/* */

PDA

View Full Version : the pill

anonymous
05-16-2011, 02:24 PM
I am looking for advice about the pill. how far away from engaging in intimacy with my husband must I take it? If I were to take it a day before will it work or must I wait longer?
i am getting married i am worried i dont want to get pregnany.t right away.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
05-16-2011, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
I am looking for advice about the pill. how far away from engaging in intimacy with my husband must I take it? If I were to take it a day before will it work or must I wait longer?
i am getting married i am worried i dont want to get pregnany.t right away.
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Regarding the morning after pill then please read the following by Sheikh Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari :

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful

The morning-after pill (emergency contraception) is estimated to prevent about 85% of pregnancies. It is thought to work by:

a) Stopping the ovaries from releasing an egg,

b) Preventing sperm from fertilizing any egg that may have already been released; or, (importantly)

c) Stopping a fertilized egg from attaching itself into the womb lining. (See: The official brochure of Schering Health Care Limited, manufacturers of Levonelle pills).

Other experts state:

"Popularly dubbed the morning-after pill, the drug Levonelle can actually be taken up to 72 hours after intercourse. The 1861 Offences against the Person Act prohibits the supply of any "poison or other noxious thing" with intent to cause miscarriage. SPUC's argument is based on the fact that the drug stops an embryo from implanting in the lining of the womb. The organisation successfully applied last year for leave to bring a judicial review of the government's decision to reclassify the drug as suitable for over-the-counter sale. The court will be asked to consider "what is the precise moment at which a woman becomes pregnant." Is it when the egg is fertilized, or when the resulting embryo is implanted in the womb? If it is the former, then the court could rule that emergency contraception causes a miscarriage and is illegal."

From an Islamic perspective, temporary contraception is permitted in cases of individual needs as explained in earlier posts. The various methods of temporary and reversible contraception prevent the sperm from fertilizing the egg, hence they are permitted. However, if a particular method was to expel the fertilized ovum and prevent it from attaching itself into the womb lining, then the ruling would be somewhat different.

Shaykh Taqi Usmani (may Allah preserve him) states whilst discussing the employment of a loop as a means of contraception:

"In the first case where the loop acts as a preventive measure against fertilization, it is similar to any other contraceptive and the rules regarding al-azl (withdrawal method & temporary contraception in general) may be applied to the loop also, i.e. its use is permissible in Shari'a in cases of individual needs, like the sickness or the weakness of the woman where pregnancy may endanger her health.

In the second case, however, (when fertilization takes place, and the fertilized ovum is expelled from the uterus by the loop), the rules of al-azl cannot be applied, because in that case it is not merely a preventive measure; rather, it expels the fertilized ovum from the uterus after conception. Therefore, it acts as a device to effect an abortion. Hence, the rules of abortion shall apply�.As the loop expels the fertilized ovum within two weeks, its use cannot be held as prohibited totally. However, being a device of abortion, its use is not advisable and it should be restricted to the cases of the real medical needs only." (Contemporary Fatawa, P: 136-137)

In light of the above Fatwa, it becomes clear that if a reversible contraceptive device acts after the sperm has fertilized the egg and the device merely prevents a fertilized egg from implanting itself into the womb lining, then the ruling on employing such a contraceptive device would be different. The ruling on such contraceptive devices would be similar to that of carrying out an abortion at an earlier stage, which is impermissible unless there is a genuine and valid reason.

Therefore, the morning-after pill will have the same ruling as the loop, for it may work by stopping a fertilized egg from attaching itself into the womb, as mentioned above.. Thus, the rules of an early abortion would apply in this case also; and hence it should only be used in extreme medical conditions.

In conclusion, the ruling on employing the loop, the morning-after pill or any other method that may act after the egg has been fertilized as a means of contraception is somewhat different to the general ruling on reversible contraception (al-azl). Reversible contraception is generally permitted if practised on an individual level, whilst employing any method that may prevent a fertilized egg from implanting itself into the womb will not be allowed except in certain medical conditions, for which one should consult a reliable scholar of knowledge and piety.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Source: http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=4930&CATE=117

جوري
05-16-2011, 07:44 PM
I am looking for advice about the pill. how far away from engaging in intimacy with my husband must I take it? If I were to take it a day before will it work or must I wait longer? i am getting married i am worried i dont want to get pregnany.t right away.

what kind of pill will you go on?
most work right away, I'd use two forms of contraception like a barrier method along with the pill for the first three days. Also know your fertile days, you can only conceive for 3-5 possible days out of the entire month. Chances of getting pregnant on a first encounter are less than 10% without any form of contraception!

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

anonymous
05-19-2011, 02:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ

what kind of pill will you go on?
most work right away, I'd use two forms of contraception like a barrier method along with the pill for the first three days. Also know your fertile days, you can only conceive for 3-5 possible days out of the entire month. Chances of getting pregnant on a first encounter are less than 10% without any form of contraception!

and Allah swt knows best

:sl:

im on microgynon will it go into effect right away? jazakallah sister and brother hamza

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
05-19-2011, 02:48 PM
:sl:

im on microgynon will it go into effect right away? jazakallah sister and brother hamza
Is that your chosen method of contraception or just what the doctor recommended? Ideally you should take it on the first day of your period and it will work right away and take it the same time every day, if you miss a dose then take it as soon as possible, if you miss it morethan three days then stop using it and use a barrier method..but if your nervous about pregnancy when first starting then use a combination barrier/pill for the first few days!
This pill has an advantage that if you stop it you can start getting pregnant right away, but it is a pain for most people to remember taking a pill every day so folks opt for other options, weekly, monthly or every three months like Depo-Provera which is what many women prefer because it is an injection given every three months and you can just forget about it...

I am not going to give a personal opinion on BCP's but please make sure you read ALL the side effects and understand ALL the risk factors.. BCP can be protective against certain cancers but also have a whole host of problems especially if you have certain factor deficiencies, smoke, 35 yrs of age, also if you have a history of migraine.. most people omit that migraine part but it is a relative contraindication!

and Allah swt knows best

gladTidings
05-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Assalamualaikum

Sis Lily has covered most of it. I would suggest you start taking the pill atleast one month before you get married just so you know if it agrees with you and see if you can maintain the routine of taking a pill everyday. Generally, you need to have had atleast 7 tablets in a row before you are protected. Im assuming your on the microgynon and not microgynonED? The ED is for every day use where as the microgynon is a 21 day cycle and includes 7 pill free days. The missed pill advice comes with the tablets or if in doubt ask your pharmacist.

جوري
05-19-2011, 08:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peãrl
Assalamualaikum

Sis Lily has covered most of it. I would suggest you start taking the pill atleast one month before you get married just so you know if it agrees with you and see if you can maintain the routine of taking a pill everyday. Generally, you need to have had atleast 7 tablets in a row before you are protected. Im assuming your on the microgynon and not microgynonED? The ED is for every day use where as the microgynon is a 21 day cycle and includes 7 pill free days. The missed pill advice comes with the tablets or if in doubt ask your pharmacist.
Actually you did a far better job, Jazaki Allah khyran.. the pill 'agreeing' is something many people don't consider and they really should..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!