the way of toil and hardship, the way to Hell is easy, alluring and pleasing.

2. “No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." Matthew 6:24

The universal truth expressed in this verse is: You can have only one Master. There is no Master besides the One True God.

3. “Do to others as you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the Law and the prophets.” Matthew 6: 12

The universal truth in this verse: Law of cause and effect..... do good and you will get good. Do evil and you will receive evil. You reap what you sow.

4. “If your brother sins, rebuke him; then if there is repentance, forgive. Even if that person wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and asks for forgiveness, you must forgive.” Luke 17:3-4

The universal truth in this verse: Pardon men so that you may receive pardon from The Almighty. Forgive so that you may be forgiven. Show mercy and you will be shown mercy.

5. “Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: 'I thank you, God, that I am not a sinner like everyone else. For I don’t cheat, I don’t sin and I give you a tenth of my income.’ But the tax collector stood at distance and prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” Luke 18:10-14

Universal truth in this verse: Pride is the cause of destruction, humility and repentance is the cause of salvation.

So brother in humanity, I read all sorts of books, including the Bible. I don't refuse to consider what any book has to say. I look for what is true. If it makes sense and it is an observable universal principle of truth, I have absolutely no problem accepting it. I certainly do accept all the above sayings found in the Bible. Such sayings are a delight to read. They are evident truths and observable phenomena.

But when I come across anything that pertains to the Unseen World, about which only God has knowledge, I cannot be sure of its truthfulness. That knowledge is conveyed only to the messengers of God..... special people of exemplary character chosen by God..... such as Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Prophet Muhammad peace be upon them all.

So if I were to read any book and it speaks of evident universal principles, I will readily acknowledge and accept those jewels of truth. But if a book speaks of things that don't make sense, I will reject those things. I'm not going to accept them just because the book I am reading is the Bible.

I take what is true. Reject what is false. To do this..... use of one's reason is indispensable.

The truth is clear...... always has been. We just need to lay aside our emotions and feelings...... because they have a tendency to make us...... BIASED.

MustafaMc
06-20-2011, 03:16 AM

Yes, no one can be sure what will happen to him when they die. Muslims live between fear and hope.... and even the Prophet (saws) said that he had no idea what would become of him on the Day of Judgment.
I agree with you, but I stand on the promise that Allah (swt) made in the Quran of forgiveness and Paradise for those who believe and do good deeds. I pray to die not but as a Muslim - one who submits his will to that of Allah's (swt).

Flame of Hope
06-20-2011, 09:02 AM
I would not call myself in any way a Biblical expert but I found several bits which are the actual words of Jesus that do seem to me to make it plain why he had come. To keep the post short I just quote one of them - Matthew 26:28 "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."
I'm a little surprised at your interest in my story, Impey. I didn't think non-Muslims would be interested in reading it.... nor care to ask questions the way you have. It seems to me you are yourself struggling to know the truth.... or have doubts in your mind and something you read in my story made sense to you. Anyway, I'm happy that you have come here to this forum in search for answers.

In my last post, I mentioned universal principles of truth that can be found in the Bible. These gems of truth can be found anywhere.... in any book or any religion. It doesn't matter who utters them. They are eternal in nature and self-evident.

But when we come across a teaching that cannot be classified as universal truth.... such as this line here,

"This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."

..... it would matter a lot who utters it. In this case, Jesus (peace be upon him) is supposed to have said it. But this was recorded by someone called Matthew.... about whom we know very little. Since I cannot be sure of Matthew's truthfulness, I cannot believe in these words. I would have doubts. But if it was Prophet Muhammad (saws) saying it, I would have immediately accepted it.

Here's another statement found in the Bible that cannot be classified as self-evident, universal truth:

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).

This statement is from someone called John. Who is John? What do we know about him? If we could verify his truthfulness and be convinced of his God-fearing character, then we should have no problem accepting the above information. But since we do not know anything much about John, we cannot be sure. I'd be justified to have my doubts...... and to reject such a teaching on the grounds that it contradicts what the Bible teaches about God in The Old Testament...... that God is ONE.

