/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hello

maryambintjared
04-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Hi everybody. I'm new here, a Christian, but very sympathetic to Islam, which I'm trying to learn more about. Professionally I meet a lot of Muslims, and am learning Arabic, which has inspired me to study more so that I can learn to read the Quran in it's original. I hope that people here will be happy to answer my questions as I study, and I intend to be respectful at all times. If I ever say anything which offends, please let me know so that I can avoid it in future. And thank you for this site.

God bless you all.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
maryambintjared
04-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Also to let you know that today I am waiting for my Qu'raan to arrive so that I can start reading, and have been pointed to some links about Muslim monotheism. If anyone has any advice about where online I can seek out more information I would be very grateful.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Hello and greetings of peace to you

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your stay here

Hope that your stay here is also beneficial. It is nice to know that you want to learn about the beautiful way of life, please free to ask any questions you have, and we will try our best to answer your questions.

.. peace ..

tigerkhan
04-18-2011, 08:27 AM
welcom to the forum sister.
format_quote Originally Posted by maryambintjared
I hope that people here will be happy to answer my questions as I study, and I intend to be respectful at all times. If I ever say anything which offends, please let me know so that I can avoid it in future
thats great. i always like ppl who care for the feeling of other esp in sense of religion. but dont worry and feel free to ask qst, no1 will mind insh but will try best to answer ur qst.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ubeyde
04-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Hi welcome to the forum!

I think it's good that you are trying to look into Islam seriously, I think it also good that you should post as much questions you may have as possible as it gives us a chance to use some of that knowledge we may have aquired and give you the answer :) Inshallah ta'ala.

selsebil
04-18-2011, 12:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryambintjared
Also to let you know that today I am waiting for my Qu'raan to arrive so that I can start reading, and have been pointed to some links about Muslim monotheism. If anyone has any advice about where online I can seek out more information I would be very grateful.
Welcome to the forum sister.Hope you'd benefit from your stay here.Here is a good source for Muslim monoteism which proves existence of One Creator:

http://www.lightofquran.info/22word.htm

maryambintjared
04-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Thank you all for your responses. :)

I felt rather shocked recently when my pastor (a very good man indeed) told me that Christians (direct quote) "are not strict montheists." I'd been asking him about the trinity and saying it was a bit over my head.

The thing is, I truly love Jesus and believe that He was the Son of God (this does not mean that I believe He was the biological son of God, but a special creation, as was Adam... and I think that might be compatible with Islam, since you also believe that He was concieved specially, and born of a virgin.) So at the least, I know that we believe in a Jesus who was special, and different from other men. I also believe that Jesus, unlike Adam (also specially created) did not sin against God, and therefore retained that special relationship... that is to say a "sonship." He did not divorce His human nature from His father. Please understand that I'm not suggesting God is a father in a "human" sense, but that He is father in a relational sense. God loves us, as the Quraan says so beautifully, He is the all merciful, the all compassionate.

But I find it distressing to hear that God is not "One", when Jesus Himself said in response to questioning, "Hear Oh Israel, the Lord Our God, the Lord is One, and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and all your mind, and all your soul, and all your strength."

The idea of accidently offending God by worshipping Him wrongly really upsets me... I want to love Him with all my heart, and soul, and mind and strength. At the same time the idea of honouring Jesus less than He deserves as the special creation of God, son of a virgin, who will return in the end of the ages... that really upsets me. Because from a Christian point of view, He's the one who defeated death, who resisted sin, and who will be my advocate before the Great Judge when the last day comes.

Bear with me please, I've read the Quraan once, as a literary thing, before I was truly interested in Islam... now that I am interested, I've not got beyond the first Suraah, and keep re reading it. I know the Quraan is not a terribly long book, but I don't feel it's the kind of book that one should just read in one sitting.

I realise that I'll keep putting my foot in it, and answering the wrong way, asking the wrong questions, but I really do want to understand.

Oh... and I have read part of the second surah... enough to realise how dreadful a thing it is to be hung up on the etiquette of religion, without paying attention to the truth of it. (The children of Israel going on and on about what kind of heifer they should sacrifice, instead of just gladly doing what they were asked.) I want to be someone who just does what God asks, rather than picking on details and putting it off.

So anyone reading this who prays... could you pray that I ask the right questions, read all the scriptures (including Christian and Hebrew) well, and remain truly open to what God is saying? That I appreciate God's kindness and generosity and love, and respond in kind?

Thank you all again,

Aprender
04-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Welcome to the forum. I see that you and I are on a similar journey here. Glad to have you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!