/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Indian/Pak food - does it exist?

Far7an
05-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

Does anyone know of any healthy recipes for Indian/Pakistan/South Asian/Desi Food? I asked a friend and he said, "It doesn't exist."

Looking forward to your ideas insha'Allah, JZK!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
05-03-2011, 05:55 PM
I don't think it exists either lol. All our curries are made from Oil, and the side lines like samosa's are fried in Oil. And the deserts are full of bad stuff too lol.

Far7an
05-03-2011, 05:56 PM
I actually baked some samosas, they don't taste as bad as you'd think bro!

Milad10
05-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Same here - Used George Foreman for our somasos. It's actually quite good.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
05-03-2011, 05:59 PM
dhaal is healthy....chapati is healthy.....gosht is healthy....chicken tikka is healthy

pagal!

Hannah.
05-03-2011, 06:07 PM
I once asked my mum if the curries can be made with water instead of oil, and she said that can't happen. =( I guess the healthiest way is reduce the salt you put in and use extra virgin olive oil.

yas2010
05-03-2011, 06:11 PM
I have made chicken and lamb without oil. You would be surprised at the amount of fat they contain, naturally.
My dear dad (passed away) gave me an awesome recipe for cooking healthy lamb samosa rolls and it was basically to cook the lamb mince in its own fat then add diced potatoes and peas. Then to use samosa pastry sheets to roll them up and bake them in the oven. Very yummy. I can taste them now. :)

S.Belle
05-03-2011, 06:12 PM
hope this helps

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/SouthAsia...n-recipes.aspx
http://indiadesitadka.blogspot.com/
http://www.ifood.tv/network/healthy_pakistani/recipes

yas2010
05-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Extra Virgin oil is good for pouring over food. But my mums GP said that when you heat Olive oil its not that different to Butter.

Salahudeen
05-03-2011, 06:21 PM
^Yes I heard all oil is bad when heated. I also heard a statistic a while back, not sure how true it is, but according to an NHS survery that was done, the highest community with heart related problems was the Indo/Pak community. I'm not sure how true that is.

yas2010
05-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Salaam Br

Its very true. Those from a South Asian orgin are 6 times more likely to develop type 2 diabetes and the chance increase vastly if either/both parents have this. I know so many within the small community that have to rely on kidney dialysis. Its very scary but it could be prevented through life style changes especially our sedate lifestyles.

The Indo/Pak community need to look very carefully at what they shovel into their mouths.

gladTidings
05-03-2011, 09:10 PM
I dont have recipes but some suggestions:

Grilled meats like lamb chops, chicken tikka pieces prepared with spices and yoghurt.
Dhal is pretty healthy too and you can really limit the oil/butter content.
Make chappati's using wholemeal flour or 50/50 mix.
Make a huge salad with every meal so the portion size of everything else is reduced.
Avoid excessive sweets like gulab jamun... I didnt realise how much sugar they actually contain until I made some myself!

Its all about moderation. I love our cuisine <3

Reflections
05-03-2011, 10:27 PM
If it's not oil filled it's not indian/pak food (enough)!

Innocent Soul
05-04-2011, 05:44 AM
Indian food can also be made by using less oil and spices. :mmokay:

format_quote Originally Posted by yas2010
The Indo/Pak community need to look very carefully at what they shovel into their mouths.
Yeah many Indians and Pakistanis whom I know have mostly diabetes or high blood pressure :ermm:. I am delighted to see that Indian food is quite famous :). It looks like there are many Indian and Pakistani here :giggling:.

format_quote Originally Posted by peãrl
Avoid excessive sweets like gulab jamun...
I love to eat that :p.

waji
05-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Far7an i think Any Food is healthy

but here people have different standard of their own for Healthy Food.

Ansariyah
05-04-2011, 10:36 AM
I have Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi Muslim Friends, sometimes they take me out to eat. I love their food, but I dont like the oil, and too many spices. But I love plain naan with kabab or some plain rice. Or Chicken Tikka with plain rice Hmm!

Mango Lasii!

Far7an
05-04-2011, 11:06 AM
I appreciate all the replies guys. Keep em coming.