And by the way, I believe in the concept that God is ONE not because the Bible says so, but because it's the self-evident, universal truth.... clearly observable in the perfect order and magnificence of this universe.

Therefore, if I come across anything that contradicts a self-evident universal truth..... I will promptly reject it.

Now you know the reason in detail as to why I rejected the idea that Jesus died for our sins. Or the idea that he was God. Or son of God.

Flame of Hope
06-20-2011, 12:12 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
I agree with you, but I stand on the promise that Allah (swt) made in the Quran of forgiveness and Paradise for those who believe and do good deeds. I pray to die not but as a Muslim - one who submits his will to that of Allah's (swt).
Yes, we hope that Allah will find us to be true believers at the time of our deaths and that is what we pray to Allah for..... that we die as Muslims, believing in Him as ONE and not associating partners with Him.

To say that I want to have confidence in knowing where I am going however is actually a tricky affair. One cannot have such confidence. Because to have it would be tantamount to becoming smug and complacent about one's destiny, as though one is guaranteed salvation. It is tantamount to having pride in one's own righteousness.... thinking oneself to be so good that he will definitely be saved.

In Islam to have such confidence is a major sin... To be specific, that sin is feeling secure from the plan of Allah.

Iblis fell into this trap. And it's a trap that all Muslims must avoid.

One Chance
06-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Salams,
They main thing we should focus on brothers and sisters is that we should be thankful to Allah and fearful of losing these things

Who Am I?
06-20-2011, 02:50 PM
I don't think any human can ever say 100% for sure that they know where they will go after death. Doubts will always be in the back of your mind. We can't know for sure because no one that has died has ever come back to tell us what to expect. It's a one-way trip.

Anyway, Riham, your story was an inspiration to me as well. Some elements of your journey to Islam are/were similar to my own story. I read it the first day I was here, and I remember thinking that I too wanted to find that peace that you have found. The rest of my story you now know.

MustafaMc
06-20-2011, 03:29 PM

Yes, we hope that Allah will find us to be true believers at the time of our deaths and that is what we pray to Allah for..... that we die as Muslims, believing in Him as ONE and not associating partners with Him.

To say that I want to have confidence in knowing where I am going however is actually a tricky affair. One cannot have such confidence. Because to have it would be tantamount to becoming smug and complacent about one's destiny, as though one is guaranteed salvation. It is tantamount to having pride in one's own righteousness.... thinking oneself to be so good that he will definitely be saved.

In Islam to have such confidence is a major sin... To be specific, that sin is feeling secure from the plan of Allah.

Iblis fell into this trap. And it's a trap that all Muslims must avoid.
Sister, you write so eloquently, masha'Allah. Again I agree with what you are saying. Christians will ask, "Do you know that you are saved? If you died tonight would you go to Heaven or Hell?" You are so right that we don't have the same attitude of "Blessed Assurance, Jesus is mine!", but rather a balance of hope in the mercy of Allah (swt) and fear of His wrath.

Impey
06-24-2011, 09:54 PM
I have never I think heard this before as one is familiar with Martyrs going straight to heaven (though how killing the innocent does that I cannot say) But what I would like to ask is why if as you say the Qu'ran is God's last word would he omit to tell us a certain way to get to heaven, surely that is the most important question of all if one is a believer? I also wonder what God would do if I (say) did massive amounts of good works, much, much more that you but did not believe? Of course I can ask the question also the other way round if I believed but did nothing good? In short logically, it looks like good works are the deciding factor not believing?

Flame of Hope
06-24-2011, 10:07 PM
In short logically, it looks like good works are the deciding factor not believing?
Belief comes first. Good works second.

One can be saved by SINCERE belief in Allah and His Messenger alone. However, some people get misled into thinking that they believe and have faith and by virtue of that alone, they will be saved. They forget that sincerity is an elusive thing. If you believe you are sincere, you aren't. And thus, your chance for salvation is lost.

