/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Allah loves those who He tests

Reflections
04-19-2011, 10:28 PM
AsSalaamu Aalaykum WarahmatAllah,

For those who are feeling like they are going through a difficult time in life..there is hope that Allah is bringing them closer to him..as RasullulAllah (sallalalahu alayhi wasalam) has mentioned:

Anas (radiallaahu anhu) reported that the Prophet (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) said: "When Allah wills good for a servant of His, He expedites his punishment in this life; and when He wills retribution for a servant of His, He holds his sins for Him to judge him by them on the Day of Resurrection."
[Tirmithee]

Abu Hurayrah (radiallaahu 'anhu) reported that the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) said: " Hardships continue to befall a believing man and woman's body, family, and property, until they meet Allah (swt) burdened with no sins." [ Tirmithee ]

Abu Sa'eed al-Khudree (radiallaahu anhu) reported that the Prophet (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) said: " A muslim is not afflicted by hardship, sickness, sadness, worry, harm, or depression - even if pricked by a thorn, but Allah expiates his sins because of that. " [Bukharee and Muslim]

But what if you feel like you're never being tested..does that mean you're not close to Allah?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Flame of Hope
04-19-2011, 10:32 PM
:wasalamex

format_quote Originally Posted by Bint Abi
But what if you feel like you're never being tested..does that mean you're not close to Allah?
Sister, the test of prosperity is often a harder test than the test of calamity.

Ghazalah
04-19-2011, 10:32 PM
I love those hadiths! JazakAllahu Kharan sis.

Abu Sa'eed al-Khudree (radiallaahu anhu) reported that the Prophet (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) said: " A muslim is not afflicted by hardship, sickness, sadness, worry, harm, or depression - even if pricked by a thorn, but Allah expiates his sins because of that. " [Bukharee and Muslim]
What other religion is more beautiful than this? SubhanAllah. I love being Muslim Alhamdillah. :wub:

Reflections
04-19-2011, 10:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Flame
:wasalamex

Sister, the test of prosperity is often a harder test than the test of calamity.

Care to explain that one sister?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Flame of Hope
04-20-2011, 03:44 AM
:sl:

Care to explain that one sister?
I was really hoping you wouldn't ask that. lol.

Calamities and hardships bring us back to reality and make us aware of our helplessness, our neediness and complete dependence on Allah. One moment a man may be rich and wealthy, possessing everything and the next moment a calamity strikes and he loses it all. One may not consider such a calamity to be bad at all. It's a blessing in disguise. It's a blessing if it causes the man to realize his true standing before Allah. It's a blessing if the calamity makes him realize that nothing belongs to him and that all power is in Allah's hands. What a blessing indeed if a man turns to Allah in repentance!

Prosperity on the other hand has the opposite effect. It causes people to forget their Creator, to take things for granted, to become complacent, to consider themselves self-sufficient and be neglectful of their duties and responsibilities. People begin to take things easy and become proud of their accomplishments. They become victims of the glitter of this worldly life, running after ease, comfort, wealth and worldly pleasures. On the Day of Judgment, the wealthy will have more things to give account for as well.

So considering what's involved, you would need to have strong faith indeed to get through the trial of prosperity.

siam
04-20-2011, 03:53 AM
I like Flame's reply.....

here is another way to look at it.....
All that we have is from God, our blessings---such as our wealth, come from God. But with blessings also comes responsibility. The more wealth we have, the more responsibility we have towards those who are less fortunate. This responsiblity is the test that God provides for those who have been given extra blessings. Those who suffer the burden of trials are given extra blessings, either in this life or the next. In this way, God balances things so that we are all equal. His Justice, Compassion and Mercy extends to all.

tigerkhan
04-20-2011, 02:55 PM
but if a person iman goes to lowest level due to such hardships, maybe sometime one think in mind that it is punishment from Allah SWT for some sins. its a dificult situation indeed.

aboelwafa
04-22-2011, 03:35 AM
thank for you

Flame of Hope
04-26-2011, 01:16 AM

......the test of prosperity is often a harder test than the test of calamity.
A hadith warns about the dangers.......(something to think about.....)

Allah's Messenger (saw) said "Beware of leading a life of ease and comfort for verily the real slaves of Allah are not those who live in ease and comfort" (Ahmad, Abu Nu'aym in al-Hilyah)

Ramadhan
04-26-2011, 02:09 AM
Very true. Unless you have constant, strong eeman, it's very easy to remember Allah and akheerah when you have everything in this world. Not many pass the prosperity and worldly successes tests.
I only have to look at my life to verify this.
I remember I started to stray off from Islam when I already started getting successes at a young age. And I was wandering in the paths to hell for years and would have stayed there had I not started experiencing misfortunes and calamities that brought me back to Islam and the straight path. Alhamdulillah.
I am praying all the time that Allah keep guiding me even when I'm having worldly successes because I shudder to think what would have happened and its afterlife consequences.

