/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can a muslim read the Bible?

Zuzubu
04-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Asalamu Alaykum. =)

I know that the Bible has been changed a lot, but still I wish to study it, so I know why so many people are christians, and what their books says, because many people talk about the bible and says that it's against pig, alcohol etc.

So is it fine to study the bible?

Currently I was maknig a research on what the bible says about gog and magog, but it isn't wrong, right?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
04-12-2011, 11:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zuzubu
Asalamu Alaykum. =) I know that the Bible has been changed a lot, but still I wish to study it, so I know why so many people are christians, and what their books says, because many people talk about the bible and says that it's against pig, alcohol etc. So is it fine to study the bible? Currently I was maknig a research on what the bible says about gog and magog, but it isn't wrong, right?

Before you read bible, do you understand what bible is?

Zuzubu
04-12-2011, 11:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar

Before you read bible, do you understand what bible is?
It's an kafir book, but so what? We are living with the kafiroon

Ramadhan
04-12-2011, 12:00 PM
It's an kafir book, but so what? We are living with the kafiroon
What is a kafir book? seriously, I am asking it because I don't even know what a kafir book is, this is the first time I've heard such thing.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ubeyde
04-12-2011, 03:13 PM
I would advise against reading it. This is because if you read their book, it as you know is altered, and therefore sections of the Bible will confuse you.. However, if you have strong Eman and are doing it to strengthen your Dawah to the Christians then all means do it. Just don't believe everything you read in there..

Finding about other religions books is extremely useful in seeig the innate differences and similarities between our religions, and as you know, knolwedge carries big rewards.

Salaam..

Woodrow
04-12-2011, 03:25 PM
First one needs to look at their reason why they want to read the Bible. to read it for the purpose of refuting it is not necessarily a good reason. It is far better to concentrate on proving the truth of Islam. To attempt to refute all Non-Ialamic religions is pointless as because of the number of them. No human will live on this earth long enough to do so. also, even if one were to prove every religion is in error that is not proof Islam is true.

Concentrate on learning all you can about Islam. Learn to defent Islam, and there will be no need to attempt to disprove anybody else.

Yes, there are justifiable and halal reasons to study the scriptures of other faiths. But, make learning your own Faith the priority.

AabiruSabeel
04-12-2011, 04:46 PM
:sl:

Muhammad Ibn al-Alâ' told us that Ibn Numayr reported from Mujâlid from Ibn Aamir from Jaabir that Umar Ibn al-Khattâb RadhiyAllahu 'Anh brought a copy of the Torah to the Prophet :saws1: and said: "O Apostle of God, this is a copy of the Torah." But [the Prophet] kept silent. Then Umar RadhiyAllahu 'Anhstarted reading and the face of the Prophet :saws1: kept changing. So, Abu Bakr RadhiyAllahu 'Anh interrupted him violently: "Don't you see the face of the Prophet (peace be upon him)?" Umar RadhiyAllahu 'Anh looked at the Prophet's face and said "May God preserve me from His anger and from the anger of his Apostle (peace be upon him), we accepted Allah as Lord and Islâm as religion and Muhammad as prophet." Then the Prophet :saws1: said: "By the One Who owns Muhammad's soul, if Moses (peace be upon him) appeared to you and you followed him and left me, you would go astray from the right path and if he were alive and reached [the time of] my prophethood he would have followed me. " (Sunan Al Daarimi, Kitab: Al Muqadimmah, Bab: Maa Yuttaqaa min tafseer Hadeeth Al Nabi Salaah Allaahu 'Alayhi Wassallam, Hadith no. 436)

Ramadhan
04-12-2011, 04:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
First one needs to look at their reason why they want to read the Bible. to read it for the purpose of refuting it is not necessarily a good reason. It is far better to concentrate on proving the truth of Islam. To attempt to refute all Non-Ialamic religions is pointless as because of the number of them. No human will live on this earth long enough to do so. also, even if one were to prove every religion is in error that is not proof Islam is true. Concentrate on learning all you can about Islam. Learn to defent Islam, and there will be no need to attempt to disprove anybody else. Yes, there are justifiable and halal reasons to study the scriptures of other faiths. But, make learning your own Faith the priority.

This.

Also, I don't get the logic: Why would anyone want to pick up and study other people's scriptures when they don't even know and understand the most basic and common verses of their own scripture?
And that person does not even know what the other people scriptures are made of.
There must be something seriously wrong in the logical circuitry.

