/* */

PDA

View Full Version : If it was possible for you to know the precise time of your death........

Flame of Hope
04-27-2011, 07:13 AM
If it was possible for you to know the precise time of your death........would you want to know it?

Why? Why not?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
LavaDog
04-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Yes. I remember in the bible it says death is like a thief in the night. You never expect the thief and they catch you offguard. Would it not be great to know when to catch the thief and beat their a$$. Thats how I view death.

elina
04-27-2011, 08:39 AM
I wouldnt want to know...... ignorance is bliss on that one :)

Woodrow
04-27-2011, 09:30 AM
What difference would it make?

We all should know that death is always imminent and if we assume death can always come before our next breath we really have no reason or need to know the precise moment. Our life is but a fast burning spark that will end in the blink of an eye. We need not know more then to know we will die and it does not matter if that is in one second, one day, one year or even 1000 years, in the scheme of eternity is is only one short moment from now.

If we do not live a life of being prepared from knowing death is fast approaching, we will not change one bit if we knew the exact time and day.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Flame of Hope
04-27-2011, 03:47 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
If we do not live a life of being prepared from knowing death is fast approaching, we will not change one bit if we knew the exact time and day.
So if we knew the exact time and day, we would change? Otherwise not?

S.Belle
04-27-2011, 04:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LavaDog
Yes. I remember in the bible it says death is like a thief in the night. You never expect the thief and they catch you offguard. Would it not be great to know when to catch the thief and beat their a$$. Thats how I view death.
What you said reminded me of Prophet Musa (PBUH)

Abu Hurairah narrated: "The Angel of Death was sent to Musa (PBUH). When he came to Musa, Musa slapped him on the eye. The Angel returned to his Lord and said: 'You have sent me to a slave who does not want to die.' Allah said: 'Return to him and tell him to put his hand on the back of an ox and for every hair that will come under it, he will be granted one year of life.' Musa said: 'O Lord! What will happen after that?' Allah replied: 'Then death.' Musa said: 'Let it come now!' Musa then requested Allah to let him die close to the Holy Land so that he would be at a distance of a stone's throw from it." Abu Hurairah added: "Allah's Messenger (PBUH) said: 'If I were there, I would show you his grave below the red sandhill on the side of the road." Sahih Al-Bukhari
http://islam.worldofislam.info/index...usa-moses-pbuh

I dont want to know simply bc I dont really care to know.... what difference would it make when the outcome would be the same.
We are all going to die and thats all I need and want to know.

Ansariyah
04-27-2011, 04:04 PM
TBH I dont see the point to the Question, Its not like that choice is upto us. We already know we are not going to know, so wat point is there to *if* about it. Allah has kept that knowledge hidden from us for many obvious reasons. Allah knows best.

Flame of Hope
04-27-2011, 04:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
TBH I dont see the point to the Question, Its not like that choice is upto us. We already know we are not going to know, so wat point is there to *if* about it. Allah has kept that knowledge hidden from us for many obvious reasons. Allah knows best.
Yes, but there's no denying the fact that there are people who are keen to know about that information. My question is how would it make a difference if one knew?

Ansariyah
04-27-2011, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Flame

Yes, but there's no denying the fact that there are people who are keen to know about that information.
Just because they're keen to know doesnt mean its right, does it?

My question is how would it make a difference if one knew?
But we're not gonna know are we?:p

Woodrow
04-27-2011, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Flame

Yes, but there's no denying the fact that there are people who are keen to know about that information. My question is how would it make a difference if one knew?
I really doubt it would make any difference. Those who are already prepared would continue their life as it now is because they already expect death to be upon them. Those who are not prepared would be initially shocked, make plans to repent in the time left and give up feeling it is useless as they do not have enough time to truly repent.

It is also possible a few who are weak in eeman, would suddenly see it as a chance to enjoy the forbidden and feel they could repent in the last hour. Those may be the only ones changed and they would loose their chance for Jannah.

Flame of Hope
04-27-2011, 04:30 PM
What difference would it make?
It doesn't? I think it would. It depends on the individual. It also depends on whether you are a believer or not. It also depends on whether your faith is weak or strong.

If a person knew that he had 80 more years to live, he would take it easy and engage in all sorts of sins and evil doing until just before his time of death. Since it is your last deeds that matter the most, he would become exceedingly religious as he nears his death.

Unfortunately, this is how people would react if they were given knowledge of their time of death. It would defeat the purpose of testing man, especially his sincerity. Let's not forget that it's the sincere ones among us who will succeed in the Hereafter.

Allah in His wisdom has concealed the time of death for everyone for a good reason. Alhamdulillah!

