/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Supposing the Angel of Death came to you today......

Flame of Hope
04-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Supposing the Angel of Death came to you today and said that he would be back to take your life tomorrow at such and such time, what would you do?

How would you spend your day?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S.Belle
04-12-2011, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Flame
what would you do?
I'd faint

unconscious..im not joking either I dont think I could handle a situation like that and get anything accomplished.

Ubeyde
04-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Spend the entire day in absolute seclusion, doing Ibadah and Dhikr of Almighty Allah ta'ala and ofc reading the Holy Quran.. As well as narrating all of the necessary Names of Allah so that I may die a Shaheed even if I die on my bed. I would pray in the mosque, and spend all my wealth (all £200 or so) in the Path of Allah Ta'ala, I would go out in the Path of Allah and travel as far away as possible from my home..

If I had the appointed time, I would book a flight ASAP to Mecca and if I die there, I die a Shaheed.

yas2010
04-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Pray, pray and pray

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Danah
04-12-2011, 06:56 PM
That is a scary question! May Allah save us from the sudden death and may Allah guide us always to the path of truth.

What if you know that he is definitely coming to you but he didn't tell you when exactly he will come? how you will spend your time while you are waiting for him to come?

Are we ready for the meeting?

Woodrow
04-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Yet for all of us the angel of death has visited us and has told us we will die tomorrow. If we find we do not die tomorrow, it is only because Allaah(swt) has chosen to let us live a little longer.

We have grown lax and lazy and no matter how many times we have been told we will die tomorrow, we always live life with the assumption that at the last minute we will be given more time.

None of us can truly say we are prepared for tomorrow, until we can welcome the Angel of Death with open arms and greet him as a Friend who has come out of love to bring us home.

PouringRain
04-13-2011, 01:33 AM
I'm quite the skeptic...... I wouldn't believe it was the angel of death. :p

StudentIII
04-13-2011, 01:54 AM
I'd plant a tree.

If the Hour starts to happen and in the hand of one of you is a palm shoot or seedling; then if he’s able to plant it before the Hour happens, then let him plant it”. As-Silsilah as-Saheehah #9

in jihad
04-13-2011, 03:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by StudentIII
f the Hour starts to happen and in the hand of one of you is a palm shoot or seedling; then if he’s able to plant it before the Hour happens, then let him plant it”. As-Silsilah as-Saheehah #9
I don't think it mean literally you gotta plant a tree. I believe it mean that u finish what you were doing. You don't stop fulfilling your duties and obligations just becoz the Hour is coming.

tigerkhan
04-13-2011, 04:34 AM
well i will start doing istaghfar.

aadil77
04-13-2011, 09:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by StudentIII
I'd plant a tree.

If the Hour starts to happen and in the hand of one of you is a palm shoot or seedling; then if he’s able to plant it before the Hour happens, then let him plant it”. As-Silsilah as-Saheehah #9
I'm quite sure the hour refers to the day of judgement

AmineH
04-13-2011, 10:16 AM
salaam
so wonderful.
I pray and get "halaliat'' from the others .

in jihad
04-13-2011, 08:27 PM
:sl:

I wud be happy, honestly. I wud love to meet my Creator, my Lord. I wud do much praying to thank Him and much seeking forgiveness too coz i know i can never repay Allah for all He given me. I wud shed tears of happiness and also tears of grief becoz I wud be leaving my loved ones behind. I wud place much hope in allah's mercy. I wud also spend some part of my day paying off debts to anyone i owed money. I wud also ask people to forgive me if i done any wrong to them. And i would ask my family members and children to pray to allah that He forgive me after I am gone.

Neelofar
04-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Cry!! And pray, pray and make sincere dua.. Scary stuff dudes =(

ayesha.ansari
04-14-2011, 06:43 AM
While reading this situation and keeping it in my mind i always pray to ALLAH to forgive me. because when the angel is near me the doors for saying sorry to ALLAH wll closed and i will never enter Jannat so i would happily waits to meet my lord and look for mercy and i have only one faith that My ALLAH give always when i need it and when i nver demand then how on the day of judgment he will not give me forgiveness.

Tyrion
04-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Would any of our worship and repentance actually be accepted if we were told our time of death by the Angel of Death himself? I doubt they would be, since I think that might be kinda unfair...

This actually brought a verse of Quran to mind:

They say: "Why is not an angel sent down to him?" If we did send down an angel, the matter would be settled at once, and no respite would be granted them. (6:8, Yusuf Ali)

So yeah, in this particular case I think I'd just be terrified. :p

Flame of Hope
04-15-2011, 12:40 AM

I would probably say to the Angel of Death, "I've been expecting you." :statisfie

Revert 2010
04-15-2011, 09:27 PM
I'd say they had the wrong address

GuestFellow
04-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Supposing the Angel of Death came to you today and said that he would be back to take your life tomorrow at such and such time, what would you do?

