/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Regional Recipes - Post Yours!

Little_Lion
03-30-2011, 12:55 PM
I thought it might be fun, since we have so many international members, if people contributed a recipe that is considered to be specific to where they live or grew up! For obvious reasons, try to avoid foods that are haram. ;)

I cook about as well as I could be expected to calculate a multistage trajectory to Alpha Centauri, so my recipe is pretty simple . . . .

Fluffernutter

Ingredients:

2 slices of bread (your choice of type)
Peanut Butter
Marshmallow Fluff (also called marshmallow creme in some areas)

Preparation:

Spread peanut butter evenly on one side of one slice of bread, and set aside. Spread marshmallow fluff on one side of the other slice of bread. Place the two slices of bread together to form a sandwich, with the peanut butter and fluff sides touching for best results. Diners of a more rebellious nature may try other combinations of assembly for a variety of reactions on the part of the family/other diners. :statisfie

Fluffernutters were developed in Massachusetts, US - packaged marshmallow fluff was first produced in the town of Somerville, MA - and are such a staple of children's lunches in the central and eastern parts of the state that in 2006 a bill was introduced to the Massachusetts Legislature to limit the number of times in one week they could be served for lunch at school (the bill was later dropped).

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
03-30-2011, 02:52 PM
By regional do you mean the region we now live in or any region we have lived in? Here in the flatland just North of You it seems regional would mean anything originally Scandinavian or German/Russian unless you follow the Red Road in which case we go Lakotah. The most Lakotah of food is fry bread. although it is of fairly recent origin going back to only the 1800s. It came about when the Lakotah were herded onto the reservations and given sacks of flour. They had never seen flour before and did not know what to do with it. By trial and error some discovered how to make fry bread and the recipe soon spread throughout The Dakotas.

Ingredients

1 egg
1/2 cup dry milk
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups flour
1 cup warm water

Directions

Mix the dry ingredients together, mix the egg and the water, add to the dry mixture.
Add flour or water to adjust mixture to a very soft dough mixture.
Put dough on a well floured board.
Roll out to about a 1 inch thickness.
Let set for about 15 minutes.
Cut into what ever size you would like, I like to do mine in smaller pieces for dipping into wojapi.
You could get about 24 pieces out of this batter.
Deep fry in hot oil, just enough to brown on each side.
Put on a paper towel to get some of the top oil off the bread.

Note: I found that when making frybread, it is better to make one batch at one time. My family likes to dip the frybread in wojapi made from blueberries.

That recipe was "borrowed" from HERE

The wojapi mentioned above is a very old recipe and purely Native American, variations of it having been made for hundreds if not thousands of years among the Northern tribes. The Sioux and Ojibwa seem to have perfected it. I prefer the Ojibwa recipe

1 quart Fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained
1 cup Sourwood honey
1/4 cup Cornmeal
1 cup Water
2 tablespoons Fresh mint leaves, chopped

In a saucepan, combine blueberries, honey, and enough water to just cover the berries.
Bring berries to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
In a bowl, mix cornmeal with water until smooth.
Stir mixture into hot berries.
Add mint.
Stir over low heat until berries thicken.
Cool.

Ramadhan
03-30-2011, 02:52 PM
You'll be glad to know that every Ramadan (the fasting month) we have this most excellent thread that contains amazing array of recipes and photos of food from around the world, shared by our brothers and sisters. We've done it in the past 2 years. Check it out:
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...amadanyat.html

This thread is one of the great things about ramadhan in this forum, apart from the fact that the comparative religion and world affairs sections closed, so no arguing and debates.

Little_Lion
03-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Woodrow: I meant where you grew up (like I grew up in Central MA) or where you were currently living (in which case I would have to post a recipe for the blandest food in all Creation, IMHO :blech: )

Jazak'Allah khayr, naidamar! I would not have thought of looking under something for Ramadan for recipes!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdul-Raouf
03-30-2011, 06:21 PM
I am from India... land of variety ....each state..each city..each district...has too many recipes ......hard to be selective and post a few .........:(

- Gud excuse ?

Woodrow
03-30-2011, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
Woodrow: I meant where you grew up (like I grew up in Central MA) or where you were currently living (in which case I would have to post a recipe for the blandest food in all Creation, IMHO :blech: )

Jazak'Allah khayr, naidamar! I would not have thought of looking under something for Ramadan for recipes!
I kind of thought that is what you meant. My recipe came from where I now live on the eastern edge of Standing rock Rez in ND. I grew up in North Central Ct. Almost in Mass. A short walk from Granville Mass. But the food I grew up on was mostly Lithuanian.

S.Belle
04-01-2011, 05:08 PM
sis i hope u are using a halal marshmallow fluff bc marshmallows contain gelatin

in north carolina cornbread is ALWAYS on the table..or near by somewhere

Ingredients

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup shortening
Directions

1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the milk, eggs and shortening; beat for 1 minute. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 425 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until bread is golden brown and tests done.
My dad is from Nigeria so we have Peanut Stew, Spinach Stew,...this thread is making me hungry ;D

Spinach Stew

2 small onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons oil
2 tomatoes, peeled, and sliced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 pounds fresh spinach, chopped,
OR
2 small packages frozen spinach
1 teaspoon salt
2 chili peppers,
OR
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 tablespoons peanut butter

PREPARATION:

In a heavy skillet or stew pot, saute onions in moderately hot oil until golden. Stir in tomatoes and green pepper. After a minute or so, add spinach, salt and hot pepper. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Thin peanut butter with several tablespoons of warm water to make a smooth paste. Add to the pot. Continue cooking for another 10 - 15 minutes, stirring frequently, and keeping a close watch to prevent burning. Add small amounts of water as necessary so that the stew doesn't stick to the pot bottom. Serve with rice or a stiff porridge.

Little_Lion
04-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Corn syrup, sugar syrup, vanilla flavoring, and egg whites is what is used to make fluff, no gelatin. :)

moonseo
04-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Lets post some of our favorite recipes from our home areas. I'll start with one of my favorites. You can cut this in half or mix it up and freeze half.

BINGHAMTON FAMOUS SPIEDIES

5 lbs. cubed meat, chicken or pork (I also like lamb and beef)
2 c. oil
1/2 c. vinegar
2 tbsp. oregano
4 tsp. pepper
4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. basil
Pinch rosemary, garlic, onion salt
2 tsp. paprika
1 loaf sliced Italian bread

Place meat in large bowl. In separate bowl mix all other ingredients except bread. Pour mixture over meat. Marinate several hours or overnight in fridge. Skewer 4 to 5 cubes of meat on each kabob stick. Grill. Wrap a slice of bread around the cooked meat and pull off the skewer. Enjoy as sandwich or serve meat without bread.

Quran Tutor:
we are providing Online Quran Reading we have qualified Quran Tutor and we are providing Best services in the World. teachingquran.com

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!