/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to achieve Humbleness?

Amat Allah
04-09-2011, 10:51 AM

How to Achieve Humbleness in Your Heart?

Humbleness is the opposite of arrogance, and is an attitude and behavior that Allah and His Messenger (Peace and blessings be upon him)

have commanded us to have. It is also a great tool used to spread Islam to others.

The best way to achieve humbleness in the heart is contained in the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah (Peace and blessings be upon him),

who prescribed many methods to teach his companions how to be humble. We ask Allah to help us all become humble and stay firm on that path. Following are some of the methods and ways of achieving humbleness:

Extending As-Salam (Saying As-Salamu Alaykum, Peace be Unto You)

Abdullah ibn 'Amer said that: a man asked the Messenger of Allah (Peace and blessings be upon him), "Which part of Islam is the best?
" He said, "To feed the food (to the poor), and to extend As Salam to those whom you know and whom you do not know."

[Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

Therefore, extending As-Salam to the old, young, rich, poor, noble, common folk, stranger and relative,
will open one's heart to achieve humbleness and will shut the door closed for arrogance and tyranny.

Concerning the permissibility of men greeting women with salaam and women greeting men, it is only permitted when there is no fear of Fitnah.
The Muslim woman who fears Allah must do her duty towards Allah, and not speak to non-Mahram men in ways that may raise their hopes or tempt them.
if she needs to go to a shop or a place where there are men, she should be modest and cover herself, and follow Islamic etiquette. If she speaks to men,

she should speak in an honorable manner in which there is no Fitnah and nothing dubious.

Muslims Should Hate That People Stand Up For Them

Mu'awiyah bin Abi Sufyan once entered a house where Abdullah ibn Az-Zubayr and Abdullah ibn 'Amer were sitting.
Abdullah ibn 'Amer stood up while Ibn Az-Zubayr did not. Mu'awiyah said:

"O ibn 'Amer! Sit down, for I heard the Messenger of Allah (Peace and blessings be upon him) say:
'Let those who like for people to stand up for them take their seats in the Fire.'"

[At-Tirmidthi]

This Hadith prohibits the Muslim to like that people stand up for him when he meets with or passes by them.
Furthermore, this Hadith teaches Muslims to enjoin righteousness and forbid evil, for Mu'awiyah criticized Abdullah ibn 'Amer for standing up for him.

Sitting Wherever One Finds Space

Jabir bin Samurah said:

"When we used to come to the Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him), we would sit wherever we find space.
" Also, Ibn Umar narrated that the Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him) said, what translated means,

"One of you must not remove a man from his place and sit in it. However,

(those already sitting should) make space and spread up (leaving adequate space for newcomers)."

[Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

Also, Ibn Umar used to avoid the place which a man vacated to make space for him.
Therefore, one should sit wherever he finds space, whether in the center of the audience or not.

Also, those who accept it that first-comers have the right to the best seats, because all Muslims whether rich or poor are equal,

will achieve humbleness in their hearts and deed, Allah willing.

Prohibiting The Muslim From Claiming Purity For Himself

Allah said, what translated means,
So ascribe not purity to yourselves. He knows best him who fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him.

[Noble Quran 53:32]

Mohammad ibn 'Amr ibn A'ta' said that he named his daughter Barrah (the righteous one).

However, Zaynab bint Abi Salamah said that the Messenger of Allah (Peace and blessings be upon him)

prohibited using this name when she was called "Barrah." He said: "Do not ascribe purity to yourselves.
Allah knows the righteous ones among you." The companions asked, "What should we call her?" He said, "Zaynab."

[Muslim]

Prohibiting Praising People in Their Presence

Abu Musa said:
"The Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him) heard a man praising another man

and saying good words about him while he was present with them.

He said, 'You have destroyed or broke the back of the man!'"

[Al- Bukhari & Muslim]

Also, Abdur Rahman bin Abi Bakrah said:

that a man was once mentioned in the presence of the Messenger of Allah (Peace and blessings be upon him).
Another man said good words of praise about him. The Messenger of Allah (Peace and blessings be upon him) then said, what translated means:

"Woe unto you! You have beheaded your friend. If one of you has to praise, let him say, 'I think this and that' (about the praised man),
if he thinks that he deserves it, 'And his reckoning is with Allah,' and let him not ascribe purity (to anyone)."

[Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

Also, Ibrahim At-Taymi said that his father said:
"We were sitting in the presence of Umar when a man praised another man to his face.
Umar said, 'You 'Aqartahu (crippled him), may Allah do the same to you.

'" Furthermore, Abu Ma'mar said that a man stood up and praised one of the leaders,

then Al-Miqdad started throwing sand in his face, and saying,
"The Messenger of Allah (Peace and blessings be upon him) ordered us to throw sand in the faces of the praisers."

[Muslim, At-Tirmidthi, Abu Dawud & ibn Majah]

From these Hadiths and stories, we conclude that the Messenger of Allah (Peace and blessings be upon him)

prohibited praising others, especially while they can hear their praise.

This is because such praise may encourage the praised persons to overestimate themselves,
especially if they were people of position or wealth.
Also, such praise may lead the praised person to be arrogant, which may lead to laziness and a lower number of good deeds,
for one will depend on what he heard of praise and ignore acquiring more good deeds.

Khadejah Jones

Share Islam Team

ShareIslam.com

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
yas2010
04-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Salaam Sister

Another beautiful post. May Allah (swt) bless you for sharing.

Amat Allah
04-09-2011, 11:38 AM
And May Allah The Most Exalted bless you and every single moment of your life my sweetheart Ameeeeeeen

Abdul-Raouf
04-11-2011, 04:34 AM
Jazakallah khair to you sister.

Important and Beneficial Post....Alhamdulillah... Alhamdulillah.. Alhamdulillah..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amat Allah
04-11-2011, 07:26 AM
wa Iyakum my respected brother and May Allah reward you with Al Firdaws without being reckoning Ameeeeeen

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Jazakallaahu Khaair

A beneficial reminder for us all.

And Alhamdulilaah!

Flame of Hope
04-14-2011, 06:09 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Amat Allah
We ask Allah to help us all become humble and stay firm on that path.
This is something that we need to remind ourselves every single day. It isn't something you read one time and then forget about it.

To be humble and remain firm on that path is the key to salvation....

REMEMBER: Only the humble can enter Paradise.

With that in mind, I recommend reading this article as often as possible.

Amat Allah
04-16-2011, 05:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pєαяℓ σf Wιѕ∂σм
Jazakallaahu Khaair A beneficial reminder for us all. And Alhamdulilaah!
Wa Iyaki habibati .May Allah love you Ameeeen

format_quote Originally Posted by Flame
This is something that we need to remind ourselves every single day. It isn't something you read one time and then forget about it. To be humble and remain firm on that path is the key to salvation.... REMEMBER: Only the humble can enter Paradise. With that in mind, I recommend reading this article as often as possible.

yes indeed my sweetheart...May Allah keep us firm on His right and straight path always and forever Ameeeeeeen

Flame of Hope
04-17-2011, 08:48 PM

It is reported on the authority of Ibrâhîm b. Al-Ash’ath that he said, “I asked Al-Fudayl b. ‘Ayyâd – Allâh have mercy on him – about patience (al-sabr) in the face of adversity and he said, ‘It is to not broadcast it.’

I asked him about asceticism (al-zuhd) and he said, ‘Al-zuhd is to be content with what you have, and that is what it means to be rich.’

I asked him about prudence (al-wara’) and he said, ‘It is to stay away from what is forbidden.’

And I asked him about humbleness (al-tawâdu’) and he said, ‘It is when you submit to the truth and comply no matter who you hear it from; even if it was from the most ignorant of people, you would be required to accept it from him.’”

Ibn ‘Abd Al-Barr, Jâmi’ Bayân Al-‘Ilm wa Fadlihi Vol. 1 p498.

----------------------

Points I noted from the above saying:

HUMILITY - The Truth is the truth, no matter who utters it.

PATIENCE - when you are going through hardship, but you do not complain or talk about it.

ASCETICISM - when you are content with whatever you have.

PRUDENCE - when you stay away from that which is doubtful and forbidden.

Amat Allah
04-18-2011, 02:05 AM
May Allah love you for riching this thread with your precious valuable posts my sweetheart always and for ever Ameeeeeen

May Allah make us from Assaabireen, Azzaahideen, Al Wari`een, Al Mutawaadi`een and Al Muh`sineen all of us Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

love you for the sake of Allah my dear and precious sister ...^^

innocent
04-18-2011, 03:02 PM
How beautiful. JazakAllah khair.

Reflections
04-18-2011, 03:27 PM
May Allah grant us true humbleness..Allahoma ameen..BarakAllahufeeki for sharing ukhti

Flame of Hope
04-18-2011, 05:46 PM

Humbleness......it's a sign of complete intelligence. Here's a beneficial article I found worth reading again and again:

-------------------------

The Ten Signs of Man of Complete Intelligence:

1) He does not have takabbur.

2) He walks on the path of guidance firm and steadfast.

3) He is content with whatever Allah SWT has provided him.

4) He is not miser in spending in the way of Allah SWT of whatever excess he has been provided be of money or food or clothes or any property.

5) In place of worldly ranks or status or fame, he likes and prefers humbleness.

6) He prefers being faqeer and miskeen, that is humble one rather than being a honored and respectful one. Prophet SAW used to pray, ‘Ya Allah let me die among the miskeen.’ Miskeen means prefering a humble life without being greedy for name and fame.

7) Be a student of knowledge through out his life and doesn’t feel bad or lower in obtaining knowledge. If he doesn’t know anything, he asks and thinks that as prosperity.

8) When someone seeks good counsel or knowledge from him, he doesn’t feel tight.

9) He considers others good deeds, even a smaller one as something very big and considers his own deeds even be in large number as very very negligible.

10) People are considered to be of two kinds in this world: 1) Good and superior ones and 2) Evil and wretched ones. Whenever he sees the superior one, his heart breaks and he gets strong yearning and desire that he was like him and becomes righteous like him and whenever he sees a wretched one, he thinks that may be the one whom he considers bad may have some goodness in him that will overcome all his evil and he will surpass him and get salvation while he might get sink in the darkness. In this way, he never looks down at any one.

When all these qualities are obtained in a man, his aql becomes kamil through which he obtains high status in both the worlds and becomes a leader of his time. He becomes a man of Allah SWT looking forward for his mercy and Jannah.

Let Allah SWT grant us all these qualities. Ameen ameen thumma ameen.

-----------------------

source

Flame of Hope
04-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Humility is not something that comes naturally to most, especially in today’s busy competitive society. Everyday, people see others taking advantage of a situation trying to get ahead or make themselves look good and it really doesn’t do anything for them. A humble person is someone who does not boast or try to impress themselves on you. They are generally quiet, meek and typically not self serving. This is a good set of attributes to be seen but is a very difficult trait to be known for since being humble involves so many behaviors in our lives and is really the opposite of the way most people are living their lives.

Question your own Humility

Do you take an opportunity to claim credit for things that you are involved in?
Do you like to be right and to prove what you know?
Maybe you think your job role is more important than the next person or that you are smarter than them?
Are you capable of handling things on your own without help from others?
Are you proud of your accomplishments or do you ever brag about things you do or can do?
If you answered YES to ANY of these questions maybe you are not as humble as you think.