Flame of Hope
04-26-2011, 04:16 AM

Ummu Sufyaan
04-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Prosperity on the other hand has the opposite effect. It causes people to forget their Creator, to take things for granted, to become complacent, to consider themselves self-sufficient and be neglectful of their duties and responsibilities. People begin to take things easy and become proud of their accomplishments. They become victims of the glitter of this worldly life, running after ease, comfort, wealth and worldly pleasures. On the Day of Judgment, the wealthy will have more things to give account for as well.
I disagree. prosperity can cause you to be closer to Allah...just like a trial can take you away from Allah.

a person who has a job and wealth can be grateful to Allah. a person who has lost their health can be ungrateful to Allah.

tigerkhan
04-30-2011, 02:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
I disagree. prosperity can cause you to be closer to Allah...just like a trial can take you away from Allah.

a person who has a job and wealth can be grateful to Allah. a person who has lost their health can be ungrateful to Allah.
ground realities are exactly opposite to ur opinion. i never see a poor person but mostly they say alhumdullaih and when got in this fitna of money and luxury, forgot someone is their creator and always unsatisfied and wishing for more.

Haya emaan
04-30-2011, 03:32 PM
i agree prosperity may lead away from Allah... you are lost in enjoying the luxuries ease and comfort of money..
that is why your children and wealth is said to be your exam in this world

Ummu Sufyaan
05-02-2011, 03:54 AM
ground realities are exactly opposite to ur opinion. i never see a poor person but mostly they say alhumdullaih and when got in this fitna of money and luxury, forgot someone is their creator and always unsatisfied and wishing for more.
that cant be true for everyone though. there are people who are wealthy and give their money and means to those less fortunate then them.

Flame of Hope
05-04-2011, 10:52 PM

This is also true. The test of hardship many times reveals the ungrateful ones.

Here's an article regarding that....note the last sentence:

The Perfect Believer

Imam Ibn ul Jawzee

Translated from Sayd ul-Khatir, p. 364
Publ. by Dar Al Yaqeen

The believer is not one who performs the ordained religious duties superficially and avoids what is forbidden only, but he is one whose faith is absolute, with no objection whatsoever arising in his heart and no obsession dwelling in his soul. The more hardships he faces, the more his faith grows and the more his submission strengthens.

He could pray and not see a trace of an answer to his prayers, yet he does not change because he knows that he is owned by One who deals with him in whatever way He chooses. For if an objection was to arise in his heart, he then forsakes the role of the slave and takes on the role of a protester such as that of Iblees (the devil).

A strong faith unveils itself in strong hardships.

A believer sees in Yahya, son of Zakariyya, a fine example. He was killed by a tyrant who confronted him, yet He (subhanahu wa ta`ala), who made him a prophet, did not intervene nor defend him.

Similarly all the tyranny that befell the prophets and the believers was not held back from them. If one goes to think that Divinity cannot answer for them then one is an unbeliever. However if one believes that Divinity can answer for them but chooses not to, and that God (subhanahu wa ta`ala) can make the believers go hungry while infidels are full and inflict the believers with sickness and grant the infidels health, then one is only left with submission to the Owner even when tormented or scorched.

Jacob cried for eighty years when Joseph son of Jacob (peace be upon him) was gone, he never gave up; all he said when his other son was gone too is “May God bring all of them back to me”.

Moses (peace be upon him) prayed against Pharaoh, who killed children and crucified magicians and cut their hands, for 40 years before he was answered.

In such submission the intense of one’s strong faith is manifested not in mere rak`at (bowings in prayer).

So many of those who glorify Qadar were afflicted with tribulations and this did not increase them except in submission and pleasure (with their Lord), and there lies an explanation of the meaning of His words, "Allah is pleased with them" (Qur'an, 5:119 and elsewhere).

Al-Hasan Al-Basree said: people are the same in health but when hardship befalls they show distinction.

-------------

Salahudeen
05-04-2011, 10:58 PM
jazakAllah khair :)

Flame of Hope
05-05-2011, 01:25 AM

For some the test of adversity and hardship brings about their downfall, for others it's the test of prosperity. Overall, the test of prosperity is harder and greater.

Here's a story that highlights the point that hardship is better for us than prosperity.

Ali radhiyAllaahu anhu said:"I went out one cold morning from my house and i was hungry,craving and the cold had much weakened me, so i took a cut skin which we had with us and wrapped it round me like a jacket and then drew it upto my neck and secured it to my chest in order to warm myself. By Allaah,there was nothing to eat in my house and if there had been anything in the house of the Prophet salAllaahu alaihi wa aalihi wa sallam, he would have sent me some.

I went out to one of the outlying parts of Medina and i saw a man in his garden through a hole in his wall. He said:"O Arab, what about a date for every bucket?" I replied,'yes', so he opened the wall for me to come in and i did so. Then i drew up the bucket and he would give me a date until I had filled my palm. i then said:"I've had enough from you," and then i ate them and drank some water.

Then i came to the Rasoolullahi salAllaahu alaihi wa aalihi wa sallam and sat down beside him in the mosque. He was amongst a group of companions and Mus'ab Ibn Umayr radhiyAllaahu anhu also came upto this, wearing a patched cloak. When Rasoolullahi salAllaahu alaihi wa aalihi wa sallam caught sight of Mus'ab, he mentioned what a blessing was to be found in it and when he saw his condition, his eyes filled with tears and he wept saying,

"How would you like to be able to go out in the morning wearing one garment and go out in the evening in another and for your houses to be just as protected as the Ka'bah?"

We replied:"That day we would be in a good state.Our provision would be sufficient and we would be able to devote ourselves entirely to worship."

He said:"Today your state is better than that day."

