/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The rise of the European right

GuestFellow
04-11-2011, 10:22 PM
:sl:

Has anyone else noticed this?

The Hijab and Niqaab ban. Then the minaret ban. Now I've heard Netherlands is going to ban ritual slaughter of animals. Some of these issues may appear to be insignificant but these changes have occurred within approximately 11 years.

There is an atmosphere of anti-Islam, anti-religion and anti-immigration over European countries. There is also been a strong emphasis on nationalism and cultural identity. Is this the rise of right wing in Europe? It is similar to how Jews were treated in Europe, though not as bad.

What has caused the rise of right wing in Europe?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
yas2010
04-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Salaam Thank you for an interesting thread.

Many of the 'indigenous' population believe that the Unity of europe has been forced on soverign states. They feel that this is attacking their very indivduality i.e political borders, currencies, etc so there is the 'political economic' aspects to this.

Also we can see many voting right wing political parties in time of economic recession. There is a rise of scapegoating and alienation.

Brother, just look at the evil tabloid press in this country such the daily hate...aka 'daily mail' and the headline article is " COMING HERE TAKING OUR JOBS' or " COMING HERE SCROUNGING OUR BENEFITS"

Sethi
04-11-2011, 11:53 PM
I think it mainly has to do with fear of the unknown. Some people think that immigration and higher birth rates will lead to a significant portion of Europe being Muslims. I think they are afraid that it is a threat to their way of life, but I think that stems from misconceptions about what Islam is about.

In the US, there are a lot of people who think that immigration is somehow a threat to our society, even though we are a nation based on immigrants. I think it is mainly due to ignorance.

GuestFellow
04-12-2011, 12:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by yas2010
Salaam Thank you for an interesting thread.

Your welcome. =)

Many of the 'indigenous' population believe that the Unity of europe has been forced on soverign states. They feel that this is attacking their very indivduality i.e political borders, currencies, etc so there is the 'political economic' aspects to this.
This is true for Britain. Many British people, from my experience, dislike the EU and want to leave.

Also we can see many voting right wing political parties in time of economic recession. There is a rise of scapegoating and alienation.
Yes, I remember the BNP did get popularity.

Brother, just look at the evil tabloid press in this country such the daily hate...aka 'daily mail' and the headline article is " COMING HERE TAKING OUR JOBS' or " COMING HERE SCROUNGING OUR BENEFITS"
I've heard of the Daily Mail. It reminds me of the American version of Fox News. I suppose the Media is behind this too.

format_quote Originally Posted by Sethi
I think it mainly has to do with fear of the unknown. Some people think that immigration and higher birth rates will lead to a significant portion of Europe being Muslims. I think they are afraid that it is a threat to their way of life, but I think that stems from misconceptions about what Islam is about.

In the US, there are a lot of people who think that immigration is somehow a threat to our society, even though we are a nation based on immigrants. I think it is mainly due to ignorance.
How ironic...many people in the UK and US fear immigration and believe Muslims are taking over. These same countries played a major role in pushing out the Palestinians and letting Jewish Zionists take over. What goes around comes around...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
04-12-2011, 03:27 AM
one day, one day the tables will turn before these dogs will be bought to their knees.

may allah make our hearts steadfast.

Abdul-Raouf
04-12-2011, 04:16 AM
Islam is Rising... these people are loosing their ideas.. to counter it...
it will not be a surprise even if they bring a law sayin - that people should not have beard too.. claiming security - identity reasons.

Truth might taste bitter in this world for many.. like these...They will realize its sweetness only later.

yas2010
04-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Salaam Brothers and Sister,

We must never forget that we muslims are small saplings and when the wind changes its verocity the key is not to break but be flexible. We will be tested but they key is to remain paitent in the face of such adversity. Our bounties lie in the hereafter. Insh'Allah.

Zuzubu
04-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Many people migrate to Europe for work, money, and other things. This is a very common thing, and if this migration continues, then Europe will soon become muslim (in sum hundreds of years), so people are scared, and therefore start to do national things to aviod people taking their culture and work.

Trumble
04-12-2011, 09:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow

Has anyone else noticed this?

The Hijab and Niqaab ban. Then the minaret ban. Now I've heard Netherlands is going to ban ritual slaughter of animals. Some of these issues may appear to be insignificant but these changes have occurred within approximately 11 years.

There is an atmosphere of anti-Islam, anti-religion and anti-immigration over European countries. There is also been a strong emphasis on nationalism and cultural identity. Is this the rise of right wing in Europe? It is similar to how Jews were treated in Europe, though not as bad.

I'm not sure that's an accurate historical analysis. If nothing else it varies considerably across different countries, which follow different patterns, and I don't really think you can look at Europe as a whole. Nationalism, generally, in Europe is far less across Western Europe than in the previous century, not least in France!

In the UK the (extreme) right wing is as irrelevant as I have ever known it. The old 'National Front' of the 1970's and '80s was far more significant than today's British National Party which the vast majority of British voters consider a complete joke. Those with xenophobic tendenies are far more likely to vote for UKIP (United Kingdom Independence Party) who are an anti-EU party, not a discriminatory one. Racial prejudice still exists, and there was actually a pretty worrying piece on the radio today regarding the number of ethnic minority students admitted to Oxford but, again, overall it is no longer the huge problem it was. Likewise, in general, religious prejudice is far less than it was. Islam, though, is an exception at present, I must admit. I don't claim it to be justified, by any means, but an awful lot of that can be linked to the incidents of 9/11, 7/7 and the perception of 'Islamists' being almost synonymous with 'terrorists' - link that to biased reporting or propaganda as you wish.

France has always had huge issues with both religion, and race, but principally just general xenophobia (Jean Marie Le Pen actually isn't actually racist per se). The far right there has been a notable presence right back to, and even before, the Algerian War. In all honesty the burka ban is nothing compared with the policies of the Front National in the past, although Le Pen's daughter is softening them up somewhat.

In Germany the situation is totally unique regarding far-right politics and their supression, for obvious reasons.

And in Eastern Europe bigotism is rife in many places, and presumably was just as bad before the fall of the Iron Curtain. Religious conflicts there are well known, although most are ethnically based, and it's only the east of Europe where you still tend to get racist taunts and chants at soccer matches for example, thirty years ago that was routine in England, France, Belgium, Holland and Italy.

Overall, I think the situation is hopeful. Attitudes do change, but sometimes it takes a new generation for that to happen. White british kids aren't racist because they go to school with with, talk with, and play with black and asian kids. In their grandparents, and in somne areas even in their parents day, thye could go months without seeing a black or asian person, and so such people stood out and did 'not belong'; it's still the old tribal instinct. It will be the same with religious prejudice in time. That's one reason I do support 'multiculturalism'. That sort of integration is made much, much harder when communities are kept isolated, particularly in relation to children.

smile
04-12-2011, 03:08 PM
alhumdullilah i live in africa

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!