Being Humble - Action Steps to be More Humble

Thank Others

Make sure you take every opportunity you have to thank others for what they do and what they help you with. People don’t accomplish anything on their own and it always takes help from others. Thank them for this help. Whether its your boss, spouse, friends, or stranger, thank others for whatever you can. Being humble in other’s eyes means you don’t claim your own accomplishments, and instead, thank others for how they helped, what they did, how they encouraged or supported you, etc. There are always things to thank others for. Find someone each day and thank them for something.

Redirect Praise

Redirecting praise is useful to be more humble and modest. If you don’t accept praise outright and instead, redirect it to others who helped you, trained you or even allowed you to do something, you pass on that praise to others without taking the credit directly. Accepting praise doesn’t really make a person less humble, but down playing your significance or importance on something certainly makes you more humble. Knowing and sharing the fact that you were not the reason for some accomplishment goes a long ways in the eyes of others. This is especially important in work groups and it drastically reduces the risk of anyone thinking you take all the credit. If you deflect or redirect all praise and credit given you to others involved and truly believe the fact that you weren’t that significant, you further develop a humble attitude.

You Don’t Have to Be Right

A humble person never tries to out do someone else and make themselves look better or smarter. This includes having to be right. When you try to prove you are right, or even when you say something simple like "I know", you are showing dominance over the other person. Instead of wanting to be right, even if you know something already, simple say, "Interesting, thanks for that." A humble person knows only one thing, that they are NOT always right! If you have an idea to present or a solution to offer, don’t try to convince others that its the right solution. Say something like, "I have an suggestion, although I’m not sure its the right thing to do, since I’m often wrong, which is to [blah blah]…" Make an effort to being humble using these types of suggestions so you don’t come across to others as always having to be right.

It Wasn’t You Who Got You Here

People are constantly striving for success and they often feel very proud of themselves for getting to where they are at. Humble people are not proud and know that they didn’t get themselves here. They know that others helped them, encouraged them and assisted them to get to where they are now. If you recognize this and always see how others help you out, you can be more humble by sharing that fact and not taking credit yourself. This is similar to the first one on the list, where its important to thank others.

Don’t Be First

First is not necessarily a bad thing, however being first can come across as competitive, self promoting or demoting of others. None of those things are common for a humble person. In a group or workplace, if you don’t be first to speak, participate or get involved, you give others a chance to be first. This can be very humbling for several reasons. You may see that others have better or smarter ideas than you had in the first place, you’re not the only one capable of the task or message and that you aren’t necessarily needed as much as you would like to think you are. These are very humbling realizations so if want to learn to be more humble, next time you have a chance to be first, don’t!

Appreciate Everything

So many things around us are not our doing, we often forget to see our own insignificance since we get so focused on our own lives and accomplishments. Well to be humble, its importance to recognize and appreciate all the wonderful things around us. Appreciate the place you live, the health, wealth and happiness you experience or have opportunity for. Appreciating things adds greatly to a person’s humility and knowing that we have so much to be thankful for builds on many of the other items in this list. Look around in nature and at the beauty of life sometime and just take it in for a few moments. Think of the world and the awesome creation that God has provided you, and its impossible NOT to be humbled. Show this appreciation in your life and spirit and it will certainly help you be more humble.

Listen More Than You Speak

Similar to the item above, "Don’t Be First" it applies to listening in a more broad sense. Listening more than you speak can be very powerful and if you use this you can learn many things about others and practice humility in how you respond. It gives you time to think and provides time for others to share their own opinions. Listening more can be very respectful to others, and you can learn a lot more by listening to others than you can by speaking.

Don’t Judge Others

Last but not least, a very important aspect of being humble is to not judge others. Judgment is a dangerous thing and you can’t stay open minded, receptive to ideas, empathetic or appreciative of others if you are judging them or their ideas. Everyone is different and have different ideas and when you judge those, you are really showing that you have some overseeing significance or power to make a judgment call, which you certainly don’t if you want to be a humble person. So, to be more humble, practice leaving others to show themselves over time and to let their ideas play out without judgment. Definitely, make an effort not to express judgment and don’t talk about people behind their backs. This is just another form of judgment and shows dominance, so don’t judge others, and you will be more humble.

source

Endymion
04-19-2011, 06:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by
Muslims Should Hate That People Stand Up For Them

Mu'awiyah bin Abi Sufyan once entered a house where Abdullah ibn Az-Zubayr and Abdullah ibn 'Amer were sitting.
Abdullah ibn 'Amer stood up while Ibn Az-Zubayr did not. Mu'awiyah said:

"O ibn 'Amer! Sit down, for I heard the Messenger of Allah (Peace and blessings be upon him) say:
'Let those who like for people to stand up for them take their seats in the Fire.'"

[At-Tirmidthi]

This Hadith prohibits the Muslim to like that people stand up for him when he meets with or passes by them.
Furthermore, this Hadith teaches Muslims to enjoin righteousness and forbid evil, for Mu'awiyah criticized Abdullah ibn 'Amer for standing up for him.
I use to stand up for every single person i meet to shake hand with them.I feel really bad when someone elder or younger come to meet me and i stay sit but for no doubt,no one is more humble than the Messenger of Allah SWT.When He SAW command us not to stand up,we should not stand up to welcome someone :statisfie
From today,i decided to practice this one,Inshallah :statisfie
Jazakallahu Khyran for the reminder,my dearest Sister :statisfie

Amat Allah
04-20-2011, 04:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by innocent
How beautiful. JazakAllah khair.
Wa Iyaki my sweetie May Allah love you honey forever and all the Ummah Ameeeeeeeen

format_quote Originally Posted by Bint Abi
May Allah grant us true humbleness..Allahoma ameen..BarakAllahufeeki for sharing ukhti
Ameeeen to the Duaa and May Allah love you my sweetie always and all the Ummah Ameeeeeeeeen

Humility is not something that comes naturally to most, especially in today’s busy competitive society. Everyday, people see others taking advantage of a situation trying to get ahead or make themselves look good and it really doesn’t do anything for them. A humble person is someone who does not boast or try to impress themselves on you. They are generally quiet, meek and typically not self serving. This is a good set of attributes to be seen but is a very difficult trait to be known for since being humble involves so many behaviors in our lives and is really the opposite of the way most people are living their lives.
Jazakum Allahu khayran honey , May Allah reward ya for every single letter you have posted and be pleased with ya always and forever and all the Ummah Ameeeeeen

format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
Jazakallahu Khyran for the reminder,my dearest Sister
Wa Iyaki my sweetheart May Allah never prevent ya from the light of His Al Mighty Face and all the Ummah Ameeeeeeeeen

Flame of Hope
04-20-2011, 06:55 AM
:sl: ukhti,

Jazakum Allahu khayran honey , May Allah reward ya for every single letter you have posted and be pleased with ya always and forever and all the Ummah Ameeeeeen
Wa iyyakum, sister!

But the words I posted are not mine. Heh heh. :D I merely selected parts of an article I liked.

I'm doing the same thing with the next article I'm going to post.........

Flame of Hope
04-20-2011, 07:03 AM
Being humble and having humility is opposite of being arrogant and having arrogance (kibr). Humility leads one to the pleasure of Allah and it causes one to enter into the paradise, whereas arrogance leads to the displeasure of Allah and it leads one to the Hellfire.

Humility of the Prophet (saws) :

Some examples of the Prophet's humility:

One of the clearest examples of his humility, is that the Messenger of Allah (صلي الله عليه و سلم ) would sit in the Masjid with his companions and if a stranger or visitor came to the Masjid he wouldn't know who the Prophet was until he asked, "Which one of you is Muhammad"?

This is because he would not sit, dress, or be treated in a way that distinguished him from the people. Unlike the way leaders and famous people are treated when they're with the people. Whenever a stranger enters into their majlis, it becomes quite clear to the stranger this person is noteworthy amongst the people.

Anas Ibn Maalik would pass by a group of young boys playing and he would extend to them a warm and gracious greeting (salaams). When he was asked, "Why do you do this"? He replied, 'The Prophet ( صلي الله عليه و سلم ) use to do it'. Bukhari/Muslim

Abdullah ibn Amr ( رضي الله تعا لي عنه )said: 'The Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم ) entered upon me so I gave him a pillow (to sit on) made out of skin and filled with date palm fibers. The Prophet ( صلي الله عليه و سلم ) (refused to sit on it) and he choose to sit on the (bare) ground, and he left the cushion between him and myself'. Bukhari/Muslim

Abu Saeed Al-Khudri ( رضي الله تعا لي عنه ) said; 'I entered upon the Messenger of Allah (صلي الله عليه و سلم ) and I found him praying on a (normal) mat, and he was making Sajdah on it'. Muslim

Aisha ( رضي الله تعا لي عنه ) was asked, 'What did the Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم) use to do when he was in the privacy of his home'? She replied, 'He use to be in the service of his family'. He used to repair his sandals and sew/patch his own thobe and he would milk the sheep. Bukhari

Anas ibn Maalik ( رضي الله تعا لي عنه ) said the Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم ) performed the Hajj upon an old camel that had a saddle that cost about four dirhams or less, and then he said, "Oh Allah, this is a Hajj (that I'm performing) wherein there is no showing off nor notoriety sought". Tirmizi/Ibn Majah

Anas ibn Maalik ( رضي الله تعا لي عنه ): 'I never saw a man seeking the ear of the Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم ) except that the Messenger of Allah would never turn his head from him, until the man turned his head first. Nor did I ever see a man take the hand of the Prophet, except that the Messenger of Allah would never let his hand go, until the man was the first to let the Prophet's hand go'. Bukhari

Abu Masood ( رضي الله تعا لي عنه ) said: 'A man came to the Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم ) and he began to speak to him, and he was seized by fear (of the Prophet). Upon witnessing his demeanor the Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم ) said to him: "Take it easy and calm down, for verily I am not a king, but instead I am only the son of a Quraishy women who use to eat dried salted meat strips". Ibn Majah

From the clearest and most manifest examples of his humility is when he entered Mecca as a conqueror. It is a well known historical fact the Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم ) escaped from Mecca fearful for his life, as the disbeliever's of Quraish were hot on his trail in pursuit of him to do away with him once and for all.

Ten years later when he returned to Mecca as a conqueror and triumphant, he had every right to enter the sacred precincts of Mecca with his head held high as he had been given victory over his enemies, and they were totally defeated and subdued. Had he entered into Mecca in this way, he would not have been blamed! But instead, he entered into Mecca with his head held down, barely touching the neck of his camel and glorifying Allah by saying Allah Akbar, for the victory that he was given.