Endymion
05-04-2011, 11:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by thequietone

pagal!
:giggling:

I dont know if this happens to everyone else here or its just me :cry: I was reading Salahuddin as Salad :omg:

********* Back to Topic ************

I dont think its a big deal for people who care about Nutrition and health factor in their food.You can make your Pakistani/Indian food Healthy as well.Use green chillies or black pepper instead of red chilli powder and put small amount of oil in your food.Believe me it wont hurt the taste.Try this recipie.

Dhuaa Ghosht./Smokey Meat.

Meat.1 kg
Garlic/ginger paste.1 tsp
Yogurt.1 cup
Red chilli powder.1 tsp.Or Green chilli.4 to 6.grinded.

Turmeric.1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder.1/2 tsp
Salt.(According to taste)
Onions.3 medium size
Coal (Koyla) 1 piece
Oil.1/2 cup
Chapati.1

Recipie.
Add all spices,yogurt,oil and 4 glass water in meat and cook till tender.Now cook meat till oil seperates,add sliced onions and cook it for 2 minuted.Now burn Koyla till it turned red,spread chapati on meat and put the Koyla on it and drop 1/2 tsp oil on koyla and cover the pan properly.After 5 minutes remove koyla and chapati and garnish Dhuaa Gosht with Fresh Dhanya leaves and green chillies.

piXie
05-04-2011, 11:51 AM
:sl:

Ofcourse healthy Indian/Pak food exists. Infact, its healthier than most foods. :hmm:

... If we take 3 steps into consideration;

1. Use good wholesome ingredients and Good equipment e.g. use olive oil instead of butter oil [olive oil doesnt clog your arteries]. Initially to fry the onions, a couple of tablespoons are enough. But if one likes more oil, they can pour it on after the karahi/curry etc has been cooked. Btw this is not unhealthy (unless u are really fat). Olive oil has many many benefits, including good source of vit E.

2nd e.g. use non-aluminium pan because aluminium is toxic and effects brain cells. Steel is best. But if you really have to use aluminium then fresh corinader leaves eliminates the toxic effects.

2. Manner of cooking.
e.g. Dont burn the onions tooooo brown otherwise can become carcogenic. 2nd e.g. Put the ginger/green chillies in at the end 2 mins before turning the fire off. 3rd e.g. Dont over-cook.

3. Serving.
- Any food, even if its English food which people consider healthy... if you dont portion it on your plate properly, it wont be healthy. e.g. a person piles their plate with meat and potatoe but No veg.

Same with asian food. You have to portion it out properly. So if we mentally divide the plate into 4 portions... In one portion you have your curry/protein, in the 2nd portion you have your carbohydrate which is your roti or rice, in the 3rd portion you should have your salad... n the last portion you leave empty. But most Pakistani/Indian people fill their plate with rice or curry and dont leave enough room for salad. Now you cant blame the food for peoples bad eating habbits :hmm:

If we take a look at some of the ingredients used in asian cooking, you'll find it to be quite a healthy dish.

e.g. Tumeric or haldi - a great herb brilliant for pain relief in joints and decreasing inflammation

Ginger - vital source of zinc needed for immune health.

Garlic - clears all the arteries, rids body of infections, and does a whole load of other good stuff.

cayenne pepper - again, brilliant health benefits. Helps flow of blood in tissues, accelerates oxygen of cells etc.

Oil - Our bodies need a certain amount of fat.... certain vitamins wont even be asborbed without fat. So people who think healthy food = no fat... thats a misunderstanding.

Cumin - Really beneficial for indigestion

.... and so forth.

So in summary, indian/Pak food can actually be quite healthy. Even pizza can actually be quite healthy if its made taking the above 3 steps into consideration ^. And yummy too.

format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
according to an NHS survery that was done, the highest community with heart related problems was the Indo/Pak community.
format_quote Originally Posted by yas2010
Those from a South Asian orgin are 6 times more likely to develop type 2 diabetes and the chance increase vastly if either/both parents have this.
Thats more to do with the people eating too much and not excercising enough. :hmm: Its not the Pak/Indian food.

Perseveranze
05-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Lol, I went to the reputed 2nd most cleanest and best restuarant in Rawalpindi, and I still got sick the next day...