Zuzubu
04-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Naidamar, howcome that even if I ignore you, you post arrogant posts in my topics?

I will read the bible for fun, and to know what it is, it's mostly for my education.

sister herb
04-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Of my mind, muslim can read what ever and have to read and study.

I have read Gilgamesh, Torah, Bible, Quran. Laws. Geneve Conventions. Books about history. Everything. I never stop reading and studing.

Ramadhan
04-13-2011, 01:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Of my mind, muslim can read what ever and have to read and study. I have read Gilgamesh, Torah, Bible, Quran. Laws. Geneve Conventions. Books about history. Everything. I never stop reading and studing.

It is commendable that muslims acquire vast knowledge. And I love to read myself, have been reading thousands of text books since I was in grade 1.

But do you think it makes sense for a muslim who does not even know qur'an ayats from surats, let alone reading longer surats to read and learn other people's scriptures?
While knowing well that the knowledge of the Qur'an and sunnah is what save him in this world and hereafter?

Who is more arrogant, a person who gives good advice based on qur'an and sunnah out of care as muslim brother, or a person who stubbornly refuse to take multiple sound advice from multiple brothers/sisters, and not only in this thread, but also in other threads such as the one about learning magic?
What's the point of asking for advice then?

IAmZamzam
04-13-2011, 10:06 PM
The only reason, 90% of the time, that people really ask for advice anytime is that they know deep down inside what they need/want to do, and either seek outside validation to ease their doubts or don't want to face up to the fact they're suppressing.

Whatever it is you know, or think you know, deep down inside, do that, Zuzubu. But at least remember what I said about the magic thing all the same.

MustafaMc
04-14-2011, 01:18 AM
I have read the Bible, particularly the NT, quite a bit in order to know what it says and with the intention of using that knowledge to communicate with Christians. I believe that I have put forth quite convincing arguments using Biblical quotes, but I can't see that my efforts have amounted to much of anything. I do not recommend reading or studying the Bible and agree with those above that the time would be better spent studying the Quran. However, if you insist on reading the Bible, I suggest that you first read the article, "Paul's Gospel" by William Newell at http://www.biblicist.org/bible/paul.shtml and then the 1st 2 chapters of Galatians.

Zuzubu
04-14-2011, 08:50 AM
The Bible is far from magic. And you don't go against Allah by reading the Qur'an, right? Then why not read it, if it's only for information about them. The same way Christians talk wrong about muslims without studying Islam, we shouldnt do the same as them.

Ramadhan
04-14-2011, 01:13 PM
The Bible is far from magic.
no. but did you know that many of it is make up verses/stories by unknown scribes?
let me give you an analogy:

Say, you have no knowledge about medieval/renaissance england/scotland and you want to learn something about those period, would you go and watch "braveheart" and "elizabeth" to gain knowledge about those periods, instead of reading books by historians?
sure, there might be some historical truth in braveheart and elizabeth, but since you have no knowledge in those historical periods, you don't which ones is the truth and which ones are made up.

The same thing with you with your insistence to read bible.
By your assertion in the other threads, you have very little knowledge in qur'an and ahadith (to the point that you cannot tell the difference between ayat and surat), so would you be able to tell which parts of bible is the truth and which parts are made up?

Also, say you want to read bible, then which version of bible do you want to read? there are literally thousands of bible versions. Are you going to read protestant or catholic bibles? Most protestant bibles have 66 books, while catholic bible has 73 books.
Are you going to read the whole bible, or are you going to read OT only or NT only?
Did you know that most of NT books were written by unknown scribes and in different language than the language of jesus (pbuh), and less than 18% were about jesus (pbuh), while the rest were about conjectures by unknown people?

Are you aware that reasonable people approach the books they are reading appropriately?
Someone is not reading "a brief history of time" because they expect to learn how to plant flowers.
Or are you reading Harry Potter to learn magic?

nd you don't go against Allah by reading the Qur'an, right?
Are you telling us that Qur'an is the same as Bible?
May Allah gives you guidance.

The same way Christians talk wrong about muslims without studying Islam, we shouldnt do the same as them.
it is great that you have knowledge about christianity, but it is ridiculous when you don't even have knowledge about your own religion.

IAmZamzam
04-14-2011, 09:27 PM
There's no such thing as too much knowledge.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!