Prophetic Hadith about humility:

Abu Hurayrah ( رضي الله تعا لي عنه ) narrated that the Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم ) said: "…and no one will exercise humility for Allah's sake, except that Allah will raise him up". Muslim

He also said, "Verily Allah loves the servant who has Taqwah, and he's rich (content), and he's hidden (i.e. not known by the people because of his humility)". Muslim

Abdullah Ibn Abbas ( رضي الله تعا لي عنه ) said: I heard Umar Ibn Khattab ( رضي الله تعا لي عنه ) say on the minbar, the Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم ) said: "Don't over exaggerate with me as the Christians over exaggerated with Ibn Maryam (صلي الله عليه و سلم ). Verily I am His slave, therefore say, 'Abdullah' and the Messenger of Allah". Bukhari

A lesson from Umar Ibn Khattab ( رضي الله تعا لي عنه ):

'Urwah ibn Zubair ( رضي الله تعا لي عنه ) said: 'I saw Umar carrying a large leather water canteen on his shoulder. I said to him, 'Oh Amir-ul-Mu'mineen, you shouldn't be carrying that'. Umar replied by saying, 'A delegation came to Medina and I saw their obedience to me, and some 'nakwah' entered into my heart and I wanted to destroy it'.

Everyone knows the strong personality of Umar ( رضي الله تعا لي عنه ) and how he instilled fear in the hearts of men. And yet, when a small and minute amount of pride (nakwah) entered into his heart, he hurried in an attempt to destroy it before it destroyed him.

This is the way of the righteous people. Those who know the virtues and importance of humility, and at the same time they know the danger of falling into 'kibr'.

The Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم ) said: "Whoever possesses an atom's weight of 'kibr' will not enter into the paradise ". Muslim

He also said, "It is a right on Allah, that nothing is raised in the Dunyah (in stature or esteem), except that Allah will bring it down". Bukhari

If we're trying to seek the benefits of the Dunyah or the Hereafter, then part of our success lies within our ability to humble ourselves in our quest. For instance, if a person is searching for knowledge, he must humble himself in his struggle and efforts towards that goal.

Abdullah ibn Mu'tazz ( رضي الله تعا لي عنه ) said: 'The humble student is the one who gets the most knowledge, just as the lowest places on earth collect the most water'

As for the Hereafter, Allah says, "That is the home of the Hereafter, We assign (it) to those who do not desire exaltedness upon the earth or corruption. And the (best) outcome is for the righteous". Al-Qassas Ayat 83.

May Allah grant us the Tawfeeq to humble ourselves and may He protect us from the fitnah of 'kibr' and it's evil results.

source

-------------------

sherz_umr
04-20-2011, 02:07 PM
i dont get it..v should not stand up when we see anybody? I thought not standing up and greeting was bad...maners??
I also compliment/praise people..iv noticed that they stick to good qualities when i do that..you know,reinforce gud behaviour? Like i said 'wow man, u did realy wel,i was surprisd..din no u wr ths gud!' nd next thing you know, ths friend started doing work more honestly and sincerely..
Or dint i understand this right?

Amat Allah
04-21-2011, 06:19 AM
i dont get it..v should not stand up when we see anybody? I thought not standing up and greeting was bad...maners??
no my sweetheart, we should never stand up for others to glorify them for a position or some rank they may have but it is ok to stand up for your guests to welcome them and for old people out of respect my dear...^^

what the prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) hated is the act of those whom seeing themselves better than others loving others to stand up for them to feel greatness and see themselves the best ....may Allah never make us from them Ameeeen

I also compliment/praise people..iv noticed that they stick to good qualities when i do that..you know,reinforce gud behaviour? Like i said 'wow man, u did realy wel,i was surprisd..din no u wr ths gud!' nd next thing you know, ths friend started doing work more honestly and sincerely..
you can do this when you want to encourage others; its absolutely ok my sweetie but if you knew that that compliment would affect that person badly; like: filling his/her heart with pride or make him/her arrogant or may affect their sincerety; then its better not to say praising words but only make Duaa for that person like saying: May Allah bless you and give you success Ameeeen and you may say : Ma shaa Allah...

and here the prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) didn`t want us to praise others good deeds (especially the acts of worship) so, they do not become decieved of what they have done and offered and then later be neglected and pride may enter their hearts then changes them to something bad and arrongant...

in shaa Allah you got what I posted honey ^^

'Aleena
04-21-2011, 06:59 AM

Beautiful thread :wub:

It's a reminder that I may need to read again and again...

Amat Allah
04-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Wa Alikum Assalaam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh honey ^^

May Allah beautify every single moment of your precious life with His love and rememberance and all beautiful things always and forever in this world and in the hereafter and all the Ummah Ameeeeeen

al Amaanah
04-22-2011, 04:10 PM
:salamext:

jazaaki Allaaho khayr!

:w:

Flame of Hope
04-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Humility is a strange thing. The minute you think you’ve got it, you’ve lost it.

Flame of Hope
04-22-2011, 10:40 PM
If you are aware of your humility, then you are arrogant. - Ibn Ata'illah

Flame of Hope
04-23-2011, 10:33 PM
The noble scholar becomes humble in gaining knowledge, while the ignoble matches his increase in knowledge with an equal share of arrogance. [ Ali radi Allah anhu]

Flame of Hope
04-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Four Traits

Imam Ghazali (ra) mentions in his Ihya’ that Imam Junaid (ra) said,

"Four traits lift a person to the highest ranks, even if their works and knowledge are little:

(1) Forbearance (hilm)

(2) Humility (tawadu`)

(3) Generosity (sakha’)

(4) Good character (husn al-khuluq)–and this is the perfection of faith."

[Ghazali, Ihya' `Ulum al-Din]

Flame of Hope
05-02-2011, 04:32 PM

The need for humility is very much brought out in this humorous video....... ;D

Amat Allah
05-12-2011, 03:26 AM
Jazaki Allahu khayran my dear for you constant precious tender Ameeen

Flame of Hope
05-12-2011, 07:02 AM
Jazaki Allahu khayran my dear for you constant precious tender Ameeen
Wa iyyakum sister. I was going to bump up this thread but glad you did it before me. :)

Well, here's another saying to add to this thread:

A humble knowledge of oneself is a surer road to God than a deep searching of sciences.

Flame of Hope
05-12-2011, 07:34 PM
To see God everywhere is essentially this: to see that we are not, that He alone is. If, from a certain angle, humility can be called the greatest of the virtues this is because it implies in the last analysis the cessation of egoity, and for no other reason.

Frithjof Schuon

Flame of Hope
05-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Those who Allah loves are granted three things--------the overflowing generosity of the river, the illumination of the sun, and the humbleness of the earth.

[Bayazeed al Bustami ra]

Flame of Hope
05-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Come to realize your own qualities and He will lead you to know His.
Come to realize your weakness and He will lead you to His strength.

[Ibn Ataillah ra]

ProudMuslimSis
05-12-2011, 08:22 PM
[Muslim, At-Tirmidthi, Abu Dawud & ibn Majah]

From these Hadiths and stories, we conclude that the Messenger of Allah (Peace and blessings be upon him)

prohibited praising others, especially while they can hear their praise.

This is because such praise may encourage the praised persons to overestimate themselves,
especially if they were people of position or wealth.
Also, such praise may lead the praised person to be arrogant, which may lead to laziness and a lower number of good deeds,
for one will depend on what he heard of praise and ignore acquiring more good deeds.

Does this refer to not extending compliments to others because I have noticed that people, children especially, are expecting more and more compliments for things that they do instead of just taking joy from their good deeds.

I can see how this expectation of external approval can negatively effect simple kindness, productivity, and creative.

al yunan
05-12-2011, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
I use to stand up for every single person i meet to shake hand with them.I feel really bad when someone elder or younger come to meet me and i stay sit but for no doubt,no one is more humble than the Messenger of Allah SWT.When He SAW command us not to stand up,we should not stand up to welcome someone :statisfie
From today,i decided to practice this one,Inshallah :statisfie
Jazakallahu Khyran for the reminder,my dearest Sister :statisfie
Assalamu Alaikum sister,

If I may I would recommend that you explain your action as to avoid been thought of as lacking in manners, for in todays world it's western manners that come first.
Masalam

al yunan
05-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Does this refer to not extending compliments to others because I have noticed that people, children especially, are expecting more and more compliments for things that they do instead of just taking joy from their good deeds.
I can see how this expectation of external approval can negatively effect simple kindness, productivity, and creative.
Assalamu Alaikum ProudMuslimSis,

Should you add Mashallah to a reasonable compliment for example you say to a child "Mashallah that's a beautifull drawing you made" that's okay or Subhanallah that was good story and well read is fine; or to an adult "Mashallah that dress really suits you".
In other words as long a the complement has Allah S.W.T's name and it's not extravagant it's fine.
Should one say or you are the smartest person I've ever met, now that's wrong.
In some cultures if you pay a compliment without Allah S.W.T's name they get very aggressive as they might think you're giving them the evil eye.
Like one says oh what a lovely baby and the baby starts to vomit or develop a fever you're are going to be in trouble.
This is no superstition either there are Ahadith about the evil eye.
It pays to stick with the Sunna.
I'm sure you're also familiar that a lot of compliments are false and placing Allah S.W.T's name to them makes one think again right ?
I hope my answer helps you.
Masalam

Flame of Hope
05-20-2011, 08:20 PM

Humility is a strange thing. The minute you think you’ve got it, you’ve lost it.
This is strange. But the same thing applies to sincerity. The minute you think you've got sincerity, you've lost it.

A wise person said, ""Whoever sees sincerity in his sincerity, his sincerity is itself in need of sincerity. The destruction of every sincere person lies in his sincerity to the extent that he sees sincerity in himself. When he abandons seeing sincerity in himself he will be sincere and purified."

Flame of Hope
05-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Humility

by Sohaib Baig

Humility: A quality mastered by few, though claimed by many.

Muslims believe that ultimate judgment comes only from Allah Himself. This gives Muslims boundless relief and freedom – for as long as they are following Allah’s injunctions with wisdom and sincerity, they know not to fear the opinions of others.

Thus if society regards a believer as the ‘lowest of the low,’ they remain unperturbed because they believe Allah’s Judgment to be the Highest. This prevents us from becoming arrogant because we have absolutely no proof of our own success.

Even if a person appears to be on the path of success outwardly, their internal condition may differ. And though one may know his or her internal state of humility, it cannot guarantee remaining steadfast in the future. Even if a person does remain steadfast in humility, they know the Final Judgment is still entirely up to Allah Himself, Who is Free to do what He wills.

Thus, this uncertainty of how we will be judged deprives us from arrogance; it keeps us in a constant state of yearning for Allah’s mercy and forgiveness.

Lastly, recognizing Allah’s ultimate authority helps Muslims refrain from passing judgments on others as they realize that their own judgment is completely useless. We can never assume superiority to another even in the face of blatant external signs of hypocrisy or arrogance. All we can do is provide advice for both internal and external reform, for nobody knows what lies in our futures.

However, Muslims are instructed to show contempt for pure evil and to stand tall against tyranny. If a person is meek before evil and stands down, then their humbleness (or fear) will only feed the arrogance and allow that evil to grow stronger.

Just as there is virtue in being humble, there is evil in being arrogant, for it challenges the foundation of the Islamic worldview that is based on equity and equality.

Hence the saying of the Prophet (saws): “No one who has an atom’s weight of pride in his heart will enter the Garden.” (Muslim)

Anyone who is cognizant of his own vulnerable position in the universal scheme of things will find it difficult to become arrogant. However, this does not guarantee complete immunity.

