/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Women's Rights In Islam

AishaRayann
04-29-2011, 12:04 AM
As salam alaikum.

I'm trying to get more information on women's rights in Islam. I was wondering if anyone could give me some trusted links to any information in regard to this subject.

Also, a friend of mine who is considering to revert to Islam is wondering if when you are married to a muslim man and you are a muslim woman do you always have to obey your husbands wants and needs even if its something you don't want to do without question?

From what I know..You do have to that for your parents..cause you are suppose to obey your parents muslim or not as long as it isnt against Islam.

But. I don't know about husband. I kind of assume its the same.

Maybe someone can clarify.

As salam alaikum, Aisha

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
PiousGirl_86
05-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah Sister,

Although i don't have any Hadith to back up what i say i will give you my thought on this. You are right that as a wife you have to obey your husband, but only if it is within Islam and it is halal. Of course if it is haram you know to stand up and say it is wrong. I think some of these times it is extinct, of course if you feel something is wrong and unconformable, do not do it. From my readings, a man has to also obey his wife, it goes hand in hand. Both sexes have rights over each other.

"...And they (women) have rights (over their husbands as regards living expenses, etc.) similar (to those of their husbands) over them (as regards obedience and respect, etc.) to what is reasonable, but men have a degree (of responsibility) over them. And Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise." (Al-Baqarah 2:228)

Of course she must request what is halal and within the religion. He does not have a greater authority over her, but he is head of the household, if that makes sense. they each have individual rights and privileges.

But i am wondering if you are thinking of culture, too often culture does come in the way and cause problems. I am speaking from experience. For example, some cultures, such as Pakistani and Indian, insist and even force a son's wife to move in with the in-laws. This is highly wrong as Sunnah states a wife has the choice to live where she wants when a marriage proposal is given. Too often i have seen some use Islam to get their way and when a female is not educated on her rights in Islam she will fall into a trap and often an unhappy marriage, sadly one of the many reasons why divorce is on the rise amongst our Ummah.

Now for your friend, alhumdulilah i am pleased Allah (swt) is guiding her onto the right path. I suggest she read books on her rights as a woman in Islam. There are some good websites i have come across over the last year, she could start off with those. I would have posted them for suggested reading. However, since i am new, i cannot post links, so i will direct you to see themuslimwoman.com. That is very good site. There are some others but like i said i cannot post direct links.

Assalaam

nature
05-04-2011, 01:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AishaRayann
As salam alaikum.

I'm trying to get more information on women's rights in Islam. I was wondering if anyone could give me some trusted links to any information in regard to this subject.

Also, a friend of mine who is considering to revert to Islam is wondering if when you are married to a muslim man and you are a muslim woman do you always have to obey your husbands wants and needs even if its something you don't want to do without question?

From what I know..You do have to that for your parents..cause you are suppose to obey your parents muslim or not as long as it isnt against Islam.

But. I don't know about husband. I kind of assume its the same.

Maybe someone can clarify.

As salam alaikum, Aisha
Obey is a word that often gets abused. you have to respect your parents not obey their every command, theres a difference. a lot of cultural muslims use "OBEY" when they try and guilt trip their kids in2 forced marriages. as for the husband bit i'll let 1 of the married people answer.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!