/* */

PDA

View Full Version : O Allah... what does the O mean?

Human_Being
04-01-2011, 07:57 PM
What does the word O mean when ppl say O Allah? An what does O Allah mean?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
04-01-2011, 10:00 PM
:sl:

O is used before the name of a person or thing being formally addressed. You use the "O" to address someone directly. And you call on them by that word.

E.g: "O Ahmed, where is your mother?"

"O Allah, grant me paradise"

The Arabic word for "O" is "Yaa". So you would say e.g. "Yaa Allaah" as we do in Arabic when calling on Allah or making du'aa to Him.

In modern English it doesn't tend to be used much, though in Arabic "Yaa" is used a lot.

Allah uses Yaa in the Qur'an too, to address certain groups of people e.g:

Yaa ahlal kitaab (O people of the book)

Yaa ayyuhannaasu (O mankind)

Yaa banee Aadama (O children of Adam)

Yaa ayyuhallatheena aamanu (O you who believe)

Hope that helps a bit.

Ghazalah
04-01-2011, 10:05 PM
^Couldn't have explained it better. :)

Human_Being
04-02-2011, 12:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah

O is used before the name of a person or thing being formally addressed. You use the "O" to address someone directly. And you call on them by that word.

The Arabic word for "O" is "Yaa". So you would say e.g. "Yaa Allaah" as we do in Arabic when calling on Allah or making du'aa to Him.

In modern English it doesn't tend to be used much, though in Arabic "Yaa" is used a lot.

Hope that helps a bit.

I don't understand can u plz elaborate what does O actually mean u say where its used but not its definishun

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Insaanah
04-02-2011, 01:25 PM
It doesn't really have a definition, as far as I know. The closest to a simple definition would be, "it is a particle used to call or address someone, and comes directly before the name of the person you want to call or address".

Dagless
04-02-2011, 02:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Human_Being
I don't understand can u plz elaborate what does O actually mean u say where its used but not its definishun
It's easier to see in a definition with example:

O
   /oʊ/ Show Spelled [oh], noun, plural O's.
–interjection
(used before a name in direct address, especially in solemn or poetic language, to lend earnestness to an appeal): Hear, O Israel!
(used as an expression of surprise, pain, annoyance, longing, gladness, etc.)
–noun
the exclamation “O.”
Origin:
1125–75; Middle English < Old French < Latin ō

(from dictionary.com)

marwen
04-02-2011, 04:53 PM
When you say : "O Ahmad ! ...", it's like : "Hey Ahmad! ...", but the O is more formal and old english.

Human_Being
04-02-2011, 05:04 PM
I see so its like a not-rude and proper respectful way of sayin "hey"

Woodrow
04-02-2011, 06:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Human_Being
I see so its like a not-rude and proper respectful way of sayin "hey"
Far from it. It is a title of high respect. While it has no English Equivalent "Your Royal Majesty" comes close.

moonseo
04-02-2011, 07:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah

Hope that helps a bit.

This is the great way of telling about "O" this is a best definition

Human_Being
04-02-2011, 08:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Far from it. It is a title of high respect. While it has no English Equivalent "Your Royal Majesty" comes close.
I don't see the difference mate

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!