[Al-Kanz Vol.3.,pg.321]

M.I.A.
05-05-2011, 02:02 AM
nearly every family i know that has undergone hardship in supporting itself has been destroyed, i know myself that if it were not for falling back onto my parents my own family would have had no hope whatsoever.
..it does not make for happy parents.
..the mrs n baby are another problem that should have been a blessing.

Jalal~
05-05-2011, 02:05 AM
He could pray and not see a trace of an answer to his prayers, yet he does not change because he knows that he is owned by One who deals with him in whatever way He chooses.
in my opinion, this is probably the hardest way of life. i mean, constantly praying with no answer from Allah? I don't know how the Prophets did this, but you have to have a lot of faith and patience. So, i was wondering, if anyone has any articles about ways of increasing faith and/or patience? Jazakallah Khair.

Flame of Hope
05-05-2011, 02:36 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by halalmeat4free
in my opinion, this is probably the hardest way of life. i mean, constantly praying with no answer from Allah? I don't know how the Prophets did this, but you have to have a lot of faith and patience. So, i was wondering, if anyone has any articles about ways of increasing faith and/or patience? Jazakallah Khair.
No answer from Allah doesn't mean that your prayers aren't heard. Generally speaking, the stronger your faith is, the less help you will receive from Allah. The weaker your faith, the more the help.

If a man were to give up his belief in Allah, give in to despair and lose hope in Allah's mercy because Allah hasn't answered his prayers, wouldn't that be an indication of weak faith?

This is the reason why the people who face the greatest trials and hardships are the prophets and messengers.

This is made clear in the following hadith:

The Prophet (saws) said: "Those who face the toughest trials and hardships are the Prophets, then the most pious people and then those less than them (in terms of piety); a person continues to be afflicted until he walks on earth without having a sin (on his record of deeds).'' [Al-Bukhaari].

Flame of Hope
05-05-2011, 02:40 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
nearly every family i know that has undergone hardship in supporting itself has been destroyed, i know myself that if it were not for falling back onto my parents my own family would have had no hope whatsoever.
..it does not make for happy parents.
..the mrs n baby are another problem that should have been a blessing.
To be content with Allah's decree is the mark of a strong believer. So no matter what happens, whether it is prosperity or adversity, the believer's faith isn't ruffled in the slightest.

The Prophet (saws) said: "How wonderful is the case of a believer for there is good in every affair of his and this is not the case with anyone else except the believer. If he is blessed with prosperity, he thanks Allaah, thus there is a good for him in it, and if he is afflicted, he endures it patiently and there is good for him in that." [Muslim]

Abu Zainab
05-05-2011, 02:51 AM
That depends on what your actions are. If you are constantly repenting, praying, spending in the cause of Allaah all the while following the Quran and sunnah and you are prosperous at the same time then you are close to Allaah inshallaah. Allaah gives of His bounty to whomsoever He pleases. So if you feel that you are not tested just bow down your head in prostration and say Alhamdulillaah and ask Him to increase your eemaan.

But if that prosperity is the cause of you neglecting your prayers and other waajibaat then thats a trial in itself as sister Flame has said.

M.I.A.
05-05-2011, 03:04 AM

To be content with Allah's decree is the mark of a strong believer. So no matter what happens, whether it is prosperity or adversity, the believer's faith isn't ruffled in the slightest.

The Prophet (saws) said: "How wonderful is the case of a believer for there is good in every affair of his and this is not the case with anyone else except the believer. If he is blessed with prosperity, he thanks Allaah, thus there is a good for him in it, and if he is afflicted, he endures it patiently and there is good for him in that." [Muslim]
lol it has become a running joke within family and friends, im not content but alhamdulillah. keep trying.

Flame of Hope
05-10-2011, 07:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
lol it has become a running joke within family and friends, im not content but alhamdulillah. keep trying.

In the intricate paths of life,
when difficulties and hardships confront a man,
and the darkness of difficulty and suffering becomes long,
it is patience only that acts like a light for a Muslim,
that keeps him safe from wandering here and there,
and saves him from the muddy marsh of disappointment, desperation and frustration.

- Abu Hamid al-Ghazali(ra)

Flame of Hope
05-10-2011, 07:21 AM
“Do not resent the calamities that come and the disasters that occur; perhaps in something that you dislike will be your salvation, and perhaps in something that you prefer will be your doom.”

-Hasan al-Basri(ra)

Ummu Sufyaan
05-10-2011, 11:34 AM
its not quite clear what you are saying.

this:
For some the test of adversity and hardship brings about their downfall, for others it's the test of prosperity. Overall, the test of prosperity is harder and greater.
or this:
Here's a story that highlights the point that hardship is better for us than prosperity.
Generally speaking, the stronger your faith is, the less help you will receive from Allah. The weaker your faith, the more the help.
really?

If a man were to give up his belief in Allah, give in to despair and lose hope in Allah's mercy because Allah hasn't answered his prayers, wouldn't that be an indication of weak faith?
So by your logic, if someone is to despair, they are going to receive Allah's help?

This is the reason why the people who face the greatest trials and hardships are the prophets and messengers.
so to clarify, you're saying that the messengers and Prophets didn't get help from Allah becuase they were strong in Iman?

This is made clear in the following hadith:

The Prophet (saws) said: "Those who face the toughest trials and hardships are the Prophets, then the most pious people and then those less than them (in terms of piety); a person continues to be afflicted until he walks on earth without having a sin (on his record of deeds).'' [Al-Bukhaari].
im not entirely sure how this hadith is related to what you are saying. it doesnt seem to contain any traces to your point.

