/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Assalamu Aleikum to all Muslims and Greetings to everyone else

al yunan
05-01-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm also a revert since 1983 but my entry to Islam was rather strange to say the least as it was through "clerical means". I used to be very impulsive and one fine day I got it into my head to change my identity to a Muslim one, officially.
It took me nearly five years after a very slow progress of learning to read the Quran and how to pray and so many rules to accept that I was Muslim. Only after a decade it finally dawned on me there are no coincidences my whole life led to Islam and that the will of Allah S.W.T made it all happen. I was not ready for any religion let alone Islam and yet here I am, proof positive that Allah S.W.T is Ghafur wa Rahim (Forgiving and Merciful)
To me the key issue was Trust, first in my hart and then in Allah S.W.T. The incredible transformation and my present understanding would be nothing short of impossible to explain to my previous self akin I think to explaining colours to the blind.
My gratitude for having been given a chance is hard to express as is my worry of the next life eternal.
May our main goal in life be Ridha Allah S.W.T (the pleasing of Allah s.w.t) and to follow the Sunah of our leader the prophet Muhammad s.a.w to live it and die in it, Amin !

The rules of this section state that one should NOT give to "many" personal details, Inshallah when I figure what "many" means I will write my story.

Masalam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
05-01-2011, 12:50 PM
:wa:

Welcome to the forum, brother! May you have enjoyable and beneficial stay.

Your story sounds fascinating already, and if you don't mind, you can share it with us with more details in this section
http://www.islamicboard.com/showthread.php?t=4914

al yunan
05-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Assalamu Alaikum brother Naidamar,
Thank you for your welcome and as per your sugestion the rest of the story.
Firstly the reason I came to Islam is not very flattering as I was a very impulsive person who followed where ever his hart or mind took him.When I was working in Brazil someone mention to me there is a place called Singapore and a street called so and so and surely you'll find work, so off I went with a one way ticket and $150. Even though I managed to get work the next day it's not a wise thing to do. I also married on a whim and seven months later divorced.
One morning I woke up with the Idea of changing my name to a Muslim one so I went around the Embassies inquiring until I got the information about A Mufti's office in northern Greece who could provide me with the document I sought. From the idea to reality in 24 hours I was standing in front of a terrifying to me man with a booming voice and after the secretary translated my request he rushed to me as I turned for the door to bolt but before I could this amazingly agile old man had grabbed me in a bear hug and then Kissed me on both cheeks. Then took my hand and shook it over and over again while in his booming voice was chattering away the pulled me near his desk and proceeded to what I know now is the Kalima Shahada with his eyes beaming like a proud father repeating it over and over. By now I was in total shock and thought I was to be killed in revenge for what ever they thought the Greeks did to them. I looked around the room which by now seemed the whole town was there and more people could be seen out the window, all smiling at me some beaming with joy and I finally calmed down enough to listen to the repetitive Kalimas.
Slowly word by word I managed it and after a split second of silence the room erupted in voices all saying I don't what except for a few "bravo" (Greek for well done) everything else was in Turkish. then people started to dig in their pockets and giving me money and wanting to shake my hand. A strange calm had taken hold of me and I felt as if I had taken a hand full of Valiums calm as royalty at a public function.
A lot of photos where taken and slowly I was ushered with a crowd in tow to the courtyard and finally out in the market street where everybody was looking at me and talking Turkish and smiling. Finally only two people where with me and the one who spoke Greek said to me to quickly get on the bus and return to Athens and handed me a certificate of change of faith.
I looked around everybody gone and thought how strange first I thought I might get elected Mayor now it's like I got plague. On my next visit I was told they where worried that the local Greek extremists might find out and attack me or worse. I decided to eat something while waiting for the bus to depart. I finished my meal and asked for the bill and the waiter said it's on the house and also asked to shake my hand and the cook came out also to shake and kiss my hand. I have no memory of the 13 hour drive back home.