Reflections
05-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Why do the indian -pakistani population (in UK), especially those aged 40+ have diabetes? Isn't it because of the food they consume? I have 2 in 3 chances of becoming diabetic, both my fathers and mothers side family members have diabetes.

nature
05-04-2011, 02:10 PM
ive never heard of baking a samosa ?:hmm: the older generation of asians have appauling diets, no veg/fruits and live off sugar/makan...

Reflections
05-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Oh I have tried that baked samosas...prefer it the deep fried way.

Alpha Dude
05-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Wa alaykum salam,

Have some mashed potato with a chappati.

yas2010
05-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Why do the indian -pakistani population (in UK), especially those aged 40+ have diabetes? Isn't it because of the food they consume? I have 2 in 3 chances of becoming diabetic, both my fathers and mothers side family members have diabetes.
salaam sister, i have spoken to my Mums, GP extensively about this. If i was to go back to two generation in my family then they were hardworking farmers and consumed far less refined food. Just proper good food. Ate properly but worked very hard. Fastforward to the children/grandchildren of these farmers and they have very sedate lifestyles and gorge on far too much.

Even if you look within Pakistan. In the rural communities where life is hard. Diabetes and high BP is still unheard of, yet in the cities there are problems.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/8524407.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7728092.stm

abdussattar
05-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Oil is healthy!

جوري
05-05-2011, 06:39 PM
I do like two 'Indo/Pakistani' dishes that my friend in grad school used to make for me in my humble opinion they're healthy by virtue of ingredients..but I am not sure because I don't know how they're made..

1- is chaat I think that is what is called

and the other one is saag paneer

I usually take the cheese out of it though ..

Tilmeez
05-05-2011, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
I appreciate all the replies guys. Keep em coming.

Kaka summ sha Daa Taa kam karon ta day zaan akhta karay day :X

I think every food is healthy... it just take one Pakistani (one pathan, specially) to consume it :)

I make namkeen ghosht very nice, I did tell you, remember? I even invited you to come by and i will make it for you.

I can't share the recipe I just make it. Only today we had fish for dinner and it was wonderful for two reasons:
a. I bought it directly from a fisherman who was offloading his hunt from his boat.
b. Of course, I cooked it :p

abdussattar
05-07-2011, 01:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
1- is chaat I think that is what is called
Chaat includes a large variety of foods. The one in the photo is called Dahi puri:wub:

جوري
05-07-2011, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar

Chaat includes a large variety of foods. The one in the photo is called Dahi puri:wub:
oh then it is probably the wrong one, what does the one above have? The one I had, was made of chick peas, cracker type things and a sort of minty yogurty sauce that as very cooling.. I understand much of Asian cuisine to be very spicy and there are very few things of it that I can actually eat that won't hurt and that particular one fit the bill.. what does chaat mean anyway?

CosmicPathos
05-07-2011, 02:22 AM
^^ yea thats dahi barhay .... yoghurt and pakoray and probably onions, some also call it chaat but we punjabis refer to fruit chaat when we say 'chaat." hmm.

saag paneer is not that healthy due to overdose of paneer. Just try saag alone along with mukai ki roti, my mom loves saag.

try butter chicken sometime.

and if you want to be really healthy and innovative, try karela fillings with qeema.

tw009
05-07-2011, 02:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar

We call them Gol Gappay : )

CosmicPathos
05-07-2011, 02:48 AM
daim, memories

gol gappay
baraf kay golay in Monsoon rains
khoye ki kulfi ....
bhunnay hoye channay ...
chilli milli

sometimes best things are the cheapest things that millions eat, not those sold at best restaurants ... oonchi dukaan, pheeka pakwaan

جوري
05-07-2011, 02:53 AM
haaaa.. now I am confused more than ever which is the chick pea meal?.. if it helps my friend who introduced me to it is punjabi...
and you're right in that I don't like the cheese in the spinach I am not sure what kind of cheese it is I always take it out. Punjabi food is really the best I have tried and I love the garlic or onion bread too.. I tried some other Indian cuisine from other regions and hated it.. always had a hint of sweetness that just messed things up and colors which I was always suspicious of..

