PDA

View Full Version : Feminism in the arab world



Getoffmyback
05-14-2011, 11:47 PM
My opinion is simply "anomality" i will elaborate about it But i want to learn about you nice folk's point of view.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
05-14-2011, 11:58 PM
^ You elaborate first. :)
Reply

Dagless
05-15-2011, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by Getoffmyback
My opinion is simply "anomality" i will elaborate about it But i want to learn about you nice folk's point of view.
Originally Posted by Guestfellow
^ You elaborate first. :)

Define "anomality" too.
Reply

CosmicPathos
05-15-2011, 12:10 AM
i am arab feminist. what do you want to know?
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
ProudMuslimSis
05-15-2011, 12:34 AM
Arab world only? Or, do you mean in Islamic communities?
What is your focus and interest?
Reply

Ramadhan
05-15-2011, 03:34 AM
Originally Posted by Dagless
Define "anomality" too.
Define "feminism" also
Reply

al yunan
05-15-2011, 09:31 AM
With all these questions I dont think O.P writer is coming back.

Why the thread ?
What are you ?
Reply

Cabdullahi
05-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by naidamar

Define "feminism" also
define masculinity for me
Reply

Getoffmyback
05-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Hahaha my cpu got overclocked. Ok somehow everything that starts abroad from arab countries is genuine and by the time it reaches the arab countries it gets distorted or misunderstood. It's not that i'm an expert in feminism But i can see women's attitudes here in leb that's What feminism is for them an attitude rebellious attitude on No basis . They're not independent they live with their parents But when they are outside the house the whole world should revolve around them specially after watching couple of modern romantic movies where the story goes about a woman who fell in love with 16 guys and still not sure which one was the right one. So i feel that only the "sex and dancing" side of equality between men and women are understood here in leb.

Alright i live on the 10 floor So be nice and easy Ok.
Reply

aamirsaab
05-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by mad_scientist
i am arab feminist. what do you want to know?
Originally Posted by naidamar

Define "feminism" also
Originally Posted by thequietone
define masculinity for me
Nice bit of trolling there guys. You make me proud *wipes tear from eye*
Reply

Karl
05-16-2011, 12:57 AM
The Taliban have a good policy on feminism and that is backed by a lot of Arabs.
Feminism is the destruction of a nation. It is backed by Antichrist zionists, communists/socialists and all manner of Hellish minions.
All good God fearing people should stay well away from this wickedness.
Feminism promotes the break up of the family and homosexuality. Most feminists are angry left wing lesbians.
Reply

ardianto
05-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Getoffmyback
Hahaha my cpu got overclocked. Ok somehow everything that starts abroad from arab countries is genuine and by the time it reaches the arab countries it gets distorted or misunderstood. It's not that i'm an expert in feminism But i can see women's attitudes here in leb that's What feminism is for them an attitude rebellious attitude on No basis . They're not independent they live with their parents But when they are outside the house the whole world should revolve around them specially after watching couple of modern romantic movies where the story goes about a woman who fell in love with 16 guys and still not sure which one was the right one. So i feel that only the "sex and dancing" side of equality between men and women are understood here in leb.

Alright i live on the 10 floor So be nice and easy Ok.
Feminism in Arab World ? which part of Arab World do you mean ? Lebanese life style is very different than Saudi life style.
Reply

al yunan
05-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Getoffmyback
So i feel that only the "sex and dancing" side of equality between men and women are understood here in leb.

Salam,
I think you misunderstand, loose morality is not feminism.
Reply

Getoffmyback
05-16-2011, 03:37 PM
I know that my presentation of this thread was poor . As i remember i posted it after i heard some girls in a cafe talking about the "it's my life and I wanna do Whatever i want with it . Why do men do it and we don't" type of conversations. You see that's the type of feminism circulated in the lebanese lounges.


My criticism is about those who are dependent on men But wants to be rebellious and to talk for talk. it's something caused by foreign life styles But i never met a foreign woman who talks like lebanese .
Reply

Getoffmyback
05-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Anyways i accuse zealous men of driving women towards becoming rebellious. an old song says this is a men's world But it will be nothing without a woman or a girl.

