/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing for Easter?

JPR
04-22-2011, 11:51 AM
So today, according to christians, Jesus was crucified. According to muslims, he was brought to Allah.

Anything in particular happening around you, wherever you are in the world? Any muslims celebrate the day? Anything special happening around you, like processions in the streets, or more activity?

I wish you all a great day and an awesome week-end!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
04-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Although Indonesia is the largest muslim country, the government give good friday as a national holiday (other religions are also given their holidays as national holidays).

As you know, muslims do not believe in Jesus (pbuh) being dragged on the cross and crucified and died. As narrated in the Qur'an, Allah SWT saved and protected Jesus (pbuh) from such humiliation.
Muslims do not celebrate the day, because:
1. The only holidays we "celebrate" is the end of ramadan (1 syawal - eid ul fitri) and eid ul adha. We are not even supposed to celebrate the birthday of prophet Muhammad SAW.
2. Today is not the actual "good friday" anyway. I'm sure no christian also believe that today is the actual date? Unless I'm wrong? seeing so many christians believe that 25 december is the actual birthdate of prophet Jesus (pbuh)?

Woodrow
04-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Sunday is another day no less Holy than any other day. all Days are Holy in that we accept them as a gift from Allaah(swt) and use them to Praise and serve Allaah(swt)

As mentioned above we only celebrate 2 days. More correctly we celebrate every day but only on 2 days do we celebrate with a formal celebration.

Verdetequiero
04-24-2011, 06:20 AM
I worked half a day on Friday and Sunday I will celebrate Easter with a nice long run and writing a paper.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
YieldedOne
04-24-2011, 03:21 PM
I will celebrate Resurrection Day by re-reading a Greek Orthodox Message called "Do not Resent". I re-read it a lot. I think living it out is the best way I can bring honor to the spirit of Resurrection Day.

Excellent reading for Christians. Good reading for those who want more understanding about LIVED Christianity.

I especially like the "examination of conscience" on the last 2 pages! :D

Abdul-Raouf
04-24-2011, 04:40 PM
About the Good Friday part:

For Muslims..All the fridays are very good, pleasing and special as we get a chance to see many muslims part of the Jumma Prayer... :-)

GuestFellow
04-24-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm going to study. Yay for me. :/

Ghazalah
04-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Went to the beach, half of my family got lost along the way and went to a different beach lol. Wales is an absolutely beautiful place, subhanAllah.

Hamza Asadullah
04-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Easter is yet another pagan originated Christian festival like Christimas:

Origins of the name "Easter":

The name "Easter" originated with the names of an ancient Goddess and God. The Venerable Bede, (672-735 CE.) a Christian scholar, first asserted in his book De Ratione Temporum that Easter was named after Eostre (a.k.a. Eastre). She was the Great Mother Goddess of the Saxon people in Northern Europe. Similarly, the "Teutonic dawn goddess of fertility [was] known variously as Ostare, Ostara, Ostern, Eostra, Eostre, Eostur, Eastra, Eastur, Austron and Ausos." 1 Her name was derived from the ancient word for spring: "eastre." Similar Goddesses were known by other names in ancient cultures around the Mediterranean, and were celebrated in the springtime. Some were:

Aphrodite from ancient Cyprus

Ashtoreth from ancient Israel

Astarte from ancient Greece

Demeter from Mycenae

Hathor from ancient Egypt

Ishtar from Assyria

Kali, from India

Ostara a Norse Goddess of fertility.

An alternative explanation has been suggested. The name given by the Frankish church to Jesus' resurrection festival included the Latin word "alba" which means "white." (This was a reference to the white robes that were worn during the festival.) "Alba" also has a second meaning: "sunrise." When the name of the festival was translated into German, the "sunrise" meaning was selected in error. This became "ostern" in German. Ostern has been proposed as the origin of the word "Easter". 2
There are two popular beliefs about the origin of the English word "Sunday."

It is derived from the name of the Scandinavian sun Goddess Sunna (a.k.a. Sunne, Frau Sonne). 5,6

It is derived from "Sol," the Roman God of the Sun." Their phrase "Dies Solis" means "day of the Sun." The Christian saint Jerome (d. 420) commented "If it is called the day of the sun by the pagans, we willingly accept this name, for on this day the Light of the world arose, on this day the Sun of Justice shone forth." 7

Pagan origins of Easter:

Many, perhaps most, Pagan religions in the Mediterranean area had a major seasonal day of religious celebration at or following the Spring Equinox. Cybele, the Phrygian fertility goddess, had a consort, Attis, who was believed to have been born via a virgin birth. Attis was believed to have died and been resurrected each year during the period MAR-22 to MAR-25.

Gerald L. Berry, author of "Religions of the World," wrote:

"About 200 B.C. mystery cults began to appear in Rome just as they had earlier in Greece. Most notable was the Cybele cult centered on Vatican hill ...Associated with the Cybele cult was that of her lover, Attis (the older Tammuz, Osiris, Dionysus, or Orpheus under a new name). He was a god of ever-reviving vegetation. Born of a virgin, he died and was reborn annually. The festival began as a day of blood on Black Friday and culminated after three days in a day of rejoicing over the resurrection." 3

Wherever Christian worship of Jesus and Pagan worship of Attis were active in the same geographical area in ancient times, Christians:

"... used to celebrate the death and resurrection of Jesus on the same date; and pagans and Christians used to quarrel bitterly about which of their gods was the true prototype and which the imitation."