:w:

CosmicPathos
05-07-2011, 03:00 AM
haaaa.. now I am confused more than ever which is the chick pea meal?.. if it helps my friend who introduced me to it is punjabi...
and you're right in that I don't like the cheese in the spinach I am not sure what kind of cheese it is I always take it out. Punjabi food is really the best I have tried and I love the garlic or onion bread too.. I tried some other Indian cuisine from other regions and hated it.. always had a hint of sweetness that just messed things up and colors which I was always suspicious of..

lol. welcome to the this West side of the Punjab :D

if you ever happen to visit Lahore, Pakistan in your life, ever, dont forget to dine at Food street and at Bundu Khan. And yea, dont forget to taste gol gappay. lol

جوري
05-07-2011, 03:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
lol. welcome to the this West side of the Punjab :D

if you ever happen to visit Lahore, Pakistan in your life, ever, dont forget to dine at Food street and at Bundu Khan. And yea, dont forget to taste gol gappay. lol
I will visit one day insha'Allah.. have too many Pakistani friends to let that opportunity pass me by =)

jazaka Allah khyran

abdussattar
05-07-2011, 10:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tw009
gol gapay are different. The same ... hollow things with flavoured spicy water. Dahi puri is one with flavoured (but not spicy, its more like sweet) curd which has water added and whipped.

Haya emaan
05-07-2011, 03:37 PM
haaaa.. now I am confused more than ever which is the chick pea meal?..

may be u have eaten cholay chaat:p

format_quote Originally Posted by tw009
gol gappay are here:p

S.Belle
05-10-2011, 07:50 PM
is chaat I think that is what is called

OHHHH so chaat is food
I feel so stupid there is a place near where I live called Chaat House..or Chaat something....
I thought it was like a cafe-ish type place where you could get on the net or something....bc of chat and the added a was just for like personality or something......*face palm*

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-10-2011, 11:59 PM
You're friend was right lol..i read the thread title and had the exact same reaction: "It doesn't exist".

abdussattar
05-12-2011, 09:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by S.Belle

OHHHH so chaat is food
I feel so stupid there is a place near where I live called Chaat House..or Chaat something....
I thought it was like a cafe-ish type place where you could get on the net or something....bc of chat and the added a was just for like personality or something......*face palm*
Check this link

yas2010
05-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Salaam Br,

try karela fillings with qeema.
When we were kids we used to refer to Karela ( Bitter melons) as crocodiles....look at the when they are sliced in half .....cant eat them....BUT do love the keema. Yum!

Hamza Asadullah
05-12-2011, 02:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
Assalaamu alaikum,

Does anyone know of any healthy recipes for Indian/Pakistan/South Asian/Desi Food? I asked a friend and he said, "It doesn't exist."

Looking forward to your ideas insha'Allah, JZK!
Asalaamu Alaikum, without a doubt south asian food is not of the most healthiest of foods out there but it can be made "healthier" than it is made today. This can be done in the following ways:

1. As long as you're using fats and oils sparingly in your cooking and preparation, it would be fine to use any one of the following "good" oils. All of the following oils are low in saturated fats and trans fats. Some have high concentration of monounsaturated fats such as olive oil.

Choose safflower oil, sunflower oil, soy oil or canola oil if you wish to fry foods as these oils have higher smoke point. It is best not to fry with olive oil as its smoke point is only about 190C/375F.

Good Cooking Oils:

canola oil
flax seed oil
peanut oil
olive oil
non-hydrogenated soft margarine
safflower oil
sunflower oil

The following "bad" oils contain high percentage of trans fat or saturated fats:

Bad Cooking Oils:

Vegetable shortening
Hard margarine
Butter
Palm oil
Palm kernel oil
Coconut oil

2. Try to eat a wide variety of foods not just meat or chicken everyday but include in your diet all kinds of fruit and vegtables as well as Nuts, seeds and pulses. Minimize eating red meat to once a week and make use all kinds of vegtables, lentils etc in ones curry and instead of eating white rice switch to wholsgrain brown rice.

3. Portion control and minimizing quantity of food in anyone sitting:

Consider the following:

On the authority of Al-Miqdaam ibn Maadiy-Karib who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah saying: "No human ever filled a vessel worse than the stomach. Sufficient for any son of Adam are some morsels to keep his back straight. But if it must be, then one third for his food, one third for his drink and one third for his breath."
Ahmad, At-Tirmidhi, An-Nasaa’I, Ibn Majah – Hadith sahih.

Ibn Masaweh, a Muslim doctor, said after reading this hadith: "If the people only used these words, they would avoid all diseases and maladies and the clinics and pharmacies would be idle."