Impey
06-24-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm a little surprised at your interest in my story, Impey. I didn't think non-Muslims would be interested in reading it.... nor care to ask questions the way you have. It seems to me you are yourself struggling to know the truth.... or have doubts in your mind and something you read in my story made sense to you. Anyway, I'm happy that you have come here to this forum in search for answers.
Stories are always interesting if they are truthful accounts as to how a person comes to faith or for that matters looses it. So I am not looking for 'answers' as such as if there is only one right one but understanding. I cannot understand at all how someone could become a Muslim which seems almost totally legalistic and I suppose philosophically that is why I am here.

In my last post, I mentioned universal principles of truth that can be found in the Bible. These gems of truth can be found anywhere.... in any book or any religion. It doesn't matter who utters them. They are eternal in nature and self-evident. But when we come across a teaching that cannot be classified as universal truth.... such as this line here, "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."

..... it would matter a lot who utters it. In this case, Jesus (peace be upon him) is supposed to have said it. But this was recorded by someone called Matthew.... about whom we know very little. Since I cannot be sure of Matthew's truthfulness, I cannot believe in these words. I would have doubts. But if it was Prophet Muhammad (saws) saying it, I would have immediately accepted it.
Interesting, so you would accept ANYTHING as long as you knew the person was known to be truthful? Suppose I say 'my wife is the most beatiful woman in the world' and I think my self as truthful would you accept it? Now I am told that Mohammed is supposed to have said there are more women than men in hell - does it not occur to you to ask how he could possibly know that and it cannot be a self-evident universal truth can it?

Here's another statement found in the Bible that cannot be classified as self-evident, universal truth: "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). This statement is from someone called John. Who is John? What do we know about him? If we could verify his truthfulness and be convinced of his God-fearing character, then we should have no problem accepting the above information. But since we do not know anything much about John, we cannot be sure. I'd be justified to have my doubts...... and to reject such a teaching on the grounds that it contradicts what the Bible teaches about God in The Old Testament...... that God is ONE.
Of course you can have doubts, I would for such a claim by Jesus and so for me it would be about faith because one cannot 'prove' such a fact as true or false. But I wonder are you being consistent here since it seems to me we either say Mohammed wrote the Qu'ran (via scribes) or it has no author since we cannot I think check it out with God, ipso facto you again have to rely on truthfulness but without any way of proving it?

And by the way, I believe in the concept that God is ONE not because the Bible says so, but because it's the self-evident, universal truth.... clearly observable in the perfect order and magnificence of this universe.
I would like to agree with you but some of the brightest minds on earth have come to quite a different conclusion - so who is wrong you or them? If I were you I would have to step back a little and accept that my mind is tiny and I must not make it the measure of all things.

Flame of Hope
06-25-2011, 02:11 AM
If I were you I would have to step back a little and accept that my mind is tiny and I must not make it the measure of all things.
My dear brother in humanity, to not use my mind and make it the measure of all things is to become like an animal. I do not wish to go down to that level and live like a beast. The ability to think and reason is what separates man from animals... So I'm so sorry... I can't give that up.

If you wish to do so, well.... nobody's stopping you.

MustafaMc
06-26-2011, 02:55 PM
I have never I think heard this before as one is familiar with Martyrs going straight to heaven (though how killing the innocent does that I cannot say)
No, even this depends upon the intention for doing so. I definitely do not see that blowing ones self up along with innocent people as an act of martyrdom, but rather of suicide and murder which are huge sins.
But what I would like to ask is why if as you say the Qu'ran is God's last word would he omit to tell us a certain way to get to heaven, surely that is the most important question of all if one is a believer?
There is no 'formula' to follow to ensure ones salvation for one does not know the sincerity of his own heart or the condition of his faith upon his death.
I also wonder what God would do if I (say) did massive amounts of good works, much, much more that you but did not believe? Of course I can ask the question also the other way round if I believed but did nothing good? In short logically, it looks like good works are the deciding factor not believing?
Judgment is only for Allah (swt), but I would much, much, much rather die as a Muslim with only a few good deeds than to die as a Kafir with many good deeds. The most significant good deed of all is testimony that, "I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allah and Muhammad is His servant and messenger." I hold onto this testimony that I made over 29 years ago and again I stand on the promises that Allah (swt) made in the Quran of forgiveness and gardens of Paradise for those who believe and do good deeds.