Flame of Hope
05-10-2011, 07:10 PM

What I'm saying is clear. The test of prosperity is the harder test for man.

Generally speaking, the stronger your faith is, the less help you will receive from Allah. The weaker your faith, the more the help.
This is also clearly stated. Those who are weak in iman get more from Allah. Think of the disbelievers. Think of how much wealth and prosperity that Allah bestows upon them. For them is the enjoyment of the goods of this worldly life. But for believers, Allah sends hardships so that they may get better in the Hereafter. And among believers there are those with weak faith. GENERALLY speaking, those with weaker faith will be given more......the more here refers to the goods of this worldly life.

So by your logic, if someone is to despair, they are going to receive Allah's help?
Somewhere in the Qur'an, if I am not mistaken, there's a verse that states that only the disbelievers despair of Allah's mercy. So the lower your degree of faith, the sooner will a man give in to despair. The man with a high degree of faith would never despair. The test of hardship reveals who among mankind has greater or lesser faith.

Allah helps those who do not give in to despair by strengthening their hearts with patience. He doesn't remove the calamity or hardship but He gives the heart of his believing servant the ability to endure the pain and suffering for the sake of Allah.

As for those who give in to despair, they have already given up hope that Allah will help them. Thus, their hearts do not receive the blessing of patience. That is indeed a great loss.

so to clarify, you're saying that the messengers and Prophets didn't get help from Allah becuase they were strong in Iman?
That's right. It was a long time before they received Allah's help. Until then, they had to be patient.

im not entirely sure how this hadith is related to what you are saying. it doesnt seem to contain any traces to your point.
I don't think I have said anything to contradict that hadith. Allah tests man with both hardships and prosperity. Hardships are better for man than prosperity.

Precious Star
05-10-2011, 08:30 PM
I think it is important not to overanalyze this issue to the nth degree. We know that God works in mysterious ways. As much as he tests the righteous with trials, we also know that he tests the non-righteous with trials, too; and we also know many people in our lives who live righteous lives but who never experience trials. At the end of the day, not one of us can say that there is an unequivocal pattern. Let's be content with what has been written in the Quran and Sunnah; but as mere mortals we cannot assume the rationale behind every test Allah SWT inflicts on us.

I am being tested as I write this. I am in a dark chapter of my life. But, it would be arrogant for me to assume that it is because Allah SWT is pleased with me. I know I have committed errors in my life...we all have, not one of us are angels!....so for all I know, the reason for my affliction is due to my sins.

I don't know, and no one knows. All we can do is pray for mercy, forgiveness, and the best in this life and the hereafter.

Flame of Hope
05-10-2011, 09:56 PM

The point of this thread: That prosperity is often a harder test than the test of hardship.....

Muhammad bin Ka'b said:
"If Allâh desires good for a servant, he makes him abstain from the worldly pleasures, gives him understanding of the religion, and allows him to see his own mistakes. Whoever is given these qualities is given all the good that is in this World and the next." - [Wakee' bin al-Jarrah's 'Kitab az-Zuhd']

Worldly pleasures consist of riches and prosperity. This can completely ruin a man....but Allah saves man from that by making him abstain from worldly pleasures.....

Abu Bakr (ra) made this du'aa regarding riches of this world, ie prosperity....

"O Lord, grant me the riches of the world and then enable me to renounce them."

The Prophet (saws) was offered all the riches of Arabia. He could have lived like a king in luxury and comfort. Instead he lived very simply and turned away from worldly riches and prosperity.

Flame of Hope
05-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Another proof of what worldly wealth and riches can do:

-------------------

Ibrâhîm b. ‘Abd Al-Rahmân b. ‘Auf reports:

‘Umar b. Al-Khattâb – Allah be pleased with him – was given the treasures of the Persian Emperor (after his conquest), ‘Abdullah b. Arqam asked, “Are you going to put this into the public treasury (bayt al-mâl) until you can distribute it?” ‘Umar replied, “No by Allah, I will not take this under a roof before I have passed it on.” So they put it in the middle of the mosque and spent the night guarding it. In the morning, ‘Umar uncovered the treasure and saw such an amount of gold and silver that it almost shone; so he began to cry. ‘Abd Al-Rahmân b. ‘Auf – Allah be pleased with him – said, “Why do you cry o Amîr of the Believers? This is a day of thanks and a day of happiness for sure.” ‘Umar replied, “Woe to you, this has never been given to a people except that it has cast enmity and hatred amongst them.”

[Ibn Al-Mubârak in Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqâ`iq Vol. 2 p595, 596.]

---------------------

Note: Most people would think the riches are a blessing and give thanks to Allah for it. They would call it "a day of happiness".

But a person of knowledge like 'Umar knew better. He didn't cry because he was happy. He cried because it was a great fitnah and trial.

Flame of Hope
05-11-2011, 06:34 PM
TURNING TOWARDS GOD IN THE WORST MOMENT MOMENTS IN OUR LIVES

Many of us have experienced, are experiencing or will experience difficult moments that make us wonder whether there is any hope for our future. These moments rock the foundations of our inner selves. They can throw us into abysses of doubt and devastate our self-esteem, nearly obliterating our sense of hope for a life that we dreamed of.