Human beings as part of their very nature are susceptible to societal pressures.

If society praises us, our humility is threatened as we may attribute ourselves with a newfound greatness – which may delude us into believing in our own superiority and the higher probability of a successful future, because we are ‘better.’

Once a person believes in a greater likelihood of future success, they begin to worry less about it, something which can have devastating consequences. The more jealously we pursue our goals, the greater chance we have of achieving them. Arrogance numbs our concern and desensitizes us to all the shortcomings we may have, thus leading the way to disaster.

To shield ourselves from such pride, we are instructed to abstain from ostentation and all needless displays of our accomplishments. We have to be extremely careful about exposing our good attributes although we should mention our achievements if it promotes more good among others.

Feeling internally happy at one’s accomplishments on the other hand, is also permitted within certain bounds: so long as it does not lead to excessive self-amazement, arrogance, or forgetfulness of who allowed the success. In fact, we should recognize Allah’s blessings upon us, as this allows us to show gratitude to Allah, and pray that we successfully utilize them for even greater good.

Another commonly misunderstood concept is the relationship between dignity and humility, as some may confuse dignity with arrogance and humility with a lack of dignity.

Only by looking at the examples of our great elders can we understand the subtle differences between them.

Thus we find Umar (ra) admonishing a person walking with exaggerated meekness. Yet he had no problem wearing patched-up clothes and letting his slave ride the camel as they entered Jerusalem, even as the city’s Christian leaders awaited him.

In essence, our elders succeeded in maintaining both dignity and humility at the highest levels.

The two qualities were certainly not mutually exclusive, because dignity lies in giving honor to the soul created by Allah, while humility lies in downplaying one’s own actions and accomplishments.

The litmus test for this unique state of awareness is the fact that they were never above admitting their mistakes and never belittled others.

There is also no concept of self-confidence in Islam, for all power descends exclusively from Allah.

If a man believes he creates success alone, he is deluded, his actions worthless; but if he believes in Allah’s power, he is empowered, his actions weighty.

Humility therefore becomes a matter of faith in Allah; the more faith one has in Allah’s protection, the more powerful he feels – and the more humbled he is by this awesome power.

The Prophet (saws) himself was the greatest creation in the history of creation, yet the most humble of them all. This ’higher’ thinking can explain how the Prophet’s (saws) Companions felt absolutely no fear in challenging the powerful Roman and Persian empires, even as they humbled themselves by expressing reluctance at being assigned leadership roles within the Islamic state. Thus, despairing emotions are naturally foreign to a soul wholly immersed in love for the Divine.

A saying by the Sufi master Ibn Ata’ullah captures this sentiment eloquently: “One of the signs of relying on one’s own deeds is the loss of hope when a downfall occurs.”

Once a believer submits himself entirely to the Divine will, he will never feel a loss of confidence, or degradation for his Source of Confidence will never disappear:

“…Truly no one despairs of Allah’s Soothing Mercy, except those who have no faith” (Qur’an, 12:87).

And once one realizes he draws all his strength from Allah, Who can retract it at any time, his self-pride will automatically vanish:

“Say, ‘O Allah , Owner of Sovereignty, You give sovereignty to whom You will and You take sovereignty away from whom You will. You honor whom You will and You humble whom You will. In Your hand is [all] good. Indeed, You are over all things competent.’” (Qur’an, 3:26).

Humility is an extremely difficult quality to acquire and master, and like the battle to acquire sincerity, it remains a dynamic struggle throughout our lives.

Much of it stems from its ironic nature: how on one hand humility demands one to desist from self-amazement and lower oneself, but it only truly manifests itself in the most amazing people. Similarly humility destroys all superiority complexes, but only truly superior people can manage to accomplish that.

Ultimately, only firm believers in Allah are powerfully proficient at remaining humble.

Excerpt....(source)

Flame of Hope
05-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Humbling Thoughts.....

Indeed you ought to realise that a good man is he who is good in God’s sight in the mansion of eternity; and that is something unknown to man, postponed to the End.

Your belief that you are better than others is sheer ignorance.

Rather you ought not to look at anyone without considering that he is better than you and superior to you.

Thus if you see a child, you say, “This person has never sinned against God, but I have sinned, and so he is better than me”

And if you see an older person, you say, “This man was a servant of God before me, and is certainly better than me”

And if he is a scholar, you say “This man has been given what I have not been given and reached what I did not reach, and knows what I am ignorant of; then how shall I be like him?”;

And if he is ignorant, you say, “This man has sinned against God in ignorance, and I have sinned against Him knowingly, so God’s case against me is stronger, and I do not know what end He will give to me and what end to him”,

If he is an unbeliever, you say “I do not know; perhaps he will become a Muslim and his life will end in doing good, and because of his acceptance of Islam something of his sins will be taken away, as a hair is taken from dough; but as for me, God is our refuge [or God grant that it does not happen] perhaps God will lead me astray so that tomorrow he will be among those brought near to God and I shall be among the punished”

Imam Ghazzali (rahimullah)-Bidayatul Hidayah

'Aleena
05-22-2011, 02:58 PM
I love this thread:wub:

Jazakallahu Khairan Flame for all the beautiful articles.

Flame of Hope
05-22-2011, 11:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by k.aleena
I love this thread:wub:

Jazakallahu Khairan Flame for all the beautiful articles.
Wa iyyakum sister! Humility is a critical potion needed in our journey of life. But it's something that we forget and need to be reminded about on a regular basis.

Which is why I keep posting in this thread. lol.

Glad you found the posts beneficial. :)

Flame of Hope
05-22-2011, 11:50 PM

I found a Personal Arrogance Check list written by Abdul Ahmed.

I've changed the title to make it relevant to this thread.

----------------------

The No-Humility Check-list

The kettle only fills the cup when its spout is lowered
A teacher can only benefit others when he lowers himself before Allah."

A person might be arrogant, proud, ostentatious or have elements of those qualities if (PLEASE note I have said MIGHT - make your own decision) if:

1. Reading the above lines makes you roll your eyes or feel uncomfortable that the topic has been brought up.

2. You feel that the majority of the people you speak to have less Islamic knowledge than yourself.

3. You find yourself giving more advice than asking for it, and don't feel that you need any right now.

4. You don't agree that that having the above qualities is a indication of a possibility of arrogance.

5. Think of five people you are almost or absolutely sure have less Islamic knowledge than you. Was that easy for you to do?

5a. Now imagine them correcting you in your Salah, or in something you just said in front of a group of friends. Would your heart feel strange if such a thing happened?

5b. You automatically go into "I know what you do not know" mode whenever you speak to these five people and cannot consider speaking to them as intellectual equals or learning something from them or getting advice from them.

6. You have recently started a sentence in public with "In my humble opinion..."

7. You openly declare your sinfulness in front of people when praised [not to lower yourself in your own eyes, but to show everyone how humble you are], or have strange forced reactions when complimented because you are not sure how to react and want to seem humble before people.

8. Think of a Muslim brother or sister whom you think has said some uninformed things about Islam, but is overall a good person and sincere. Think of someone praising and complimenting that person's knowledge in front of you. This makes you slightly uncomfortable because you think it is undeserved and you have a better understanding.

9. Assume that there is someone who is/was in a position above you in some way shape or form (jama'ah, masjid, work, school). You automatically assume that they got there through some means, not because they are worthy/competent/knowleable but because of shadiness.

10. You can think of at least a few instances where you have been corrected/advised in public and reacted with anger or sarcasm rather than gratitude. It is hard for you take accept advise from people who are younger than you, in your age group, or people who cannot be classified in one or more of the groups listed at the title of this post.

11. Think about all of the places in which you are important: work, Jama'ah, community work, masjids, etc. You feel that if you were to remove yourself from your activities there, that those groups would actually be at a loss, not realizing that if you were to leave - Allah can easily replace you with someone much more qualified.

12. Your Salah (prayer) is faster in private than it is in public.

13. When you read Quran in private, you imagine what it would be like if other people heard you recite.

14. You say things to people you know they will not understand in order to assert your intellectual superiority over them.

15. You automatically assume that you do have such knowledge that you actually have something so deep that some people won't understand.

16. You look at brothers or sisters who are not involved with Islamic work or commuity activism, and feel that you are better than them because you are "useful" to the community while they are not.

17. You are more concerned about making a mistake in a khutbah because of what people would think, as opposed to making a mistake in calling to Allah (swt).

18. When you make a mistake in regular conversation, you find yourself covering up for it by pretending you "knew that..but..."

19. Whenever the reference to sinners is made in the Quran, you don't wonder for a second, "what if that is me?"

20. Whenever a reference is made to those people who speak without knowledge - you do not immediately think of yourself.

21. Imagine that a major community volunteer leadership position has opened for a young muslim adult. It will be the most influential position in the entire city/community and the decisions made in this position will be able to impact thousands of youth and how/where they recieve knowledge about Islam and do youth activities and the ideologies by which they are led.

You cannot think of five people who are two years or more younger than you who should definitely be in this position more than you.

22. A fifteen-year old comes up to you, and tells you that your khutbah/speech/event you organized - sucked. That it didn't connect to him, that you made mistakes in it, and that you should work on your speaking/organizing skills. but he does it in a nice way - without using the word "sucked". What do you feel like? Anger?

23. You think about compliments other people give you and feel happy about them. You find yourself drawing nearer to the people who complement you and farther from the people who do not.

24. You don't think people deserve the effort you put in sometimes.

25. You hear an old person who doesn't know tajwid recite Quran, terribly. You laugh/cringe and think to yourself that you know what he does not know, rather than realizing that he simply was never taught properly. If he is young, rather than seeking to help him or offer lessons, you just shake your head and leave.

26. You think that scholars who don't entirely agree with your teachers/leaders have less of an understanding of Islam than you do; and you've criticized them publicly without explicit permission from your teachers/leaders.

27. It makes you irritated when people assume that you do not know something which you do.

28. The idea that the only reason you have been given what you have been given (quran, islamic work, etc) is because without it you would become the greatest sinner on the earth doesn't really cross your mind. When the time comes for someone to lead any salah and the jama'ah is selecting an imam, you are so used to being pushed up there that you don't even think about it anymore nor think about how many sins you are hiding from the people behind you.

29. Saying "my teacher" fills you up with just a little ounce of pride that you have a teacher, while the person you are speaking to does not.

30. There is a brother wearing earrings, gold chains, the ghettoest clothes imaginable, swearing left and right, listening to obscene music, and always hitting on girls. There is also a sister who dresses in revealing clothes, makes obscene remarks, is always looking for a laugh, always makes sarcasting, biting remarks towards other sisters, and is dating two guys.

In reading the above, a feeling of superiority over them already entered your heart. The idea that perhaps they want to change and might be spending more time asking for forgiveness in secret than we spend sinning didn't enter mind until you read this sentence.