This social conservatism is growing in veils and beards only But declining in faith. Muslim controlled societies will never take muslims anywhere But towards more conservatism But in a decline in faith. Cos all i can see is plenty of veiled women and plenty of bearded men only Because of their loyalty to traditions not enlightenment . Women are veiled only to avoid gossip of the conservative closed minded society . Men are the cause of this closed society Because of their aggression fueled by honor. A man could become really aggressive only Because someone looked at his sister or if she looked at someone while he can do whatever he wants. So this fear of unjust punishment is causing girls to become rebellious on the closed society since it's controlled by men ,the zealous ones who wants women to obey and abide by force and only force.

So this is a men's world But it will be nothing without an obeying woman or a girl . That's How would be the arabic version of the song.

Then you have the liberal women who went in their rebellious attitude to a ridiculous level where its becoming anomal or just boring to listen to cos it's bratish. But being liberal in a closed society is like a trend now or a fashion cos you will notice the cultural differences even in a muslim area. like my area it's full of veils and beards. then 5 minutes from my house you'll see the liberals and trust me not literally liberals, only fashionably. And What's sad is that most of those liberals comes from conservative closed minded families where showing feelings is too much for them to deal with when it comes to enlightening their kids cos they conclude any argument with DON'T THIS AND DON'T DO THAT COS ITS HARAM and god will burn you in hell . So running away from this nonsentical environment to becoming anomaly liberal is the sad part that i'm seeing here in my society .

Everything is happening under the table or behind closed doors. nothing can be seen in public (till now i'm talking about north of lebanon where i live) . It's messed up in lebanon "from my opinion" Because of our confessional system and the control of shari'a and churches of civil laws. Cos for me sharia has lost it's legitimacy Because it's unjust when it wants to be implemented word by word in some areas But will be modified where it suits the system. Like in beirut you'll see mosques and churches right next to pubs and clubs , like the mosque built by hariri in downtown beirut is surrounded by everything you can imagine from pubs clubs restaurants , belly dancing, alcohol.....But go north where i live or south you'll see a different thing. I lived in beirut for one year the mentality is more open and relaxed comparing to south cos i served the army there , and north where i was borned. I hope i made sense of What i wrote cos my mind is on a 180 miles per hour everytime i think about this social nonsense.
Reply

al yunan
05-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Salam brother Getoffmyback,

In your own language you must be a writer or a reporter, now that I read more of your writings.
I also come to realise your writings are not a critique but rather a reaction to your environment.
For to any person who does not know your nation's history you wont be understood and you'll get no empathy outside the immediate to you Mediterranean area.
Wars and especially civil ones leave scars that turn young boys to old men and turn joy to cynicism.
Happiness always belongs to others and has a limit, for most fear it will bear retribution.

I also come a nation that keeps on living under the threat of it's own history and as such lags behind Europe and only leads in banality and total selfishness of existence with now and then minor deeds of charity only to convince themselves that they are still human.
This is the time my friend when your faith be it political or religious will set you free of national constraints to be part of the rest who think and feel as you do; or imprison you, body mind and soul until you are worth no more to any faith or cause.
There is a cliche saying but true "today is the first day of the rest of your life".
Make a decision and stop eyeing the world from your tenth floor balcony for we are men and meant to pray and not hawks to look down below for prey.
I 'm not sure in what you believe even so:

May Allah S.W.T grant you a helping hand.
Masalam
Reply

Getoffmyback
05-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Eh Habibi al yunan :) i'm still downloading my religious views:) one thing i'm sure about is excluding the permissibale and impermissible part ,the punishment and reward part. Also the bloody end of days part.
Reply

LauraS
05-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Karl
The Taliban have a good policy on feminism and that is backed by a lot of Arabs.
Feminism is the destruction of a nation. It is backed by Antichrist zionists, communists/socialists and all manner of Hellish minions.
All good God fearing people should stay well away from this wickedness.
Feminism promotes the break up of the family and homosexuality. Most feminists are angry left wing lesbians.

