/* */

PDA

View Full Version : burial question..

nutty
05-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Assalamun alaikum

couple of years back my brother attended a funeral..his's friends dad...he was talkin about the burial and way saying how after they closed the coffin they placed two big slab on top of the coffin...he didnt know why..so i was wondering if any knew why they placed two big slab on top of the coffin..and then they covered it with the soil.

jazak-Allaah Khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
yas2010
05-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Waslaam.

Was this burial in the UK?

nutty
05-15-2011, 09:02 PM
yes sister it was

yas2010
05-15-2011, 09:12 PM
My Dad was buried in the UK too and i too remember the 'slabs' that you refer to. when we bury our dead in the UK i believe we also purchase the land and the local authorities in the UK ensure that graves are 'chambers', so that there are slabs on the side and on the top. This ensures that the graves are not reused again.

I have spoken to the head of cemetrys in my local borough and it seems to be the norm for other faiths that their graves can have more than deceased buried within them. Its all to do with economics and price of land. Shocking i know. Hope this answer helps.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ramadhan
05-15-2011, 09:12 PM
In Indonesia, after the body is placed in the grave, several planks of woods are placed on top of the body to create a little bit of air space before the dirt are shovel back in on top of it. I think it's part of sunnah, not sure about the dalil. We dont use coffins though.

yas2010
05-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Waslaam Br Naidmar

The same happens in Pakistan i believe. In the UK the decease remains in the coffin but the cover of the coffin is removed.

cuezed
05-15-2011, 10:26 PM
I remember in Pakistan they put the deceased into the ground and put bricks over it to create a little room for the body. Then they threw the dirt on top. In the UK I've seen they keep the body in the coffin and just fill the grave up with soil

Hamza Asadullah
05-15-2011, 10:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cuezed
I remember in Pakistan they put the deceased into the ground and put bricks over it to create a little room for the body. Then they threw the dirt on top. In the UK I've seen they keep the body in the coffin and just fill the grave up with soil
Asalaamu Alaikum, According to Sheikh Muhammad ibn Adam regarding the structure of the graves in terms of slabs for reinforcement:

When the land is soft and gets easily waterlogged and there is a possibility of the grave collapsing, then it is totally permissible to reinforce the grave by making walls on the side. Also putting a slab at the top is permissible (effectively entombing the body and then cover the rest of the grave to ground level with earth).

It is better to put soil at the bottom of the chamber (with earth on the floor of the effective chamber so that the body is in contact with earth). [See Ibn Abidin in his "Hashiya" v.2,p.234].

Source: http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...D=718&CATE=115

And Allah knows best in all matters

al yunan
05-15-2011, 10:48 PM
Salam to all.

Since we are here who would like to comment on the best way as per Sunnah to burry some one !

Masalam

nutty
05-16-2011, 12:31 PM
O reali is dat why...i thot it was becos when there is a shortage of land for muslim people to be buried they dig up the graves and put another coffin on top...I read sumwhere that if there is a shortage of land then that is allowed to do..mayb am wrg..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!