These moments are often full of anger, sadness, regret, or a combination of all. They show up in our lives as the death of our child, emotionally painful marital strife or divorce, through difficult living situations, or health problems that wage war upon our physical bodies which leave us in constant pain. They can materialize through financial losses, physical assault, or sexual abuse and victimization.

How does one recover from these traumatic times? How does one trudge through them and come out of the other side still capable of functioning and finding some semblance of joy in life? And how does one deal with the realities of these problems, and find the strength to develop optimism and happiness again?

If you are being victimized or have thought about hurting yourself – seek help from professionals immediately.

Before we discuss how to turn towards God to withstand tribulations and heal the rifts in our hearts, I want to mention that if you are being hurt physically in any way, you should not hesitate for a single moment in seeking help from the authorities. Contact a friend, a school counselor, a teacher, or the police. Many people hold off on doing so, thinking that their situation will get better or that reporting their victimization will somehow bring dishonor on their family; they think their abuser will one day stop. This only makes bringing an end to the abuse more difficult. You need empowering to end the situation immediately, and then we can begin to discuss your healing process. The same goes for anyone thinking about hurting themselves or have already self-harmed. Before any progress can begin spiritually, this physical complication needs to end.

Islam values the roles of expertise and professionalism, as the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Verily Allah has prescribed proficiency (إحسان) in all things” (Muslim). We should remember that religion alone is not a ‘cure all’ – but that each subject field has its own set of professionals and licensed workers who can help us through various issues. Thus, if victimized, we should always seek to protect ourselves through the professionals in law enforcement, and sound medical advice – in addition to prayer and faith.

The Trap We Fall Into: “When my situation is better, I will be able turn to God and practice my religion better.”

One of the reasons for Islam’s revelation, along with improving the human condition and pointing the way towards Allah’s worship and love, is to give us the spiritual sustenance we need to navigate through life’s tribulations.

As Muslims we can make the mistake of idealizing Islam as being some kind of perfect lifestyle that if implemented ‘we will have the perfect life, without the trials and difficulties we face today’. We may think that Islam is a set of teachings, rules, and acts that we can only incorporate fully when our lives aren’t so messed up. What happens when we think this?

Firslty, we may suffer withdrawal symptoms of finding sweetness in our prayers and pray just to get salat out of the way, if we pray at all. We break our relationship with the Qur’an. We might start to withdraw emotionally and spiritually from engaging with Islam as an active path to allow God’s Light to burn away the impurities, the anger, the sadness, the depression, and the burden in our hearts. Finally we may completely stop thinking about Islam altogether, learning about it, and conversing with it. We instead believe that before we can engage with Islam and partake in strengthening an ongoing relationship with God – we need to lick our wounds and heal from the calamity that has befallen us.

This thinking is a fatal mistake that first and foremost is one of Shaitan’s (Satan) best tricks: to push us away from engaging Islam and pursuing a relationship with God, precisely when our hearts are bursting with negative emotions and sadness. Shaitan dupes us precisely when we NEED GOD THE MOST. This in turn misplaces the reason why Islam came with a form of worship to God and functional way of life. Islam came to strengthen us, heal us, and ultimately guide us to salvation from these trials of life. Whether those trials are spiritual, material, emotional, or all of the above, we must maintain that Allah (swt) is our Friend. The One Who will never leave His worshipper alone. The One God Who will never forsake His slave. He is Allah. And His names tell us about His true attributes:

As-Salam – The Source of Peace
Al-Muhaymin – The Guardian
Al-Qahhaar – The One Who Subdues with Strength
Ar-Razzaaq – The Provider
Al-Fattah – The Giver of Victory
Al-Latif – The Gentle
Al-Nur – the Light
Al-Mu’eed – The Restorer

So, we come to the main question. If we are going through a tribulation and we are stressed with what no-one in the world understands, why would we not want the Source of Peace on our side? Why wouldn’t we want to engage with Ar-Razzaaq, The Provider to strengthen us? Why do we shy away from studying and delving into life’s trials that the Giver of Victory has sent down to us?

It is time to ask the only One Who Subdues with Strength to subdue our sorrow, and ask God to shine His light into our lives and Restore our joy. This is why Muslims use du`a’ (supplication) for anxiety as taught to us by the Prophet (saws):

“O Allah, I am Your servant, son/ daughter of Your servant, son/ daughter of Your maidservant, my forelock is in Your hand, Your command over me is forever executed and Your decree over me is just. I ask You by every name belonging to You, which You name Yourself with, or revealed in Your Book, or You taught to any of Your creation, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the unseen with You, that You make the Qur’an the life of my heart and the light of my breast, and a departure for my sorrow and a release for my anxiety.”

Just look at this beautiful du`a’ taught to us by our Prophet (saws). Here, we are reminded of Allah’s (swt) Overwhelming Dominance over everything and over ourselves. We are also reminded of His Names, so that we can feel connected to His unlimited abilities that help us understand His roles in our lives. And finally, we are reminded of the Book – the Qur’an – that He sent, and through the Qur’an, the religion that is outlined for us.

But how can the Qur’an be our heart’s light and a release for our sorrows if we never read it? How, if we did not drown ourselves in it and in learning its secrets?