------------------------------

P.S. The lines in blue are the ones I thought we need to be particularly wary of. Of course, you can have your own blue lines..... :D

Amat Allah
05-23-2011, 03:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ProudMuslimSis
Does this refer to not extending compliments to others because I have noticed that people, children especially, are expecting more and more compliments for things that they do instead of just taking joy from their good deeds. I can see how this expectation of external approval can negatively effect simple kindness, productivity, and creative.
you can encourage others my sweetheart; its absolutely ok honey but if you knew that that compliment would affect that person badly; like: filling his/her heart with pride or make him/her arrogant or may affect their sincerety; then its better not to say praising words but only make Duaa for that person like saying: May Allah bless you and give you success Ameeeen and you may say : Ma shaa Allah, May Allah bless you, Alhamdulilah the One Whom blessed ya which such thing...etc

and here the prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) didn`t want us to praise others good deeds (especially the acts of worship) so, they do not become decieved of what they have done and offered and then later be neglected and pride may enter their hearts then changes them to something bad and arrongant... ^^

format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan
Assalamu Alaikum sister, If I may I would recommend that you explain your action as to avoid been thought of as lacking in manners, for in todays world it's western manners that come first. Masalam
Wa Alikum Assalaam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh my respected brother

like I mentioned above:

we should never stand up for others to glorify them for a position or some rank they may have but it is ok to stand up for your guests to welcome them and for old people out of respect ...what the prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) hated is the act of those whom seeing themselves better than others loving others to stand up for them to feel greatness and see themselves the best ....may Allah never make us from them Ameeeen

format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan
Assalamu Alaikum ProudMuslimSis, Should you add Mashallah to a reasonable compliment for example you say to a child "Mashallah that's a beautifull drawing you made" that's okay or Subhanallah that was good story and well read is fine; or to an adult "Mashallah that dress really suits you". In other words as long a the complement has Allah S.W.T's name and it's not extravagant it's fine. Should one say or you are the smartest person I've ever met, now that's wrong. In some cultures if you pay a compliment without Allah S.W.T's name they get very aggressive as they might think you're giving them the evil eye. Like one says oh what a lovely baby and the baby starts to vomit or develop a fever you're are going to be in trouble. This is no superstition either there are Ahadith about the evil eye. It pays to stick with the Sunna. I'm sure you're also familiar that a lot of compliments are false and placing Allah S.W.T's name to them makes one think again right ? I hope my answer helps you. Masalam

Ma shaa Allah, great answer my respected brother. May Allah bless ya , be pleased with ya and reward ya with the best always and forever Ameeeeen

P.S. The lines in blue are the ones I thought we need to be particularly wary of. Of course, you can have your own blue lines.....

^^ according to some of the points above; I am seriously an arrogant slave...

Alhamdulilah that at the end; none knows what inside of others and what their real intentions are but Allah...

inna lellah wa inna ilayhi rajioon...

Flame of Hope
05-23-2011, 08:42 PM

I came up with a Humility Checklist based upon the check list given by Abdul Ahmed......

The purpose of this list is for your own self-evaluation. Hope it helps in some way.

-------------------

The Humility Checklist

1. The subject of arrogance and pride is of great interest to you. You want to know more about it in order to keep yourself safe from it.

2. You feel that the majority of the people you speak to have knowledge that you don't have.

3. You give advice when you are asked for it. And you feel that often times you are in need of advice about a lot of things.

4. It's hard for you to think of five people you are almost or absolutely sure have less knowledge than you.

5. You are not offended when people younger to you, from another culture or background correct you.

6. You thank people if they correct you.

7. You avoid using the words, "in my humble opinion...."

8. You take great care in hiding your sins and you don't make a show of how humble you are by speaking ill of yourself before others.

9. If others are praised or complimented, you are unaffected by it and not resentful. You have good thoughts about the person who has been complimented.

10. You think the best of others and are not suspicious of their intentions when they do good deeds.

11. You do not think of yourself as indispensable. You think there are others who are more capable and better in doing your job.

12. Your salah is long in private and short in public.

13. When you read the Qur'an in private you have no desire that others should hear you reciting it and admire you for it.

14. You say things to people in brief and in simplified terms so that they might clearly understand what you're saying. You don't make a show of your knowledge and you speak to people at their level of understanding.

15. If you have knowledge you desire others to know what you know so that they too might benefit from it.

16. You do not think of yourself as better than others because you are more involved or active in your religion.

17. If you make a mistake in a khutbah you are quick to acknowledge your fault or ignorance.

18. When you make a mistake you are quick to acknowledge your fault, ask for forgiveness, say sorry and make amends.

19. Whenever the reference to sinners is made in the Quran, you think to yourself, "what if that is me?"

20. Whenever a reference is made to those people who speak without knowledge - you immediately think of yourself.

21. Imagine that a major community volunteer leadership position has opened for a young muslim adult. It will be the most influential position in the entire city/community and the decisions made in this position will be able to impact thousands of youth and how/where they recieve knowledge about Islam and do youth activities and the ideologies by which they are led.

You can think of five people who are two years or more younger than you who should definitely be in this position more than you.

22. A fifteen-year old comes up to you, and tells you that your khutbah/speech/event you organized - sucked. That it didn't connect to him, that you made mistakes in it, and that you should work on your speaking/organizing skills. but he does it in a nice way - without using the word "sucked". You feel dismay and thank the fifteen year old for being honest in his feedback regarding your speech.

23. You flee from people who praise you and go nearer to people who criticize you.

24. You hear an old person who doesn't know tajwid recite Quran, terribly. You make excuses for him and think that he simply was never taught properly. If he is young, you seek to help him or offer lessons.

25. You have the utmost respect for scholars and teachers.

26. It does not make you irritated when people assume that you do not know something which you do.

27. There is a brother wearing earrings, gold chains, the ghettoest clothes imaginable, swearing left and right, listening to obscene music, and always hitting on girls. There is also a sister who dresses in revealing clothes, makes obscene remarks, is always looking for a laugh, always makes sarcasting, biting remarks towards other sisters, and is dating two guys.

In reading the above, you decide to mind your own business and be more concerned about your own faults. You feel that they might want to change in future and might be spending more time asking for forgiveness in secret than you spend sinning.

------------------------------

Amat Allah
05-25-2011, 06:37 AM
3. You give advice when you are asked for it. And you feel that often times you are in need of advice about a lot of things.
then how to join Allah commandments and forbid what Allah forbad if waiting for others to request for the Advice...

4. It's hard for you to think of five people you are almost or absolutely sure have less knowledge than you.
I can think of milion and milion people who know not not a lil but anything about Islam around the word that if you asked them what is Islam in your opinion? they would think that it is a trade mark of something...

7. You avoid using the words, "in my humble opinion...."
sometimes the word humbly used out of respect and to let others feel comfortable that none is better than the other and none knows who is better but Allah...

12. Your salah is long in private and short in public.
The salah of the person should never change ever it must be the same whether in private or in public...at the end we worship Allah and fear none but Him ...as a great scholar said that the Salah of the servant of Allah should never be changed whether in private or in front of others...

here you are a story about Ummar Bin Al Khattaab (May Allah be pleased with him)

‘Umar bin al-Khattab went to Syria and Abu ‘Ubaydah was in his company. When they reached a fort, ‘Umar descended from his camel, removed his shoes, placed them on his shoulder and then passed. Abu‘Ubaydah said in astonishment, ‘O Commander of the faithful! You are doing this? I do not wish that the people of this town see you in this condition!’

Umar retorted: ‘O Abu ‘Ubaydah, if other person were to say this saying of yours, I would have made him an example for the Muslims! We were the lowest of all people and then Allah gave us glory by Islam,and if we seek glory in anything other than what Allah has given us, Allah will disgrace us.

the glory is in being a slave and servant of Allah not in being praised by others...and there is no glory ever but with Allah and by Him the Exalted...

May Allah humble our hearts for each other and never make us from the worshipper of this dunya and its pleasures Ameeeeeeeen

it is breaking the heart hearing others praising you and that fills your heart with fear and sometimes drives ya to cry cause you might get decieved and turn to an arrogant and hypocrite person but also you gotta think about the feelings of those who are praising you just out of love and happiness and mean not to cause ya harm; then what the right way to save your soul and be at the same time very respectful and nice with them?

by making Duaa and words of kindness; we may make Duaa to remind others: O Allah make me desreve what they say O Allah never make us arrogant and hypocrite....

and this is a Duaa Abu Bakr (radi Allahu anhu) would make after being praised (some narrations state that it was a duaa of Ali radi Allahu anhu).
It is reported that he would say:

اللهمَ اجْعَلْنِى خَيْرًا مِمَّا يَظُنُّونَ وَاغْفِرْ لِى مَا لَا يَعْلَمُونَ وَلَا تُؤَاخِذْنِى بِمَا يَقُولُون

Allahumma-ja’lni khayran mima yadhunoon wa-ghfir li ma la ya’lamoon wa la tu’akhidhni bi ma yaquloon.

O Allah, make me better than what they think of me, and forgive me for what they do not know about me, and do not take me to account for what they say about me.

The scholars and righteous of the past would find ways to keep this praise away from themselves and remind those around them to not over praise others. This is why we find many narrations where they humiliate or speak lowly of themselves - it is to keep their nafs in check.

May Allah help us all to be His true servants and slaves Ameeeeeeeeeen

Impey
05-25-2011, 09:48 AM
I very much liked the post on humility but as I am new here is it permitted to ask a question about it as I am a bit troubled by it

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-25-2011, 09:51 AM
^yes do ask away..

Amat Allah
05-25-2011, 12:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Impey
I very much liked the post on humility but as I am new here is it permitted to ask a question about it as I am a bit troubled by it

of course you ask whatever you want whether about humility or anything else ...you are welcome my dear anytime so, never let anything stop ya from knowing more and more no shyness no hesitation in shaa Allah, ok?

May Allah lead your way to the path of the endless happiness always and forever Ameeeeeeen

take care of your precious self ...

leaving you under Allah`s sight and care...

Humbly, your sister:

Amat Allah.

Flame of Hope
05-25-2011, 03:45 PM

Jazakallah khair sis for sharing your views........

then how to join Allah commandments and forbid what Allah forbad if waiting for others to request for the Advice...
There's something called unwanted advice. That's what we don't want to give. Advising people, enjoining the good and forbidding the evil has to be done with wisdom. And I know for a fact that unwanted advice is resented by a lot of people. It's also bad manners.

I can think of milion and milion people who know not not a lil but anything about Islam around the word that if you asked them what is Islam in your opinion? they would think that it is a trade mark of something...
The point is not to consider yourself to be more knowledgeable than others. But to have a good opinion about them and to think that perhaps they know a lot more than you do....it's just that they are concealing their knowledge.

sometimes the word humbly used out of respect and to let others feel comfortable that none is better than the other and none knows who is better but Allah...
This word is used in the context.. that you believe yourself to be humble. And if you do so, then you cease to be humble. Better not to use the word at all. There are other ways to express yourself.

The salah of the person should never change ever it must be the same whether in private or in public...at the end we worship Allah and fear none but Him ...as a great scholar said that the Salah of the servant of Allah should never be changed whether in private or in front of others...
The point was to be wary of showing off. A truly humble person does not make a show of his deeds. He takes great care to conceal his good deeds and his inner state is better than his outer. He cares more about what Allah thinks of him than what people think of him.

Indeed there are people in this world who are in reality among the saaliheen.....we would never know who they are......because they do such a good job in keeping their piety secret.