SFatima
06-26-2011, 03:34 PM
SubhanAllah what a lovely story and what a lovely sister we have now in Islam, thats what i love about it! So many interesting muslim sisters we get from all over the world, MashAllah and they help us all bind together in a refreshing inspiration : )

Impey
06-26-2011, 05:39 PM
My dear brother in humanity, to not use my mind and make it the measure of all things is to become like an animal. I do not wish to go down to that level and live like a beast. The ability to think and reason is what separates man from animals... So I'm so sorry... I can't give that up. If you wish to do so, well.... nobody's stopping you.
I get the feeling I have offended you?

I think you have misunderstood what I was saying. The mind is all we have and in a way it is all we are and if we loose it or regulate it to second place we are no better that animals. However, all human beings seem able to be logical and can rationalise things or events but it is also obvious that our minds, our thinking abilities are limited and it is in the sense that I used the phrase 'tiny' mind.

What surprises me, even shocks me, is how certain you are of your own conclusions reached by your own intellectual processes. On the one hand you accept without question what Mohammed said or did as absolute truth but for everything else you decide what is or is not truth, or a universal truth as you call it - why are you so certain of your own rational powers, I certainly am not of mine?

For example, Socrates, one of the finest thinkers the world has ever seen said "If I have any authority it is based upon the sure notion that I know nothing." On the face of it this sounds absurd but what it is really saying is that if we forget our limitations and close our minds to argument, new knowledge then we are sure to fail. One only has to consider conspiracy theories to see this where scores of people believe in absurdities: vaccines cause autism, aliens have abducted people, the CIA created aids, 9/11 was a Zionist sponsored event, the holocaust is a myth and so on. Indeed once you think you are immune from such things you are in fact showing your susceptibility to them. Let's face it which of us has never been caught out by a sales gimmick of some kind and ended up buying something we did not need or want. It has to be said also that if we believe in God who created the vastness of eternity then pretending we know exactly the mind of God in every circumstance is foolishness in the extreme.

This is why we must treat all knowledge as tentative always allowing that we just might be wrong. In fact this is the scientific default position, being aware that new theories, new explanations, new interpretations or new data might totally undermine what we thought was solid. Of course we try to obtain confirmations, or verifications, for nearly every theory and if we are honest we not only look for things that uphold the theory but also more importantly, events which are incompatible with the theory, that is an event which would have refuted the theory. When we speak of religious things we run into trouble because they are not generally refutable. A theory which is not refutable by any conceivable event is non-scientific. Of course irrefutability is not a virtue of a theory (as people often think) but a vice.

For example, to use one of your examples that Jesus said, as recorded by Matthew "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins." Now it is one thing to accept that Jesus said this, indeed I can see no obvious reason to deny it, but the truth of the actual words is unfalsifiable, that is there no way we can show it to be true if it is true and no way to show it to be false if it is false - it really is totally irrelevant whether Matthew or Jesus were known to tell the truth, the statement cannot be tested and cannot be shown to be true or false. In passing I note, and you may correct me if this is wrong, that Mohammed like Jesus never themselves wrote anything down and always it was a scribe or sometimes several scribes and in general as far as I know we know less about their honesty than that of Matthews'.

In the case of Jesus or Mohammed if you can only indicate a statement's truth with corroborating evidence that these men were truthful - in effect you have introduced ad hoc some auxiliary assumption in such a way that it (the theory) escapes refutation. Such a procedure is always possible, but it rescues the theory from refutation only at the price of destroying, or at least greatly lowering, its status.

Flame of Hope
06-26-2011, 08:24 PM
why are you so certain of your own rational powers, I certainly am not of mine?
Because the only way to know the truth is by using reason. This is how all detectives solve mysteries. Try it.... and you might be surprised how certain you can be when you use your reason without allowing bias or preconceived ideas to color your judgement.