So my answer to this question:

if it was possible for you to know the precise time of your death........would you want to know it?
would be............no, I definitely would NOT want to know it. Even if it was possible for me to find out, I wouldn't want to know it. It would affect the quality of my worship to Allah.

Flame of Hope
04-27-2011, 04:43 PM

Those who are already prepared would continue their life as it now is because they already expect death to be upon them. Those who are not prepared would be initially shocked, make plans to repent in the time left and give up feeling it is useless as they do not have enough time to truly repent.

It is also possible a few who are weak in eeman, would suddenly see it as a chance to enjoy the forbidden and feel they could repent in the last hour. Those may be the only ones changed and they would loose their chance for Jannah.
I agree.

Muezzin
04-27-2011, 04:48 PM
The precise time of death is meaningless without the precise cause of death.

Otherwise you'd end up killing yourself while trying to save your own life in a paradox worthy of Revenge of the Sith.

sabr*
04-27-2011, 05:49 PM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

What practicing Muslims should concentrate and make their endeavor:

No need for hypothetical situations. Read the Quran.

Tawheed al-Rububiyah– Unity of Lordship
Tawheed al- Uluhiyah– Unity of Worship
Tawheed al- Asma wa Sifaat– Unity of His Names and His Attributes
Tawheed al Itabaa– Unity in the following the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him

What practicing Muslims should stay away from:

Shirk ad Du’a – invoking or supplicating to a false deity besides Allah
Shirk al-Niyah wa Iraada wal Qasd– having the intention and determination to deliberately
worship a deity other then Allah.
Shirk at- Ta’a – obeying any created being against the command of Allah.
Shirk al-Muhabbah – loving a created being or an object more than Allah

Hidden Shirk as:Shirk al- khafimeans the hidden, or covert, association of partners with Allah,
the One and Only God. This is an insidious form of Shirk.

Shirk at- Tasmee (Minor Shirk)-swearing by other then Allah. Allah says in the Noble Qur`an that
Shirk is the greatest sin.

This post was submitted with the best intentions and the best construction should be used when reading it.

Human_Being
04-27-2011, 08:11 PM
No way man if i knew it was soon like howd i know i was bein sinsere in worship i mite worship better but only out of fear of death and not for Allah's sake alone

if i knew it was far away i mite become complacent even if i dont mean 2 like ud like 2 think u would keep stayin on the straight path even if u knew ud live for a long time but really a lot can happen in a long time id be scared of becomin lazy thinkin iv got plenty of time 2 prepare and do things and then all that time passes and ive done nothin

Flame of Hope
04-27-2011, 08:57 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by sabr*
This post was submitted with the best intentions and the best construction should be used when reading it.
Hypothetical questions have a purpose. My intentions have been to bring out the magnitude of Allah's wisdom in keeping our hour of death concealed from us. If we were to discuss what would happen if the precise time of our death was made known to us, it would have become clear why Allah has made this thing hidden.

The same thing can be said about The Hour. Or the Day when the trumpet would be blown....the Day of Resurrection...or the day when the world would come to an end. In Sura Mulk, they ask the Prophet (saws) "When is the Hour?" Allah then informs us that the knowledge of the Hour is only with Him and the Prophet (saws) was sent as only a warner.

People have been known to get into futile discussions and arguments talking about the Hour....(which is the same as the day of death for each one of us). They want to know when it is and they spend precious time in studying the signs, trying to figure out when the Hour will be.

Such activities and inquiry into the unknown have been looked upon with scorn by the Prophet (saws). When a man asked him once about the Hour, he showed his displeasure and said, "The Hour is certainly coming. But what have you done to prepare yourself for it?"

If the discussion in this thread has not made us realize or appreciate Allah's wisdom in keeping these things hidden, then it has been a vain exercise. And a vain question to ask.

If so, I apologize.

Flame of Hope
04-27-2011, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S.Belle
What you said reminded me of Prophet Musa (PBUH)

Abu Hurairah narrated: "The Angel of Death was sent to Musa (PBUH). When he came to Musa, Musa slapped him on the eye. The Angel returned to his Lord and said: 'You have sent me to a slave who does not want to die.' Allah said: 'Return to him and tell him to put his hand on the back of an ox and for every hair that will come under it, he will be granted one year of life.' Musa said: 'O Lord! What will happen after that?' Allah replied: 'Then death.' Musa said: 'Let it come now!' Musa then requested Allah to let him die close to the Holy Land so that he would be at a distance of a stone's throw from it." Abu Hurairah added: "Allah's Messenger (PBUH) said: 'If I were there, I would show you his grave below the red sandhill on the side of the road." Sahih Al-Bukhari
http://islam.worldofislam.info/index...usa-moses-pbuh
Jazakallah khair sis for your contribution. A choice was also given to the Prophet (saws). Subhanallah!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!