/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh Protests against Modern law

Abdul-Raouf
04-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Bangladesh WOMAN LEADER Hasina's decisions to Modernise Law has triggered protests.

Woman leading a country? Why the people allowed this to happen in a muslim majority country ? :hmm:

__________________________________________________ _______

DHAKA, Bangladesh: Dozens of protesters were arrested and injured in Bangladesh on Monday, reports said, as an Islamic hard-line group enforced a nationwide general strike demanding the installation of Islamic law and the scrapping of a new government policy that gives women equal inheritance rights.

Police, news reports and witnesses said the protesters, mostly students of Islamic schools, smashed vehicles and set fire to a petrol station and attacked a convoy of devotees on their way to an Islamic shrine in southeastern Bangladesh. Police fired tear gas and used batons to disperse protesters in various parts of the country.

Citing police and witnesses, the Daily Star newspaper and ETV station said that nearly 150 people were arrested during the one-day strike that saw schools and businesses shut in the nation’s main cities and towns.

Citing police, the reports said dozens were injured in clashes across the country during the strike, which was organized by the Islamic Law Implementation Committee, a grouping of several Islamic groups and political parties.

Its head, Fazlul Huq Amini, told a news conference later Monday that about 100 activists had been arrested in the capital, Dhaka.
While the strike was called to broadly seek the adoption of Islamic law in the Muslim-majority nation of 150 million people, its specific agenda was the opposition of the government’s new policy on women’s inheritance rights.

According to Muslim family law, women can claim only a quarter of what men get from their parents. Under the government’s new rules, every child inherits the same amount.

In Chittagong district, 135 miles (215 kilometers) southeast of Dhaka, protesters attacked a convoy of about 200 buses carrying devotees to an annual gathering at a local Islamic shrine, leaving about a dozen people injured, the Daily Star reported, citing its Chittagong bureau.
The Islamic Law Implementation Committee usually denounces people who pray and practice religion in any Islamic shrine, saying Islam does not allow worshipping at shrines.

Also in Chittagong, firefighters rushed to a petrol refueling station after it was set on fire by the protesters, the Daily Star said.
In Dhaka, a city of 10 million people, thousands of security officials were deployed to patrol the streets, police said.

The security officials cordoned off the country’s main Baitul Mokarram mosque in downtown Dhaka and set up barbed wire fences near the mosque.
In Dhaka and in a neighboring town, police stopped several processions while the protesters hit back with stones, Dhaka Metropolitan Police official Mozammel Huq said.

The strike came a day after a student was killed and 25 other protesters were injured during a violent clash between Islamic hard-liners and police in western Bangladesh. Those protesters also were demanding the government scrap its new policy that ensures women equal inheritance rights, which they brand as anti-Islamic.

Ahmed Husein, 19, a student at an Islamic school in the western district of Jessore, was shot during Sunday’s clash with police and died instantly. The protesters blamed police for shooting Husein. The police denied responsibility and said some of the protesters were armed.
Amini, head of the Islamic Law Implementation Committee, accuses the government of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina of violating the Qur’an, the Islamic holy book, by introducing the new inheritance policy.

Hasina, however, insists the new rules do not hurt Islam, and says the hard-line group is deliberately playing with people’s religious feelings to destabilize the country.

Hasina’s government says it wants women to have greater rights in employment, inheritance and education.
Despite being governed mostly by secular laws, Bangladesh follows Islamic law in family-related matters, including marriage and inheritance.

Source :

http://arabnews.com/world/article343020.ece
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...=international

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
04-07-2011, 08:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
Bangladesh WOMAN LEADER Woman leading a country? Why the people allowed this to happen in a muslim majority country ? :hmm:
That would be because enough of the people of Bangladesh are sensible enough to judge people on ability rather than their type of genitalia.

Rhubarb Tart
04-07-2011, 08:55 PM
:sl:

I find it ridiculous people actually protest about inheritance for women (and this is not the first Muslim country to do so) which is so minor but never seem to get up in arms about how their culture treat women like rubbish. And why is the government focusing on inheritance when there are far worse issue women in that country face? But i don’t blame them, maybe they were thinking it make them independent of all the ill of that society.

Where is the real outrage? :exhausted

Muezzin
04-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Bangladesh WOMAN LEADER Hasina's decisions to Modernise Law has triggered protests.

Woman leading a country? Why the people allowed this to happen in a muslim majority country ? :hmm:
Because enough people are confident that she is the best person for the job?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
04-08-2011, 12:17 AM
The protesters need to get their priorities straight. This inheritance issue is not the main problem. I heard poverty is a serious issue in Bangladesh and this should be the main issue to be focused on.

I do not mind people protesting but violence does not work in the long term.

CosmicPathos
04-08-2011, 12:20 AM
Its easy for people sitting on IB to give fatwas about bangladesh.

Abdul-Raouf
04-08-2011, 03:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
That would be because enough of the people of Bangladesh are sensible enough to judge people on ability rather than their type of genitalia.
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Because enough people are confident that she is the best person for the job?

