/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dreams

Fivesolas
03-29-2011, 07:33 PM
What is your understanding of dreams? Have you had any signifcant dreams that have had an impact on you?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
03-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Dreams of the Prophets of God are all true, they are revelations from God.

The dreams of everyone else vary. Righteous and truthful people will see true dreams more than other people. While for the rest of making dreams can either be true or mere reflections of what one is concerned with during the day. It's something one should not greatly concern himself with.

Human_Being
03-29-2011, 07:56 PM
i wonder if some dreams are a test like if u hav lots and lots of dreams and they strange and long and it makes u dwell but maybe its a test 2 see how much u focus on Allah and not the dreams

Endymion
03-29-2011, 08:01 PM
My dreams often come true.A few weeks before i saw a dream about my sister who was waiting for her result.The interpretation of that dream i understand was that she will fail in 2 papers and sadly,my dream come true imsad

And now she is cursing me of watching such dream :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
cuezed
03-29-2011, 10:03 PM
I used to have dreams that came true. some were a very exact detail of the future.

Woodrow
03-30-2011, 01:44 AM
Here my years as a psychologist tend to make my opinion very biased. I will not deny that there is strong evidence of some dreams not being the result my view.

But from what I have experienced and seen I strongly believe that most, but not all, dreams are a physical integration of sensory input into the CNS in a workable system and the removal of unnecessary temporary memory. All dreams I remember having, have been in that category.

I do want to stress that is not the only explanation for dreams and I accept some people do seem to have dreams that can not be explained from a physical view. But I do believe for most of us our dreams do have a physical explanation.

Fivesolas
03-30-2011, 02:03 AM
I had read in Job 33 the following
14For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not.

15In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed;
16Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction, 17That he may withdraw man from his purpose, and hide pride from man.

What do you think?

Aprender
03-30-2011, 02:46 AM
Most of the time I don't remember my dreams. The ones that have had an impact on me are usually ones that I don't quite understand until a later date. Then I see...

I had a philosophical discussion with an atheist/Jewish (yes, I know weird word pairing there but that's what he described himself as to me) student once at the university who believed that dreams are really reality and this world that we live in now is what is the dream. I think he got it from that movie...but he sure was serious in arguing about it among other topics.

selsebil
03-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Dear Brother,

Dreams are of three sorts. Two of these, in the words of the Qur’an, are "A confused medley of dreams"; included among these, they are not worth interpreting. If they have any meaning, it is of no importance. Either due to an ailment, the power of imagination mixes things up and depicts them in accordance with the person’s sickness, or the imagination recalls some stimulating event which occurred to the person that day, or previously, or even at the same time a year or two earlier, and it modifies and depicts it, giving it some other form. This sort too are A confused medley of dreams, and not worth interpreting.
The third sort are true dreams. With the senses that bind man to the Manifest World and roam in that world resting and ceasing their activity, the dominical subtle faculty in man’s essential nature finds a direct relation with World of the Unseen and opens up a window onto it. Through that window, it looks on events whose occurrence is being prepared; it encounters the manifestations of the Preserved Tablet and one of the types of samples of the missives of Divine Determining; it sees some true occurrences. Sometimes the imagination governs in those occurrences, dressing them in the garments of form. There are numerous types and levels of this sort of dream. Sometimes they turn out exactly as dreamed; sometimes they turn out slightly concealed, as though under a fine veil; and sometimes they turn out heavily veiled.
True dreams are a higher development of premonitions. Everyone has premonitions to a greater or lesser degree. Animals even have them. At one time I discovered scientifically, additional to the famous external and inner senses like the unconscious instinctive senses which impel and stimulate, and hearing and sight, two senses including premonition. Philosophers and the people of misguidance mistakenly and foolishly call those little known senses “Natural instinct.” God forbid! They are not ‘Natural’ instinct; rather, Divine Determining impels man and animals through a sort of innate inspiration. For example, some animals like cats, if they lose their sight, through this impelling of Divine Determining, go and find a plant which is healing for their eyes, rub it on them, and they get better.
Also, birds of prey like eagles, which, like the public health officials of the earth, are charged with the duty of removing the carcasses of nomadic animals, are informed through that impelling of Divine Determining, that inspiration of the sense of premonition, that Divine drive, of animal remains a day’s distance away, and they go and find them.
Also, a young bee newly come into the world, flies a day’s distance in the air when only a day old without losing its way, and through that drive of Divine Determining and impelling inspiration returns to its hive. And it happens frequently to everyone that while speaking of someone, the door opens, and totally unexpectedly the same person enters. There is even a saying in Kurdish which goes: “Talk of the wolf and ready your gun, for the wolf will appear.” That is to say, through a premonition, that dominical subtle faculty had perceived the person’s coming in summary fashion. But since the conscious mind had not comprehended it, it prompted him to speak of it, not intentionally, but involuntarily. Intuitive people sometimes say that someone is coming almost like wonder-working. At one time in myself, even, sensitivity of this kind was acute. I wanted to incorporate the condition into a principle, but I could not adapt it and was unable to. However, in the righteous, and particularly in the people of sainthood, premonition develops to a high degree, showing its effects wondrously.
Thus, ordinary people may manifest a sort of sainthood so that like the saints, they dream of things pertaining to the Unseen and the future in true dreams. Yes, for ordinary people sleep may be like a degree of sainthood in respect of true dreams; so too for everyone it is a splendid dominical cinema. However, those with good morals think good thoughts, and one with good thoughts dreams of good things. Whereas since those with bad morals think bad thoughts, they dream of bad things. Furthermore, for everyone, true dreams are a window in the Manifest World looking onto the World of the Unseen. For restricted and transitory human beings, they are also an arena of infinite proportions manifesting a sort of eternity, and a place for gazing on the past and the future as though they were the present. They are also a resting-place for beings with spirits who are crushed beneath the responsibilities of life suffering great hardship.

By Bediuzzaman Said Nursi

PouringRain
03-30-2011, 03:36 PM
I believe that the majority of dreams people have fall into two categories: incubation of things of the day or current stressors in life.

I have come to realize that most people do not dream as much as I do, and/or do not remember their dreams as much as I do. (If you never noticed, yes, I have sleep problems. LOL) It is common for me to dream nightly and to have multiple dreams. It is common for me to have extremely long dreams that play out like a long movie. I also have short, clipped dreams.

As for the content of my dreams.... Sometimes in dreams, I am the main character, sometimes I am the main character but it is not me, sometimes I am outside of the main character and watching things happen. Sometimes I am a man in dreams. The vast majority of the time I do not know the people in my dreams. If I ever do dream of someone I know, I make sure to pray for that person when I awaken, especially if the feelings surrounding that individual were dark. It is common for me to have dreams of being pursued as someone tries to kill me. I joke that if my dreams are prophetic, then I will be murdered one day. LOL I have had dreams where I am beaten near death, had guns held to me, and other assorted nightmarish types of things much worse than I have mentioned. It is also common for me to have quite absurd dreams, consisting of odd things juxtaposed together-- like crystal people who fall and become cartoonish cats. Infrequently, I have dreams about things in life-- stressors, events, etc. And on occasion I have dreams that come true.

There was a thread on another forum asking if anyone has ever dreamed of the prophet Mohammed. I have never dreamed of him, nor have I ever dreamed of Jesus. I did, however, once have a dream where Rebbe Schneerson came and spoke to me. (I don't normally have known or famous-type people in my dreams at all.)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!