View Full Version : My Brother the Islamist

Dagless
04-05-2011, 03:45 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._the_Islamist/

Did anyone catch this? Thoughts?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Perseveranze
04-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Honestly looks like they've made Islam look like some cult and this guys on a "rescue" mission I take it lol?

Anyone seen it?

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-05-2011, 05:52 PM
^No i doubt anyone has seen it, because it says 'Coming soon' on the site/page :-\

Revert 2010
04-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Salaam, I know that brother and have spoken to him on a few occasions he's a really nice guy : )

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dagless
04-05-2011, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pєαяℓ σf Wιѕ∂σм
^No i doubt anyone has seen it, because it says 'Coming soon' on the site/page :-\
That means it's coming soon on iplayer. I watched it last night on tv (and thought some others may have too). It wasn't a great documentary but it was very interesting because I hadn't seen views like this on a personal level. There were a few things in the program I hadn't even heard of (eg. shaking hands with unbelievers using the left hand), let alone seen someone doing.

LavaDog
04-05-2011, 06:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Revert 2010
I know that brother and have spoken to him on a few occasions he's a really nice guy

In the trailer he says he only shakes hands with non muslims with his left hand because they are not clean.

Fivesolas
04-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Link said the video is not available in my area. Stinkin' brits...make it available or this yank is gonna hop the pond and slap you. lol

Perseveranze
04-05-2011, 07:07 PM
"He thinks women should cover up"

"He's no ordinary Muslim"

All Muslims and even some modest people think that... K, not going to watch this documentary, I see where it's going.

Maryan0
04-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Why is nothing available in my area?:raging:
Is there somewhere else to watch this?
Salam

aamirsaab
04-05-2011, 07:43 PM
I watched it last night. I found it interesting, but unfortunate that the brother was taught incorrect information. It's very easy to take advantage of people who have just joined a religion and I think that's what happened with the brother in question. Eff Anjum Chaudry; hope he goes back to Sudan!

I did read the film maker's blog entry regarding the program on the bbc3 website, which shed some more light on the situation - worth a read if anyone has watched it.

LauraB
04-05-2011, 07:46 PM
I saw this.. interesting but I didn't agree with some of the things he was saying (but i guess that is life.. everyone has their own view of things).. especially about the part of muslims not befriending non muslims - I have read the quaran and have not interpreted it as this. Some of the words in arabic can't be translated in to english - in english the word is "not to be friends".. in the arabic is says "not to be allies".. i.e. in war! I would share the youtube clip I have of Sheikh Yusuf Estes explaining this but I'm not allowed - you can type into google.. "yusuf estes being friends with non muslims"
I hope new muslims or people interested into coming to islam are not put off by this tv program!

Maryan0
04-05-2011, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fivesolas
Link said the video is not available in my area. Stinkin' brits...make it available or this yank is gonna hop the pond and slap you. lol
I think I found it on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz5c4NtmbCA

Salahudeen
04-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Didn't catch all of it but, as I was watching it, I thought if a non Muslim was watching this, he/she would get a very bad impression of Muslims, and maybe think Muslims' are intolerate people who dislike/hate anyone who isn't Muslim. And that Muslims are the kind of people who will be kind to your face but inside they hate you really because your non Muslim.

Maryan0
04-05-2011, 08:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
Didn't catch all of it but, as I was watching it, I thought if a non Muslim was watching this, he/she would get a very bad impression of Muslims, and maybe think Muslims' are intolerate people who dislike/hate anyone who isn't Muslim. And that Muslims are the kind of people who will be kind to your face but inside they hate you really because your non Muslim.
I'm watching the second part on youtube and there's a part where the group is passing out flyers and one of the brothers literally smacked a man for giving him the flyer back. I can only imagine what a non-muslim who watches this would think when I'm disgusted watching this as a Muslim. But this doc does show that this convert brother is a part of minority group of Muslims.
Salam

Fivesolas
04-05-2011, 08:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maryan0
I'm watching the second part on youtube and there's a part where the group is passing out flyers and one of the brothers literally smacked a man for giving him the flyer back. I can only imagine what a non-muslim who watches this would think when I'm disgusted watching this as a Muslim. But this doc does show that this convert brother is a part of minority group of Muslims.
Salam
As Christians, we feel the same way when people in the name of Jesus protest at funerals of fallen soldiers or burn Qur'ans in Florida.

Zafran
04-05-2011, 09:48 PM
As Christians, we feel the same way when people in the name of Jesus protest at funerals of fallen soldiers or burn Qur'ans in Florida.
Yep I think religion can definitly have that type of effect on people.