Salaam,

I'm not sure. How do I know if I have seen the Angel of Death? I think I might have gone insane.

If I were to die, most likely I would keep it to myself. I would probably sit in my bedroom and think about what I have just saw.

Laila-
04-18-2011, 03:34 PM
I would probably freeze and.... well you cant do anything else when you freeze

Reflections
04-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Have hope and fear for the next day coming...May Allah forgive us for our shortcomings and grant us a death as a mu'min..Allahoma ameen

AslamP
04-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I would do as I do everyday, live a virtuous life, but I'd add an extra prayer, which would be, "Please, God, I've been a good person, you gave me Iman and a most wonderful life, but it's been hard seeing other people suffer from being ruled under lousy leaders. And, I haven't been able to get them back for what they've done; I've been waiting for Your help, so either extend my life to do more good, or if it's a must that you take me in death, then please let me bring all the corrupted leaders with me so I can see You throw them in hell!"

AslamP
04-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Such a cute answer - thanks for the laugh!

- Qatada -
04-19-2011, 06:34 PM
:salamext:

A sister on Ummah forums died today and she was only 18..

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...isha-My-sister

so shocking..

Flame of Hope
04-19-2011, 10:18 PM
:wa:

format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -

so shocking..
Jazakallah khair for letting us know brother. She's been released from the prison of this world. Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen!

May Allah have mercy on her soul! Ameen.

Endymion
04-20-2011, 09:31 AM

so shocking..
Im unable to see the thread,it need to log in but this is enough for us to know that a sister passed away imsad

May Allah SWT forgive her,illuminate her grave and raise her to Jannat Al-Ferdous and bless her family with Sabr and save them from griefs and sorrows.Amen.

To me,i'll behave the same like i did before my surgery as i said its not less than a death experience :)
I'll ask all my family and friends and relatives and every person i know to forgive me if i hurt them any where and ask them to pray for me that this journey to the real destination will be easy and successful for me.And then,i'll post a topic on IB to request my friends to pray for me and to keep me in their doaa :p And then,i'll spend all the time in Thanking Allah SWT for giving me a chance and some time to ask forgiveness and recite Quran and offer Prayer,Inshallah :statisfie

Hey Flame,my mom will be so angry if she read all that :D She dont even like i talk about my death :D But i'll tell her that its actually Flame who made me say all that :D

Haya emaan
04-20-2011, 02:09 PM

so shocking..
innalilahwainailahirajiun

after knowing that the last moments are near firstly my sins and mistakes done intentionally or unintentionally would remind me of the punishment but remembering how merciful my Allah is would obviously give me hope my heart would start praying OH ALLAH! i want to meet you in jannah!OH Allah let me with those people in jannah who will get the opportunity to see you every friday..
then i will forgive every one who hated me or loved me did good or bad with me... and will ask forgiveness from every one on my bad acts ever i did with them..
and will try to make prayers and read Quran as much i can i wish when the angel of death comes to me to take my soul i m reading Quran or i m in a prayer.. so that when i will be waken up again i would face my Allah with my heart and lips reciting the verses of Quran

Hannah.
04-20-2011, 03:45 PM
I would first be shocked but happy at the same time. I'd tell my family and close friends about it, although they probably wouldn't believe me :P
Until my last breath, I'd like to remember my Lord and leave this world by saying the shahada.

Flame of Hope
04-20-2011, 03:48 PM

Can't help but think of all the things Allah has spared her from! Sigh.

abjad
04-20-2011, 09:25 PM

AM SORRY SISTER IN ISLAM;
give us a clue what would you do ?

Flame of Hope
04-20-2011, 09:48 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by hodi
AM SORRY SISTER IN ISLAM;
give us a clue what would you do ?

I consider the life of this world a big prison. I despise it and I know that the Hereafter is far better. If the Angel of Death were to come to me today and inform me that I have just one day left to live, I'd be super happy. What joy to think that I'm going to be freed from this prison and fly like a bird to a place of Eternal Pleasure, Peace and Happiness?! No more worrying, no more stress, no more getting tired, falling sick and no more struggle. "Alhamdulillah!" I would say to the Angel of Death. I would spend my day in thankfulness to Allah, repentance and beseeching Him for forgiveness. And I would desire that when the Angel of Death finally comes to take my soul, my last words be, "Ashadu an la ilaha il Allah, Muhammaddar Rasul Allah! Rabbi ighfirlee!"

