View Full Version : human heart grown in lab

LavaDog
04-04-2011, 07:11 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...akthrough.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
04-08-2011, 10:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by LavaDog
Interesting story, although the Mail has (as usual) rather exaggerated its headline. A donor heart will still be needed, though, even if they perfect the process, but presumably the great advantage of this is that rejection problems and associated medication regimes can be avoided and, hopefully, the patient will be able to recover totally in time.

CosmicPathos
04-22-2011, 04:22 PM
lol. i am so dumbfounded right now. Wow. man has become god. what a stupid piece of news..

- Qatada -
04-23-2011, 10:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
lol. i am so dumbfounded right now. Wow. man has become god. what a stupid piece of news..

:salamext:

no bro :) stem cells are cells which have the potential to become any organ in the body. You are originally a bunch of stem cells when the sperm and egg meet and reproduce. And then these stem cells form into ALL the different organs of the body.

So it's not 'creating life' or human organs, rather - its merely triggering certain cells to specialize into something they would have already specialized in without human intervention. :)

And its actually good news (if they havn't killed any potential babies). Because through stem cells (which can also be found in i.e. the umbilical cord etc. when its not needed after birth), they can produce cures for many illnesses which people have and couldn't themselves grow. I.e. some people need kidneys. So scientists can use stem cells to produce kidneys (alhamdulillah), for people who require them.

So its a good thing, insha' Allah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ramadhan
04-23-2011, 10:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
So it's not 'creating life' or human organs, rather - its merely triggering certain cells to specialize into something they would have already specialized in without human intervention.

Judging from Mad_scientist tone, I think he meant his comment to be sarcastic.

CosmicPathos
04-26-2011, 03:22 PM
yes, I was in a sarcasm mode

Yes, of course it is good to regenerate cardiac myocytes from stem cells. I have to look into this with more detail though because from what I remember myoblasts (progeintor cells in muscles) had limited potential of division. But of course stem cells are totally undifferentiated so there is greater potential, not sure about details. need to do some reading on this.

Zafran
04-26-2011, 05:03 PM
salaam

as its the daily mail I'm not even going to bother reading it.

peace

Chavundur
04-26-2011, 08:44 PM
:..)))), They should generate brain firstly for themselves

Chavundur
04-26-2011, 08:44 PM
And this message for 50th

maryambintjared
04-27-2011, 12:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chavundur
:..)))), They should generate brain firstly for themselves
Quoted for truth. ;D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!