/* */

PDA

View Full Version : attending funeral at crematory, permissible or not?

cuezed
04-05-2011, 09:37 AM
aslamualaikum

a non-muslim (sikh) work colleague had lost his young daughter recently. is it permissible for a muslim to attend the funeral which will take place at a crematory?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
04-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Salaam

related fatwa :

Fatwa Question or Essay Title: Can a Muslim go to crematorium to attend the last rites of non-Muslim?

A Muslim should not follow the funeral procession or attend the funerals of a non-Muslim even if he is his colleague. This is for attending the funeral of a non-Muslim--as regards to attending the crematorium, this is even worse, as by attending the burning of the body one agrees to the falsehood that is happening as it is forbidden to burn the body of a dead person.

The answer is referenced by a passage from Ibn Taymiyya (d. 1328 C.E.). Ibn Taymiyya was asked whether or not it is permissible for Muslims who are neighbors of Christians to visit them when they are sick, or follow their funeral procession when they die; and if a Muslim who does is he sinful or not? He replied, "It is forbidden for a Muslim to follow the funeral procession of a non-Muslim, but there is no harm for him to visit him when he is sick, as by doing so there is a benefit of softening his heart to accept Islam, because if he dies as a non-Muslim, he will go to Hellfire, it is for this reason that it is not permissible to pray the funeral prayer on him."

The answer also gives a secondary reference of the opinion of some scholars who sanction the attending of funerals of non-Muslim relatives. The author mentions that there is a report from Ibn Abu Shaybah that Abu Wail said: "My mother died and she was a Christian so I came to Umar and informed him about it, so he told me: "Ride a camel and precede in the procession." However if the deceased is not a relative then it is not permissible to attend his funeral procession or attend his burial. prayer on him."

Note: Ibn Taymiyya is a medieval Syrian jurist following the Hanbali school of thought. He was born in Harran (present day Turkey) in 1263 CE and died in Damascus in 1328 CE. He wrote several treatises covering several topics which included opinions on non-Muslims. This ruling is noteworthy in that Ibn Taymiyya was also strongly was against the borrowing of any rituals and traditions from Christians and non-Muslims.

For different positions, please look under "Funeral Rites, Muslims-non Muslims Relations".*

http://www.islamopediaonline.org/fat...tes-non-muslim

Muslim Woman
04-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Salaam

another fatwa :

Participating in the Funeral of a non-Muslim Relative

a Muslim is allowed and recommended to attend the funeral of his non-Muslim parents and relatives provided
that he/she does not participate in any of the religious rituals.

In response to the question you raised, the European Council for Fatwa and Research issued the following Fatwa:

"Islam orders that parents be treated kindly and graciously even if they are non-Muslims. Almighty Allah says: “Your Lord has decreed that you worship Him and that you be kind to parents…” (Al-Isra': 23) Allah Almighty also says: “Consort with them in the world kindly…” (Luqman: 15) Islam also exhorts people to observe and maintain good relationship with kith and kin.

The obligation of kindness and good relationship is emphasized on the occasions of joy and merriment as well as on the occasions of difficulties and afflictions, the greatest of which is death that brings relatives together when they are bereaved of one of them. Man intrinsically tends to express his feelings towards the deceased, whether a relative or a close acquaintance. Therefore, we read in the authentic hadith on the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) visited the grave of his mother and wept and caused those who were with him to weep, and said: "I asked my Lord to allow me to ask forgiveness for her, but He refused to given me permission. Then I asked Him to permit me to visit her grave and He gave me leave. So, visit graves for they remind one of death.” (Reported by Muslim and Ahmad and the compilers of Sunan except At-Tirmidhi)

Moreover, Islam calls for respecting any person, whether a believer or a disbeliever, in his/her lifetime and posthumously. It is reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim in an authentic hadith that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) stood up when a Jewish funeral proceeded in front of him. Somebody informed him that the dead person was a Jew. The Prophet replied: “Is it not a soul?”

Now, the soul of a father, a mother or a close relative is entitled to more respect. Therefore, a Muslim may attend the funeral of his non-Muslim parents or one of his non-Muslim relatives. He may attend the religious ceremonies held for the deceased in churches and synagogues, provided that he does not participate in the prayers, rites and other religious activities. He may also attend the burial. In all that, his intention should be to do the duty of kindness (to parents) and good relationship with kith and kin, and sharing the misfortune with the family and strengthening the relationship with relatives, and avoiding what may lead to estrangement if he fails to attend such occasions."

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: http://www.ecfr.org

Dr. Salah Sultan, President of the Islamic American University and Professor of Islamic Jurisprudence, Cairo University, adds:

"A Muslim should attend the funeral of his non-Muslim parents just as a courteous gesture without participating in any of their rituals, for Islam has set certain rituals to be performed in funeral service; this leaves no room for any innovations. By attending, one shows that Islam is keen on maintaining relations. Allah Almighty says: " But if they strive with thee to make thee ascribe unto Me as partner that of which thou hast no knowledge, then obey them not. Consort with them in the world kindly…" (Luqman: 15)

Birr (doing good) is a right a Muslim owes a fellow Muslim and non-Muslim as well. If it's a duty for a man to sustain his non-Muslim parents, then it is his responsibility to attend their funeral prayer and accept people's condolences as a righteous deed towards parents."

Allah Almighty knows best.

Read more: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...#ixzz0cJ2DsOTw

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!