CosmicPathos
04-20-2011, 09:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fighter

I wud be happy, honestly. I wud love to meet my Creator, my Lord. I wud do much praying to thank Him and much seeking forgiveness too coz i know i can never repay Allah for all He given me. I wud shed tears of happiness and also tears of grief becoz I wud be leaving my loved ones behind. I wud place much hope in allah's mercy. I wud also spend some part of my day paying off debts to anyone i owed money. I wud also ask people to forgive me if i done any wrong to them. And i would ask my family members and children to pray to allah that He forgive me after I am gone.

you do know that you wont be able to meet Allah right after death? Not till you get into Jannah when Allah will remove the veil. Till then we cant say that death = meeting Allah.

First of all I do not think Angel of death will come and tell me that he will come tomorrow to take my soul. Why? because no one knows the time of death except Allah. Angel of death is then breaking the word of Allah by telling me that I will die tomorrow when I have only 1 day to live. What is the point of doing that? Where is angel of death right now? I dont think he has any control over his will.

In Islam, angel of death comes, takes the soul/human physically dies, takes the soul to heaven, human is buried in meanwhile or burnt to ashes, and then soul is returned in the grave and questions are asked and the soul remains in human body within the grave till Qiyama. I do not know what happens to the soul of those who get their corpses burnt after dying and get them spread into the wilderness such as the Rockies. And I also do not know if Munqir and Naqeer ask such ppl the questions of the 'grave" since there is no grave to begin with.

I will have nothing to ask him if he comes, for he comes without telling and goes without telling within picoseconds.

abjad
04-20-2011, 10:08 PM

I consider the life of this world a big prison. I despise it and I know that the Hereafter is far better. If the Angel of Death were to come to me today and inform me that I have just one day left to live, I'd be super happy. What joy to think that I'm going to be freed from this prison and fly like a bird to a place of Eternal Pleasure, Peace and Happiness?! No more worrying, no more stress, no more getting tired, falling sick and no more struggle. "Alhamdulillah!" I would say to the Angel of Death. I would spend my day in thankfulness to Allah, repentance and beseeching Him for forgiveness. And I would desire that when the Angel of Death finally comes to take my soul, my last words be, "Ashadu an la ilaha il Allah, Muhammaddar Rasul Allah! Rabbi ighfirlee!"

Maa shaaa ALLAH

your answer

to me an excellent of the excellency.

and let me add please:-
And if am judge to go to Jahanam....I will kick myself and abusing myself, and Directly as speed of light Jumping into Hell as I DESERVE
Subhanna wa Taalah "Leysa bi dhalaami Li l abiid"

and if i be judged to enter Paradise....i will start crying Praise is only for Allah, keeping Repeating all i have to thank Allah(Jalajaluuhu) neverminding to enter but how much In word cant say but i think i will fall down FAINT and ALLAH(JalaJalaaluhu) knows best where i will find myself when i wake up.

Tyrion
04-20-2011, 10:51 PM
This answer seems to assume you'll be going straight to Jannah... Which seems to be a dangerous assumption to make. :p

Ghazalah
04-20-2011, 11:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hodi
And if am judge to go to Jahanam....I will kick myself and abusing myself,
:mmokay: Asking Allah for forgiveness is a better solution akhi.

Flame of Hope
04-21-2011, 12:27 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
This answer seems to assume you'll be going straight to Jannah... Which seems to be a dangerous assumption to make. :p
I guess you forgot the part where I said I would repent and ask for Allah's forgiveness and die testifying to the truth la ilaha il Allah, Muhammaddar Rasul Allah.

I never assume that I would be going straight to Jannah. If I do go, it is purely by the mercy of Allah, in which I place my hope.

Aren't we supposed to have more hope in Allah's mercy when we are nearing our end?

Aprender
04-21-2011, 12:40 AM
I would spend my day happy I suppose but this is a tough question of course.

mammyluty
04-24-2011, 12:08 AM
When a believer is about to depart this world, angels with white faces come down from the heavens and say:

“O peaceful soul, come out to forgiveness from God and His pleasure.” (Hakim and others)

The believer will look forward to meeting his Creator, as the Prophet, may the mercy and blessings of God be upon him, explained:

“…when the time of the death of a believer approaches, he receives the good news of God’s pleasure with him and His blessings upon him, and so at that time nothing is dearer to him than what lies ahead of him. He therefore loves meeting God, and God loves meeting him.” (Saheeh Al-Bukhari)

The soul peacefully passes out of the body like a drop of water which emerges from a water-skin, and the angels take hold of it:

The angels gently extract it, saying:

“…Do not fear and do not grieve, but receive good tidings of the Paradise which you were promised. We were your allies in this worldly life and [are so] in the Hereafter, and you will have therein whatever your souls desire, and you will have therein whatever you request [or wish], as a hospitality from the Forgiving and Merciful.” (Quran 41:30-32)

Once extracted from the body, the angels wrap the soul in a shroud smelling of musk and ascend up to the heavens. As the Gates of Heaven open for the soul, the angels greet it:

“A good soul has come from the earth, may God bless you and the body you used to dwell in.”

