/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I know drinking Alcohol is not allowed in Islam but is drinking Soda or Tea or Milk a

truthseeker63
05-14-2011, 08:42 PM
I know drinking Alcohol is not allowed in Islam but is drinking Soda or Tea or Milk allowed in Islam in other words any drink Humans drink besides Alcohol ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
05-14-2011, 09:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker63
I know drinking Alcohol is not allowed in Islam but is drinking Soda or Tea or Milk allowed in Islam in other words any drink Humans drink besides Alcohol ?
Pretty much anything besides alcohol or blood (human or animal).

Reflections
05-14-2011, 09:50 PM
As far as I know I don't think consuming milk/tea/caffeine/soda and so forth have the same outcome and after-effect as drinking alcohol accomplishes..behaving like an animal : ) ..So great Islam is alhemdulilah.

Woodrow
05-14-2011, 10:28 PM
The careful thing to note is that we are to avoid intoxicants. Alcohol is probably the most common intoxicant. So that is why we are to avoid drinking alcohol. I notice that the things you listed "drinking Soda or Tea or Milk " and some thing you did not list do contain what are medically called drugs. Although an intoxicant is a drug, not all drugs are intoxicants.

Care must be taken that You do not make the halal appear to be haram.

Yes tea, coffee, most sodas, chocolate and many other items do contain caffeine and caffeine is a drug. But it is not an intoxicant. Because something contains a drug is not an automatic reason to call it haram. Sugar is also a drug and many other items not usually associated as being drugs such as: saccharin, salt, some spices, Mono Sodium Glutamate (MSG), citric acid, Most vitamins, etc.

So virtually every potable liquid except for those which contain alcohol are permitted. With a few minor exceptions such as blood, which is also specifically forbidden.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ramadhan
05-16-2011, 02:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karl
Like when the Prophet Isa (Jesus) PBUH turned water into wine at a party. The water by itself could have been unsafe to drink.
The mention for this only comes from bible, which we are not allowed to take as evidence as we dont know what is the truth or not in the bible.

The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said Alcohol and intoxicants were a gift from Allah,
evidence? Can you tell us which hadith, because I don't think I've heard of this before.

There were a lot of drunks and drug takers stumbling around in the Majids
I have read ahadeeth about drunks in Makkah/Madina before the complete prohibition of intoxicants, including the one with Hamza (ra), but I don't think I've read hadith about "a lot of drunks and drug takers stumbling around in the Majids"

Mods please forgive any inaccuracys it's just for people to get the jist of it.
inaccuracy is a problem, but attributing lies to the prophet Muhammad SAW has severe consequences:

Narrated 'Ali: The Prophet said, "Do not tell a lie against me for whoever tells a lie against me (intentionally) then he will surely enter the Hell-fire."
References:
Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 3, #106, Book: Kitab al-Iilm (Knowledge)

Insaanah
05-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Peace.

Just a word of warning that care should be taken with clear apple juice. It starts off in it's natural state as cloudy apple juice (that has none of the bits removed) and then the pectin is removed from it to make it clear. This can done by passing it through a gelatin filter (and the gelatin can be of swine or other non-halal slaughtered animal origin, or vegetable origin) or through the use of enzymes (some of which may originate from e.g. swine pancreas, other animals, or other origin). The gelatine can be chemically detected in the end product through testing.

It's best to check with the company first though as to what they use to clarify the juice, as it may be the case that they process it only using vegetable matter. But to avoid all doubt, cloudy apple juice may be best.

And Allah knows best.

Peace.

Woodrow
05-16-2011, 02:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
Peace.

Just a word of warning that care should be taken with clear apple juice. It starts off in it's natural state as cloudy apple juice (that has none of the bits removed) and then the pectin is removed from it to make it clear. This can done by passing it through a gelatin filter (and the gelatin can be of swine or other non-halal slaughtered animal origin, or vegetable origin) or through the use of enzymes (some of which may originate from e.g. swine pancreas, other animals, or other origin). The gelatine can be chemically detected in the end product through testing.

It's best to check with the company first though as to what they use to clarify the juice, as it may be the case that they process it only using vegetable matter. But to avoid all doubt, cloudy apple juice may be best.

And Allah knows best.

Peace.
Also the unfiltered cloudy one tastes better. It was always my preference going back to child hood, long before I had accepted Islam. I never did like the clear one it always tasted like colored water to me.

al yunan
05-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Salam to all,

Just a reminder that anything containing what is deemed harmful to one's health is Haram.
Each of us might use different criteria and if we are unsure the item is best left.
When something is marked as Halal it does not necessary mean it's Halal unless the Authority of the stamp is known and trusted.
The above mentioned is a consensus of the four Mathab.
Also when one is in a foreign land and is told something is Halal by another Muslim then it is so until otherwise proven as the fault or sin would be with the one who said it's Halal.