On the face of it this sounds absurd but what it is really saying is that if we forget our limitations and close our minds to argument, new knowledge then we are sure to fail.
If we use our reason we would know that we have many limitations. But we would also know that understanding and wisdom cannot be acquired without the use of reason. It is reason that helps us to distinguish truth from falsehood.

It has to be said also that if we believe in God who created the vastness of eternity then pretending we know exactly the mind of God in every circumstance is foolishness in the extreme.
And who is pretending to know exactly the mind of God? Why pretend at all? I don't believe in pretenses.

This is why we must treat all knowledge as tentative always allowing that we just might be wrong.
Information that you think is true can't be classified as knowledge. If people said that the Earth was flat, that's information. But whether that's knowledge, no. That's not knowledge. Knowledge is when you know something to be true for sure. If you said that the Earth was round, yes. That's knowledge. If you said that 2 + 2 was 5, that wouldn't be knowledge. It would be knowledge only if you said that 2 + 2 was 4. One cannot say that the answer to 2 + 2 is 4 but that's tentative and we just might be wrong.

Impey
06-29-2011, 05:03 PM
No, even this depends upon the intention for doing so. I definitely do not see that blowing ones self up along with innocent people as an act of martyrdom, but rather of suicide and murder which are huge sins. There is no 'formula' to follow to ensure ones salvation for one does not know the sincerity of his own heart or the condition of his faith upon his death. Judgment is only for Allah (swt), but I would much, much, much rather die as a Muslim with only a few good deeds than to die as a Kafir with many good deeds. The most significant good deed of all is testimony that, "I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allah and Muhammad is His servant and messenger." I hold onto this testimony that I made over 29 years ago and again I stand on the promises that Allah (swt) made in the Quran of forgiveness and gardens of Paradise for those who believe and do good deeds.
I think I understand what you are saying about faith but it kind of sounds odd that you seem to feel that good deeds, which I would take as solid evidence of faith, are almost discounted. If I may illustrate what I mean by an analogy. Suppose I as a teacher ask you to define the famous problem solving idea called SWOT. So you rush off to Wikipedia and write it out - does that really mean you know it? Now, you may disagree, but for me the answer is NO, the only way I as a teacher will be able to see that you know it is IF you can use it to produce an analysis of a problem situation.

So if you or anyone says they have faith then for me anyway it has to be seen in action, in a transformed life. Now you can argue as a believer that God sees the heart and looks at you intention and rewards that. But I find that rather empty and would wonder why bother to believe if it makes no difference. I suppose what I would say is that the truth can only be spoken by those who live it, and only heard by those who heed it.

Have you heard the famous parable "A man had two sons; he went to the first and said, 'Son, go and work in the vineyard today.' He answered, 'I will not'; but later he changed his mind and went. The father went to the second and said the same; and he answered, 'I go, sir'; but he did not go. Which of the two did the will of his father?"

Consider intentions here and say what you answer is?

Impey
06-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Because the only way to know the truth is by using reason. This is how all detectives solve mysteries. Try it.... and you might be surprised how certain you can be when you use your reason without allowing bias or preconceived ideas to color your judgement.
I agree with you that using ones reason is a way of establishing truth, but what I am talking about is how we can know that there are no flaws in our reasoning. However, your statement "the only way to know the truth is by using reason" is wrong. Firstly, reason always needs evidence, data to back it up. Take your detective idea, he might make an inspired deduction about how the crime was committed but unless he can find evidence that fits his deduction it is nothing but hot air. Secondly, there is no way you or anyone else can establish the truth about whether it will rain next Thursday by reasoning. Even if I state it in a stronger way by saying 'it has rained every Thursday for the last 191 days (evidence), therefore it will rain next Thursday' - you would be justified in feeling more sure but it is impossible to know the truth with certainty; to do that you have to wait until Thursday. Thirdly, it is also a fact that there are many problems that have no solution and again no amount of reasoning will deliver one. Lastly, it is obviously (self-evident?) true that two or more people armed with the same facts may by reasoning reach different conclusions, often opposite conclusions. Next, it is impossible to be totally unbiased, the best we can ever do is be aware of our bias and let that consciousness stop our natural bias interfering too much with our judgements. To put it in your words "You cease to be unbiased when you think you are unbiased." Similarly, we cannot avoid preconceived ideas but only be aware of them and to think otherwise is danderous intellectual arrogance.