…introducing it with the best names it was called with in this life. God commands his “book” to be recorded, and the soul is returned back to earth.

The soul then remains in a place of limbo in its grave, called the Barzakh, awaiting the Day of Judgment. Two fearsome, dread-inspiring angels called Munkar and Nakeer visit the soul to ask it about its religion, God, and prophet. The believing soul sits upright in its grave as God grants it the strength to answer the angels with full faith and certainty.[1]

Munkar and Nakeer: “What is your religion?”

Believing soul: “Islam.”

Munkar and Nakeer: “Who is your Lord?”

Believing soul: “Allah.”

Munkar and Nakeer: “Who is your Prophet?” (or “What do you say about this man?”)

Believing soul: “Muhammad.”

Munkar and Nakeer: “How did you come to know these things?”

Believing soul: “I read the Book of Allah (i.e. the Quran) and I believed.”

Then, when the soul passes the test, a voice from the heavens will call out:

“My slave has spoken the truth, supply him with furnishings from Paradise, clothe him from Paradise, and open a gate for him to Paradise.”

The believer’s grave is made roomy and spacious and filled with light. He is shown what would have been his abode in Hell - had he been a wicked sinner - before a portal is opened for him every morning and evening showing him his actual home in Paradise. Excited and full of joyful anticipation, the believer will keep asking: ‘When will the Hour (of Resurrection) come?! When will the Hour come?!’ until he is told to calm down.[2]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Footnotes:
[1] Musnah Ahmad

[2] Al-Tirmidhi

mammyluty
04-24-2011, 12:09 AM
As death approaches the wicked disbeliever, he is made to feel something of the heat of the Hellfire. This taste of what is to come causes him to plead for a second chance on earth to do the good he knew he should have done. Alas! His pleading will be in vain.

“Until, when death comes to one of them, he says: ‘O my Lord. Send me back to life (on earth) in order that I may do good deeds in the things that I neglected.’ By no means! It is only an utterance that he says. And before them is a barrier (preventing them from returning: the life of the grave) until the Day (of Resurrection) they are ressurected.” (Quran 23:99-100)

Divine wrath and punishment is conveyed to the wicked soul by hideously ugly, dark angels who sit far away from it:

“Receive glad tidings of boiling water, wound discharge, and multiple, similar torments.” (Ibn Majah, Ibn Katheer)

The disbelieving soul will not look forward to meeting its Lord God, as the Prophet explained:

“When the time of the death of a disbeliever approaches, he receives the evil news of God’s torment and His Requital, whereupon nothing is more hateful to him than what is before him. Therefore, he hates the meeting with God, and God too, hates the meeting with him.” (Saheeh Al-Bukhari)

The Prophet also said:

“Whoever loves to meet God, God loves to meet him, and whoever hates to meet God, God hates to meet him.” (Saheeh Al-Bukhari)

The Angel of Death sits at the head of the disbeliever in his grave and says: “Wicked soul, come out to the displeasure of Allah” as he snatches the soul out of the body.

“And if you could but see when the wrongdoers are in the overwhelming pangs of death while the angels extend their hands, saying, ‘Save yourselves! Today you will be awarded the punishment of extreme humiliation for what you used to say against God other than the truth, and that you were, toward His verses, being arrogant.” (Quran 6:93)

“And if you could not see when the angels take the souls of those who disbelieved… striking their faces and their backs and saying, ‘Taste the punishment of the Blazing Fire.’” (Quran 8:50)

The evil soul leaves the body with great difficulty, drawn out by the angels as a thronged skewer is dragged through wet wool.[1] The Angel of Death then seizes the soul and puts it in a sack woven from hair which gives off a putrid stench, as foul and offensive as the most foul-smelling rotting corpse found on earth. The angels then take the soul up past another company of angels who inquire: “Who is this wicked soul?” to which they reply: “So and so, the son of so and so?” - using the very worst of names that he was ever called during his time on earth. Then, when he is brought to the lowest heaven, a request is made that its gate be opened for him, but the request is denied. Whilst the Prophet was describing these events, when he reached this point, he recited:

“The gates of heaven will not be opened for them and they will not enter paradise until a camel can pass through the eye of a needle.” (Quran 7:40)

God will say: “Record his book in Sijjeen in the lowest earth.”

…and his soul is cast down. At this juncture, the Prophet, may the mercy and blessings of God be upon him, recited:

“He who assigns partners to Allah is as if he had fallen down from heaven and been snatched up by the birds, or made to fall by the wind in a place far distant.” (Quran 22:31)

The wicked soul is then restored to its body and the two fearsome, dread-inspiring angels, Munkar and Nakeer, come to it for its interrogation. After making him sit up, they ask:

Munkar and Nakeer: “Who is your Lord?”