Oh gooosh, I'm going to get drawn into repeating myself lol but I can't resist. This post just screams DEBATE DEBATE. :P

So! I have read about the Taliban's policies regarding women, not being allowed out without a male escort, not being allowed to work, go to school. What do you think women should be allowed to do? Feminism in places like the UK at the moment often involves women reading sexism where there is none although I often moan about how women are protrayed in films. In certain Arabic countries however women want to have the right to choose who they marry, to not be forced into marriage to men old enough to be their grandfather or they are sent to jail (there are women in Afghanistan still in jail to this day). I read an article today in which an Iranian judge claimed "In Iranian law men are worth two women." Comments like that are outdated, ridiculous and plain untrue. But while attitudes like this exists then good luck to the feminists of the Arab world.


Dictionary.com didn't know what anomality was either.^o)
Reply

sister herb
05-17-2011, 07:28 PM
What if "feminism" is just fighting for respect rights of women as Islam says. In most of "islamic" countries they are not respected as they should be.
Reply

Getoffmyback
05-17-2011, 08:12 PM
@al yunan you understood me well . And really i wasn't criticising i was only voicing out . You're a good friend. Habibi al yunan. Take care.

@karl i will change the title to feminism in lebanon:) when i get on my computer.
Reply

Karl
05-20-2011, 03:58 AM
Originally Posted by LauraS
Oh gooosh, I'm going to get drawn into repeating myself lol but I can't resist. This post just screams DEBATE DEBATE. :P

So! I have read about the Taliban's policies regarding women, not being allowed out without a male escort, not being allowed to work, go to school. What do you think women should be allowed to do? Feminism in places like the UK at the moment often involves women reading sexism where there is none although I often moan about how women are protrayed in films. In certain Arabic countries however women want to have the right to choose who they marry, to not be forced into marriage to men old enough to be their grandfather or they are sent to jail (there are women in Afghanistan still in jail to this day). I read an article today in which an Iranian judge claimed "In Iranian law men are worth two women." Comments like that are outdated, ridiculous and plain untrue. But while attitudes like this exists then good luck to the feminists of the Arab world.


Dictionary.com didn't know what anomality was either.^o)
All these policies are for the protection of women in Afghanistan. At the end of the day womens role in Muslim culture is to marry have children and look after the home and cooking etc. The mens role is to provide and protect their family. I suppose it is a totally patrist system. But this system has always worked the best as it is a natural system. And considered good and Godly by all the main religions.
I think you have your wires crossed about forced marriage. Girls and women can refuse to marry. Girls sometimes marry old men because they may like old men, he may have wealth and property and the girl may not have to wait long to get it.
In that Iranian law comment I think you took it out of context. It means a man is worth two women as a witness to a crime. The reason for this is that a man has an analytical calculating mind better for recalling details and data processing as in ancient times was the hunter. The woman is the carer and stayed in the tribal camp looking after domestic responsibilities.

"What do you think women should be allowed to do?" That's not for me to dictate to anyone. At the end of the day it's each to their own. But for me personally I couldn't tolerate a feminist around me. I hate them.
Reply

LauraS
05-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Karl
All these policies are for the protection of women in Afghanistan. At the end of the day womens role in Muslim culture is to marry have children and look after the home and cooking etc. The mens role is to provide and protect their family. I suppose it is a totally patrist system. But this system has always worked the best as it is a natural system. And considered good and Godly by all the main religions.
I think you have your wires crossed about forced marriage. Girls and women can refuse to marry. Girls sometimes marry old men because they may like old men, he may have wealth and property and the girl may not have to wait long to get it.
In that Iranian law comment I think you took it out of context. It means a man is worth two women as a witness to a crime. The reason for this is that a man has an analytical calculating mind better for recalling details and data processing as in ancient times was the hunter. The woman is the carer and stayed in the tribal camp looking after domestic responsibilities.

"What do you think women should be allowed to do?" That's not for me to dictate to anyone. At the end of the day it's each to their own. But for me personally I couldn't tolerate a feminist around me. I hate them.
It be that women should be allowed to refuse a man but there are cases where women and even girls are forced to. There was a case of a 12 year old being made to marry an old man and I don't imagine she wanted it.

I don't think the Iranian comment was out of context because it was about an Iranian woman who refused a man's marriage proposal so he threw acid in her face. She asked the court if he could be blinded with acid and the court said yes but then said only one of his eyes could be blinded because one man is worth two women. As for the comment you made about men and women's minds I doubt that would be the attitudes in many courts these days! Imagine if a court said they couldn't pay as much attention to a woman witness because her mind doesn't recall details as well as a man?! Once again that's a ridiculous male attitude to have that's more suited to the 18th century.