But I think.. that enough people are not sensible enough to understand.... why a women cannot lead a prayer gathering in a mosque..why there was no prophethood for women.... and if some one is giving the example of islamic queens - its is not sensible because islam never encouraged kingdom rule... Its Kaliphate only.. where a man is choosen as a Kaliph.

And do not say that... the change in inheritance which the Hasina government is thinking about.. is a minor issue...Because the inheritance law was communicated to us by ALLAH... how can a muslim alter it..that too in a muslim majority country.

If it is hard to keep intact an islamic law (which some say is a minor issue/law) in a muslim majority country... How on earth we are expecting islamic justice..for a muslim..in a non-muslim majority country?

In India...all the Muslim Inheritance issues are taken to the Head Haji ..appointed by the state government and they go by the Shariah - I appreciate that... but not the one happening in Bangladesh.

Abdul-Raouf
04-08-2011, 04:10 AM
^^^ The above comments... never means that - Men are more spiritual than Women...Because Men and Women are equal in Islam...there is no difference in justice ..from ALLAH.

But when it comes to leadership / head of the state .. etc.. Its encouraged to have a man than a woman.

tigerkhan
04-08-2011, 05:13 AM
i think people who have no fear for ahra and they are just this dunia in sight of them, they can do anything, even they had made a woman their imam in salat (this video is avalibale on youtube). but those who fear Allah SWT will always think b4 every action that whether its pleasing to Allah SWt or not ??
being a muslim we have no offense for woman, not kuffars not for any single thing of this world, but we should follow Allah SWT commadments in all these matters. if prophet PBUH had allowed them to go to masjid we will never stop them. but if she go for leading a country we never encourage this bcz allah swt has not allowed this.

Trumble
04-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Could anyone from Bangladesh please clarify one point for me? If these changes are introduced would the new inheritance laws apply in all cases, or only when the deceased does not leave a will? In other words, if they DO leave a will, can they leave money to who they wish in the proportions they wish, as in the UK?

Perseveranze
04-08-2011, 12:38 PM
It's all in the hadith prophecies. End is comming soon.

Woodrow
04-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Bangladesh is quite an interesting nation. As to if it is an Islamic nation or a secular one is a subject for debate. I only know what I read and some things make it appear that it has become quite secular.

Some thought that lead me to that conclusion

The movie industry there:

http://www.fdc.gov.bd/fdc/

The number of soldiers they send for the UN to use world wide:

http://globalcitizenblog.com/?p=2493

What seems to be a lax attitude about alcohol sales:

http://www.bangladesh-travel-assista...ol-bangladesh/

But as I said that is only from what I read, I hope Bangladesh is not as secular as what the media shows it to be. Insha Allah some members either in or from Bangladesh can clarify more as to what degree the country has become secular.

If Bangladesh has become a secular nation, we can not say there is a female leader in an Islamic Nation.

Rhubarb Tart
04-08-2011, 03:17 PM
But I think.. that enough people are not sensible enough to understand.... why a women cannot lead a prayer gathering in a mosque..why there was no prophethood for women.... and if some one is giving the example of islamic queens - its is not sensible because islam never encouraged kingdom rule... Its Kaliphate only.. where a man is choosen as a Kaliph.

And do not say that... the change in inheritance which the Hasina government is thinking about.. is a minor issue...Because the inheritance law was communicated to us by ALLAH... how can a muslim alter it..that too in a muslim majority country.

If it is hard to keep intact an islamic law (which some say is a minor issue/law) in a muslim majority country... How on earth we are expecting islamic justice..for a muslim..in a non-muslim majority country?

In India...all the Muslim Inheritance issues are taken to the Head Haji ..appointed by the state government and they go by the Shariah - I appreciate that... but not the one happening in Bangladesh.
It is a minor issue compared to poverty, illness, forced marriage and violence, dont you think? Maybe you guys would be in a stronger position if you were to look after your women...

I doubt I will ever see Bangladeshi men or these islamic students protest about violence or forced marriage (both of which goes against Islam) toward their women... nah that is not important as inheritance law. pick and choose that part of islamic law you want to follow. Bangladesh is not the only country with this hypocrisy. I understand it is a cultural value adopted from India? :heated:

GuestFellow
04-08-2011, 04:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106
It is a minor issue compared to poverty, illness, forced marriage and violence, dont you think? Maybe you guys would be in a stronger position if you were to look after your women...

I doubt I will ever see Bangladeshi men or these islamic students protest about violence or forced marriage (both of which goes against Islam) toward their women... nah that is not important as inheritance law. pick and choose that part of islamic law you want to follow. Bangladesh is not the only country with this hypocrisy. I understand it is a cultural value adopted from India? :heated:

Yes, I agree with these protests should include problems such as force marriage, acid burning, poverty, etc. People do pick and choose what part of the Sharia they want. Then again, the inheritance issue cannot be ignored either.