Disbelieving soul: “Alas, alas, I do not know.”

Munkar and Nakeer: “What is your religion?”

Disbelieving soul: “Alas, alas, I do not know.”

Munkar and Nakeer: “What do you say about this man (Muhammad) sent to you?”

Disbelieving soul: “Alas, alas I do not know.”

Having failed his test, the disbeliever’s head will be struck with an iron hammer with a force so violent that it would crumble a mountain. The cry will be heard from heaven: “He has lied, so spread out carpets of Hell for him, and open for him a portal into Hell.”[2] The floor of his grave is thus set alight with some of Hell’s fierce fire, and his grave is made narrow and constricted to the extent that his ribs become intertwined as his body is crushed.[3] Then, an incredibly ugly being, wearing ugly garments and giving off a foul and offensive odor comes to the disbelieving soul and says: “Be grieved with what displeases you, for this is your day which you have been promised.” The disbeliever will ask: “Who are you, with your face so ugly and bringing evil?” The ugly one will reply: “l am your wicked deeds!” The disbeliever is then made to taste bitter remorse as he is shown what would have been his abode in Paradise - had he lived a righteous life - before a portal is opened for him every morning and evening showing him his actual home in Hell.[4] Allah mentions in His Book how the wicked people of Pharaoh are, at this very moment, suffering from such an exposure to Hell from within their graves:

“The Fire: they are exposed to it, morning and afternoon, and on the Day when the Hour will be established (it will be said to the angels): ‘(Now) cause Pharaoh’s people to enter the severest torment!’” (Quran 40:46)

Overcome with fear and loathing, anxiety and despair, the disbeliever in his grave will keep asking: “My Lord, do not bring the last hour. Do not bring the last hour.”

The Companion, Zaid b. Thabit, narrated how, when the Prophet Muhammad and his Companions were once passing some graves of polytheists, the Prophet’s horse bolted and almost unseated him. The Prophet, may the mercy and blessings of God be upon him, then said:

“These people are being tortured in their graves, and were it not that you would stop burying your dead, I would ask God to let you hear the punishment in the grave which I (and this horse) can hear.” (Saheeh Muslim)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Footnotes:
[1] Al-Hakim, Abu Dawood, and others.

[2] Musnad Ahmad.

[3] Musnad Ahmad.

[4] Ibn Hibban.

Tyrion
04-24-2011, 12:13 AM
I guess you forgot the part where I said I would repent and ask for Allah's forgiveness and die testifying to the truth la ilaha il Allah, Muhammaddar Rasul Allah.

I never assume that I would be going straight to Jannah. If I do go, it is purely by the mercy of Allah, in which I place my hope.

Aren't we supposed to have more hope in Allah's mercy when we are nearing our end?
Ah, but you're overlooking the point I raised in the previous page. Who's to say your repentance would be accepted given your hypothetical scenario? Chances are it won't be...

If the Angel of Death were to come to me today and inform me that I have just one day left to live, I'd be super happy. What joy to think that I'm going to be freed from this prison and fly like a bird to a place of Eternal Pleasure, Peace and Happiness?! No more worrying, no more stress, no more getting tired, falling sick and no more struggle.
^That's the part I was referring to when I mentioned it seemed like you were assuming Jannah... Especially in this hypothetical scenario, it would seem odd for anyone to feel overjoyed and to think their meeting with the Angel implied paradise...

(I should clarify that I'm just having some fun and going along with the hypothetical scenario. I know it's not meant to be taken seriously. :p )

Flame of Hope
04-24-2011, 12:36 AM

Ah, but you're overlooking the point I raised in the previous page. Who's to say your repentance would be accepted given your hypothetical scenario? Chances are it won't be...
Chances are it won't be, huh? :p lol.

(I should clarify that I'm just having some fun and going along with the hypothetical scenario. I know it's not meant to be taken seriously. :p )
It is a hypothetical question. Sure! But you see, the whole point of the question was to make people stop and think.....tomorrow isn't guaranteed for anyone. When we wake up in the morning, there's no guarantee we'll live till the evening. And when we reach the evening, there's no guarantee that we'll see the morning.

A believer who is aware of these facts wouldn't squander away his time in futile pursuits, would he? This isn't a question that we can dismiss so easily.

I'd be glad if it made some people mindful of the Hereafter and seriously began to think about preparing themselves for DEATH. If it did, then all praise belongs to Allah. Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen!

Tyrion
04-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Chances are it won't be, huh? lol.
Uhm, yes. That's what I said. :p

It is a hypothetical question. Sure! But you see, the whole point of the question was to make people stop and think.....tomorrow isn't guaranteed for anyone. When we wake up in the morning, there's no guarantee we'll live till the evening. And when we reach the evening, there's no guarantee that we'll see the morning.