I proceeded with changing my birth certificate and when I went for the final paper at the municipal office the clerk said to me the God will cut his arms off if he entered a non Christian name in the public record books. After getting a local policeman to explain that he will be summonsed if he does not issue the new certificate he got a colleague to write it out(those days everything was still hand written). Amidst curses and calls of traitor and Turkophile and wishes that Jesus A.S pluck my eyes out I left.
Now I felt obligated to find out what religion did I join. What is Islam ? What am I supposed to do ? My mind telling me with each public ridicule, you've done some dumb things in your life but this takes the cake and the crown for dumbest Greek, the King of fools. But my hart was inexplicably happy. Now the journey begins !
Inshallah the rest next time.
Masalam

al yunan
05-01-2011, 03:17 PM
I would not say Islam has affected my perception but rather Islam has totally changed it. As Islam has cradle to grave instructions and directives and everything in between I had to basically forget most of what I thought was the way to live. Like how to eat (by hand) the correct way to lie down to sleep, grooming, dressing and what one may wear, Au-rat (the parts of the body that may not be exposed in view of others) greeting etc.
Of course learning to read a new language, prayers, ritual bathing and all the other alien practices. When you are shown all these strange practices, the first thing that comes to mind is why ? What possible good can all these rituals do ?
The first thing I was told when I was taught to pray is "monkey see monkey do" and in my case it was worse as I was in Cape town in a Cape Malay Mosque so I was also the only white monkey.
After some time it started to dawn on me that all these activities and rituals bond to reshape what I thought of my self and my existence on this earth and refocus on being in service to a better self that was starting to emerge.
The basic instruction where also followed with the rules (shariah) the do and donts and lessons on Towheed which explains to whom we direct our prayers and who is Allah S.W.T and what role he has in everything.
The basis of Islam and principles of Iman where pretty straight forward except for the sixth article about power over good and evil and destiny, that took a couple of years to sink in, plus alot of verses to fully understand it.
After all the learning, reading and praying I felt that yes I was making progress but something was still missing,
I knew that I had a long way to go to learn enough to feel confident around other Muslims but that did not really bother me. I was worried about it all going mechanical,I had got my body and mind to co-operate but I needed to make all this mean more to me, I needed to care and to feel emotionally that it was part of me in other words hart and soul.
My first Ramadan was very troubled not with fasting but doubts I realised that I had been given a great chance by Allah S.W.T and I was afraid of blowing it and also thoughts of my past and was I really made for Islam, will I ever really be accepted. Then came the day of Aid and during the Takbir (Allahu Akbar) of the prayer I felt my chest rip open and upwards and the dome of the Mosque split open to let in a bolt of light stronger than the sun which engulfed me and calmed me down.
All this happened in between Takbir split second but to me time stood still to take it all in.
My doubts walking to the Mosque now gone and there was not a happier person on this planet and I did not even know why. After a while and a hearty meal (meals) I felt a calm I've never felt since and my hart told me you're in !
My mind of course took some time to accept this but the doubt was gone and replaced with eagerness to keep on learning and learning to prove I am worth been given a chance to be a Abd (servant) of Allah S.W.T.
Masalam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Wa Alaaykum As'salaam Wa Rahmatullaah Wa Barahkaatuh

Welcome to the forum!

Hope you enjoy your stay here and find it beneficial insha'Allaah

And Aameen to the Du'aa and may Allaah keep you steadfast upon the Deen of Allmighty Allaah Ameen

al yunan
05-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Walaikum salam brother naidamar,
Saya tersilap I posted in the wrong place, on a scale of 1 - 10 my skills on computer are -5. I also have to re log in every time I make a change (faulty CPu) also I dont yet know how to edit. Very hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
My apologies again,
Masalam

al yunan
05-01-2011, 11:48 PM
:embarrassWalaikum salam brother naidamar,
Saya tersilap I posted in the wrong place, on a scale of 1 - 10 my skills on computer are -5. I also have to re log in every time I make a change (faulty CPu) also I dont yet know how to edit. Very hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
My apologies again,
Masalam

al yunan
05-01-2011, 11:50 PM
:embarrassWalaikum salam brother naidamar,
Saya tersilap I posted in the wrong place, on a scale of 1 - 10 my skills on computer are -5.
I also have to re log in every time I make a change (faulty CPu) also I dont yet know how to edit. Very hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
My apologies again,
Masalam

Ramadhan
05-02-2011, 02:42 AM
:wa:
brother al yunan, tidak apa-apa.
when you log in, please check the very small box next to the password box (or under it, depending on the configuration), it says "remember me". That way you don't have to login each time. But do this if you use your private computer and don't do it on public computer.

