/* */

PDA

View Full Version : language

Sunnie Ameena
04-01-2011, 05:49 PM
What is the difference between Urdu and Arabic? And when I convert to Islam, do I pray in Arabic or Urdu? I want to buy lessons from Rosetta Stone, but want to make sure I learn the correct one, and does anyone know if lessons are usually offered at the Mosque? Thank you for any help. Sunnie

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
04-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Hi Sunnie,

Arabic is the language of the Quraan. So you'd pray in Arabic. Urdu is a language that's used in the sub-continent.

Little_Lion
04-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Sunnie: before you purchase a program, you may wish to take a look at some of the many free programs that are already offered, or some of the more cost efficient ones. There's several free programs specifically for learning the Arabic in the Qur'an (perhaps some folks who have tried several can recommend some over others, insha'Allah), for example. http://www.madinaharabic.com/ is a free online program that goes VERY in-depth. For conversational Arabic I have been using http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Arabi...688276&sr=8-50 I'm very happy with it, especially since it also includes regional dialects.

You'll find a lot of people on Muslim boards do speak Urdu, which is commonly spoken in Pakistan and parts of India. It's a beautiful language, and you'll find yourself picking up bits of it, especially as you start being able to read Arabic script.

IMHO I would not get Rosetta Stone. It is designed more for the traveler in mind and I have heard some people have a difficult time figuring out exactly what the program is asking for or providing, sometimes . . . for example, is the word provided supposed to be for "horse", which is the picture it might show, or is it "running", or "animal"? Research some other avenues first, would be my advice, especially since Rosetta is awfully expensive. :(

LavaDog
04-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Don't get rosetta stone, its only good for learning languages with the latin alphabet. Learning arabic form rosetta stone is the equivalent of learning old english. But if you want to try them out don't waste your money just follow the directions and it should work fine.

Links removed - please do not post links to torrents

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Little_Lion
04-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Are pirated torrent links allowed here? O.o

Dagless
04-01-2011, 09:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
for example, is the word provided supposed to be for "horse", which is the picture it might show, or is it "running", or "animal"? Research some other avenues first, would be my advice, especially since Rosetta is awfully expensive. :(
I have no idea why they don't write the word underneath! Yes it is expensive but you could just download it if you were so inclined. Maybe try both? Some book and real life stuff for Quran Arabic and then some Rosetta for picking up a few conversational words?

Azim285
04-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Urdu is the language used in insia and pakistan as mentioned... Arabic is the language of Islam so it is important that you learn it for better understanding. However there is the modern arabic and the calssical arabic which is the one used in the qur'an and hadith. So you would benefit more if you learn classical arabic first so that you may be able to understand the quran better.

Zuzubu
04-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Arabic is language of heaven, urdu is sum indian language, which the pakis used.

Sunnie Ameena
04-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Thank you for all the advice. I have ordered a Quran and I am anticipating it arriving. Sunnie

User29123
04-13-2011, 05:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sunnie
What is the difference between Urdu and Arabic? And when I convert to Islam, do I pray in Arabic or Urdu? I want to buy lessons from Rosetta Stone, but want to make sure I learn the correct one, and does anyone know if lessons are usually offered at the Mosque? Thank you for any help. Sunnie

Depends on the mosque and obviously where you live, but when I was taught it was all free but we never learned the Arabic language just the Qur'an and how to perform salah.

User29123
04-13-2011, 05:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LavaDog
Don't get rosetta stone, its only good for learning languages with the latin alphabet. Learning arabic form rosetta stone is the equivalent of learning old english. But if you want to try them out don't waste your money just follow the directions and it should work fine.

A. That is stealing I think

and

B. I don't think your allowed links to illegal content!

Danah
04-14-2011, 11:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sunnie
This is just reminded me of an American friend I know who reverted to Islam at the age of 15 and had some difficulty to pray in Arabic since the language was totally new to her, but she was very determined to learn and she made it at the end.

May Allah guide you to the right path sister.

Sunnie Ameena
04-15-2011, 01:38 AM
I will contact the Mosque near my home and ask them about classes. Thank you all for the information. Sunnie

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!