A believer who is aware of these facts wouldn't squander away his time in futile pursuits, would he? This isn't a question that we can dismiss so easily.

I'd be glad if it made some people mindful of the Hereafter and seriously began to think about preparing themselves for DEATH. If it did, then all praise belongs to Allah. Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen!
I know it's a hypothetical question, that's why I said it was... And I know about the whole "we should be mindful of death" thing... Ahah, I was just commenting on what you said earlier about your reaction.

But yeah, I suppose it would be awesome if the thread caused anyone to start thinking about death more. I personally don't really see this thread as doing that, but that's just me. :p Hopefully others took a reminder from it.

Flame of Hope
04-24-2011, 03:09 AM

I know it's a hypothetical question, that's why I said it was... And I know about the whole "we should be mindful of death" thing... Ahah, I was just commenting on what you said earlier about your reaction.
My reaction. Well, I was sort of compelled to answer the question I had myself asked. A brother specifically asked me to. lol. I didn't have a choice but to answer as truthfully as I could. :phew

This is indeed a hypothetical question......and of course all sensible people know very well that such a thing is never going to happen.

When death does come, it comes suddenly and without warning. The Angel of Death isn't so gracious as to come a day in advance to warn us that we have only 24 hours left to live.

Reality is much harsher. When death does come to one of us suddenly and without warning, we become full of regrets beseeching Allah to send us back to the world......so that we could repent.

If only it were true that the Angel of Death gave us a day to sort things out before we left this world.......sigh.

May Allah make us among those who frequently repent and weep over our sins. Ameen.

Tyrion
04-24-2011, 03:14 AM
My reaction. Well, I was sort of compelled to answer the question I had myself asked. A brother specifically asked me to. lol. I didn't have a choice but to answer as truthfully as I could.

This is indeed a hypothetical question......and of course all sensible people know very well that such a thing is never going to happen.

When death does come, it comes suddenly and without warning. The Angel of Death isn't so gracious as to come a day in advance to warn us that we have only 24 hours left to live.

Reality is much harsher. When death does come to one of us suddenly and without warning, we become full of regrets beseeching Allah to send us back to the world......so that we could repent.

If only it were true that the Angel of Death gave us a day to sort things out before we left this world.......sigh.

May Allah make us among those who frequently repent and weep over our sins. Ameen.
I feel like we're having some problems understanding each other... I was talking about your reaction as in... Your reaction to the angel of Death within your own hypothetical scenario... I was just commenting on that. Since there seems to be an issue in actually understanding what I was saying, I think we should just move on. It wasn't important anyway. I'm not sure why you keep going into how reality is not like the hypothetical situation though... We all get that.

Flame of Hope
04-24-2011, 03:29 AM

I feel like we're having some problems understanding each other... I was talking about your reaction as in... Your reaction to the angel of Death within your own hypothetical scenario... I was just commenting on that. Since there seems to be an issue in actually understanding what I was saying, I think we should just move on. It wasn't important anyway. I'm not sure why you keep going into how reality is not like the hypothetical situation though... We all get that.
If there's a misunderstanding, it ought to be cleared up, don't you think?

People have been giving differing answers to this hypothetical scenario. You haven't given yours, by the way.

If you don't mind me asking, how exactly SHOULD we respond if the Angel of Death suddenly came to take our soul? How would you respond? Please remember this is NOT a hypothetical question. This is for real. And this is something that is definitely going to happen...and can happen at any time.

Tyrion
04-24-2011, 03:35 AM
If there's a misunderstanding, it ought to be cleared up, don't you think?

People have been giving differing answers to this hypothetical scenario. You haven't given yours, by the way.

If you don't mind me asking, how exactly SHOULD we respond if the Angel of Death suddenly came to take our soul? How would you respond? Please remember this is NOT a hypothetical question. This is for real. And this is something that is definitely going to happen...and can happen at any time.
Lol, I've repeatedly tried to explain that all I was doing was questioning YOUR response, but I keep getting odd responses that never seem to answer anything. Like I said though, this is wasting time now and we should drop it.

And I did write a response of my own... Did you not catch my post in the previous page?

Flame of Hope
04-24-2011, 03:41 AM

Would any of our worship and repentance actually be accepted if we were told our time of death by the Angel of Death himself? I doubt they would be, since I think that might be kinda unfair...