I must say that coming from a Muslim the phrase 'the only way to know the truth is by using reason' was a great surprise to me as it would automatically exclude revelation as a way to access the truth. But there are many things that we cannot reason to the truth. If I say 'he lies because he is demon possessed' well that might be the truth but I cannot see anyway to show it is false if it is or true if it is - its just too weird a claim and no amount of reasoning can distinguish truth from falsehood in this case. This I think is true for almost all religious claims.

Information that you think is true can't be classified as knowledge. If people said that the Earth was flat, that's information. But whether that's knowledge, no. That's not knowledge. Knowledge is when you know something to be true for sure. If you said that the Earth was round, yes. That's knowledge. If you said that 2 + 2 was 5, that wouldn't be knowledge. It would be knowledge only if you said that 2 + 2 was 4. One cannot say that the answer to 2 + 2 is 4 but that's tentative and we just might be wrong.
Well I partly agree here in that we always need evidence or a way to test any claim for truth. But even in the case of 2 + 2 = 4 there are issues since the rules of arithmetic are based on axioms, meaning statements of truth we assume but cannot prove. Can you explain why (-1)x(-1) = +1, why two negative multiplied together make a positive as it sounds wrong, but why does it have to be like that?

Ramadhan
06-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Impey, You DO know the forum rule that a previously banned member (for very serious violations) is not allowed to register again even if they change their screen name?

Impey
06-29-2011, 09:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan
Impey, You DO know the forum rule that a previously banned member (for very serious violations) is not allowed to register again even if they change their screen name?
Not sure what you mean by this. I have said that I am here to find out if I can why someone becomes a Muslim. Hence the discussion with Riham since she is both certain if her faith and her own power of reason and I would like to know where such certainty comes from. I have no other agenda and not defending budism, christainity, or any other philosophy as I feel my posts will show - if this is a no go area then please tell me and I will go elsewhere to find an answer - perhaps you can recommend somewhere

Ramadhan
06-30-2011, 01:37 AM
Not sure what you mean by this. I have said that I am here to find out if I can why someone becomes a Muslim. Hence the discussion with Riham since she is both certain if her faith and her own power of reason and I would like to know where such certainty comes from. I have no other agenda and not defending budism, christainity, or any other philosophy as I feel my posts will show - if this is a no go area then please tell me and I will go elsewhere to find an answer - perhaps you can recommend somewhere
You don't have to pretend to be dumb. You are actually dumb. Next time when you re-register, change your computer, your router, your provider, change your country of residence, change your new style of writing and arguing, and most importantly: change your brain, because your current brain is too sick from worshiping a baby human as god.

Would you like me to disable your account and you go voluntarily so it will say on your account: disabled on request,
or do you like a more humiliating way (which befits you actually)?

brmm
08-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Assalamu alaikom warahmato allah,
Maybe I am a bit late, but I just read it today :)
Alhamdolillah for your Islam, both of you.
If you wish to remind your husband with what he was believing in, or if you have a friend who is still Christian, pls download my material and read it, The Truth about Christianity, ..., I have spent long time to make it.
It is nice to see the truth from outside the box.

BRMM

Zafran
08-19-2011, 02:53 PM
salaam

I've missed Impeys posts - But how do you know that animals dont have minds - how do you even know other people have minds? You might be familar with solipcism? futhermore Socrates didnt write anything down? so How can we be sure thats actually a quote from Socrates? - what about thoughts how do we know other people have them for certain? or your ancestor times 1000 do you know who they were and what they did if there is no historical and empircal evidence for there Existence? does that mean they didnt exist ever? - You seem to have no problem of "knowing" all about these things with no method of verification.

Signor
10-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Masha'Allah

Great Share,Many Thanks

~ Sabr ~
06-18-2012, 05:54 AM
Amazing story sis, it had me in tears...:'(

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!