/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is this an OK place to work?

Pak-istan786
04-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

My mum works in a British secondary school, she is a cooking/chef assistant, which means she has to help prepare some of the lunchtime dishes. She helps mainly with non-pork items, i.e. non halal chicken, lamb. The school also does halal food aswell, so she makes the halal chicken too. The school has facilities to ensure there is no cross contamination and she assures everyone the food is OK should they ask. My question is: Is it OK for her to prepare the non-halal foods e.g lamb and chicken dishes? She says she avoids preparing the pork dishes as much as possible. I was researching on this on the net, and i read some opinions saying its OK. Imam Abu Hanifa( may Allah be pleased with him) said that it's OK to prepare such things so long as it is with the intention NOT to promote sin. This was inferred from the Hadith about the 10 Persons( I think) involved in haraam will be commiting a sin, if you are aware of that Hadith. So my mum obviously wouldn't go out telling everyone 'yeh it's OK to eat non-halal food' so I think her intention here is clear. Is her job OK for her?

A similar situation applies to me, I work at a care home part time, and it is an English care home. So if I have to very occasionally serve a non-halal dish at lunchtimes or dinner ( only serving, not preparing or promoting it as being suitable for muslims) is that job allowed for me? There are some other muslims carers there too. I mean I always thought being a carer is quite an admired job, even if it's for the non-Muslim elderly? I don't work at lunchtimes, I just wash the dishes almost all the time( I'm a kitchen assistant but this is almost all i do, except for serving a few plates occasionally). So is this job suitable for me and the other muslim carers?

What is the opinion on Imam Abu Hanifa's narration? There was also another scholar who held the same opinion, I think it was Imam Mohammed?? Though I don't know who that person is specifically.

Jazak Allah for your answers

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
04-01-2011, 12:13 PM
wa alaykum us-Salaam

since im not qualified to give a fatwa i will advise that if it is possible and if you feel uncomfortable dealing with non halal food preparations, then try not to deal with that type of food but work on something else in the same workplace...like maybe cleaning for example.. i mean just to avoid whatever you are uncomfortable with but still be employed at the same place....i hope that makes sense.

Pak-istan786
04-01-2011, 09:47 PM
ok can anyone tell me whether it is haraam to cook non halal food e.g non halal chicken and lamb dishes?

I read on a few sites that Imam Abu Hanifa ( May Allah be pleased with him) interpreted the well known hadith( about the 10 categories of sinner) as: If you're intentions are not to disobey Allah SWT and you're not promoting sin, then it is Makruh but not unlawful. Also, I read about this issue too that as long as you are not the CAUSE of a sin ( I.e if you were not there, that sin wouldnt have been carried out), then again it would be regarded as just Makruh, due to indirectly assisting in a sin. Because If my mum wasn't being the chef assistant, then someone else would be. Therefore the cause of the sin is the people who design the menu's in this case.

I also read that as long as the sin is NOT in the ACTION ITSELF, then again it would be regarded as Makruh due to indirectly assisting in a sin. Hence why I'm asking is it a sin to cook non halaal food in general, you're not going to consume it. There was an example I read saying it is akin to squeezing grapes for wine, the action itself is not a sin and you're not doing it with the wilful intention of disobeying Allah( i.e. you wouldnt promote wine drinking to others nor would you promote consumption of non halaal food to others, in my case), you're only doing it to earn a reward/wage, as is the case of a transporter of Alcohol. In this case it would be makruh but not unlawful, is that correct?? Wouldn't it be the same case for someone who cooks non halaal food, so long as this action itself is not a sin, which is what my question is?

JazakAllah, Also any clarification on this issue would be greatly appreciated

Pak-istan786
04-01-2011, 09:53 PM
***********/forum/Topic49689.aspx - if you scroll down to post 3 that explains where I'm coming from in regard to my situation

therevival.co.uk/forum/general/2028 - if you scroll down to the post that says 'renting proeprty to those who will sell alcohol, or deliver pizzas with pork' that explains where I'm coming from too

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pak-istan786
04-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Sorry for the first link the asterisks are supposed to say 'y.a.n.a.b.i.com' dont know why it wont write that in

tigerkhan
04-03-2011, 06:17 AM
bro y dont u ask some authentic scholar. i hope it will be more helping insh.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!