This actually brought a verse of Quran to mind:

They say: "Why is not an angel sent down to him?" If we did send down an angel, the matter would be settled at once, and no respite would be granted them. (6:8, Yusuf Ali)

So yeah, in this particular case I think I'd just be terrified. :p
My sincere apologies. You did answer the question. But I didn't understand the part where you said....
Why do you think it would be kinda unfair?^o)

Tyrion
04-24-2011, 03:47 AM
My sincere apologies. You did answer the question. But I didn't understand the part where you said....
Why do you think it would be kinda unfair?
Well, the way I see it... If the Angel of Death were to come down and tell us we had a day to live, we would be at a rather unfair advantage when compared to everyone else... That, and the fact that life as a test (which is what our life is) would be pretty meaningless of we had an angel come to us and tell us about our death...

Also, that verse that was brought to mind seems eerily similar this scenario, and it makes sense that if an Angel were to come down, our test would be over at once. Hope that made sense. :p

Ramadhan
04-24-2011, 04:07 AM
Why do you think it would be kinda unfair?
It is clear from the Qur'an that our repentance is not accepted once we know absolutely for sure when we are going to die. It is from the story of fir'aun who repented when the sea was swallowing him, but it was too late.
If I can remember correctly, there's also some other stories from ahadeeth about the same thing.

Flame of Hope
04-24-2011, 04:10 AM

Well, the way I see it... If the Angel of Death were to come down and tell us we had a day to live, we would be at a rather unfair advantage when compared to everyone else... That, and the fact that life as a test (which is what our life is) would be pretty meaningless of we had an angel come to us and tell us about our death...

Also, that verse that was brought to mind seems eerily similar this scenario, and it makes sense that if an Angel were to come down, our test would be over at once. Hope that made sense. :p
Subhanallah! That really made sense! I never thought of it that way. You're right! We would have a rather unfair advantage, wouldn't we? :cry:

Am I glad I asked you to clarify!

Jazakallah khair for a beautiful perspective on this very hypothetical question.

Woodrow
04-24-2011, 05:04 AM
Although I have already replied here, I have had another thought ever since. I think it would be wonderful for somebody to be so blessed that when the Angel of Death comes, he will be a day late and the person he has come for was already resting peacefully waiting to enter Jannah.

Flame of Hope
04-24-2011, 07:22 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Yet for all of us the angel of death has visited us and has told us we will die tomorrow. If we find we do not die tomorrow, it is only because Allaah(swt) has chosen to let us live a little longer.

We have grown lax and lazy and no matter how many times we have been told we will die tomorrow, we always live life with the assumption that at the last minute we will be given more time.

None of us can truly say we are prepared for tomorrow, until we can welcome the Angel of Death with open arms and greet him as a Friend who has come out of love to bring us home.
Jazakallah khair for these words of insight. You have said it beautifully.

Flame of Hope
04-25-2011, 07:38 AM

Also, that verse that was brought to mind seems eerily similar this scenario, and it makes sense that if an Angel were to come down, our test would be over at once. Hope that made sense.
Tyrion, I've been thinking about what you've said. I now understand what you meant....

However, I'd like to add in a few points here regarding this hypothetical scenario.

First point: If the Angel of Death really were to come and give me 24 hours advance warning, I wouldn't be thinking about other people at all. I'd be predominantly concerned about my own fate........sorry, I'd be very selfish during this last stage of my life. And I would very much consider myself most fortunate that I have the "unfair advantage". I would see it as Allah's mercy to me. Which brings me to point number 2.

Second point: For some people the Angel of Death coming to warn a person about his or her impending death isn't at all a hypothetical thing. In some cases, this could be a reality. A doctor could come to one of us and say that our days are numbered. Aren't people who are given information about how long they have left to live fortunate? Can't we consider them to be people who have an "unfair advantage" compared to everyone else?

A person who knows that he hasn't many days left to live would be a lucky person indeed. He can spend his remaining days, repenting to Allah and making amends to people he had wronged.

Thus elderly people, sickly people have an "unfair advantage"...

People suffering from serious fatal diseases like cancer have an "unfair advantage"....

The news that they are going to die soon ought to make them happy.

Tyrion
04-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Thus elderly people, sickly people have an "unfair advantage"...

People suffering from serious fatal diseases like cancer have an "unfair advantage"....
Not true. The original question had an actual Angel descending from the heavens to tell you, face to face, your time of death. This is different, and would end our test here on Earth. I think naidamar also said it well:

format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
It is clear from the Qur'an that our repentance is not accepted once we know absolutely for sure when we are going to die. It is from the story of fir'aun who repented when the sea was swallowing him, but it was too late.
If I can remember correctly, there's also some other stories from ahadeeth about the same thing.

Flame of Hope
04-25-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by naidamar
Yes, I completely agree with that. This is when death comes too close to you. But if you have a day (24 hours) or a month notice in advance, then would it be the same scenario? If you say yes, then old people and people suffering from cancer have no hope whatsoever.