Amat Allah
05-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Jazakallah khair sis for sharing your views........
Wa iyaki my sweetie Ameeeen

There's something called unwanted advice. That's what we don't want to give. Advising people, enjoining the good and forbidding the evil has to be done with wisdom. And I know for a fact that unwanted advice is resented by a lot of people. It's also bad manners.
but not all people ask for advices my dear sister and the prophets and messengers of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon them) followed Allah`s commandments in enjoining the good and forbidding the evil...the warn their people and adviced them as Allah ordered not waiting for them to ask honey...

you are right, but advicing hasn`t one way to be giving in but many and the wisdom is to know the right way for eachone you want to give that advice for him/her...

Umar bin Al Khattab (May allah be pleased with him) while dying he saw a man wearing a long Thawb and he right away told him to shorten it above his ankles accodring to the Shar`a of Allah not waiting from him to ask him his advice ...the evil is evil and must be changed by the ways and methods that the prophet Muhammad taught us as Allah commanded his and taught him (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) my dear sister...

the point is not to consider yourself to be more knowledgeable than others. But to have a good opinion about them and to think that perhaps they know a lot more than you do....it's just that they are concealing their knowledge.
Yes , I understood this point my precious sister...

This word is used in the context.. that you believe yourself to be humble. And if you do so, then you cease to be humble. Better not to use the word at all. There are other ways to express yourself.
like what? how to tell others that I see them like me and I even see them better than me and if I am saying something doing something and teaching something that I am not trying to show them that I am better that them ...how?

Allah knows the best my dear...

The point was to be wary of showing off. A truly humble person does not make a show of his deeds. He takes great care to conceal his good deeds and his inner state is better than his outer. He cares more about what Allah thinks of him than what people think of him. Indeed there are people in this world who are in reality among the saaliheen.....we would never know who they are......because they do such a good job in keeping their piety secret.
I know honey the point , but the example is not right to be giving and what I said is not out of my own view...this is the saying of a great trustworthy scholar May Allah have mercy on him who was moer knowledgable than I...

and Allah says:"If you disclose your charitable expenditures, they are good; but if you conceal them and give them to the poor, it is better for you, and He will remove from you some of your misdeeds [thereby]. And Allah, with what you do, is [fully] Acquainted. (271)" Surat Al Baqarah

and if you are used to do something then do it as you always done it and never change it ever cause as long as you are doing it for Allah`s sake then others opinion never mind ever...

and about other good deeds you may hide and not intending showing others but for Salat you can`t do what was mentioned above... and won`t shorten my Salat with my lord for the sake of a creature`s opinion of me..if thinking that I am showing of then Allah knows the reat intentions of his Ibaad..Alhamdulilah

don`t be mad of me honey ...this is what I believe...

Flame of Hope
05-25-2011, 04:40 PM

Jazakallah khair ukhtee, for sharing your views...again. :)

but not all people ask for advices my dear sister and the prophets and messengers of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon them) followed Allah`s commandments in enjoining the good and forbidding the evil...the warn their people and adviced them as Allah ordered not waiting for them to ask honey...
Muslims must certainly enjoin the good and forbid the evil. I'm not saying that they shouldn't. What I am saying however, is that one should be careful while giving advice so as not to appear to others as though you are more knowledgeable or wiser.

One must check one's intentions while giving advice because the very act demonstrates to the person to whom you are "correcting" that you know better than he or she does. That's pride. The feeling that we know more than others and because of that we have the right to go around correcting people.

When someone with a "I know more than you" attitude goes around giving advice, he causes people to flee.

That's what I was trying to lay stress on. Correcting others, advising others must be done with wisdom. And wisdom won't come to us unless we fear Allah the way He should be feared. Allah does not like the proud no matter how right they may be in their knowledge.

like what? how to tell others that I see them like me and I even see them better than me and if I am saying something doing something and teaching something that I am not trying to show them that I am better that them ...how?

Allah knows the best my dear...
Yes, ukhtee. Allah knows best.

don`t be mad of me honey ...this is what I believe...
I'm not mad sister. I'm glad you shared your views. Jazakallah khair. :)

Amat Allah
05-26-2011, 02:49 AM
Jazakallah khair ukhtee, for sharing your views...again.

Wa Alikum Assalaam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh my sweetie ^^

Muslims must certainly enjoin the good and forbid the evil. I'm not saying that they shouldn't. What I am saying however, is that one should be careful while giving advice so as not to appear to others as though you are more knowledgeable or wiser. One must check one's intentions while giving advice because the very act demonstrates to the person to whom you are "correcting" that you know better than he or she does. That's pride. The feeling that we know more than others and because of that we have the right to go around correcting people. When someone with a "I know more than you" attitude goes around giving advice, he causes people to flee. That's what I was trying to lay stress on. Correcting others, advising others must be done with wisdom. And wisdom won't come to us unless we fear Allah the way He should be feared. Allah does not like the proud no matter how right they may be in their knowledge.

Now, when you said it in that way ,I realized what you wanted me to get and understand and indeed you are correct in that %100 May Allah bless ya Ameeeeen

I'm not mad sister. I'm glad you shared your views. Jazakallah khair.
Wa Iyaki my flame and may Allah never prevent ya from seeing His Al Mighty Face ever Ameeeeeeeen

I Swear by The One Who Created the whole world that I love you deeply and madly for Allah`s sake and no matter what in shaa Allah , may Allah love you and be pleased with you always Ameeen

take care of your precious self May Allah be with ya Ameeeen

Humbly, your sister no matter what:

Amat Allah.

Impey
05-30-2011, 05:17 PM
of course you ask whatever you want whether about humility or anything else ...you are welcome my dear anytime so, never let anything stop ya from knowing more and more no shyness no hesitation in shaa Allah, ok? May Allah lead your way to the path of the endless happiness always and forever Ameeeeeeen
take care of your precious self ... leaving you under Allah`s sight and care...
Humbly, your sister: Amat Allah.
Thank you for this opportunity. I quote from your post #1

How to Achieve Humbleness in Your Heart?
Humbleness is the opposite of arrogance, and is an attitude and behavior that Allah and His Messenger (Peace and blessings be upon him) have commanded us to have. It is also a great tool used to spread Islam to others. The best way to achieve humbleness in the heart is contained in the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah (Peace and blessings be upon him), who prescribed many methods to teach his companions how to be humble. We ask Allah to help us all become humble and stay firm on that path. Following are some of the methods and ways of achieving humbleness:

Let me say at the beginning I fully endorse what you say about the need for humility, there is nothing worse is there than a proud and arrogant person. I cannot of course endorse what the Sunnah says as I have no knowledge of it though being a Westerner I am familiar with the humility that we find in the person of Jesus in the Bible for example.

Firstly, there were no specific references or even an indirect one to the Qu'ran here - are there any? Secondly, and this is what bothers me is that I found an article where a Pakistani cricketer, Afridi said "I don't think [Indians] have the large and clean hearts that Allah has given us" - frankly, I found this shocking and if one takes the plain meaning of the words it is self-evidently not true as a Universal.

Anyway, I obtained a copy of Dawood's translation of the Qu'ran. I chose Dawood as it seems (to me) to read very well in English and searched for the these ideas.

Q3:110 You are the Noblest community ever raised up for mankind. You enjoin justice and forbid evil. You believe in God.

Q98:6 The unbelievers among the people of the boo and the pagans shall burn in the fisr of hell. They are the vilest of all creatures.

I looked at a few other translations but the meaning seems plain (to me) and if I take these two verses, there seems no way to read them as expressing humility, indeed they seem the very opposite of humility?

Amat Allah
06-01-2011, 04:10 AM
Let me say at the beginning I fully endorse what you say about the need for humility, there is nothing worse is there than a proud and arrogant person. I cannot of course endorse what the Sunnah says as I have no knowledge of it though being a Westerner I am familiar with the humility that we find in the person of Jesus in the Bible for example.
Yes indeed, nothing worse than a proud and arrogant person and surely, Jesus (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) is an amazing example to be taken May Allah never prevent the whole Ummah from his company in Al Firdaws Ameeeeeeeen

Firstly, there were no specific references or even an indirect one to the Qu'ran here - are there any?
"...And give good tidings (O Muhammad) to the humble (34)" Surat Al Hajj

"Lo! those who believe and do good works and humble themselves before their Lord: such are rightful owners of the Garden; they will abide therein. (23)" Surat Hood

"And the servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk upon the earth easily, and when the ignorant address them [harshly], they say [words of] peace, (63)" Surat Al Fur`qaan

" O my son, establish prayer, enjoin what is right, forbid what is wrong, and be patient over what befalls you. Indeed, [all] that is of the matters [requiring] determination. (17) And do not turn your cheek [in contempt] toward people and do not walk through the earth exultantly. Indeed, Allah does not like everyone self-deluded and boastful. (18)" Surat Luqmaan

and many...

Secondly, and this is what bothers me is that I found an article where a Pakistani cricketer, Afridi said "I don't think [Indians] have the large and clean hearts that Allah has given us" - frankly, I found this shocking and if one takes the plain meaning of the words it is self-evidently not true as a Universal.
This is clear arrogance and none knows us the best my respected like our Lord...if your teacher told ya: you are the best studant in my class, cause you have done your best in studying and worked so hard getting the higher mark; it is away different when you yourself say to your classmates: I am the best amongst you ...etc

the teacher was encouraging you and telling ya that when (Plough deep you will get plenty of corn ) and even if saying that to you infront of others then it is to give them an example and to encourage them to be better and to take the steps you have taken but when you parise yourself amongst others then this has another meaning and I think you already knew it...in shaa Allah you understood what I said...

Anyway, I obtained a copy of Dawood's translation of the Qu'ran. I chose Dawood as it seems (to me) to read very well in English and searched for the these ideas. Q3:110 You are the Noblest community ever raised up for mankind. You enjoin justice and forbid evil. You believe in God.
I believe if you already understood what I have said above then you will under stand this verse you have quoted...and another thing is: with all my respect and humility, I advise you to read more than one translation to understand Qur`aan in shaa Allah and also to complete reading the whole verses and what before them and after them to understand and get the real meaning....

