/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Visiting a mosque?

GirlLeastLikely
05-02-2011, 02:23 PM
I have visited mosques before back home with a friend who is muslim, so with her it always felt safe since I was her guest. I now feel that I would like to go to a mosque again. It just feels really difficult to go on my own, I have no idea how to act, what to say etc. Anyone who feels the same way? Or have any advice?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
al yunan
05-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Dear sister,
Everything depends on why you want to visit a Mosque or any Mosque that would greatly facilitate in giving you a satisfactory answer.
masalam

Insaanah
05-02-2011, 10:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GirlLeastLikely
I have visited mosques before back home with a friend who is muslim, so with her it always felt safe since I was her guest. I now feel that I would like to go to a mosque again. It just feels really difficult to go on my own, I have no idea how to act, what to say etc. Anyone who feels the same way? Or have any advice?
Peace,

Ring the mosque you're thinking of visiting, before you go, and tell them you'd like to visit, as some mosques doors aren't open all the time. That way, someone can be there and wait for your arrival. If possible go around a prayer time (if you'd like to watch a congregational prayer). Make a list, on paper, of everything you want to ask, and take it with you. Ask if they've any literature you can take away and read.

Go modestly dressed, arms, legs and hair covered, and no figure hugging clothes. Don't try to shake the hands of any men, though you're free to do so with any sisters. Perhaps ask if a knowledgeable female Muslim can be present when you go, if that would make you feel more comfortable. She could also be a future point of contact for you.

Just as a note, the larger mosques tend to be more adequately resourced than relatively smaller ones. I'm not sure whereabouts in London you are, but East London Mosque is a good one. Last time I heard they were doing classes at 2pm every Saturday afternoon where anybody interested in Islam can simply turn up, learn about Islam, see the mosque, get literature etc. That way you wouldn't feel alone. I'm not sure if they're still doing that, but here's their phone number: 020 7650 3000. Even if they're not, they'll still be most welcoming. As a note, there is a chance the phone may not be answered during prayer times, just try again later if it isn't.

Thats about all I can think of for now, but if I think of anything else I'll post it inshaa'Allah.

Peace.

Ramadhan
05-03-2011, 03:15 AM
It depends on what purpose you want to visit a mosque.
If you want to learn something, then it may best to contact the imam of the mosque beforehand so you will have someone to be with you and explain things.
If you want to go just to look around, I don't see anything wrong with it, just make sure you dress islamically.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ayesha.ansari
05-03-2011, 04:47 AM
are you Muslim dear. you can go their take wudu and then start praying to ALLAH (one GOD). wish for any thing that make your life different . Discuss with some one what is those verses that can help you through out your life to be prosperous.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!