As for women working, although the children have to be considered of course (not to have both parents working and not seeing them) it might be hard for some women to imagine being stuck in a house all their lives and not have any ambitions. Put yourself in a woman's shoes.
Reply

ardianto
05-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by LauraS
As for women working, although the children have to be considered of course (not to have both parents working and not seeing them) it might be hard for some women to imagine being stuck in a house all their lives and not have any ambitions. Put yourself in a woman's shoes.
Depend on the women themselves.

If you come to my place maybe you will be surprised when you find, there are many educated women who chose to stop work and become a house wife, after they married or after they have a child. This is not because their husband forced them, no. Women in my place have a freedom to choose their profession, and house wife is a profession. And don't they have an ambition ?. They have. Raising their children and become a good mother is their ambition.

This is Eastern culture, Laura.
Reply

LauraS
05-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Depend on the women themselves.

If you come to my place maybe you will be surprised when you find, there are many educated women who chose to stop work and become a house wife, after they married or after they have a child. This is not because their husband forced them, no. Women in my place have a freedom to choose their profession, and house wife is a profession. And don't they have an ambition ?. They have. Raising their children and become a good mother is their ambition.

This is Eastern culture, Laura.
If a woman chooses to be a housewife then fair enough. I'm not saying if their ambitions are to raise their children well there's anything wrong with that, just that if they have other paths they want to follow, they should. I'm not someone who looks down on women who choose traditional roles. :)
Reply

Karl
05-24-2011, 01:43 AM
Originally Posted by LauraS
It be that women should be allowed to refuse a man but there are cases where women and even girls are forced to. There was a case of a 12 year old being made to marry an old man and I don't imagine she wanted it.

I don't think the Iranian comment was out of context because it was about an Iranian woman who refused a man's marriage proposal so he threw acid in her face. She asked the court if he could be blinded with acid and the court said yes but then said only one of his eyes could be blinded because one man is worth two women. As for the comment you made about men and women's minds I doubt that would be the attitudes in many courts these days! Imagine if a court said they couldn't pay as much attention to a woman witness because her mind doesn't recall details as well as a man?! Once again that's a ridiculous male attitude to have that's more suited to the 18th century.

As for women working, although the children have to be considered of course (not to have both parents working and not seeing them) it might be hard for some women to imagine being stuck in a house all their lives and not have any ambitions. Put yourself in a woman's shoes.
I am speaking from a Muslim perspective, hey if you don't like Islam you don't have to. But to get to the thread, there is no feminism in the Arab world as most Arabs are Muslims and the Quran does not mention feminism, only the rights of males, females and animals. The moral values are set until the End of Days. They don't change by whim or fashion.
Reply

Cabdullahi
05-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Some feminists wear undergarments with groin holes in them to mimic male urination because they'd feel less equal otherwise
Reply

Karl
05-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by thequietone
Some feminists wear undergarments with groin holes in them to mimic male urination because they'd feel less equal otherwise
I think penis envy may have a lot to do with feminism. The main activists are freaks, men trapped in womens bodies.
Also in the "Elders of Zion" feminism was promoted, to break down the family of the Gentiles and weaken them.
Reply

Cabdullahi
05-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Karl
I think penis envy may have a lot to do with feminism. The main activists are freaks, men trapped in womens bodies.
Also in the "Elders of Zion" feminism was promoted, to break down the family of the Gentiles and weaken them.
My previous post was a joke, i think your wrong, its a bit far-fetched and silly. if men treated women good we wouldn't have feminists.