"You are the best nation produced [as an example] for mankind. You enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and believe in Allah. If only the People of the Scripture had believed, it would have been better for them. Among them are believers, but most of them are defiantly disobedient. (110)"

now if you have understood what I wrote and replied to you on the second part of your post then you will understand what this verse is talking about...May Allah be with you Ameeeen

Q98:6 The unbelievers among the people of the book and the pagans shall burn in the fisr of hell. They are the vilest of all creatures. I looked at a few other translations but the meaning seems plain (to me) and if I take these two verses, there seems no way to read them as expressing humility, indeed they seem the very opposite of humility?
"Indeed, they who disbelieved among the People of the Scripture and the polytheists will be in the fire of Hell, abiding eternally therein. Those are the worst of creatures. (6)" Surat Al Bayyinah

my respected, didn`t you say above: there is nothing worse is there than a proud and arrogant person ?

then Allah said that before you do:"But the ones who deny Our verses and are arrogant toward them - those are the companions of the Fire; they will abide therein eternally. (36)" Al A`raaf

if disobeying your Lord and being arrogant towards Him and His proofs and verses; then what you are? the best of creatures?

the verse is talking about those who disbelieved in Allah The Lord of the world; neither about all of the people of Scripture nor all those who used to be polytheists...

many of the people of Scripture and polytheists who left the disbelief , humbled themselves to Allah and returned to Him in repentance believing in Him; the Creator and only true God Who deserves to be worshipped alone; are better than milions of Muslims...

again read the whole Sura not only one verse to understand better , God Willing .

and my respected, it is not about the name or to be named Muslim ; it is how to be a Muslim a true and real one and Muslim means: the one who submitted himself to God ...

another advices which are for all people from all different religions; never ever judge a religion by its sinful followers; cause this is not fair...but read about the religion itself and from the right sources (if searching sincerely then you will be guided to them, God Willing)and be independent and search by yourself and never be a tail for others wherever they drag you; you follow. read by yourself and search and never imitate others...

and if that religion you are searching for is from God HimSelf then you will surely know ; cause Allah Is perfect and His way of life is perfect too but those who follow it are not perfect at all , they are human and do mistakes...

May Allah guide us all before standing in His court Ameeeeeeeeeeen

Impey
06-01-2011, 09:37 PM
I believe if you already understood what I have said above then you will under stand this verse you have quoted...and another thing is: with all my respect and humility, I advise you to read more than one translation to understand Qur`aan in shaa Allah and also to complete reading the whole verses and what before them and after them to understand and get the real meaning....
I did consult several (online) translations but the sense seemed always the same. I want to understand what you are saying, now I guess for you what is right and wrong is black and white? I have difficulty with this because I don't need a book of rules of any kind to know that if say I see a person suffering that I should help or understand that killing or steeling is bad. Similarly, I can never bring myself to say that amputation for theft or multiple wives is in any way right but for me definitely wrong.

"Indeed, they who disbelieved among the People of the Scripture and the polytheists will be in the fire of Hell, abiding eternally therein. Those are the worst of creatures. (6)" Surat Al Bayyinah
If I understand your point correctly, you are saying that those who don't believe are necessarily arrogant and proud and of course some may very well be but this cannot be a universal can it? So what you seem to be saying is that the very act of believing, just believing, forbidding and enjoining is enough to make you 'the best of all creatures'?

This makes me feel uncomfortable as if I could in general be better than anyone else in my own eyes or God's. Surely, a sign of a lack of humility is when you say you are better than others? Going back to my Sundays school days (a long time ago) I recall faintly a story of a tax collector and a Pharisee, the Pharisee was proud, he kept the law and so was not like other men but the tax collector would not even rise is head because he knew his own heart - which of these two pleases God?

Flame of Hope
06-21-2011, 10:03 PM
:bump:

:bump1:

'Aleena
07-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Islam and Ego-Nouman Ali Khan
I found this lecture very beneficial. May Allah subhaan wa ta'ala reward the brother.

Ahmadi.Flyer
07-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Subhan'Allah this was when one of the few and best talks on the subject.

Amat Allah
07-13-2011, 11:58 AM
I did consult several (online) translations but the sense seemed always the same. I want to understand what you are saying, now I guess for you what is right and wrong is black and white? I have difficulty with this because I don't need a book of rules of any kind to know that if say I see a person suffering that I should help or understand that killing or steeling is bad. Similarly, I can never bring myself to say that amputation for theft or multiple wives is in any way right but for me definitely wrong.
how would you know then the diffirences between wrong and right if not accpeting your Lord teaching? The One Who Created you and Knows ya better than yourself no but the best ...none born knowledgeable %100 we have to learn and from whom? from the One Who created us and knows us...

and about amputation and multiple wives; have you ever read about them? their rulings, conditions and the wisdom behind the infliction of both of them on the guilty party or just putting them in the picture just like that?

and read here if you wana understand why the best people are those who enjoining good and forbidding evil, God Willing:

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/11403/أخرجت%20للناس

If I understand your point correctly, you are saying that those who don't believe are necessarily arrogant and proud and of course some may very well be but this cannot be a universal can it? So what you seem to be saying is that the very act of believing, just believing, forbidding and enjoining is enough to make you 'the best of all creatures'? This makes me feel uncomfortable as if I could in general be better than anyone else in my own eyes or God's. Surely, a sign of a lack of humility is when you say you are better than others? Going back to my Sundays school days (a long time ago) I recall faintly a story of a tax collector and a Pharisee, the Pharisee was proud, he kept the law and so was not like other men but the tax collector would not even rise is head because he knew his own heart - which of these two pleases God?

if you did understand what I have explained above then you wouldn`t write the above and whom better in Allah`s sight but who submit to His Willing, obeying Him The Exalted and be His true slave and servant just for His sake and not to show off...

and Allah knows the best.

Flame of Hope
09-24-2011, 12:33 AM

I've been thinking about the title of this thread: How to achieve humbleness.

I don't think it is possible to achieve humbleness.

Here are some quotes on humility that bring home the point:

Humility is a strange thing. The minute you think you've got it, you've lost it.- E. D. Hulse

And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin Is pride that apes humility. - COLERIDGE: The Devil's Thoughts.

Amat Allah
09-24-2011, 05:36 AM
"And for all religion We have appointed a rite [of sacrifice] that they may mention the name of Allah over what He has provided for them of [sacrificial] animals. For your god is one God, so to Him submit. And, [O Muhammad], give good tidings to the humble [before their Lord] (34) Who, when Allah is mentioned, their hearts are fearful, and [to] the patient over what has afflicted them, and the establishers of prayer and those who spend from what We have provided them. (35) " Surat Al Hajj.

then we can achieve humbleness but how? then we have The Book of Allah and The Sunnah of His Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) to learn from them may Allah humble our hearts, guide us to Him, help us to worship Him right and be pleased with us Ameeeeen

Flame of Hope
09-24-2011, 10:28 PM
"And for all religion We have appointed a rite [of sacrifice] that they may mention the name of Allah over what He has provided for them of [sacrificial] animals. For your god is one God, so to Him submit. And, [O Muhammad], give good tidings to the humble [before their Lord] (34) Who, when Allah is mentioned, their hearts are fearful, and [to] the patient over what has afflicted them, and the establishers of prayer and those who spend from what We have provided them. (35) " Surat Al Hajj.

Most definitely Allah knows who among is truly humble and who is not. He has knowledge of all things. And in the Qur'an the true believers and the saliheen are promised the Gardens of Paradise.

But is this knowledge available to us? Do we know who among is really good and who is not? Can we even imagine that we could be among those who Allah describes in the Qur'an as 'Who, when Allah is mentioned, their hearts are fearful, and [to] the patient over what has afflicted them, and the establishers of prayer and those who spend from what We have provided them.' ?

For a man or woman to even think that he is among those people who would be saved and who would be going to Jannah because ... he believes himself to be righteous.. God-fearing.. and humble!!! La ilaha il Allah!!!

Allah has surely informed us that there will be people who behave like the People of Paradise but because of the evil in their hearts, Allah causes them to do deeds of the People of Hell when they are nearing death... and then they enter Hell.

This is what happened to Iblis. This is certainly what can happen to us as well, if we are not careful.

A man who is truly humble and righteous NEVER thinks of himself as righteous. Whoever believes himself to be humble and sincere loses his humility.

Flame of Hope
09-24-2011, 10:48 PM

“Verily one of you behaves like the people of Paradise until there is but an arm’s length between him and it, and that which has been written overtakes him and so he behaves like the people of the Hell-Fire and thus he enters it.” - ( Bukhari)

Flame of Hope
09-24-2011, 10:49 PM

Allah says,

{And know that Allah cometh in between a man and his heart, and that it is He to whom ye shall (all) be gathered} (Al-Anfal: 24)

Flame of Hope
09-24-2011, 10:50 PM

"Did they then feel secure against the Plan of Allah? None feels secure from the Plan of Allah except the people who are lost." (7:99)

Amat Allah
09-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Yes, thats why we should learn how to be humble through Qur`aan and Sunnah cause only those two sources will teach us real humbleness and Allah knows if we will be able to gain it or not...

Allah Is the only One Who knows the truthful, sincere and honest from the arrogant and those who want to only show off and be amongst the hypocrites...

May Allah make us humble but never humiliate us to anyone but Him and May He The Exalted honor us by Him and keep us firm on His straight path always and forever and May He The Most Merciful never throw us in Hell and May he reward us with the Highest level of Paradise without being reckoning Ameeeeeeeeeen

non knows where is his/her end and non should be decieved of his/her good deeds ever and May Allah help us to worship Him right, guide us and keep us guided till we meet Him and then lead our way to Al Firdaws without Hisaab or punishment Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

al Amaanah
09-25-2011, 02:25 PM
:salamext:

^ Allahomma ameeeeen!

:w:

Snowflake
09-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Jazaki Allah khayr kathira my sweet sis for your beautiful posts. May Allah forgive us and protect us and accept your beautiful heart felt duas for us. Ameen thumma ameen.

Flame of Hope
10-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Yes, thats why we should learn how to be humble through Qur`aan and Sunnah cause only those two sources will teach us real humbleness and Allah knows if we will be able to gain it or not...

Allah Is the only One Who knows the truthful, sincere and honest from the arrogant and those who want to only show off and be amongst the hypocrites...

May Allah make us humble but never humiliate us to anyone but Him and May He The Exalted honor us by Him and keep us firm on His straight path always and forever and May He The Most Merciful never throw us in Hell and May he reward us with the Highest level of Paradise without being reckoning Ameeeeeeeeeen

non knows where is his/her end and non should be decieved of his/her good deeds ever and May Allah help us to worship Him right, guide us and keep us guided till we meet Him and then lead our way to Al Firdaws without Hisaab or punishment Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

Yes, the Qur'an and the sunnah provide us with all the guidance we need to achieve humility.

But I don't think the way to achieve humility is by running after it.

It is by running away from its opposite: PRIDE.

If you can succeed in removing pride from your heart... that would be the supreme success.

It is also something that has to be done on a daily basis... as regularly and as frequently as we can.

Amat Allah
10-05-2011, 03:11 AM
and to run away from pride we should learn first how to be humble honey (we have to know first the immunity and treatment to know how to avoid the disease and treat it later) and learning is not enough if not trying to put everything we have learnt and taught from Allah into effect...

and real humbleness can never be gained but by someone who has real Taqwa and strong Imaan...and Allah knows if we have those or not...

Flame of Hope
10-05-2011, 04:42 PM
and to run away from pride we should learn first how to be humble honey (we have to know first the immunity and treatment to know how to avoid the disease and treat it later) and learning is not enough if not trying to put everything we have learnt and taught from Allah into effect...

and real humbleness can never be gained but by someone who has real Taqwa and strong Imaan...and Allah knows if we have those or not...
Assalamu alaykum my dear sister.

We do learn the way of righteousness and humility through the guidance of the Qur'an and the Sunnah. We learn what is good and what is not good.

With an increase in knowledge and understanding, a man grows in humility. This humility is in reality a cleansing of the heart... and this occurs only when people acquire knowledge. (A verse in the Qur'an clearly states that it is ONLY people who have been granted knowledge that fear Allah....)

