/* */

PDA

View Full Version : please read

anonymous
04-29-2011, 01:12 AM
As salam

Is it haram for me to have surgery.

Ever since I was young, my dentist told me that having braces won’t fix my problem. The problem I have is that I cannot close my mouth unless I force myself. My whole gum shows and stick out. He also told me that my teeth will continue to grow to adjust to my gummy smile. Me and my parents then went to other dentist to see what they have to say. They all said the same thing. I don’t know how to describe my problem, I think you may to have to see it to know what I am talking about. Most people teeth from the gum line can be seen when they smile. Mine can be seen without smiling. I cannot close my mouth naturally and this can be seen in all my passport photograph where you see me forcing my mouth to close.I understand it is haram to have surgery to beautify yourself. But I want to have this surgery to be able to close my mouth without effort. The teeth are not the problem it is my gum. It is a small surgery with low risk. The surgery is called Orthognathic Surgery. My problem is called Protruded Maxilla (upper jaw). Below is a description of my problem and yes my whole gum can been seen when I smile. It even sticks out from the side.

The upper jaw is protruded beyond the normal limits along with the teeth. The person cannot close his lips (lip incompetence) without effort. The teeth are always visible and in most cases the whole of the gums are visible on smiling (gummy smile). A gummy smile is mainly due to the vertical excess of the maxilla.

One thing that really hurt me was when I was laughing; a family member had the camera to my mouth. And he was laughing at me along with other members. I looked the video and I can say my gum is really adnormal. I cried. Like the monkey top jaw without the skin and it can be seen from the side. I just want to be able to close my mouth. Right now I cant even to that.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
04-29-2011, 01:40 AM
For any members reading this here is an image from a dental site to sort of explain what the poster is speaking of.

I personally see it as a health issue because if this is not corrected in later life their will be eating problems. since the teeth do not match some foods will not be able to be chewed properly ant that will lead to stomach and intestinal problems, some of them quite serious.

I personal see the surgery as being a necessity and not for vanity.

However, like with all things it is best for the poster to verify what I said with a scholar and an orthodontist. I am very far from being an scholar and I admit I am still learning about Islam.

Ummu Sufyaan
05-01-2011, 01:41 PM
:sl:
have you asked/consulted an imam in your locality concerning this? i think that would be the best option.

Salahudeen
05-01-2011, 04:25 PM
But brother if you got the surgery done it wouldn't be for beautification purposes, it would be to correct an abnormality so I think it would be allowed. But don't take my words as fatwa, ask an imam/scholar.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anonymous
05-02-2011, 02:16 PM
The picture posted does not really show my problem. My problem is the top Jaw. The dentist did say my teeth with be out again after my braces later on if I don’t have the surgery. Here is the link, scroll down, my is like the first picture you see of the black woman. im a sister.
http://www.aaoms.org/jaw_surgery.php

anonymous
05-02-2011, 02:28 PM
http://faciomaxillary.tripod.com/orthognathic.htm

anonymous
05-02-2011, 03:16 PM
My problem is also not the open bit. The picture of the lady is the same as mine from the front. You can see a lot of the my gum from the front and side. I want to have this surgery to be able to close my mouth esp lips without force. I spoke to my dentist and the man who will do the surgery. They said that I will still have some gummy smile but I will be able to close my lips together without strain. I dont know any local scholars. The description I posted in my first post describe exactly the problem I have.

Woodrow
05-03-2011, 03:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
My problem is also not the open bit. The picture of the lady is the same as mine from the front. You can see a lot of the my gum from the front and side. I want to have this surgery to be able to close my mouth esp lips without force. I spoke to my dentist and the man who will do the surgery. They said that I will still have some gummy smile but I will be able to close my lips together without strain. I dont know any local scholars. The description I posted in my first post describe exactly the problem I have.
It does sound like your problem is much more serious than the picture I posted. That further reaffirms my opinion that you have a genuine medical problem and this is not a question of vanity. If the surgery enhances your appearance that is nothing more than an after effect of the surgery and not the purpose of the surgery.

Your intention for having the surgery is the important factor. If it is you desire to have it simply to enhance your appearance, than I believe it is for the wrong reason. But, if your reason to have the surgery is to live a normal life and prevent health problems, that I believe is a valid reason.

Since there is no one of knowledge in your area. It looks like the choice is going to fall upon you alone. I suggest you make du'a for guidance and carefully examine your own heart and reasons for the surgery. Only you can know if you are having it done out of vanity or necessity.

Hamza Asadullah
05-03-2011, 03:25 AM
As salam

Is it haram for me to have surgery.

Ever since I was young, my dentist told me that having braces won’t fix my problem. The problem I have is that I cannot close my mouth unless I force myself. My whole gum shows and stick out. He also told me that my teeth will continue to grow to adjust to my gummy smile. Me and my parents then went to other dentist to see what they have to say. They all said the same thing. I don’t know how to describe my problem, I think you may to have to see it to know what I am talking about. Most people teeth from the gum line can be seen when they smile. Mine can be seen without smiling. I cannot close my mouth naturally and this can be seen in all my passport photograph where you see me forcing my mouth to close.I understand it is haram to have surgery to beautify yourself. But I want to have this surgery to be able to close my mouth without effort. The teeth are not the problem it is my gum. It is a small surgery with low risk. The surgery is called Orthognathic Surgery. My problem is called Protruded Maxilla (upper jaw). Below is a description of my problem and yes my whole gum can been seen when I smile. It even sticks out from the side.

One thing that really hurt me was when I was laughing; a family member had the camera to my mouth. And he was laughing at me along with other members. I looked the video and I can say my gum is really adnormal. I cried. Like the monkey top jaw without the skin and it can be seen from the side. I just want to be able to close my mouth. Right now I cant even to that.
Asalaamu Alaikum sister, corrective surgerys are permissable but it is best to get confirmation from a learned scholar. Can you not get hold of one in your area? If not i can help you locate one so that you can get this issue dealt with promptly.

Also do not let othes affect you for you are beautiful in the sight of Allah who made you like you are and this matter will be dealt with promptly just put your trust, faith and hope in Allah.

abdussattar
05-03-2011, 11:00 AM
But I want to have this surgery to be able to close my mouth without effort.
As much As I can understand, the surgery is not for beautifying, but for correcting an abnormality. and Intentions count too. The best way, do istekhaara. Inshallah you will do the right thing after that.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!