Hamza Asadullah
04-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum, there are issues with every country in this world. Even "democratic" countrys have issues that would shock anyone who hears about them. The only solution to the problem we have in the Muslim countrys is the Sharia Law or the law of Allah. For the of man will NEVER be of benefit to anyone except the elite. The man of law will always be flawed, bias, injust, corrupt, immoral, un-Islamic and devoid of all blessings from Allah.

Therefore the ONLY solution in ALL Muslim countrys is for the establishment of the Shariah and this is what Muslims should protest for NOT for democracy. Democracy is just a front it is not "real" or it does not give "real" freedom to all. Did the people of Britain and America really have a choice whether they should go to war in Iraq or Libya? The congress was outraged when Obama decided to send hundreds of jets to bomb Libya without even informing the congress. You don't see that story everywhere do you? This is just one in countless examples of why democracy is just a front for it has no substance.

ONLY the law of Allah is perfect, complete, just, fair, equal to all and not just the elite, for the benefit of all people and mankind rather than for the whims and desires of the government or elite and the BEST for the whole of mankind.

A true Shariah will NEVER allow such un-Islamic cultural practices from Hinduism like forced marriages etc. It will allow EVERY person their right to choose whatever partner they want to maryy. The Sharia would give women back their rights, freedoms and honour which have been taken away by dictatorships and secular "puppet goverments".

Why do you think our Muslim countries are in the state that they are in today? It is because they are puppet governments which follow their puppet masters rather than obey Allah. As long as our countries have these puppets that obey other than Allah then they will conform to whatever the puppet masters tell them and continue to disobey Allah and eradicate the laws of our creator in place of the laws of the enemys of Allah.

That only means one thing= further liberalistation and eradication of Islamic laws, morals and values from our countries.

May Allah rid our countries of these puppets and dictators who only aim to eradicate any shred of Islam from the law of the country. Ameen

Rhubarb Tart
04-08-2011, 04:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow

Yes, I agree with these protests should include problems such as force marriage, acid burning, poverty, etc. People do pick and choose what part of the Sharia they want. Then again, the inheritance issue cannot be ignored either.
I know it cannot be ignored. To me it is so minor compared to the problems mentioned. Also they don’t have a leg to stand on if they don’t look after their women do they? The reason why women get less is because they have their male relative or husband to look after them.

I don’t think this protest is for Islam, it is for themselves (the men). They will never protest passionately about the issues I pointed out. Some kuffar will do it instead even if it for their own interest.

I get angry at this kind of thing. Then I make excuses that it is poverty and it makes ignorance worse. Maybe that is why they don’t address these problems. I don’t know..

GuestFellow
04-08-2011, 05:40 PM
^ It is very normal for people to be worried about less serious issues. In the UK, some people are scared of the Niqaab and want to see it banned because of terrorism. What these people forget is that your more likely to get killed in the streets due to a rise in violent gangs.

S<Chowdhury
04-15-2011, 04:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Bangladesh is quite an interesting nation. As to if it is an Islamic nation or a secular one is a subject for debate. I only know what I read and some things make it appear that it has become quite secular.

Some thought that lead me to that conclusion

The movie industry there:

http://www.fdc.gov.bd/fdc/

The number of soldiers they send for the UN to use world wide:

http://globalcitizenblog.com/?p=2493

What seems to be a lax attitude about alcohol sales:

http://www.bangladesh-travel-assista...ol-bangladesh/

But as I said that is only from what I read, I hope Bangladesh is not as secular as what the media shows it to be. Insha Allah some members either in or from Bangladesh can clarify more as to what degree the country has become secular.

If Bangladesh has become a secular nation, we can not say there is a female leader in an Islamic Nation.
Ok lets go back into History of Bangladesh originally it was planned to be a Secular Country the Dhormo Niropekhota in Bengali, is one of the fundamental principles that drove the Bengali nationalist movement and the liberation of Bangladesh from pakistan and the creation of Bangladesh, it was dropped when in 1975 Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the country's founder was assassinated. The military regime that followed under Zia brought a more islamic bangladeshi nationalism with the principle of " "Absolute trust and faith in the Almighty Allah shall be the basis of all actions"."

Right now in Bangladesh the 'Awami' league the government in power, the foreign minister is Hindu and the current legislation is seen as Anti-Islam principles. In my own opinion the Awami league shouldnt been in power the Bangladesh is rife with corruption when it comes to elections to politics to even the police you have to pay to get anything done nothing new here. Though we have many flaws as a country including most of the country is underdeveloped and subjected to flooding every year, there is one thing we are proud of and its the fact though the majority is Muslim the country has allowed other denominations to be tolerated and we can work side by side free from fear or resentment, and publicly allowed to celebrate their religion and beliefs. This is one of the great things about Bangladesh and if we lost this i think it would be a great shame to upset such a harmonious balance.

R Khan
04-15-2011, 05:56 PM
The never ending tale of Bangladesh..

*facepalm*

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!