/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Empirical VS Accumilative Knowledge

al yunan
05-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Salam to all,
Two main bodies of knowledge as per an Islamic view: 1. The empirical 2. The accumulative.
1. The empirical Knowledge as in experience combined with what is learned about Islam or what is learned through experience and then evaluated trough knowledge as to it's Islamic significance.
2. The accumulative knowledge as in remembrance of all that is learned and then to find it's practical significance in Islam.
In an analogy to evaluate the two an example:
One person has designs and detailed plans for a high tech house.
Another person has Building skills but no plans
One can definitely see that one without the other would be useless.

The perfect example of combined empirical and accumulative knowledge would be the prophet s.a.w.
He had to live through the revelations, sometimes, first by experiencing then shown the answer by revelation.

What occurred in later centuries amongst the scholars is well recorded in Islam's history.
I would like to mention one only example and that is Imam Malik rahimullah.
When he was asked as how come since he knew tens of thousands of Ahadith (some say 100,000 even more) he only used just over 7,000 (some of which where repetative); to which he replied that he only managed to experience that many. A example of that statement would be when he was asked once about the merits of freeing a slave he told that person to come for the reply the following week. When the person returned he asked the Imam how come you could not give me a reply straight away; to which the Imam replied "I had no slave to free so i had to purchase one then set him free so I could give you a better answer"

My question is, which of the two types of knowledge is the most accepted today and why ?
Masalam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
al yunan
05-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Assalamu Alaikum to all,

My first thread and not even one answer or anything !
Two weeks the cobwebs are amassing.
What can I say ?

Masalam

ardianto
05-21-2011, 09:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan

One person has designs and detailed plans for a high tech house.
Another person has Building skills but no plans
The first one is Muslim activist. He has a design and detailed for ummah, such as plan to build zakat house, plan to build free hospital, etc.

Another one is Student of Knowledge. He has no plan like Muslim activist because his focus is teaching his knowledge.

May Ayob
05-21-2011, 07:35 PM
I know you thoroughly expalined but i stilled don't understand what is the difference between the two , is it like Empirical- Learning from Chemistry class through expirements
Accumilative- learning chemsitry by reading the book and memorizing it?

thank you

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
May Ayob
05-21-2011, 07:36 PM
As for your questions from what i understood i think empirical would be most accepted today because it is more sincere and God knows best.

al yunan
05-21-2011, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
The first one is Muslim activist. He has a design and detailed for ummah, such as plan to build zakat house, plan to build free hospital, etc. Another one is Student of Knowledge. He has no plan like Muslim activist because his focus is teaching his knowledge.

Assalamu Alaikum brother ardianto,

Mashallah, I must say I like the way you think, you have definite leanings to Ilmu Hikmah.
I especially liked the analogy.

Masalam

al yunan
05-21-2011, 08:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
I know you thoroughly expalined but i stilled don't understand what is the difference between the two , is it like Empirical- Learning from Chemistry class through expirements Accumilative- learning chemsitry by reading the book and memorizing it? thank you

Salam sister May Ayob,

Yes, that's pretty much it.
One is knowledge through experience and the other memorizing knowledge.

Masalam

boriqee
05-27-2011, 05:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
I know you thoroughly expalined but i stilled don't understand what is the difference between the two , is it like Empirical- Learning from Chemistry class through expirements
Accumilative- learning chemsitry by reading the book and memorizing it?

thank you
asalamu alaikum

you may want to give this a read so as to clarify the matter for you inshallah

http://forums.understanding-islam.co...l=1#post159333

asalamu alaikum

May Ayob
05-27-2011, 10:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by al-Izaaree
asalamu alaikum you may want to give this a read so as to clarify the matter for you inshallah http://forums.understanding-islam.co...l=1#post159333 asalamu alaikum

Wa alaikum al Salaam , Thank you very much for the link , Jazak Allah kahryn.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!