The program was good in that showed Anjam chadury and what his gang preaches - I just cant understand how people can stay in his group - looking at the guys they were all preety young maybe they might grow out of it.

Cabdullahi
04-05-2011, 10:25 PM
MI5 agents to stir up trouble and islamophobia, so that the British government can use the boogeyman to carry out their plans.....

Anjum choudary the wine bibber

If this guy is so dangerous....why does he get so much air time.....why does he come on talk shows.

If the government is so concerned about the youth adopting 'extremist views' and 'fundamentalism' then why not block anjum choudary from speaking on television or even better just lock him up somewhere........if the government fears that the youth will become Islamic militants why dont they give other 'moderate' Islamic speakers a platform where they can address the youth.

GuestFellow
04-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Salaam,

I'm gonna watch it for the lulz. I love the BBC sometimes, it makes me laugh.

EDIT:

Watched 8 minutes... Anjum Chaudary...dangerous? LOL I'm more likely to get killed in my driving lessons.... o_o

Maryan0
04-06-2011, 03:15 AM
It's a shame that such small groups are given so much attention when the majority who speak out against them arent.
Salam

Ansariyah
04-06-2011, 06:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maryan0
I'm watching the second part on youtube and there's a part where the group is passing out flyers and one of the brothers literally smacked a man for giving him the flyer back.
I think its actually the other way around.

Rhubarb Tart
04-06-2011, 06:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
MI5 agents to stir up trouble and islamophobia, so that the British government can use the boogeyman to carry out their plans.....

Anjum choudary the wine bibber

If this guy is so dangerous....why does he get so much air time.....why does he come on talk shows.

If the government is so concerned about the youth adopting 'extremist views' and 'fundamentalism' then why not block anjum choudary from speaking on television or even better just lock him up somewhere........if the government fears that the youth will become Islamic militants why dont they give other 'moderate' Islamic speakers a platform where they can address the youth.

wow He looks so different. :hiding:

I think the brother in question (the video) was being cold hearted:skeleton: esp concerning the hand shaking. wth?

Maryan0
04-06-2011, 07:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah

I think its actually the other way around.
The man was drunk apparently and threw the flyer given to him in the brothers face and the brother smacked him from what I saw? I could be wrong.
I mean it's obviously wrong for the man to have done that but the brothers are trying to bring people to Islam even if it is their own strange version and I dont think responding to someone in that way helps their goal. Jehovah witnesses get doors slammed in their faces all the time and they dont respond in such a manner. If you're proselytizing be prepared for some people to be rude (not that it is justified).
Salam

Rhubarb Tart
04-06-2011, 08:01 PM
My Brother The Islamist: Dealing with the shock and hurt
Post categories: Documentaries, My Brother The Islamist

Robb Leech | 10:21 UK time, Monday, 4 April 2011

I first found out that Richard, my step brother, had become an Islamist in a newspaper article. My initial reaction was one of disbelief - it had to be someone else, or a mistake...but it wasn't. Rich was the newest recruit of a man dubbed by the media the most dangerous man in Britain, Anjem Choudary.

Robb Leech and his brother Rich, now known as Salahuddin in My Brother The Islamist
In some respects the decision to make a film, My Brother The Islamist, was an easy one; I was an aspiring filmmaker and before my eyes was an incredibly topical, fascinating and unique story that I felt a responsibility to tell. But on a personal level, it was much more difficult. It was one thing telling a story, but to be deeply involved with the very emotional core of that story... I knew it would be a fine balance between the role of filmmaker and the reality of being part of a family so profoundly affected.

Luckily, the family were supportive. None of us knew anything about these sinister jihadists who Rich now regarded as brothers, or what they believed in, or even what Rich was like, now he had changed his name to Salahuddin and was calling for Sharia law across the UK. I wanted to get to the bottom of things and although the situation was extremely sensitive and upsetting for the family, I think they understood that making a film was my way of doing this, and if what I discovered on my journey could go some way to lift the ominous dark clouds of the unknown, they would stand behind me.

Twelve months later and I feel that the film, despite the emotions it has brought to surface, has gone a long way to lift those dark clouds. We can now see Rich in broad daylight, well almost. He may still hold the same views and dream of the total destruction of the west, but at least we have an insight and feel we can now engage with this distant world in which he and his brothers inhabit.

There were moments of real shock and hurt, such as when Rich told me he wouldn't shake my hand because I was a dirty kafir or when I watched as he and the brothers publicly burned the American flag on the anniversary of 9/11. But since the documentary, there have been moments of real hope too. I recently met with Rich after he had been given the rare opportunity of a preview. His feelings were mixed, but after we had finished talking and I had got back into my car, I noticed he was walking back towards me. I switched off the engine and got out. He shook my hand "...sorry about the handshaking thing" he said "I didn't mean to cause offence..." I drove away with a smile on my face; it was comforting to know that things can change, even if only with a fleeting handshake.