The Test is Not Whether We Bear Calamity, But Whether it Pushes Us Towards Allah

We know from Surat-al-Mulk that Allah (swt) has created life and death in order to try us and test us. We also know that Allah (swt) tries those whom He loves. However, there is more to life than simply passing a test of difficulty.

The test is not only whether or not we will bear the burden we are given, with patience. The test is also accepting that for our patience, at the end of the road is a guaranteed reward. It is accepting that a child we lost will insha`Allah (God willing) play with Prophet Ibrahim (as) in Paradise. That through patience a broken marriage devoid of love will be replaced by one that is better in this world or in the Hereafter. And that a painful sickness endured with remembrance of God, only results with each ounce of pain forgiving a sin clean.

The test is not simply to remember these things either, though they are the key to being patient. The ultimate test is whether the calamity pushes us towards Allah (swt). Whether we are able to take our difficult situation, and rather than relying on ourselves alone, recognize our dependency on and rely on God. From this we can then pursue a stronger relationship with God Who can bring peace to our hearts, and we can seek knowledge of how the deen (way of life) He revealed can in fact ease our pain.

It may be easy to worship Allah and engage with His deen when our lives are perfect. But that is exactly the wrong point. Our lives are not perfect, and will never be. So will we worship Him by participating fully in His Religion, even when things fall apart around us? Will we accept that the Sovereign King has the power and the mercy to bring us what we so desperately need? We must begin turning back to Allah, today, because He loves us unconditionally every day. And how does Allah love His servants? This story from the Prophet (saws) should give us the answer:

“…Suddenly, a woman saw an infant in the midst of the captives. She took hold of it, brought it into her bosom, and started nursing it. The Prophet (saws) then told the Companions, “Do you think that this woman would throw her child in the fire?” We said, “No, By Allah she would not, if she is able not to.” He then said, “Allah the Exalted is more merciful with His slave than this woman with her child.” (Al-Bukhari)

source

----------------

Precious Star
05-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Flame,

I like what you have written.

It makes sense philosophically and metaphysically.

But the real task for you is to translate this into practical knowledge.

For example, we can acknowledge that we are being tested and thereby we are being brought closer to Allah, and that Insha'Allah this will motivate us to purify our hearts and minds.

But Allah SWT has not constructed the human being to be a martyer. Patience does not require us to be free of emotions. Sadness is a fact of our construction. We are not unfeeling creatures.

So lets say someone hurts us badly. Lets say we are alone and do not have a family and must tread through life without emotional support or love. We can accept this as a test from Allah. However, how do we get through it on a day by day basis?

If my car breaks down and there is a snowstorm outside and I have to find a way to get to work becuase if I don't work I don't get paid....and I do not have a husband or father or brother who will help me out....We can't sit inside the house and say "well, I should be so happy that Allah has put me in this test because now I know He is pleased with me!".

Islamic advice has to have a rationale and practical component to it. On a practical level, going through abandonment and extreme heartbreak is not a joyous occasion even though we are clearly being tested by God. I know a girl who had to have her leg amputated.....Should she be pleased? Of course not. She will never get married now. She will always be disabled. Sure, she will likely go to Paradise for her suffering, but at age 28 she is not sitting in the hospital thinking about her death and the hereafter; she is thinking, what could Allah SWT possibly bring me in this life that will make up for the loss of my leg and the loss of marriage and the loss of my ability to be a mother and the loss of my health and that I may not have money to take care of my health needs in the future?

I'm thinking practical advice, brother, not metaphysical. Sorry, I am assuming you are a brother. I am saying all this because I have gone through, and go thorugh, a dark chapter in my life, and I can read dua all day and all night and I can read Quran all day and all night, but still I do not see a light at the end of the tunnel, even though I believe 100% in Allah.

Good people have tests. Bad people have tests. Good people sometimes go through life with bliss and joy, having wonderful spouses, healthy babies, financial security, and esteem. In my opinion, these people are truly blessed by Allah SWT. Bad people may have the same blessings, believe it or not. Bad people also have really horrible things happen to them! Does that mean they are more beloved to Allah SWT?

AishaRayann
05-11-2011, 07:56 PM
I can speak for both examples.

Example: "Life of Despair"=me....I'm not going into all my lives details...but I'm "messed" up in the head partial because of life events..physical,mental,emotional,etc abuse went on in my home everyday as a child...when i was 10 or younger my mother left us neglected,filthy home roaches,trash..while having sex and addicted to drugs all day. ive a personality disorder and ptsd because of this...i use to do drugs at age 14-17 heavily..strong ones..bad ones...i never knew what i was doing half the time...i was unaware. i once was assalted at 18..not physically and the r word..then had a gun put to my head..that was when i was 18 and now 25.. and in march 2011 2 of them are in prision now for murdering two women.Praise Allah they will never hurt any woman again!!!! But then i think that could have been me. I've struggled with severe depression since age 12..it has progressively gotten worse over the years. I've tried to tale my life over 10 times. The first time I was very close to death..i was only 14. its not fun being hooked up with all kinds of machines and no idea how u got there.On 9/11/2001 a door opened for me. All on the news I hear bad..never other side...all blaming Islam..a religion..all on innocent religion...so I turn the tvs off..and stopped listening to people..So I went into a yahoo chatroom Islam 1...I talked to some Egyptians who messaged me. I told them I'm American citizen..i dont believe tv..i dont hate u..they were like "WOW"...so we became good friends they teach me some things about Islam..gave me link to online Quran..I read..and nothing made more sense than the Quran..I felt a peace about it...that was how my journey started off..I came to religion class at school in college one day..we were talking about islam..they play MOST BEAUTIFUL video I EVER seen!!!!!! It was video of Hajj at Mekkah. To see so many pray all at once in the name of Allah...brought joy and tears to my eyes...not long after I took my shadaha..7th day of Ramadan 2010. Since being a Muslim I have had sooo many trials...In January 2011 I couldnt take the pain of living anymore for the first time in my life of all the times trying to kill myself...i really wanted to die that time..so I put a big very sharp knife to my neck where the artery was..last thing i remember was the knife touching my neck...me sliding across it..but then before i could even scratch it...it slammed on my arm instead...Allah spared my life. The last month has been very rough...fri,sat,sun last week at its worst..i said enough...I made dua to Allah I said "Allah the Compassionate,the Merciful,The Protector, The All Forgiving please make shaitan and jinns leave me and my family and house alone." Everything is perfect now..Calm Peace next day.

