/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Theories Regarding Relations Between Islam and The West

Sethi
04-20-2011, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm AbdurRahman
But ya, we know that there is a LOT OF anti Islamic sentiments in the Western world!! Why?
I thought this question was complex enough to warrent its own thread. This is from the perspective of a concerned Westerner. These are just my opinions, so no real source material to support this.

I think that there is probably different reasons for Americans then for Europeans.

In the US, ever since the post World War two era, we have been fixated on an "enemy". For some time, that enemy was Communism and the Soviet Union. I think that our politicians, and consequently the media, has followed the theory of building up fear of an enemy as a justification for leaving the country on a war time economy. Many politicians have economic interests in the "military industrial complex", so have made good money from the country buying so many weapons. Fear is also a tool to help control the population, as people are more willing to accept the loss of freedoms in the name of security.

After the fall of the Soviet Union, it was only a few years later that the US attacked Iraq. In '90 and '91, I was involved in the anti-war movement in the US, and even that far back, I was shocked at the level of casual racism and hate that came about surrounding the war. It is easier to sleep at night if you think your country is fighting a "just" cause against an "evil enemy", then it is to think that you are supporting imperialism and killing without cause. If you demonize your opponent, then the public will more readily accept your justifications for war.

Then of course the attacks on September 11th 2001 provided a ready justification for President Bush to again renew a policy of aggression against the region. Unfortunately many Americans are ignorant enough that they still think the 2003 invasion of Iraq was in response to the 9/11 attacks, although there was no connection between Sadaam Hussain and Islamic extremists (of course, Hussain, as a secular leader, was an enemy of Islamic extremists).

We have some politicized news agencies which will go to any length to "sell" a war to the public, ignoring the truth. In the build up to the 2003 invasion of Iraq, people who spoke out against the war were often labeled as traitors.

For Europe, although I don't know quite as much, I think it is a combination of a long history of uneasy relations (the religious wars of the Crusades), the influence of American media and culture, and fear that muslim immigration threatens to change the fabric of their society. Many are worried that the increasing population of European muslims will eventually mean that their long held traditions will be abandoned, sharia law will be imposed, and they will lose their culture.

Directions foreward

I think that cultures and the make up of populations inevitably shift over time, and that this is not really a bad thing. Hopefully the more people get to know each other, the less they will fear each other. I hope that muslims living in the west will continue to try to integrate with the local westerners (not abandoning their culture, but not hiding it), so that both people will grow to understand each other better. Westerners need to make sure to speak out to their politicians regarding opposition to war, and opposition to anti-islamic policies.

Violence from either side just perpetuates more violence. (Terrorism is a poor mans war, war is a rich mans terrorism)

Sorry this was so long, but I didn't think there was an easy quick answer to Umm AbdurRahman's question. This may not be the complete answer, but it is the perception I have. Other input is welcome, both on how we got to where we are, and how we can move foreward together in a more positive direction.

Peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
LavaDog
04-21-2011, 06:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sethi
For Europe, although I don't know quite as much, I think it is a combination of a long history of uneasy relations (the religious wars of the Crusades), the influence of American media and culture, and fear that muslim immigration threatens to change the fabric of their society

format_quote Originally Posted by Sethi
think that cultures and the make up of populations inevitably shift over time, and that this is not really a bad thing. Hopefully the more people get to know each other, the less they will fear each other. I hope that muslims living in the west will continue to try to integrate with the local westerners
Before I begin my rant I would like to say I am a native american so by todays standards nothing I say can be called racist but I feel this is a source of a lot of tension.
Anyway, unless you go back to say the age of sail or count things like the american expansion into the west which was actual conquest, huge shifts in culture and populations only happen in western countries that use the multiculturalism model.It basically says that all cultures are equally important except white culture which is hateful and evil. Soon the whites understandably resent it. Most of the activities the BNP does is just saying they are not racist.
Most of the immigrants to the Uk are from Pakistan and African countries both of which are Islamic majority. If you are a white briton you see muslims yelling death to democracy and protesting your military coming home from the war and burning your flag. Then you see that after this and with the state of the economy they are trying to get 100,000 aftican migrants to work in Uk factories. All the while you are told that this is good and you must learn to respect them and be more diverse. Meanwhile they had riots in Pakistan over the idea of changing the law that would let other religions have the freedom to critique Islam and they burn down churches and displace chritians in Africa. Its completly one sided and its really cultural suicide of Europe.
Immigrants feel they do not need to assimilate. When the only group of peope willing to speak out against this are actually racists then they gain support. However, moving forward it may already be too late. Both the UK and German governments have said multiculturalism has failed, France banned face veils and it angered a lot of peole on this site, and switzerland banned minarets. This raised anger in minority communities. And on top of that recently both greece and Bonsia had neo nazi rallies of about ten thousand each. Unless whites are given more say in their countries it is going to get worse. Both sides have to try, it can't be a one way street.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!