/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hello from new person in the forums

UUSeeker
05-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Hello all,

My name is Mark and I am a Unitarian Universalist living in the Southwest United States.
I am making mention of my religion because it wasn't on the list of choices. As is part of my faith, we study other faiths, because we believe truth and a glimpse of the infinite, of God if you will, can be found in them.
We have studied Islam, but only from a historical perspective, i.e., where and when it was founded, etc.
I wanted to become more familiar with Muslims because I believe there is no better way to learn about other faiths than from those who practice and believe it. Many books can be written, but the best ambassador is always the person.
I hope I will be welcome here and be able to further my knowledge about Islam and those who practice it.

Peace.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
05-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Woodrow
05-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Peace and Welcome to the Forum. I am pleased to see you desire to learn about us from us and not rely on the media. Please feel free to ask questions. We will do our best to answer.

al yunan
05-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Welcome brother Mark,
Hope your time here will benefit you and us.
If I may ask you a question, is your church from the original Unitarians from England ?
I read that Benjamin Franklin was a Unitarian is that true ?
Sorry to start off with questions but I also like you like to know about other's beliefs.
Masalam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
yas2010
05-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Welcome Br Mark,

To the Lovely IB family. Insh'Allah (GOD-Willing) your stay is fulfilling and happy.

:)

Asiyah3
05-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Welcome,

Hope you enjoy and benefit from your stay with us.

Haya emaan
05-08-2011, 02:59 PM
welcome to the forum..
hope you will have a beneficial stay here

- Qatada -
05-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Hi UUSeeker :) welcome

Here's a good site where you can learn the basics of Islamic beliefs; http://IslamReligion.com

We look forward to your questions and your stay here! :)

Peace!

UUSeeker
05-19-2011, 05:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan
Welcome brother Mark,
Hope your time here will benefit you and us.
If I may ask you a question, is your church from the original Unitarians from England ?
I read that Benjamin Franklin was a Unitarian is that true ?
Sorry to start off with questions but I also like you like to know about other's beliefs.
Masalam
Sorry for the delay in answering, but I was out of town.
The answer to your question is yes, the concept of organized Unitarianism came from Europe, first in Transylvania, then England. The basic idea is that, although still originally considered Christian, Unitarians didn't (don't) believe in the trinity. They believe in God as a single, united being or entity.
In Europe, some people were killed because of this belief. Some Christians still consider us heretics.

Unitarians and Universalists were actually two different denominations, Unitarians, as I described above, and Universalists, who believe in universal salvation.

The two merged in the U.S. in 1961 to become Unitarian Universalists and now it has evolved to the point where many UUs don't consider themselves Christians. We draw on many faiths and beliefs, as well as science and humanism in our searches for truth and meaning.

Sorry I became so wordy. But, once you get me going . . .

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Peace.

UUSeeker
05-19-2011, 05:18 AM
Oops, forgot part of your question, al yunan.

Yes, Benjamin Franklin was a Unitarian, as were John Adams, John Quincy Adams and Thomas Jefferson, who were U.S. presidents.
So were Thomas Paine and Daniel Webster.

Peace.

al yunan
05-19-2011, 07:26 AM
Thanks for your answer brother,

The following is what I know of the Monotheists / Unitarians:

When I was learning at school about the council of Nicaea and the split of the church into R.C.C and E.O.C; I investigated further as a result in library books and discovered the Monotheists movement.
The discovery plus the dogmatic Byzantine ideology and persecution of non adherents made me leave Christianity.
I remained an Atheist until my 30s, after which Islam found me.
A large part of Monotheists in the Balkans joined the Masons in the 1800s and where called the society of friends which spread across Europe to revive and lead the Freemasons into the new organisation that they are today.
When Pope John Paul pardoned the Masons and lifted the excommunication the Monotheists resurfaced in Europe though in insignificant numbers.
The movement of Monotheists or believers of the 1,000 as they where called lasted in my native country of Greece especially amongst the Academics until the Junta wiped them out in the late 60s and early 70s and sent some to exile or in hiding.
Some hid in monasteries until their death. If there are any left they keep quiet as tolerance by the E.O.C has not changed.
In the minds of most Christians Monotheists are Masons and their present history is still unknown to the general public.
As for the American pre and post revolution movement ? Only rumors and speculation.
As an outsider studying the personalities of the revolution and the formation of the Republic I would say that J.Adams was the only one who showed any true Monotheistic Morality.
I would love to know your comments and corrections to what I'm sure are European Lies.

Masalam

selsebil
05-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Welcome to the forum.Hope you'd benefit from your stay here.

Amanda
05-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Welcome to IB... I'm sure you'll learn lots about Islam here, and get a good sense of what Muslims are like, with all their different backgrounds and such. :)

AmineH
05-19-2011, 05:15 PM
salaam
welcome to this forum .

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!