Tyrion
04-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Yes, I completely agree with that. This is when death comes too close to you. But if you have a day (24 hours) or a month notice in advance, then would it be the same scenario? If you say yes, then old people and people suffering from cancer have no hope whatsoever.
I think you're misunderstanding part of what makes the Angel coming down unfair... It's not just that you'd know when you're going to die, but it's also because you've been given a kind of physical proof that nobody else has been given, and with that your test is now pointless and therefore over, making any repentance meaningless... This is very different from someone who has just been told by their doctor that they have a month to live... Hope that makes sense.

abjad
04-25-2011, 08:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
:mmokay: Asking Allah for forgiveness is a better solution akhi.
but
that is not the time asking 4 Forgiveness (is 0n this world)

there judgment !!!

in jihad
05-01-2011, 12:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
you do know that you wont be able to meet Allah right after death? Not till you get into Jannah when Allah will remove the veil. Till then we cant say that death = meeting Allah.

First of all I do not think Angel of death will come and tell me that he will come tomorrow to take my soul. Why? because no one knows the time of death except Allah. Angel of death is then breaking the word of Allah by telling me that I will die tomorrow when I have only 1 day to live. What is the point of doing that? Where is angel of death right now? I dont think he has any control over his will.

In Islam, angel of death comes, takes the soul/human physically dies, takes the soul to heaven, human is buried in meanwhile or burnt to ashes, and then soul is returned in the grave and questions are asked and the soul remains in human body within the grave till Qiyama. I do not know what happens to the soul of those who get their corpses burnt after dying and get them spread into the wilderness such as the Rockies. And I also do not know if Munqir and Naqeer ask such ppl the questions of the 'grave" since there is no grave to begin with.

I will have nothing to ask him if he comes, for he comes without telling and goes without telling within picoseconds.

I know I don't get to see Allah straight after I die. Death is first step in journey. I not say death = meet Allah. There is no guarantee anyone going to Jannah and see Allah. I only say that becoz the prophet saws told us that whoever die as Muslim will enter jannah. So why shouldn't I be happy about news of my coming death? I wud have chance to die as muslim and mebbe die while I am in prayer. Also prophet saws told us to have more hope in Allah's mercy when close to dying. If after knowing all this we still think that we will not go to jannah, then was the prophet saws lying about what he said? If tis true, then we have plenty reason to hope of receiving God's mercy.

I think as muslims and believers in allah and the teaching of prophet muhammad saws we must always be like this, whether the angel of death come to us to warn us or not. So even if the angel don't come, tis ok for me. I still be praying and waiting and hoping for allah's mercy and I still be doing the best I can worshiping allah. So it don't matter to me when the angel come.

There is one story which go like this:

Ismaaeel ibn Zakariya described Habeeb ibn Muhammad, who was a neighbour of his. He said: "Every evening I heard him weeping and every morning I heard him weeping, so I went to his wife and said: 'What is the matter with him? He weeps in the evening and he weeps in the morning!' She said to me: 'By Allaah, when evening comes he fears that he will not live till morning and when morning comes he fears that he will not live till evening.'"

I try to live my life like this and this is what it mean to be prepared. If u prepared then the news of death is happy news. If u not prepared it's bad news.

Flame of Hope
05-04-2011, 08:56 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by in jihad
only say that becoz the prophet saws told us that whoever die as Muslim will enter jannah. So why shouldn't I be happy about news of my coming death? I wud have chance to die as muslim and mebbe die while I am in prayer. Also prophet saws told us to have more hope in Allah's mercy when close to dying. If after knowing all this we still think that we will not go to jannah, then was the prophet saws lying about what he said? If tis true, then we have plenty reason to hope of receiving God's mercy.
No, of course it's unthinkable that the Prophet (saws) was lying when he (saws) told us that we would go to Jannah if we died as Muslims. I think, that's not the point as I suddenly realized it today. Even if the Angel of Death did come to give us a warning that we would soon die, we still can't be sure that we would die as Muslims. Even after knowledge has come to us and we know the truth about dying with la ilaha il Allah upon our lips, we can never be sure that when the final minute comes and we take our last breath, we would indeed die upon The Straight Path.

This is because Shaytan will do his utmost to mislead us, especially during the end time. He would do everything in his power to fool us and deceive us. He would try to distract us and get our attention away from death and the Hereafter. He might even convince us that the Angel of Death was not real. That it was a figment of our imagination. And we might decide that we do not want to believe the Angel's warning. So we could end up not taking the warning seriously and spend our time the way we usually do......perhaps in futile and vain pursuits, until death comes to us all of a sudden.

The point is, we can never be sure how we will die and whether we will indeed die as Muslims. The thought is frightening.

May Allah make us among those who die as true believers upon the Sirat al Mustaqeem. Ameen.

جوري
05-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Supposing the Angel of Death came to you today......

Then finally the comment I make every time I am sick will be meaningful ...

''Death have you finally come for me?''

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!