Many religious historians and liberal theologians believe that the death and resurrection legends were first associated with Attis, many centuries before the birth of Jesus. They were simply grafted onto stories of Jesus' life in order to make Christian theology more acceptable to Pagans. Others suggest that many of the events in Jesus' life that were recorded in the gospels were lifted from the life of Krishna, the second person of the Hindu Trinity. Ancient Christians had an alternative explanation; they claimed that Satan had created counterfeit deities in advance of the coming of Christ in order to confuse humanity. 4 Modern-day Christians generally regard the Attis legend as being a Pagan myth of little value with no connection to Jesus. They regard Jesus' death and resurrection account as being true, and unrelated to the earlier tradition.

Wiccans and other modern-day Neopagans continue to celebrate the Spring Equinox as one of their 8 yearly Sabbats (holy days of celebration). Near the Mediterranean, this is a time of sprouting of the summer's crop; farther north, it is the time for seeding. Their rituals at the Spring Equinox are related primarily to the fertility of the crops and to the balance of the day and night times. In those places where Wiccans can safely celebrate the Sabbat out of doors without threat of religious persecution, they often incorporate a bonfire into their rituals, jumping over the dying embers is believed to assure fertility of people and crops.

References used in the above essay:
  1. Larry Boemler "Asherah and Easter," Biblical Archaeology Review, Vol. 18, Number 3, 1992-May/June reprinted at: http://www.worldmissions.org/Clipper...AndAsherah.htm
  2. Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod Q & A Set 15, "Why do we celebrate a festival called Easter?" at: http://www.wels.net/sab/text/qa/qa15.html
  3. Gerald L. Berry, "Religions of the World," Barns & Noble, (1956).
  4. J Farrar & S. Farrar, "Eight Sabbats for Witches," Phoenix, Custer, WA, (1988).
  5. "Sunna," TeenWitch at: http://www.teenwitch.com
  6. "Dies Solis and other Latin Names for the Days of the Week," Logo Files, at:
    http://www.logofiles.com/
  7. "Sunday Observance," Latin Mass News, at: http://www.unavoceca.org/
Source: http://www.religioustolerance.org/easter1.htm

JPR
04-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks all, I did not want a debate about what date it actually is, if Jesus' birthday is on the 25th of December or what not, especially not where the name "Easter" came from. Just wanted to know if maybe during Friday prayer maybe some imams said a word about Jesus, or if you took the day to do something with your family as I see some people did. A lot of people on this forum are from so many different countries I think it's interesting to see what's happening a bit everywhere around the world.

Cheers all!

gmcbroom
04-25-2011, 08:38 PM
I went to my local Maronite Catholic Church and celebrated Good Friday there. It's not a day of Obligation that says I have to go to it, I did have to fast through that day though; but to help truly understand Jesus's sacrifice and growing stronger in the Faith I do. It was a wonderful Divine Liturgy and experience, very moving.

Peace be with you

Cabdullahi
04-25-2011, 08:46 PM
i was chilling....i was waiting to hear on the news about an easter egg bomber...just like last year when we had the horrendous Christmas tree bomber.

gmcbroom
04-26-2011, 01:50 AM
That isn't funny.

abdussattar
04-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Hmm I didnt know that Jesus was crucified on Good Friday.. (according to christians)

But anyway, whats good in the dying of a prophet?

Ramadhan
04-26-2011, 11:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
But anyway, whats good in the dying of a prophet?

According to majority christians, jesus is God, not prophet.
and if im not mistaken, it is good for christians because their sins have been paid in full (or exchanged) by the death of God.

oh, dont ask me any further question about this. Im as confused as you are.

abdussattar
04-26-2011, 11:19 AM
You mean we get salvation by Killing a god?

(sorry if I got it wrong but thats what I can make out of the above post)

Ramadhan
04-26-2011, 11:35 AM
no no, christians believe humans dont kill god, but god decided himself to get killed.
But yes, the only way human sins can be paid is by the death of god.

I told you not to ask more question.

Perseveranze
04-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Don't even know when Easter is, nor do I really care.

Ansariyah
04-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Its all about Chocolate!

Ramadhan
04-26-2011, 12:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
Its all about Chocolate!
and bunnies and eggs hunting!

elina
04-26-2011, 01:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by
2. Today is not the actual "good friday" anyway. I'm sure no christian also believe that today is the actual date? Unless I'm wrong? seeing so many christians believe that 25 december is the actual birthdate of prophet Jesus (pbuh)?
i would have said that too.... im sure the date of easter changes every year which means good friday would be different every year too.....something ive never understood

JPR
04-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Wow, that's how much misinformation that has been going out...

If you have a question about christianity, you should seek a christian point of view, not a muslim. Just as when I have a question about Islam or muslims, I don't go to a christian website to get all my answers.

A little bit of intellectual integrity and honesty!

JPR
04-26-2011, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by elina
i would have said that too.... im sure the date of easter changes every year which means good friday would be different every year too.....something ive never understood

It's based on the lunar calendar, that's why. A bit like Ramadan if I'm not mistaken, which changes every year as well.

Woodrow
04-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Easter has come and gone. There are already more than enough threads debating beliefs. time for this one to end.

:threadclo:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!