I believe in feminism, feminism that uplifts the woman and helps her attain all her rights, but i don't believe in feminism that seeks to make men redundant, feminism that confuses women.

i agree with you regarding the aim to break down the family

sexualised culture (sexual images everywhere) = overstimulated male who only thinks about sex

women with bobbed hair writing columns in magazines + portrayal of the male in movies as some predator incapable of having a long term relationships = women feel uneasy and worried

overstimulated male meets uneasy and worried woman = woman gets freaked out
Reply

Impey
05-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by mad_scientist
i am arab feminist. what do you want to know?
Do you feel in anyway inferior to men?
Reply

LauraS
05-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Karl
I am speaking from a Muslim perspective, hey if you don't like Islam you don't have to. But to get to the thread, there is no feminism in the Arab world as most Arabs are Muslims and the Quran does not mention feminism, only the rights of males, females and animals. The moral values are set until the End of Days. They don't change by whim or fashion.
Those cases aren't about Islam though, I highly doubt Islam would condone throwing acid at a woman for refusing to marry or forcing a 12 year old to marry. This is almost about male arrogance, thinking women should just do their bidding and have no say in their own lives.
Reply

al yunan
05-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Assalamu alaikum to all,

Originally Posted by LauraS
Put yourself in a woman's shoes.
Are you sure that's a sight you realy want to see ?+o(

Originally Posted by Karl
Also in the "Elders of Zion" feminism was promoted, to break down the family of the Gentiles and weaken them.
Actually there are a couple of books that describe in detail on how to degrade society but most people would never believe the extent of the Masons influence and almost total control of our world. Ah! consiracy theories, the usual reply to any devastating truth. People don't like to admit that they are ignorant.:omg:

Originally Posted by thequietone
I believe in feminism, feminism that uplifts the woman and helps her attain all her rights, but i don't believe in feminism that seeks to make men redundant, feminism that confuses women.
I don't think you realy know what feminism is, have you read "Sapho" or the rites of Hira. By the way it's not advisable reading for any Muslim, I think it would even make Iblis blush:phew. As far as Islam is concerned any "ism" is out and joining such would be an act of Murtad based on the Hadith "he who leaves the Jammah has left Islam"


Originally Posted by Impey
Do you feel in anyway inferior to men?
He is a guy !:embarrass

Masalam
Reply

Cabdullahi
05-25-2011, 05:28 PM
i didnt know that, i stand to correct myself and say i dont believe in feminism, islam gives women their rights and i believe in that
Reply

Rhubarb Tart
05-25-2011, 05:38 PM
:sl:

Feminism started off as legitimate cause. Feminism is subjective. The prophet (swt) can be seen as ‘feminist’.

Plus, Islam gives women rights. But some people misinterpret Islam to the extreme or follow culture rather than religion. Hence: the ban on driving, education, work, forced marriage, domestic violence, men only mosque etc!
Reply

Getoffmyback
05-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Somehow i feel that most of you feels that they are guardians of islam on this forum.
Reply

al yunan
05-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by sweet106
Feminism started off as legitimate cause. Feminism is subjective. The prophet (swt) can be seen as ‘feminist’.

Walaikum assalam sister,

I you sure you want the Khatibain to record that statement ?:hmm:

Masalam
Reply

Getoffmyback
05-25-2011, 10:51 PM
The word submission is So beautiful specially for the believers which i envy. But those who loves to submit should treat women according to a genuine submission. Meaning What would a woman ask for more than a true submitted islamic husband . Anyways according to my humble mind i will quote What you say "god knows best"
Reply

ardianto
05-26-2011, 04:45 AM
Originally Posted by al yunan
Assalamu alaikum to all,


Are you sure that's a sight you realy want to see ?+o(

It's not easy to find woman shoes that fit for your feet. Woman's feet are smaller than man's. ;D
Reply

ayesha.ansari
05-26-2011, 05:15 AM
I agree with you ardianto Women should have a right to choose their profession but always men should be careful that what ever profession they choose include dignity.
Reply

ardianto
05-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by ayesha.ansari
I agree with you ardianto Women should have a right to choose their profession but always men should be careful that what ever profession they choose include dignity.
Ulama in my place have issued a fatwa "making money for the family is responsibility of the husband, not the wife". It's because some husbands in my place were going lazy. They forced their wives to work but they never tried to find a job for themselves. When people ask them "why don't you work", they always replied "don't you know how hard to find a job". But when someone offered a job, those lazy husbands gave thousands reasons to refuse that job.

Sadly, I know some of them personally.

Now I am looking for a male employee, but those lazy people are not in my list. Sorry, I don't want to waste my time to offer a job to people who never want to work.
Reply

GuestFellow
05-26-2011, 04:56 PM
^ EMPLOY ME!

I wish you lived in the UK. :/
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!