Masalam

Karl
05-16-2011, 11:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar

The mention for this only comes from bible, which we are not allowed to take as evidence as we dont know what is the truth or not in the bible.

"True the Bible is full of far out tales from the Middle East. I prefer the Arabian Nights.
Icelandic Sagas are probably way more truthful."

evidence? Can you tell us which hadith, because I don't think I've heard of this before.
"Sorry I just remember reading it somewhere."

I have read ahadeeth about drunks in Makkah/Madina before the complete prohibition of intoxicants, including the one with Hamza (ra), but I don't think I've read hadith about "a lot of drunks and drug takers stumbling around in the Majids"

inaccuracy is a problem, but attributing lies to the prophet Muhammad SAW has severe consequences:

Narrated 'Ali: The Prophet said, "Do not tell a lie against me for whoever tells a lie against me (intentionally) then he will surely enter the Hell-fire."
References:
Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 3, #106, Book: Kitab al-Iilm (Knowledge)
I hope Allah will forgive me.

Btw Why is Indonesia not an Islamic State? Why has it got a secular government when it has a Muslim majority? Why is it a friend of the Infidel States at war with Islam?.

Ramadhan
05-16-2011, 11:51 PM
You are going off topic, Karl, but I'm going to bite anyway.

Btw Why is Indonesia not an Islamic State? Why has it got a secular government when it has a Muslim majority?
what do you mean by Islamic state?

As far as I know there is not one single country in the world that is an Islamic state (by Islamic state i mean following syariah). Please tell me if I'm wrong.

I cannot speak for other countries, but Indonesia is not an Islamic state because the majority muslims here are still very weak in our iman and Islam. May Allah SWT give Indonesian muslims (and other muslims all over the world) hidayah and strength so we all can implement syar'i in our private and public life.

However, Indonesia is also not an oppressive country. Muslims who live here are free to fully implement syar'i in their life, and the government fully protects the interests of muslims, which makes following Islam and sunnah easy and breezy.

Why is it a friend of the Infidel States at war with Islam?.
Is there any muslim majority country not a friend with United States?

At least Indonesia does not provide any facility to US military and would never allow the US to meddle in our region. Let me tell you something: Had the US done to Indonesia something which they have recently consistently done to Pakistan, we would have gone to war with the US.

Indonesia also does not have political and trade relations with Israel.

al yunan
05-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Assalamu Alaikum brother Karl,

Are you familiar with which form of Islamic knowledge is the Highest and most respected ?
It's the knowledge called "Ilmu Siasat Dunia" roughly meaning in today's terms political science.
One has to be an Alim of nearly all the basic sciences such as Quran, Ahadith, Adab, Shariah, history and Fiqh.
More knowledge than is required to be a Mufti, for one can't pass judgement with out a holistic understanding of Islam.
Siasat deals with intricacies of human nature and Ahadith of Zaman (specific periods) and Qadr / Qadar backed by Quran and Tafsir.
Therefore brother it's easy for us to find fault with nearly all around us but lets not forget that criticism without solution is Fitnah and solutions without Ilm is Fitnah as well.
Indonesia nor any other country for that matter can go against their Taqdir nor what what told by our beloved prophet s.a.w.
The one resource left to us, is to Dua for the Ummah in general and try to lead and encourage each other by example.
We are all born where Allah S.W.T chooses for us and at a time in history also by His choice.

Lets rejoice in our opportunity to serve Allah S.W.T with Khidmatul Din and to strive together for His Ridha.
Amin
Masalam

abdul14
02-03-2024, 09:39 AM
Indeed, in Islam, the consumption of alcohol is prohibited. However, permissible drinks in Islam include a wide range of beverages such as water, tea, coffee, milk, and various non-alcoholic soft drinks. These beverages are considered halal (lawful) and can be enjoyed in moderation. The key consideration is to avoid anything that may intoxicate or harm one's body, adhering to the principles of moderation and well-being in Islamic teachings.
Milk, in particular, holds a special place, and there's a dua (prayer) specifically for drinking milk: 'Allahumma baarik lana feehi wa zidna minhu.' (Translation: 'O Allah, bless it for us and give us more from it.')
For a deeper understanding and the dua for drinking milk, I recommend checking out Spiritual significance of dua for milk in Islam and its benefits. It provides valuable insights into the significance of this dua, enriching your spiritual experience during the consumption of this blessed beverage.

Lif3sci
02-06-2024, 05:31 PM
Most freshly pressed juices develop a little bit of alcohol if sitting for a couple of hours, and continue to do so with time. Many drugs and kitchen ingredients also contain alcohol (i.e. vanilla extract used in baking).

But none of these are intoxicating in the present quantities.

My understanding is that these are permissible.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!