Muslim Woman
05-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Walaykum as Salaam

Welcome to Islam ,
Welcome to the forum.

al yunan
05-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Walaikum Salam,
Jazak Allahukhair and Thanks sisters Pearl of Wisdom and Muslim Woman for your welcome.
Masalam

Endymion
05-02-2011, 07:10 PM
:sl: Respected Brother Noreddin :) and :welcome: to the humble forum.Its truly great to see you here and amazing to read your conversion story :statisfie I was about to ask you to share your conversion story but you already did :statisfie
Its really fascinating to read how people convert to Islam.I read Yahya's conversion story and he said the same thing.

One morning I woke up with the Idea of changing my name to a Muslim
Im surprised how hearts change over night,surely they are choosen ones to recieve the call towards the right path.Its out of my imagination as im a born Muslim :D

Would you like to explain a little bit how your heart turned to Islam?How you were feeling before that night ^o)

Any way,thanks for sharing your amazing story :statisfie

al yunan
05-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Walaikum Salam Endymion,
Thanks for your hearty welcome and smileys !
Well for one thing my story proves Allah S.W.T's will. As for Blessed in given a chance I agree but not just blessed for Allah S.W.T brings whomsoever he pleases to Islam some for good and some for.......... It is well known that the three last layers of hell are reserved for bad Muslims.Therefore Iman lies between hope and fear, as are my thoughts with me.

As for my heart it led the way and it took years to catch up to it and more years to learn to trust it. Everything took for ever with me but it taught me that Allah S.W.T knows what's best for us and we need to be patient "Inna Allah inama sabirin".
As for that night I can't remember it's 28 years ago.
By the way I admire those who are raised in Islam and come back for people like me reverts a lot of us are divided between being bewildered and on adventure which is easier than fighting yourself (Jihad ul Akbar)
Jazakallahu Khair
Masalam

Woodrow
05-14-2011, 02:41 PM
:sl: Akhi

I loved reading your reversion story. The stories of reverts always leaves me with a warm feeling and a sense of awe. Allaah(swt) truly works miracles. Many of us reverts have so much in common when we read each others stories we can see how even our first step as a baby was the start of walking down the path that would bring us home to Islam.

Jazakallahu Khayran for sharing with us.

al yunan
05-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Walaikum Assalam brother Woodrow,

Jazakallahu Khair and thanks for your reply but I'm still of the opinion that your story is still King !
I have spent a few years with reverts at a center and believed I've heard some pretty incredible stories but yours is a category of its own. Also sister flame's love story Wow !
Who could read such stories and deny that Allah S.W.T is Great, Mercifull, Forgiving and Loving
I think it might be a good idea to start a permanent thread to post the best revert stories from members.
To me that's the best form of Dawa and to encourage those who might be a bit lax with their Din.

May Allah S.W.T makes us Worthy.
Masalam

Woodrow
05-15-2011, 08:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan

Jazakallahu Khair and thanks for your reply but I'm still of the opinion that your story is still King !
I have spent a few years with reverts at a center and believed I've heard some pretty incredible stories but yours is a category of its own. Also sister flame's love story Wow !
Who could read such stories and deny that Allah S.W.T is Great, Mercifull, Forgiving and Loving
I think it might be a good idea to start a permanent thread to post the best revert stories from members.
To me that's the best form of Dawa and to encourage those who might be a bit lax with their Din.

May Allah S.W.T makes us Worthy.
Masalam
:sl:

There is a thread with the stories of reverts. I believe it is in the New Muslims section. If you think mine is is interesting you ought to read the one about this impulsive Greek guy who became Muslim through clerical means on a whim and 5 years later actually embraced Islam. Now that was one who Allaah(swt) Refused to give up on. Alhamdulillah. It is people like that who make one see the patience and mercy of Allaah(swt)

Hmmmm, you might be familiar with him. quite impressive and shows much love for Allaah(swt) a person we are proud and pleased to have as a member.

al yunan
05-15-2011, 09:13 AM

I'm blushing and told I look like a bearded ripe tomato. First the sisters made me blush with their kind words now you.
It took me five years to embrace Islam and 28 years for the family of Islam to embrace me. I thank you all for kindness and acceptance. I may not be the oldest person here I believe that honor goes to you brother but I think I'm the happiest.

May Allah S.W.T bless you all and reunite us in Jannah.
Masalam
Your happy brother al yunan

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!