People of knowledge are aware of the extent of their ignorance and they understand their limitations and weaknesses. They recognize their complete dependence on Allah. They are the ones who are sensitive to the suffering of others, who do not look upon themselves as better than others, who are constantly checking their intentions, who are always fearful that their actions may not be accepted, who never feel secure from the plan of Allah, who are frightened by the very thought of sinning and who prefer to refrain from an act rather than commit it and then repent.

Yes, we can learn how to be humble by learning how to be humble. And we can then practice what we know. But would that mean that we have achieved humility? Can we afford to think that we have reached the station of Humility at any point in our lives?

Can we think to ourselves that we have become good? That we have become righteous because we are acting on the knowledge we have acquired? Because we now pray, we fast, we give in charity, we smile, we help people in need, go on Hajj, learn and recite the Qur'an?

If we do think that to ourselves, we have lost our humility for sure.

It is for this reason that we cannot go after humility. We can learn how to be humble but we cannot think to ourselves that we have achieved humility after learning how to be humble.

For Allah alone is the judge, who knows best who among us is truly humble and who is not.

The Day of Judgement is the Day when we shall find out if we were successful or not.

Amat Allah
10-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Wa Alikum Assalaam Wa Rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh my sweetheart

thats why I said before that Allah the only One Who knows habibati...^^

May Allah love you Ameeen

Flame of Hope
10-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Wa Alikum Assalaam Wa Rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh my sweetheart

thats why I said before that Allah the only One Who knows habibati...^^

May Allah love you Ameeen
Assalamu alaykum sister.

When you first posted this topic, I knew that people would read it just like they read other topics or articles and then forget about it. I did not want that to happen to this topic..... because this is the topic that every Muslim must turn his attention to and REMEMBER every day of his life.

"How to achieve humbleness" is a topic that would make quite a number of Muslims read it with interest. But the problem with it is.... due it's difficulty in achieving it, in my opinion.... a lot of people forget the article.... even when they had the sincerest intention to follow the advice given in the article!

So I kept this thread alive. Feeding it with related material. I never want this thread to die!!!

Humility is our ultimate goal... it is the ultimate in goodness. It is for the humble that Allah created Jannah. And what did Allah surround Jannah by? He surrounded it with difficulties and hardships. He surrounded it with trials, tests, thorns and spikes. He made the way to Jannah so steep and so full of unpleasant, painful and uncomfortable things that just looking at the obstacles in the way... Jibreel declared that he did not think anyone could enter Jannah!!!

All of the Qur'an and all of the hadiths teach us how to become humble.... how to be righteous.... how to be good. Because this is what the Qur'an was sent for. To guide us and show us the way to righteousness.

It requires a struggle... and a struggle that is unceasing. The moment you stop struggling, you lose the game.

To become humble isn't a one time thing.... and can't be treated like we do other strivings. Like if we are striving to be a doctor, we learn and study and put in years of hard work.... and then we become doctors. We can't say the same thing for humility.

We may start off by having an intense desire to learn about Islam, have the noblest intention to obey Allah in all matters, seek knowledge and acquire knowledge with years of study, do all our acts of worship on time, follow every rule and commandment given in the Shari'ah, learn the Qur'an and recite it beautifully etc. etc. etc. But after all this, we cannot say that we have become humble.

True humility is when you acquire knowledge, learn and understand the true meaning of worshipping Allah.... and that humility causes you to keep your deeds secret. To keep them concealed. True humility leads to true sincerity. And sincerity is acquired when you do not make a show of your righteousness. You keep it hidden.

So the righteous and the humble servants of Allah are actually the hidden gems of this earth. They can be among the ordinary, unknown folk... you never hear about them. And the state of their hearts is in better condition than what their apparent deeds show.

Hence, the Qur'an informs us: "Do not scorn other men.... it may be that they are better than you."

In other words, we do not know and can never know who is really good and who is not. We might think highly of a certain Muslim because of he never misses a prayer. But it's possible that we're completely mistaken in our estimate of him and he is in reality a vile hypocrite.

In Sura Mulk we are informed that the reason why Allah created man was to see who among us is better. And who are the ones among us who are better? They are the ones who are humble.... who have not an atom's weight of pride in their hearts.

And to not have an atom's weight of pride in the heart.... it takes a lot of work. It requires knowledge and vigilance.... to be on your guard, for Shaytan is always waiting to lead you astray from the Straight Path.

So many people fall into Shaytan's trap and are deceived into thinking that they are doing well now that they are doing everything that Allah has commanded.

How does it sound to you? When a person reads the Qur'an and reads the verses describing the believers.... and how they will be admitted to Paradise and enjoy all its delights... and he thinks to himself, "I'm a believer. I'm doing everything that the Qur'an tells me to do. I fear Allah and my skin trembles in fear when I read about Hell... and so Jannah is promised to me! The verses in the Qur'an about the successful ones refer to me!!"

I've heard Muslims making appalling statements such as:

"You'll be in Jannah, insha'allah!"

"Farewell! We'll meet in Jannah, insha'allah!"

"I'm on my way to Jannah!"

BIG QUESTION: How do they know WHO will be in Jannah?!!

We cannot be entertaining such thoughts! In fact, we cannot even make that judgement for anyone else.

We cannot be thinking to ourselves, "I am a good Muslim. I have a good heart," or say about another, "He is a good person. He has a good heart."

How can we dare to ascribe purity/righteousness/goodness to ourselves?!

How can we talk about what lies in a person's heart and declare him/her to be good?!
Like you say sister.... it is only Allah who knows who is better. It is not for any of us to make that judgment.... and it is better for us to be busy rectifying our own affairs and be worried whether Allah will permit us to die as Muslims or not. For Allah is able to do all things.... and it's most easy for Him to turn things around and make kafirs out of Muslims and Muslims out of kafirs.

And Allah wrongs us not. We wrong ourselves.

La ilaha il Allah, Muhammaddar Rasul Allah.

Amat Allah
10-07-2011, 04:38 AM
Wa Alikum Assalaam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh habibati

Yes, you are right Ya qalbi aaahh Alhamdulilah for everything...

and yes, non should say to anyone...indeed, you are in Jannah or hell ...ever...

we are not perfect habibati and sometimes when we do good to others , they see us as angels astagfero Allah Al 3atheem and think that there is non like us while we are nothing but sinful, did many shamfull deeds and sins against Allah...and maybe they are better than us too Allah Is the Only One Who knows...

but what to do in such case, when you are trying to be nice to others to make them happy, to make them feel good , to help them get closer to Allah and then they start saying those ugly ugly words to you? yes, they seem so nice to be said...but they are ugly cause they may make you ugly from inside...what to do?

when you are always trying to stop others from parising you and tell ya such things but there is no use, what to do?

when you know that they are saying those words cause they are trying to be nice with ya , paying you back and give ya in return, when you know that their intentions are not to hurt ya ever but to make you happy, what to do?

Yes, they may destroy you from inside and also make others think bad about ya and see ya as a hypocrite and arrogant; trying only to show off, thinking of yourself as the best, then what to do? and when you say to them I am not what you are saying or make a Duaa that may Allah make you deserve their nice words then this reaction of urs make them worse and worse...naaaaaaaah she must be an angel, then what to do and how to deal with such thing?

May Allah never prevent us from Al Jannah and May Al Firdaws be our home without any previous punishment Ameeeeeeeeen

Iconodule
10-07-2011, 04:47 PM
"If you have compassion for all creatures and love your enemies, and if, at the same time, you judge yourself the worst of all people, this shows that the great grace of the Lord is in you." - St. Silouan of Mt. Athos

Flame of Hope
10-10-2011, 05:59 AM

but what to do in such case, when you are trying to be nice to others to make them happy, to make them feel good , to help them get closer to Allah and then they start saying those ugly ugly words to you? yes, they seem so nice to be said...but they are ugly cause they may make you ugly from inside...what to do?

when you are always trying to stop others from parising you and tell ya such things but there is no use, what to do?

when you know that they are saying those words cause they are trying to be nice with ya , paying you back and give ya in return, when you know that their intentions are not to hurt ya ever but to make you happy, what to do?

Yes, they may destroy you from inside and also make others think bad about ya and see ya as a hypocrite and arrogant; trying only to show off, thinking of yourself as the best, then what to do? and when you say to them I am not what you are saying or make a Duaa that may Allah make you deserve their nice words then this reaction of urs make them worse and worse...naaaaaaaah she must be an angel, then what to do and how to deal with such thing?
Assalamu alaykum my dear sister Amat Allah.

I can understand what you're saying. It's something what I've faced myself and for a long time, I didn't know how to deal with it.

It made me scared. I went into hiding.... for more than 3 years. But I learned my lessons.... which I'd like to share with you.

I came to the realization that I could not run away from responsibility. If fulfilling my responsibilities and duties meant withstanding praise from people..... so be it. It must be endured.

How I feel about getting praised, how much I dread it and how much I wish to just vanish and be an unknown entity in this world... how strongly I feel about all this.... does not mean a thing.

A duty has to be performed..... whether people praise you or criticize you. You do it because you're obligated to do it.

So I've taught myself to ignore praise... and I've learned to be indifferent to what people say. I don't really care if what they say is good or bad.

This has helped me to come out of my shell. And because of that, I've been of far more help to people than I had been...hiding behind the wall.

And indeed... to Allah ALONE belongs ALL PRAISE.

Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen!

Flame of Hope
11-13-2011, 07:24 PM
"Pride is concerned with who is right. Humility is concerned with what is right."

— Ezra Taft Benson

Flame of Hope
11-13-2011, 07:26 PM
"It is said that it is far more difficult to hold and maintain leadership (liberty) that it is to attain it. Success is a ruthless competitor for it flatters and nourishes our weaknesses and lulls us into complacency. We bask in the sunshine of accomplishment and lose the spirit of humility which helps us visualize all the factors which have contributed to our success. We are apt to forget that we are only one of a team, that in unity there is strength and that we are strong only as long as each unit in our organization functions with precision.

— Samuel Tilden

Flame of Hope
11-13-2011, 07:27 PM
"Humility leads to strength and not to weakness. It is the highest form of self-respect to admit mistakes and to make amends for them."

— John J. McCloy

Flame of Hope
11-13-2011, 07:30 PM
"I have three precious things which I hold fast and prize. The first is gentleness; the second frugality; the third is humility, which keeps me from putting myself before others. Be gentle and you can be bold; be frugal and you can be liberal; avoid putting yourself before others and you can become a leader among men."

— Lao-Tzu

Flame of Hope
11-13-2011, 07:31 PM
"A man who is at the top is a man who has the habit of getting to the bottom."

— Joseph E. Rogers

Flame of Hope
11-13-2011, 07:33 PM
"Sense shines with a double luster when it is set in humility. An able and yet humble man is a jewel worth a kingdom."

— William Penn

Flame of Hope
11-13-2011, 07:35 PM
"True humility is not an abject, groveling, self-despising spirit; it is but a right estimate of ourselves as God sees us."

— Tryon Edwards

Flame of Hope
11-13-2011, 07:37 PM
"Fullness of knowledge always and necessarily means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance, and that is always conducive to both humility and reverence."

— Robert A. Millikan

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!