/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Religion or Islam?

Xander
04-06-2011, 02:41 AM
Which should I study in University? With religion in general course it is an introductory study of the ideas, attitudes, practices, and contemporary situations of the Judaic, Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Confucian, Taoist, and Shinto religious transitions.

With Islamic Religious Tradition it is the faith and practice of Islam: historical emergence, doctrinal development, and interaction with various world cultures.

I want to keep the door open for medical school. A part of medical school is ethics. So I think world religions will be a great course to take because of the global knowledge of religion, however, I have a deep interest with Islam. The Islamic religious tradition course seems to be most appeasing to me, however, I think it is narrow minded. Especially when I may express my interest in understanding how a human will react to irreligious practices when they are religious.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
04-06-2011, 11:22 AM
what is your purpose of learning these religions? out of interest, or...?

I take it that if you learn Islam, then you are looking for authentic teachings?

are you learning in the west or just generally any other place that isnt Islamic by background? if so, i would do some research as to what universities offer the most authentic course because i have heard from reputable people that you may not always be taught the most authentic thing.

im not saying all institutes are bad, but i none-the-less would suggest that you get a course outline/ask people who have studied the same course you intend on enrolling yourself in, and cross check that with a knowledge person (eg an imam) whether or not it is creditable.

Woodrow
04-06-2011, 11:38 AM
From what I understand is that your desire to learn about religions is for the purpose of preparing for med school. not out of any desire to form any personal belief.

If that is correct, the world religion course would be best for you. A Doctor is going to come in contact with patients of many faiths and of no faith. It is good that a doctor have some basic knowledge of many faiths so as not to unintentionally treat the patient in a manner that violates his beliefs.

For the purpose of understanding people I suggest you take the World Religion Course. But it is my prayer that the intro to Islam, you find in it, will start you on the path to learn more about Islam for personal growth.

Xander
04-06-2011, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
From what I understand is that your desire to learn about religions is for the purpose of preparing for med school. not out of any desire to form any personal belief.

If that is correct, the world religion course would be best for you. A Doctor is going to come in contact with patients of many faiths and of no faith. It is good that a doctor have some basic knowledge of many faiths so as not to unintentionally treat the patient in a manner that violates his beliefs.

For the purpose of understanding people I suggest you take the World Religion Course. But it is my prayer that the intro to Islam, you find in it, will start you on the path to learn more about Islam for personal growth.
It is also out of personal interest, but I want to know what would be the best for the medical career as well.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
04-07-2011, 01:36 AM
Peace Xander, this was just passed onto me. I believe it is worth sharing:

format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
Salaam, Woodrow!

I don't have enough posts under my belt to post in the advice section, but if you could review this and if appropriate insha'Allah post it, I would greatly appreciate it. It would go to this thread: http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...ion-islam.html Thank you in advance . . . I know you are busy as a mod, but I figured getting it reviewed ahead of time was better than asking someone else to put their neck on the line.

Xander: One thing that you might consider is, depending on where you are planning to settle for medical practice, is in some areas there are VERY few medical personnel who are familiar with the intricacies of Islamic practices. For patients, it can mean a lot of difficulty in a hospital setting where they are expected to accept male and females in their rooms when they are not completely clothed, when they need help during prayer times, during rehabilitation after a surgery, explaining to the dietary staff what "halal" means (it ain't just ham that isn't allowed!), things like that. Though the issues aren't as varied in a general practice, they are still there.

It's completely up to you of course, but there IS a need out there for medical advocates for Muslims, if you were thinking about taking the classes on Islam. Just thought I might put the bug in your ear. ;)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!