Then, theres my grandmother (non-muslim example) who rich..win over $600,000usd in the stock markets...has a million dollars worth of property or more...still she not happy she take...she cheats people on their bill at her business...rips them off...to make more money as if it isnt enough..now she fixing to cheat my cousin out of her home and car...not that she doesnt deserve it after what she did...but thats beside the point..she go shop every weekend..its never enough...she could be in town..and never tell us...and never stop by to say hello...she treats my mother and us like trash..and my aunt and her family who never did anything but never work a day in her life at age 52..because of lazyness....we dont give a crap about the money..just the time..they want give it to us...look and see who the losers are. Weath...can ruin everything!!!!!

Flame of Hope
05-11-2011, 10:53 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Precious Star
But the real task for you is to translate this into practical knowledge.

For example, we can acknowledge that we are being tested and thereby we are being brought closer to Allah, and that Insha'Allah this will motivate us to purify our hearts and minds.

But Allah SWT has not constructed the human being to be a martyer. Patience does not require us to be free of emotions. Sadness is a fact of our construction. We are not unfeeling creatures.
You're right. We need something that's practical to do. But the practical part won't come until and unless we possess understanding and knowledge. Knowledge precedes action.

The best remedy for dealing with hardships is to know the greatness of Allah. If you knew about His greatness, power, might and magnitude of mercy you would realize that hardships are nothing but Jannah given to you on a silver platter. The catch is, you have to bear the hardship/difficulty/calamity with patience.

If in exchange for your hardship you have acquired patience, then most certainly you have been given a greater, if not the best blessing. And how can you learn patience if you never faced any hardship? People who have never faced hardships wouldn't know the true meaning of patience, would they? They wouldn't know how hard it is and neither would they taste its sweetness. And neither would they occupy the lofty levels of Paradise reserved especially for the saabiroon.

On a personal note, I'd like to share with you the practical method that I use to deal with my hardships: It's just one word. HOPE. I know that all things are temporary in this world, whether it is happiness or sadness. So I also know that the period of hardship will not last forever. And the Qur'an informs us that after every difficulty there is relief. This give me hope and so I wait patiently until Allah rescues me from my distress.

There are many hadiths and verses from the Qur'an that you can turn to for comfort and solace. But I've picked three, just to keep this short and sweet:

Story of a woman suffering from fits..

‘Ata ibn Rabah related that he heard Ibn ‘Abbas say: “Shall I show you a woman of Paradise?”I said: “Yes, indeed.” He said: “A black woman came to the Prophet, peace be upon him, and said: ‘I suffer from epileptic fits, and because of these, (at times) my body becomes uncovered. Would you invoke Allah, the Exalted One, to cure me of this disease? ‘ The Prophet, peace be upon him, said: ‘If you wish, you can be patient and you will attain Paradise (for this suffering). But if you prefer, I will pray to Allah, the Exalted, to cure you of it?’ The woman said: ‘I will be patient,’ then added: ‘I become uncovered (when I have fits), so invoke Allah for me that I do not become uncovered. ‘ So the Prophet, peace be upon him, prayed for her.” [Source: Fiqh-us-Sunnah, volume 4, #1a]

Story of ‘Urwah Ibn Al Zubair

‘Urwah Ibn Al Zubair had an operation, and the doctor amputated his leg. One friend came to visit him. ‘Urwah thought that the fried came to pacify him for the loss of his leg. So ‘Urwah told the visitor: If you came to give me condolence for the loss of my leg, I already submitted to Allah with patience to reward me for its loss. The guest told him, I came to inform you that your son fell down in a stable, and the animals stepped over him, and he died one hour ago. ‘Urwah said: O Allah! You took one child, and left me many…You took one organ from my body, and left me many organs…O Allah! You tested me with my body, and you were kind to leave me with good health. You tested me with the loss of my son, but you were kind in leaving me the rest of my children.

Thanking Allah when calamity strikes..

Umer radhiAllah anhu used to say:

“If Allah strikes me with calamity I will thank Allah for four things:
1) that the test was not in my deen,
2) the calamity could have been worse,
3) it is an expiation for my sins,
4) any loss after losing the Prophet sallalahu alayhi wasalam is nothing”

There is more info here if you are really seeking guidance during your difficult time.

I hope this helps. And Allah is the best to guide.