Another doctor, Al-Harith ibn Kalada said: That which has killed mankind is the introduction of food on top of food before it has been digested.

3. As for spiritual benefits: humbleness of heart, strength of understanding, lessening of lower desires, lessening of personal opinions and anger, while overeating induces the opposites of all of those. Al-Hassan Al-Basri said: "O, son of Adam, eat with one third of your stomach and drink with one third and leave one third of your stomach to breathe so that you may think."

4. Ibn Umar: A man said to Ibn Umar: Shouldn’t I bring you some jawarish? Ibn Umar said: What is that? He said: Something which aids in digesting your food after you eat. Ibn Umar said: I have not eaten to being full for four months. That is not because I am not able to do so, but I was with a group of people who were hungry more than they were full.

5. Not reaching your goals: Muhammad ibn Wasi said: Whoever eats little will understand and make others understand and will be clear and humble. Overeating weighs a person down and keeps him from much of what he wants [to accomplish]."

6. Al-Hassan Al-Basri: The test of Adam, peace be upon him, was food and it is your test until Qiyama. And, it used to be said: Whoever takes control of his stomach gets control of all good deeds. And: Wisdom does not reside in a full stomach. One day, Al-Hassan offered some food to his companion who said: I have eaten until I am no longer able to eat. To which Al-Hassan said: Subhaana Allah! Does a Muslim eat until he is no longer able to eat?

7. Allah grants this world to those whom He loves and those He does not love but only grants hunger to those whom he loves.

8. Ash-Shafi’I said: I have not filled myself in sixteen years because filling oneself makes the body heavy, removes clear understanding, induces sleep and makes one weak for worship.

9. In Muslim and Bukhari: "The believer eats with one stomach while the kafir eats with seven stomachs." Meaning: The believer eats with the manners of Islam and in moderation, while the karif eats based on desires and gluttony and so he eats with seven stomachs.

10. Also: "Food for one is enough for two and food for two is enough for three and food for three is enough for four."

11. Also: From Aisha: The family of Muhammad (sas) never filled themselves with wheat bread three days in a row from the time he came to Madinah until he passed away."

12. A Muslim should not merely follow his appetites. Allah said: {Then, they were followed by generations who neglected the prayer and followed their appetites. They will encounter a pit of fire except for those who repent…} Maryam 59-60.

13. The best generations didn’t. "The best generation is my generation, followed by the one after them then the one after them. Then will come a people who bear witness but are not asked to bear witness, who swear oaths but do not fulfill them and fatness will appear among them." (Muslim &Bukhari).

14. From Abi Barza that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said: "My greatest fear for you is the appetites of transgression with regard to your stomachs and your privates and the inclinations which lead astray". (Ahmad and others and its narrators are people of sahih)

Therefore the portion size and quantity of food one eats in any one sitting should be minimized to the point where at the end of the meal one would feel just satisfied without feeling so full or to the point of feeling bloated. Instead one should have enough food after every meal to feel satisfied but still have more room left in their stomachs for more.

May Allah enable us to eat of the good foods he has created for us in order to benefit us without transgressing the limits. Ameen

And Allah knows best in all matters

Salahudeen
05-12-2011, 03:04 PM
^Nice post but when I eat little I disappear untill there's nothing left except bones and I lose all my strength

Hamza Asadullah
05-12-2011, 03:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
^Nice post but when I eat little I disappear untill there's nothing left except bones and I lose all my strength
Asalaamu Alaikum, My brother no one is telling you to eat so little to the point where you are still starving and where you would after a while end up being skin and bones but the point is that we must eat as much as we feel satisfied but still have room in our stomachs for a third more and that third more should be reserved for us to be able to breathe properly and not feel so full and bloated. Clearly where many of us go wrong is when we constantly over eat and do not control our food portions.

It was never the practise of Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) or any of the sahaba to eat as much as we do today for they only eat when they were hungry and even then did not eat with the intent of filling their stomachs to the point of feeling full or bloated as we do today but they ate enough to have felt satisfied and still had enough room in their stomachs to breathe and have room for more.

Without a doubt the diet of Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) was and still is the best diet on earth and if we implementd such a diet into our lives then no doubt it would benefit us physically as well as spiritually in this world and the next world.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!