Here is the blog.

Cabdullahi
04-06-2011, 08:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106

Here is the blog.
This guy,his brother and Anjum choudary are all hype....shows like these serve a purpose....to frighten the masses

GuestFellow
04-07-2011, 12:27 AM
:sl:

I decided to watch the entire documentary. I saw a clip of the documentary on the BBC and I became curious. The documentary was annoying because so many terms are not defined like Islamism, extremist, radical, etc. It confused me and gave me a headache. Anyway...

I find it laughable that some people consider Anjem Choudary a dangerous individual. It is irrational to believe this man and his group are a threat. If he was a dangerous individual, he would have been arrested. I suspect the government finds him useful. Anjem holds aggressive protests and makes provocative comments. The government then claims that the threat of Islamic extremism is real and use this to justify the current wars and even attempt to violate civil liberties. That said, I do remember the government banning Islam4UK. This was no problem for Anjem. He used to be a practicing Solicitor. It would not have been difficult for him to overcome the ban.

My opinion of Anjem is mixed. I respect him that he used to be a non-practicing Muslim and must have worked hard to become religious. I do disagree with him on several issues. Him and his group are not educating the public about Islam properly. He should be aware that the mainstream media will make it difficult to present the Sharia in a positive light. To make provocative comments, insult soldiers and to burn flags is not helping the current situation at all.

If the Sharia were to be implemented in the UK he needs to compare the British Legal System to the Sharia and highlight its disadvantages. This should not be difficult for him because he has studied UK and EU law. He needs to persuade the public that the Sharia is better than the current legal system. His group needs to be disciplined as well because they are behave like baboons during protest. I was so surprised when one of his members slapped that drunk man. I felt bad for that drunk man. He should have received some help because he could have injured himself or others.

As for Richard, I like him. :p: He reminds me of my cousin. I do think he too judgemental. Correcting other people is fine but I think he needs to be careful not to judge non-Muslims too harshly. I liked how he is trying to spread Islam and he's brave to do it because not many Muslims have the guts to do that in public. He needs to be a little more sensitive to not upset his brother.

Ben was interesting character. Is it me but does it appear that Richard and Ben are related? :skeleton:

As for Robb, I do understand how he is feeling, especially about the left hand issue. I think he needs to find good Islamic book and learn Islam for himself. May Allah guide him to Islam.

EDIT:

Woah...sorry for the big rant. I did not realise I typed up so much...

IslamicRevival
04-07-2011, 04:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
I find it laughable that some people consider Anjem Choudary a dangerous individual. It is irrational to believe this man and his group are a threat.
He is a threat, a threat to Muslims. This guy is spreading his warped ideology and he is damaging the image of Islam
CIA Agent, he certainly is

Cabdullahi
04-07-2011, 10:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lost Identity
He is a threat, a threat to Muslims. This guy is spreading his warped ideology and he is damaging the image of Islam
Thats what i said from the beginning....this guy is coming on talk shows like GMTV....hardtalk...newsnight and he is there saying 7/7 was just??!?! what the hell is that why do they keep giving him air time.

He is getting away with murder and is a very welcome guest on the media and for what reason i dont know?

GuestFellow
04-07-2011, 10:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lost Identity
Salaam,

I meant he is not a threat in terms of national security. Do you have evidence that he is a CIA agent?

Cabdullahi
04-07-2011, 10:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Salaam,

I meant he is not a threat in terms of national security. Do you have evidence that he is a CIA agent?

7/7 The Big Picture 16 - The Anjem Choudary Deception

The maker of this video btw is a non muslim

S_87
04-07-2011, 01:12 PM
is anjum choudary even a sheikh or is he self taught teaching these people his understanding? From what i know he is a lawyer by profession :S

Perseveranze
04-07-2011, 02:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
Think that's the point, on Youtube EDL channels are doing their best to promote the video.

Cabdullahi
04-07-2011, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S_87
is anjum choudary even a sheikh or is he self taught teaching these people his understanding? From what i know he is a lawyer by profession :S
and a MI5 agent!

Zafran
04-07-2011, 03:06 PM
salaam

I dont think hes anyones agent but its people like these guys that get air time.

peace

aadil77
04-07-2011, 04:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Revert 2010
Salaam, I know that brother and have spoken to him on a few occasions he's a really nice guy : )
Wa'Alaykum As'Salam

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but you need to tell him he's mixing with the wrong crew. If you see him again try and guide him to normal islam, their methods for daw'ah only put people away from islam not bring them closer.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!