Flame of Hope
05-12-2011, 08:30 PM

I always find the story of Job (as) very inspiring....whenever I face any tribulation....

------------------

Job's (pbuh) body was filled with disease until it was reduced to mere skin and bone and he suffered severe pain. But through all the sufferings, Job remained strong in his faith, patiently bearing all the hardships without complaining. Even close relatives and friends deserted him. Only his kind, loving wife stayed with him. In his hour of need, she showered her kindness on him and cared for him. She remained his sole companion and comforter through the many years of suffering.

Iblis went to Job's wife in the form of a man. "Where is your husband?" he asked her.

She pointed to an almost lifeless form crumbled on the bed and said: "There he is, suspended between life and death."

Iblis reminded her of the days, when Job had good health, wealth and children. Suddenly, the painful memory of years of hardship overcame her, and she burst into tears. She said to Job: "How long are you going to bear this torture from our Lord? Are we to remain without wealth, children or friends forever? Why don't you call upon Allah to remove this suffering?"

Job sighed, and in a soft voice replied: "Iblis must have whispered to you and made you dissatisfied. Tell me how long did I enjoy good health and riches?"

She replied: "80 years."

Then Job replied: "How long am I suffering like this?"

She said: "7 years."

Job then told her: "In that case I am ashamed to call on my Lord to remove the hardship, for I have not suffered longer than the years of good health and plenty..."

source

tigerkhan
05-13-2011, 05:58 AM
@ sister flame... very good post sister. i like them...
@ aishariyaan..sister do u think, if the problem u had faced in ur life had not happened, maybe u have not that much thrist for truth and u cannot find islam. bcz mostly in luxury and happiness we are satisfied that all is ok even we are on wrong blieves and religion.
Allah SWT is Hakeem and he is one with wisdom, although we feel bit uncomfortable with difficulties but maybe they are better for us, ALLAH SWT has knowledge and he knows the best. so i think sister falme is saying rite, we should be thankful to HIM in every condition and seek his mercy and happiness.

Innocent Soul
05-13-2011, 06:28 AM
^ I agree with you. Hardships are really painful but when we get relieved or our hardships go away we realize that they were really helpful for us because we got really close to Allah. At the time of hardships we may think that Allah is angry with us but hardships are for is for our good. Just remember all your hardships in your life, don't you remember that whenever you was in pain you remembered Allah and trusted him that.

Flame of Hope
05-14-2011, 08:48 PM

A very educational video lesson regarding faith and how faith helps us in times of difficulty.....

Flame of Hope
05-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Our living in this world will inevitably bring us tests. Those tests are subtle and open, they occur in great and small things. Through these tests, God shows which of us truly believe, and which of us are empty claimants. - [Imam Zaid Shakir]

Flame of Hope
05-14-2011, 09:02 PM

A very inspiring and encouraging video for those who are facing hardships/calamities and are in distress:

Flame of Hope
05-19-2011, 01:45 AM
“A calamity that makes you turn to Allah, is better than a blessing which makes you forget the remembrance of Allah.”

Ibn Taymiyyah (ra)

Flame of Hope
05-21-2011, 12:40 AM
Why Aren’t My Prayers Being Answered?

I think what happens in this type of situation is that we mix up our means and our ends.

Instead of seeing it like this, however, I think the problem is we are seeing things as just the opposite. The dunya (that great job, certain type of spouse, having a child, school, career, etc) is our end and *Allah* is the means that we use to get there. We use that means, through making du`a’, to achieve our end (whatever it is that we’re making du`a’ for), and then get disappointed when our means (Allah) didn’t come through for us. We throw our hands up in the air and say our du`a’ are not being answered. Our means just isn’t coming through for us!

But, Allah isn’t a means. He is the end. The ultimate objective of even du`a’ itself is to build our connection to Allah. Through du`a’ we become closer to Him. So, I think the problem is that our focus is wrong. That’s why I love the du`a’ of istikhara so much. It’s just perfect because it acknowledges that Allah only knows best, and then asks for Him to bring what is best and take away what is not best. The focus of that du`a’ is not that which you are asking for. The focus is what is best in this life and next. This is not to say that we cannot make du`a’ for things specifically that we want. On the contrary. Allah loves for us to ask of Him. But it means that once we ask, do our part to the utmost, and put our trust in Allah, we are pleased with what Allah chooses for us. And we realize that Allah answers all du`a’ - but not always in the form we expect. And that is simply because our knowledge is limited, and His is unlimited. In His infinite knowledge He may send us what He knows to be better for us in achieving the ultimate end: the pleasure of Allah (swt).

Wa Allahu `alam (and Allah knows best).

source

Flame of Hope
05-22-2011, 06:59 AM
God, in virtue of His name Qabdh, grips man's heart and puts him into a state of qabdh (literally, "contraction," "gripping"); a state of spiritual desolation, which is a test for man to see his level of determination and loyalty. That is, the man is tested to see whether he will turn to God and do prayers and supplications—or turn away. Let me point out here that prayers, supplications, duties and services done in such a state are far more rewarding than those done at bast (literally, "expansion," "extension"), in a joyful and happy state, or than those done with ease, amid other Muslims at normal times of congregation. And later on, as the sun shines after a short burst of cloudy weather, God, in virtue of His name Basit, expands the man's heart and returns him to comfort and eagerness. Thus, God gives man the reward proportionately to the hardship he endures.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!