/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is Islam's view on Space, and the human race expanding into it?

LoJack
04-07-2011, 07:26 PM
i'm a non muslim (sorry), and also a writer. i'm writing some science fiction, and i need to get a feel for how Muslims, and Islam in general feels about where the human race might fo in the long run, if we push off this particular rock, and have the run of (if nothing else) the solar system, would Islam travel with it? would it support colonisation of other bodies, or not?

thanks for any feedback on this question, regardless of how brief, but it's kind of important for me to get an idea of how my lead character would feel about it.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
04-07-2011, 08:36 PM
theres nothing wrong space exploration and all that stuff, theres malaysian muslim astronauts involved in all that too

Muezzin
04-07-2011, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LoJack
i'm a non muslim (sorry),
That's fine.

and also a writer.
Awesome.

i'm writing some science fiction, and i need to get a feel for how Muslims, and Islam in general feels about where the human race might fo in the long run, if we push off this particular rock, and have the run of (if nothing else) the solar system, would Islam travel with it? would it support colonisation of other bodies, or not?

thanks for any feedback on this question, regardless of how brief, but it's kind of important for me to get an idea of how my lead character would feel about it.
Well, Islam encourages Muslims to explore all of Allah's creations, scientifically, mathematically etc, so I don't see any reason Islam might discourage space exploration.

Not sure about colonisation. Are we talking 'kill the natives' colonisation, or 'there is no indigenous intelligent life here so let's move in' colonisation?

- Qatada -
04-07-2011, 09:23 PM
chek this out:

http://youthmatters.wordpress.com/20...lim-astronaut/

:)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
LoJack
04-07-2011, 09:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Not sure about colonisation. Are we talking 'kill the natives' colonisation, or 'there is no indigenous intelligent life here so let's move in' colonisation?
neither really, in the context of my story, we're only talking the "local" area, the solar system, say, mars, the moon, possibly further out, but certainly not "outer space".

Muezzin
04-08-2011, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LoJack
neither really, in the context of my story, we're only talking the "local" area, the solar system, say, mars, the moon, possibly further out, but certainly not "outer space".
So, terraforming kind of thing? Sounds good as a concept.

I don't see any ethical issues with that in and of itself (unless the characters are fleeing an Earth that they have grievously polluted, and/or a caste system has developed whereby the rich live off-planet and the poor remain on Earth, Blade Runner-style).

Although, come to think of it, if you are going down the route of terraforming, I suppose one could argue it is Islamically unethical because it would be altering Allah's creations.

Ubeyde
04-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Actually Allah Ta'ala says in the Qur'an the Space is expanding,

...We have constructed the heaven with might, and verily, it is We who are steadily expanding it.... " (Surah 51:47).

It is for this reason, before technogology permitted man to fully understand the Physics behind space, the scientists accepted that the Universe is expanding.

BTW: I study Physics at A2 Level and am doing Space and Astronomy as a particular aspect of the course. There is sufficient evidence that the Universe is expanding.

Also, Physics proves God exists, want to learn more, PM me.

Jazakarallah Khair

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!